Not open for further replies.

margarita25

Reaction score
Live updates: Russia attacks Ukraine

WS:

Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 **Media Thread** NO DISCUSSION

Military Times
Live Twitter updates from Russia’s massive Ukraine invasion

“As Russian President Vladimir Putin tonight announced a special “special military operation” and reportedly launched a major attack on neighboring Ukraine, President Joe Biden responded that the Russian government would be held accountable for “catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.”

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

Last edited by a moderator:
APPROVED SOURCES
(In addition to approved MSM from around the world)

The Kyiv Independent
Ukrinform
Nexta TV
Hromadske
AtlanticCouncil.org
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL)

NON APPROVED SOURCES
(Do not link to the following Russian state affiliated agencies or sources that promote or spread false information)

TASS
Korrespondent media and all other UMH Group publications found here
RT and RT America
Sputnik
Russia 24
RIA Novosti
Dozhd TV
Ekho Moskvy
Komsomolskaya Pravda
Russia-24
VGTRK (Russia TV)
Aram Gabrelyanov media, including Zhizn, Lifenews.ru, Izvestia

Last edited:
[URL='https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/03/ukraine-news-russia-war-vladimir-putin-biden-latest-live-updates-kherson-kyiv-kharkiv-refugees-russian-invasion?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6221a13b8f08c1dd5f65ab7e#block-6221a13b8f08c1dd5f65ab7e']Russia-Ukraine war latest news: world leaders urge ceasefire after shelling starts fire at nuclear power plant – live | World news | The Guardian[/URL]

33m ago 00:27

Summary
It is 7.27am in Ukraine as Russia’s war on its neighbour enters its ninth day. Here is where the crisis stands:
  • A fire broke out in a training building outside a nuclear power plant in Zaporizhzhia in the early hours of Friday, after being shelled by Russian forces, Ukrainian authorities said. An employee at the plant said Russian forces had fired on the facility and there was “a real threat of nuclear danger at the largest nuclear power plant in Europe”.
  • After burning for at least four hours amid reports Russian troops had prevented emergency teams from attending to the blaze, Ukrainian emergency services confirmed the blaze was extinguished at 6.20am local time. Fighting at the plant has also reportedly stopped, according to the mayor of Enerhodar, a town located south-east of the plant.
  • The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) earlier said it had put its Incident and Emergency Centre in “full 24/7 response mode” due to the “serious situation” unfolding at Zaporizhzhia.
  • However, US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm provided reassurance surrounding the Zaporizhzhia power plant reactors, saying there was no elevated radiation readings near the facility and the plant’s reactors are “protected by robust containment structures and reactors are being safely shut down.”
  • Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy made another appeal to Europe for help following the attack on the nuclear plant. He said: We warn everyone that not a single nation ever shelled nuclear power stations. For the first time in the history of humankind, the terrorist state commits nuclear terrorism.
  • British prime minister Boris Johnson called Russian president Vladimir Putin’s “reckless actions” a danger to the safety of Europe.
  • Russian forces continue to control both local and regional government buildings in the strategically important Black Sea port of Kherson, local authorities said. Russian forces appeared to be moving to cut Ukraine off from the sea via its key southern ports, claiming the capture of Kherson and tightening the siege of Mariupol.
  • Concern is mounting over the movements of a huge column of Russian military vehicles outside Kyiv. While a US defence official suggested it appeared to have “stalled”, there was also speculation that an estimated 15,000 troops attached to it may be regrouping and waiting for logistical supplies before an assault on Kyiv.
  • In a televised speech shortly after his 90-minute call with Macron, Putin claimed Russian military operations in Ukraine were going according to plan. The president went on to accuse Ukrainian forces of using civilians as “human shields” while providing no evidence.

