Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@USUNSpox

The United States, the UK, France, Ireland, Norway, and Albania have called an emergency UN Security Council meeting at 11:30ET following Russia's attack on the Zaporizhzhya nuclear plant in Ukraine.
@USAmbUN
Linda Thomas-Greenfield will speak for the United States.

Military planes transponders are encrypted.

Per hubby.
I know the F series jets do not show up on FT. Up until a month ago, they ran daily in the valleys of SW VA, up into the Blue Ridge Mts. Sometime so low I can see the pilot and several wave. We hear them coming, they roar, and the sonic boom, loud and shakes the ground, I've checked Flightaware and they never show up.

I love these jets and feels so secure thanks to our highly trained military,

They do get sassy at times. I saw one just barely miss the steeple on the Baptist Church, then soared straight up, did a flip and head out.

Moo...

Maps is showing traffic around moscow as being red w/ stopped traffic, St. Petersburg roads are quiet, no traffic.

The attack did not hit a nuclear reactor but a training center in the facility, which accounts for about a quarter of the power generated in Ukraine.

UN watchdog says no radiation released in attack on Ukraine nuclear plant

The Russians have now taken control of the plant and are forcing Ukrainians to work at gunpoint, according to the operator of the facility.

March 4 2022 rbbm.
Russia and Ukraine at war: The latest news on the crisis | CTV News
''WARSAW, Poland — Polish security services say they have arrested a Spanish citizen on suspicion of spying for Russia.

Security services spokesman Stanislaw Zaryn said the man, who was born in Russia but holds a Spanish passport, was arrested on the night of Feb. 27 at a hotel in Przemysl, in southeastern Poland, and had journalist status.

Przemysl, near Poland’s border with Ukraine, is one of the main points where hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees arrive as they flee Russia’s invasion.

Also, thousands of additional U.S. troops recently deployed to Poland to strengthen NATO’s eastern flank are stationed in the area.

The man allegedly was collecting information that was sensitive to Poland’s security and defence, Zaryn told The Associated Press.''

Well - get him OUT of our air space!! :mad: And thanks for the prayers - so far so good. ;)
@Niner
I was alarmed when I first saw the flights from Russia, but they are commerial airlines. I saw one yesterday and two this am.

Its my understanding commercial flights from certains countries are allowed to fly in and out of Russia, and use NATO airspace. But NO MILITARY or private aircraft.

Moo

Last edited:
The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 6 hours ago
Indicative estimates of Russia's losses as of March 4, according to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

[URL='https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499672237829414915']The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
- 4 hours ago
⚡Ukrainian Navy sinks its flagship so that Russians don't get it.
Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny was under repairs in Mykolaiv. The commander was ordered to sink it, according to Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov.
Photo: News sites, social media, original source unknown.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
The Times: Volodymyr Zelensky survives 3 assassination attempts in days. Two different groups have been sent to kill him, yet both have been thwarted by anti-war elements within Russia’s Federal Security Service, according to the Times' sources.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
A source close to the Wagner mercenary group told the Times it was “eerie” how well briefed Zelensky’s security team appeared to be.

[/URL]

News Archive – The Kyiv Independent
Friday, March 4

16:06
Kremlin spokesman refuses offer of Zelensky-Putin talks.
The Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was quoted by Russian news websites as saying that Russia wants to continue talking to the Ukrainian delegation. On March 3, President Volodymyr Zelensky called on Putin to “sit and talk” with him.

16:00
Baby lemur born in Kyiv zoo named Bayraktar, after Turkish-made drone used by Ukrainian military.
Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitschko announced the news while describing the situation in the capital on March 4, adding that stores and pharmacies are running and the city’s hospitals are fully stocked.

15:45
Russia attacks, captures Europe’s largest nuclear power plant in Ukraine
Russian forces have captured Europe’s largest nuclear power plant at Enerhodar in Zaporizhia Oblast, according to state nuclear operator Energoatom. An earlier fire at a non-critical training center, caused by Russian shelling, was contained, without any damage to the plant, the International...

15:25
Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko said on TV that his country isn't participating or planning to participate in Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
He claimed that the Belarusian forces are protecting the country’s borders. If Belarus joined the war, it would be a ‘gift’ to the West, he added.

14:57
In the nation’s darkest hours, Ukrainians look out for each other
Sixteen-year-old Ukrainian Anna Liutyk will never forget that early morning when she woke up to her mother screaming the most terrifying words she had ever heard. “The war has started,” Liutyk’s mother cried out.“ (Russian dictator Vladimir) Putin started a war.” Multiple...

14:47
Poll: 82% of Ukrainians believe in victory against Russia.
63% of respondents told the Gradus research company that the strength of Ukraine’s military will lead Ukraine to victory, while 61% believe it rests on the unity and resistance of the Ukrainian people. Only 1% of respondents would agree to peace with Russia.

14:38
Ukrzaliznytsia evacuates over 1 million people from Ukraine’s hot spots since the start of Russia’s invasion.
State railway operator says that the main evacuation trains depart from Kharkiv, Zaporizhia, and Kyiv, heading to Lviv, Uzhhorod, Rakhiv, and other cities in western Ukraine.

