Ron C. #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just needed to post this because I was just WOW when I read it. I am sure you all have read it and are talking about it but I have been gone most of the day and playing catch up:

Cummings has cut off interviews with investigators

---

Maj. Gary Bowling, director of law enforcement for the department, said detectives would like to interview Cummings again but have been resisted

---
“We’ve said from day one Misty’s story is absolutely filled with inconsistencies,” Bowling said

----

Bowling said it takes rock-solid alibis before detectives can eliminate anyone and those have not been established.

This last one is a doosy..no rock solid albi for any of them which of course includes Ron as well....

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/me...aleighs_family_remains_divided_6_months_later

I have never witnessed a release due to a wrongful conviction. I have not seen an overturn either.

I have seen things on TV and don't know the background of the case but I am willing to bet that those who were convicted wrongly may have been due to a human eye witness. My time was before DNA came to the forefront but I have seen many people describe the perp incorrectly.

I have just now caught up on this thread.

The old DNA debate is not applicable here. (as was referenced in a previous post) DNA does clear a person as well as convict a person. It goes both ways. DNA has cleared some who were convicted in the past as well as lead to the actual guilty party. DNA technology has progressed to a point that it is a fool proof tool now.

respectfully snipped...
Well, LE cannot clear the home circle. That tells me a lot. JMO. Thank God this is the U.S., and in this country we are entitled to our own opinion.

Re the bolded part....only time will tell if it truly is a foolproof tool. There is substantial debate amongst scientists on the point, limited databases for people of certain backgrounds, real argument about the reliability of the statistics being provided to juries etc, and we know that there has already been at least a couple of cases where even though there was a DNA match, that matched person did not commit the crime. It wasn't that long ago they believed hair samples were reliable evidence, and since the intro of DNA we know that was very wrong and many of the hair sample opinion evidence convictions have since been overturned. Not to mention, much DNA is found in a mixed form, and is very open to interpretation. I've seen substantial debate in Court and very conflicting evidence given by DNA experts on the same data.

Unless I missed something, LE have not cleared either home circle so it really doesn't tell me much at all that Ron and his family haven't been cleared when Crystal and her family haven't been cleared either. And, yes, it is good that we live in countries (mine too) where we can have our own opinion and that we have a place like WS where we can express it with other like minded people.

I would certainly send the A's packing myself! But I would welcome Mark Klass and Josh Duckett's help. They have been there and done that, so to speak, and would have invaluable advice for Ronald, IMO.

ETA: Too bad he chose not to accept any help from those two.
Where did you read this?! I haven't seen anywhere that he turned down help from either one of them. Please give me a link as I am shocked!

Well, with all due respect, bunnyphoenix1, what would lead you to believe that they are giving them 100% when they (Ronald and Misty) will not talk with investigators?

I can't say for sure that they are, or that Crystal is, or that anyone is giving 100%. But, I do see that it is a real possibility that LE are focused on Ron & Misty (or at least too focused on them), that Ron & Misty know that and know they aren't responsible, and feel it is a waste of time to assist police who are only trying to gather evidence against them, rather than finding the real person who did it. If LE kept going on tv making insinuations against my spouse and I and not trying to find my child, there is a point where I'd not want to deal with them any more too. If they weren't looking for my child anymore, and were only looking at me, and I hadn't done it, there's a point where I'd stop getting iv'ed too.

As for DNA, we are talking about past convictions that are not applicable here. These cases were before DNA was brought to the forefront in aiding in convictions. This has nothing to do with Ronald.
I think that DNA came up as an example of the issue of guilt, innocence, and the dangers of mistakes concerning the latter. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the core issue.

It has provided some aid in developing irrefutable exonerations. The fact is that there are almost certainly other wrongful convictions where it cannot provide such aid.

I believe that is where the subject started. Wrongful convictions, that is. Not DNA

I would certainly send the A's packing myself! But I would welcome Mark Klass and Josh Duckett's help. They have been there and done that, so to speak, and would have invaluable advice for Ronald, IMO.

ETA: Too bad he chose not to accept any help from those two.

Do you have a link to that? I've never heard that before. The only people I heard about him refusing help from was the A's. I'm glad we both agree on the fact that he did the right thing by sending them packing!

Where did you read this?! I haven't seen anywhere that he turned down help from either one of them. Please give me a link as I am shocked!

I do not have a link. I just remember reading it somewhere. I will just have to correct that to IIRC.

I'm not here to spar either, I want Haleigh's family to have answers, and I wouldn't mind either. IMO And for what it's worth I became attached to this story because my nephew and RC have a striking physical resemblance, even though there are 3100 miles(5000 km) between the two.

Bunny, you are shocked about my post? Not disturbing at all Bunny...if an inmate is doing time, for say, drug sales...and he maybe wasn't guilty this time ( I am not the judge) and he is doing time and he tells you he is not guilty on this charge (?)...you can check his file....more than likely he will have numerous drug charges and worse that he never did time on...it really shouldn't disturb you!

What should disturb you is the number of crimes that people are walking on. What should disturb you is the number of rapist that are released because our laws are weak. In fact robbery has more time than rape. Criminals will plead out the rape for a reduced sentence. Many robbers are rapists but they are doing time just on the robbery. What should disturb people are the court system and judges that are letting these people off.

Ron's record is quite disturbing to me...so is his behavior!

Ron barely has a conviction! For someone who's apparently seen many criminal records, I'm suprised you find his "record" quite disturbing.

And the rest of what you say....we'll have to agree to disagree. Let's just say I believe in the old saying "better to let a guilty person go free than to convict an innocent one". If you ever spend 25 years in jail for a crime you didn't commit, get back to me on that one and tell me if you think differently.