The problem is @Bit of hope , you , I and the many good people here on WS , know probably more than the average as to what’s happening and the pro’s and con’s of this. But many do not and they’re will be given the vote too, quite rightly, but they may not fully comprehend or understand the consequences of their vote if it is for NATO to intervene. And that could most certainly mean WW3 because Putins biggest fear or concern rather is NATO engagement and he’s so irrational right now that it may force his hand to hit the nuclear button….

I agree on this, look what happened in the UK.

We had this in 2016

Raadgevend referendum Oekraïne 2016

Ukraine 2016 advisory referendum

The consultative referendum on the Ukraine Treaty was held on April 6, 2016. You could vote for or against the Act approving the EU Association Agreement with Ukraine. The majority of voters voted against the treaty.

Referendum result
After the advisory referendum on 6 April 2016, the Electoral Council determined the final result of the vote. The voter turnout rate was 32.28%. That was more than 30%, so the electoral threshold was passed: the referendum is valid. The majority of voters voted against (61%). 38.21% of all voters who turned up voted in favor.

To be honest it was real hard studying and reading a lot of stuff from all sides/perspectives to understand the in- and outs of a yes-vote or a no-vote. Like you say not all people have an overview of the consequences and also say yes or no for a variety of reasons.

This piece is 6 years old but is about an interview with a man who is now one of Putin's most trusted. It's about the search for the origin of a quote attributed to a US Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright.

It's written by a Russian and sheds light on Nikolai Patrushev, Putin's longtime KGB friend and his current influential Secretary of the Security Council.

This stuff is just crazy and all part of the mix today as the craziness from then is what's referenced as history today.

How the hallucinations of an eccentric KGB psychic influence Russia today | Russia | The Guardian

Is this the nuclear plant livestream? It was posted upthread as such, but I can't figure out what I'm looking at

Me neither...what do we see? This the plant during daytime. What are the long white "things" in the Youtube image?

zaporozhye_aes_280222.jpg

Last edited:
This is the latest update by the Nuclear Inspectorate re: Zaporizhzhia .....

State of the power units:
  • Unit 1 is in outage.
  • Units 2, 3 have been disconnected from the grid, and the cool down of the nuclear installations is being carried out.
  • Unit 4 is in operation at 690 MW power.
  • Units 5, 6 are being cooled down.

However the loss of cooling nuclear fuel will lead to “significant radioactive emissions into the environment” and such an event “may outgrow all previous NPP accidents, including the Chernobyl NPP and Fukusima-Daichi NPP” the authority says, adding that damage to a reservoir of processed nuclear fuel as a result of the shelling will also lead to radioactive discharge.

It shall be reminded that in addition to six power units at the Zaporizhzhya NPP site, there is a spent nuclear fuel storage facility, damage of which due to shelling will also lead to radioactive releases.

State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine - Updated information about Zaporizhzhia NPP (08:00)

Last edited:
Volodymyr Zelensky says global support for Ukraine came 'too late' (nypost.com)
[...]

“The whole world started making decisions too late,” Zelenksy said in a televised address.

“I want to thank the countries that are helping with weapons. We are thankful, but it’s too late.”

Zelensky applauded Western nations for moving to punish Russia by hobbling its economy, saying, “Strong sanctions right now, I think that was a good start.”

[...]

... Zelensky said he’d pleaded with President Biden and European leaders to impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine to stop what he called Russia’s “constant bombing of non-militarized zones.”

[...]

“If you can’t provide a timeline now, tell us how many people have to die. How many limbs have to fly off of people’s bodies, so you hear us? How many people will count, and we’ll wait until that moment when you feel comfortable.”

[...]

“After Ukraine — if we don’t exist, God forbid — then it will be Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova, Georgia, Poland,” he said.

“And they will keep going on until the Berlin Wall. They will continue.”

Zelensky added: “The world is stronger than the military of Putin.”

[...]
This is heartwrenching to me. He sounds like he's becoming despondent...a strong man but he's only human </3

This is the latest update by the Nuclear Inspectorate re: Zaporizhzhia .....