14:13
Lithuanian PM: 'Calls for NATO no-fly zone in Ukraine are irresponsible.'
“I believe that all encouragements for NATO to get involved into the military conflict now are irresponsible,” Ingrida Simonyte told a news conference in Vilnius, as cited by Reuters.

13:52
Ukraine's military: Russia exhausted most of its operational reserve in Ukraine.
Nine days after the beginning of its full-scale war against Ukraine, Russia has begun transferring troops from its Southern and Eastern Military Districts to replenish its ranks, according to the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

13:15
Panasonic suspends transactions with Russia.
The Japanese electronic conglomerate also decided to donate $173 million to the Polish Red Cross to help Ukrainian refugees at the border and to Peace Winds Japan, an NGO providing assistance to Ukraine.

13:12
Ukraine asks Red Cross to organize humanitarian corridors.
Ukraine’s military is ready to ensure safe passage for civilians’ evacuation and the delivery of food, water, and medicine to the population hit by Russia’s war. “Thousands of people need an urgent evacuation,” the President’s Office said.

12:59
Death toll in attack on Chernihiv rises to 47 people.
38 men and nine women were killed by Russia’s airstrikes and shelling of residential areas on March 3, according to the Ukrainian government. Eighteen people were injured. Chernihiv is a city of 285,000 people, located north of Kyiv.

12:36
UK opposition suggests housing Ukrainian refugees in London's Russian oligarchs' mansions.
Meanwhile, U.K. cabinet minister Michael Gove is drafting plans to seize the properties of Russian oligarchs with close ties to Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, according to the Financial Times, but it could take time as government attorneys fear that seizing oligarchs’ houses could violate British property laws.

11:16
Zelensky: Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Plant disaster would be 6 times worse than Chornobyl.
“Russian tank operators knew what they were shooting at, they directly targeted the station,” said Zelensky. “This night could have been the end of Europe.”

I was alarmed when I first saw the flights from Russia, but they are commerial airlines. I saw one yesterday and two this am.

Its my understanding commercial flights from certains countries are allowed to fly in and out of Russia, and use NATO airspace. But NO MILITARY or private aircraft.

Moo

Thank you, I was wondering about that because I thought everything (including civilian/passenger flights) were shut down.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 41 minutes ago
A Russian Sukhoi Su-34 fighter jet shot down earlier today near the city of Volnovakha in eastern Ukraine. Photo: Ukraine's Defense Ministry.
FNAk49iWUAoPfNL

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 21 minutes ago
Earlier, as Russian forces approached Enerhodar, thousands of local unarmed civilians came out as a massive crowd to try to block their approach multiple times.
FNAqbtgXsAQx4Ym

Jack Sweeney first attracted public attention after starting a Twitter account devoted to tracking Tesla founder Elon Musk's private plane. Now the teenage college student has a new pet project involving another set of billionaires: publicizing the movements of private jets owned by Russian oligarchs.

"People want these people tracked down and have their assets tracked down and to take their yachts and jets," Sweeney said.

Meet the American teen tracking Russian oligarchs' jets

More than 1.3mn flee conflict in Ukraine

Half of the refugees have crossed the border into Poland since Russia invaded Ukraine last week. Hungary has received 145,000 while Moldova 103,000.

Another 149,000 have emigrated to Russia, which includes 96,000 from the Donetsk and Luhansk regions who left between February 18 and February 24.

UNHCR expects as many as 4mn will flee Ukraine in the coming weeks and months.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F51940e41-69e0-4a05-ab81-d425c0aaeb28.png

Jack Sweeney first attracted public attention after starting a Twitter account devoted to tracking Tesla founder Elon Musk's private plane. Now the teenage college student has a new pet project involving another set of billionaires: publicizing the movements of private jets owned by Russian oligarchs.

"People want these people tracked down and have their assets tracked down and to take their yachts and jets," Sweeney said.

Meet the American teen tracking Russian oligarchs' jets
Go Jack!!!
t2779.gif

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 20 minutes ago
⚡️Coming days of war are 'likely to be worse,' says NATO chief.
Jens Stoltenberg expects “more deaths, more suffering, and more destruction,” as Russia continues its full-scale invasion of the country. However, the alliance has ruled out a no-fly zone over Ukraine.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 5 minutes ago
⚡️Microsoft suspends sales of its products and services in Russia.
The company has joined other large tech companies that pulled out of the Russian market earlier, including Apple. Microsoft is also stopping many aspects of its business in Russia to comply with sanctions.

Q&A with US Chargé d’Affaires Kristina Kvien: ‘From now on, Russia will be a pariah state’ (kyivindependent.com)
Editor’s Note: Chargé d’Affaires Kristina Kvien has served as acting United States ambassador to Ukraine since January 2020.

A week into Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the Kyiv Independent talked to U.S. Chargé d’Affaires Kristina Kvien about sanctions, Ukrainians courage and a no-fly zone over Ukraine.

Before the invasion started on Feb. 24, the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine had relocated its core staff first to Lviv, then to Poland.

According to the United Nations, over 600 civilians have been killed as a result of Russia’s attacks in Ukraine.

Kvien said that the U.S. will do everything possible to bring Russian President Vladimir Putin to justice for what he is doing to Ukraine.

“From now on, Russia will be a pariah state and President Putin himself will be an international pariah. There is no possibility for him to recover from this,” Kvien told the Kyiv Independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
difficultgrownup