I can't say for sure that they are, or that Crystal is, or that anyone is giving 100%. But, I do see that it is a real possibility that LE are focused on Ron & Misty (or at least too focused on them), that Ron & Misty know that and know they aren't responsible, and feel it is a waste of time to assist police who are only trying to gather evidence against them, rather than finding the real person who did it. If LE kept going on tv making insinuations against my spouse and I and not trying to find my child, there is a point where I'd not want to deal with them any more too. If they weren't looking for my child anymore, and were only looking at me, and I hadn't done it, there's a point where I'd stop getting iv'ed too.

I respect your opinion. I would be just the opposite, tho. I would actually ask the investigators what I had to do to get them to move on from me. I would do whatever they asked. I would also be down there asking what is new or if any progress has been made. If nothing could be shared with me, then I would understand to a point, but would still keep asking.

If LE were falsely accusing my spouse, including on tv, and I knew my spouse wasn't responsible, I would not be assisting police in investigating that avenue further.

LE hasn't physically bashed him, but they've certainly cast aspersions toward him and his wife....you yourself quoted what was said many months ago about Misty being the key.

I have never seen LE accuse Misty of anything. Stating "Misty is the key" is not the same as saying "Misty is the culprit." Misty, even just today in the Jacksonville article, is stated as having inconsistencies which hinder the investigation. Too bad the Cummings couple don't like hearing that. Perhaps it is time to take out the earplugs and work with LE to make those inconsistencies clear up.

And, yes, of course I think they should be investigating others....people make inconsistent statements for all sorts of reasons (fear, confusion, poor memory etc) and I would hope that that would not stop them investigating others, and if it has, that may explain why this investigation has gotten nowhere.

But they have to clear up Misty particularly.........she was the last known person to have seen Haleigh, and if they cannot clearly establish THAT...........Good god. I'm at a loss as to what they're supposed to be able to clearly establish!

I find it interesting that LE has been silent all this time, the Cummings family starts rocking the boat a bit stating they are unhappy with the way the invesitgation is going, starts putting their faces in the media again - and poof LE turns up the heat on RC and Misty - things that make you go hmmmm IMO.

I do not have a link. I just remember reading it somewhere. I will just have to correct that to IIRC.
I think you must be mistaken as I do recall JD going to visit and how much Ronald truly appreciated his support, imo. I also am fairly certain that Marc K. did not go to Satsuma or offer his help...except he did reach out to him by giving words of encouragement and advice while on NG a couple of times. I said it many times on these threads that I would love for Marc to go see him personally. To my knowledge, he did not offer anything for Ronald to turn down!!

This explains more why I believe Josh D. didn't stick around for long:

Earlier in the week, Joshua Duckett and his family stopped in Putnam County to offer support. Duckett's son, Trenton, disappeared more than two years ago and has not been found.

The father said he and his family were in Orlando for the memorial service for Caylee, and as they were on their way home they heard of Haleigh's disappearance and stopped by the Cummings' home.

"I know exactly what they're going through, and by coming over here I'm able to offer a helping hand and say, 'Hey, I'm going what you're going through and I know what it feels like and what to expect. Here's a shoulder to lean on if you need it. I'm here and will to do whatever it takes to find this little girl,'" Duckett said.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18703682/detail.html BBM

I have never witnessed a release due to a wrongful conviction. I have not seen an overturn either.

I have seen things on TV and don't know the background of the case but I am willing to bet that those who were convicted wrongly may have been due to a human eye witness. My time was before DNA came to the forefront but I have seen many people describe the perp incorrectly.
Just for grins I googled "wrongful conviction examples".

This one came up real quick.

Illinois: Madison Hobley, Aaron Patterson, Stanley Howard and LeRoy Orange, pardoned in 2003
  • Sent to death row on the basis of "confessions" extracted through the use of torture by former Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge and other Area 2 police officers in Chicago. They were pardoned by outgoing Governor George Ryan, who also commuted the remaining 167 death sentences in Illinois to life imprisonment.
source

I couldn't agree more about the fallibility of eye witnesses. One of the most egregious cases I've heard of happened about thirty miles from here. The crime victim who provided the eye witness testimony, and the conviction victim who spent decades in jail are currently making a career working together to try and teach people the dangers.

Sadly, there are other causes of wrongful conviction as well. Choosing DAs by election is high on my list.

What is disturbing is that the court chooses not to convict. His record itself is worthy of being into drugs. I will say he is not alone there in Putnam..they are releasing way too many.

RC needed to reach out...

It appears he is more concerned with his perception than pursuing avenues to get the case in the national eye.

That observation is what riles up people.

Ron barely has a conviction! For someone who's apparently seen many criminal records, I'm suprised you find his "record" quite disturbing.

And the rest of what you say....we'll have to agree to disagree. Let's just say I believe in the old saying "better to let a guilty person go free than to convict an innocent one". If you ever spend 25 years in jail for a crime you didn't commit, get back to me on that one and tell me if you think differently.
(my bold above)

I like that one too.

Do you know where it comes from? One of those pesky Colonials said it while he was defending some British soldiers against murder charges after the "Boston Massacre". Two of his relatives later became U.S. presidents.

Well, it used to be an American precept, anyhow.

ETA: I misspoke. The lawyer wasn't related to two presidents. He was only related to one. He was the other one. John Adams.

There was a statement made how Crystal should have fought harder to get her children.

Now is the time for that poster to say RC should fight harder.

Something is very wrong with the lack of willingness to pursue this matter and get the LE moving. They don't like publicity...bad publicity. He could rally the media but sadly he has not. He prefers to stay there at Grandma's. He is not working. He is, for all intentional purposes, hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice