WV Robert Shaffer, Charleston, Still missing since July 1, 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

WNYer

Reaction score
Missing Person: Robert L. Shaffer, Male, Charleston, Robert Shaffer was last seen leaving St. Francis Hospital in Charleston where he had been transported for care. He left on his own free will without being released by the doctors. He was reported missing 2 weeks later by his family in Tennessee. His credit card had been used at a bar within the area, and some of his other personal possessions were also found., Missing Location: Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia. If you know any information, please Contact: West Virginia State Police, Phone: 304-558-7777 .
PS:
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 150-160 lbs.
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Large cross tattooed on his left forearm; right arm is deformed because Shaffer was shot with a muzzle loader.
Case Number: 4110-66646

Missing Persons: Robert L. Shaffer - Missing Type: Got Lost - State:

Robert L. Shaffer – The Charley Project

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Seems like a very under-represented case and hope to change that!

Robert L. Shaffer​

robert_l._shaffer_1.jpg

Shaffer, circa 2010
  • Missing Since 07/01/2010
  • Missing From Charleston, West Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 25 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 160 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Shaffer has a history of mental illness and may also be an alcoholic.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Shaffer has a large tattoo of a cross on his left forearm. He was shot with a muzzle-loader when he was 13 and his right arm is deformed as a result; it's eight or nine inches shorter than his left arm.

Details of Disappearance​

Shaffer was last seen in Charleston, West Virginia at 8:15 p.m. on July 1, 2010. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital for treatment, but left without being cleared for release. His mother in Tennessee reported him missing two days later.

Shaffer's credit card was used after his disappearance at a now-closed bar on Leon Sullivan Way. At 9:00 p.m., forty-five minutes after he was last seen, his backpack and cellular phone were found at the Charleston Area Medical Center a few blocks from the bar.

Shaffer lived in Elkview, West Virginia in 2010. There hasn't been any activity on his bank account since he went missing. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear.

Robert L. Shaffer – The Charley Project

Bump for Shaffer

I couldn’t find any info on the internet about this case. I also didn’t find an open police file on my search results, which given my experience so far makes me wonder if they found him later and closed the case?

Do they close cases even without resolution?

Bump for Shaffer

I couldn’t find any info on the internet about this case. I also didn’t find an open police file on my search results, which given my experience so far makes me wonder if they found him later and closed the case?

Do they close cases even without resolution?
He’s still in NamUs.gov database and has not been located to my knowledge. Just highly underrepresented case .

He’s still in NamUs.gov database and has not been located to my knowledge. Just highly underrepresented case .

It is really sad, Robert was a handsome young man. I saw some indications he may have had alcohol use disorder and wondered if he could have bounced from the hospital, went straight to the bar, and then may have taken his own life? Any bridges and rivers in town? The key would be the detail about someone using his card at the bar… did they not confirm who could have used the card or if it was him? It doesn’t state why Robert had gone to the hospital, if it was related to substances, the focus would seem to indicate more of a personal adversity disappearance rather than random foul play, but I can only speculate given what few details I’ve been able to see.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hustling01
Back