State of the power units:
  • Unit 1 is in outage.
  • Units 2, 3 have been disconnected from the grid, and the cool down of the nuclear installations is being carried out.
  • Unit 4 is in operation at 690 MW power.
  • Units 5, 6 are being cooled down.

However the loss of cooling nuclear fuel will lead to “significant radioactive emissions into the environment” and such an event “may outgrow all previous NPP accidents, including the Chernobyl NPP and Fukusima-Daichi NPP” the authority says, adding that damage to a reservoir of processed nuclear fuel as a result of the shelling will also lead to radioactive discharge.

It shall be reminded that in addition to six power units at the Zaporizhzhya NPP site, there is a spent nuclear fuel storage facility, damage of which due to shelling will also lead to radioactive releases.

State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine - Updated information about Zaporizhzhia NPP (08:00)
Oh God, please please no

Cool heads must prevail

Easy for me to say from the US isn't it?

Unbelieveable
Is there no one to tell these tank personnel just what it is they are shooting at? I mean in practical terms, the nuclear power plant's (largest in Europe) China Syndrome dispersment could most likely affect Putin's lair on the Black Sea, just about 430 miles away. They're putting their Supreme Leader's billion dollar abode at risk

Is it just a case of 18-19 year old conscripts? Do they get to drive the tanks and shoot rounds willy nilly? If not them, who's the Russian MORON trying to kill his troops and himself cause if that blows, you can run but you can't hide...you and your 40 mile long column of fellow victims of the nuclear fallout.

WHO are these people and WHAT are they thinking!!!???

I hope they also evacuated the women who carried those babies for 9 months and gave birth in a war zone.
Up to 400 Ukrainian surrogate mothers could be given refuge in Ireland

Up to 400 surrogate mothers from Ukraine could be given refuge in Ireland, according to a senator advising Irish families whose surrogates are caught in the crossfire of the ongoing conflict.

Fine Gael Senator Mary Seery Kearney who is also a barrister, is advising Irish families who are trying to assist their surrogates and their families.

She is also involved with the families of the four newborn Irish babies in a maternity hospital in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv.

Because of their own links to countries like Lithuania, Poland, and Romania, not all of the surrogates will necessarily want to come to Ireland.

But Irish Families Through Surrogacy — one of the country's leading advocates for surrogacy — are helping any of them who do.

Irish families here have already been sending funds over to the Ukrainian women to pay for their transport and that of their families to the Polish border.

Hotel accommodation in Poland and other countries has also been arranged for those families.

The announcement on Tuesday from the Department of Justice that children aged 16 and under can come into the country without a passport has raised the prospect that surrogates and their families could soon now be brought over to live in Ireland.

“This has become my every living moment at the moment,” Senator Seery Kearney said.

(...)

“The Department of Justice announcements regarding visas meant that anyone from Ukraine could travel,” she said.

(...)

She added: "You have to realise these women that gave birth to Irish babies a number of years ago have a continual relationship with the Irish families.

“They're friends of the family, as a consequence of the whole journey, but they don't necessarily have passports for their children.”

(...)

Me neither...what do we see? This the plant during daytime. What are the long white "things" in the Youtube image?

zaporozhye_aes_280222.jpg
Shots being fired from tank personnel. That's my understanding after watching the IAEA Director General and the President of National Nuclear Energy Generating Co, both just on CNN World News and discussing the situation and video

My apologies because I definitely don't know my aircraft and I don't know if there was a Vulcan, but I definitely saw a RQ-4 Global Hawk. (a surveillance drone)

c4g25ehs_rq4-global-hawk_625x300_22_February_22.jpg
Hey!

That article says Lithuania - not Latvia - so don't think it's flying our border with Russia.
I've been keeping a very close eye on your air traffic the past few days. Very few military air craft over Latvia. I have noticed commercial aircraft leaving Moscow, over your air space.

Moo...

Safe safe and prayers ♡

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads