Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More than 1.3mn flee conflict in Ukraine

Half of the refugees have crossed the border into Poland since Russia invaded Ukraine last week. Hungary has received 145,000 while Moldova 103,000.

Another 149,000 have emigrated to Russia, which includes 96,000 from the Donetsk and Luhansk regions who left between February 18 and February 24.

UNHCR expects as many as 4mn will flee Ukraine in the coming weeks and months.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F51940e41-69e0-4a05-ab81-d425c0aaeb28.png

The population of Ukraine is listed at 43,ooo,ooo.

Where are the 0ther 90% to go?

More than 1.3mn flee conflict in Ukraine

Half of the refugees have crossed the border into Poland since Russia invaded Ukraine last week. Hungary has received 145,000 while Moldova 103,000.

Another 149,000 have emigrated to Russia, which includes 96,000 from the Donetsk and Luhansk regions who left between February 18 and February 24.

UNHCR expects as many as 4mn will flee Ukraine in the coming weeks and months.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F51940e41-69e0-4a05-ab81-d425c0aaeb28.png

The population of Ukraine is listed at 43,ooo,ooo.

Where are the 0ther 96% going to go?

US has two new surveillance planes up over eastern Romania flying together

The FORTE10 Global Hawk drone is back up over Poland and Lithuania
Thank you for all the flight radar updates!
You have me a little hooked on it now. We got home yesterday afternoon and a plane flew over, I had to pull FR up to see what it was :D

MAR 3, 2022
'I Don't Want To Be A Refugee, I Want To Go Home': The Stories Of The Ukrainian Women Who Had To Flee (rferl.org)
PRAGUE -- "This is where I live. This is what my town looks like now," Olha Drahan says, as she points to her phone screen.

Visibly shaken, she flips through photos of Bila Tserkva, a town some 80 kilometers south of the capital, Kyiv, where many houses and streets have been reduced to rubble by the Russian bombardment.

[...]

Drahan, 43, is now one of dozens of Ukrainian women and children being housed in a dormitory normally used for youth players of Slavia Prague, which along with Prague natural-gas concern, Prazska Plynarenska, is footing the bill.

With her 13-year-old daughter and sister, Drahan says she left her apartment in Bila Tserkva on February 27 on a three-day odyssey, trudging across muddy terrain, traveling on trains, and in private cars.

[...]

"The trip from Korczowa, on the Polish border, to Prague, took 14 hours. And it was expensive. My sister and I paid $300," Drahan says, adding that all she took was a small suitcase with documents and the bare necessities.

Her husband and elderly mother remain in Bila Tservkva. "I talked with them earlier today," she says. "And they are both safe."

08640000-0a00-0242-fd26-08d9fd023321_w650_r0_s.jpg

Ukrainian refugees apply for residence permits at Prague's foreigner's police headquarters on March 2.

[...]

Like many others in Ukraine, Drahan has ties to Russia, including a sister in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, and a brother in Chita, Siberia.

"They couldn't believe what was happening [in Bila Tservkva]. I had to send them photos to convince them," Drahan explains, underscoring the information vacuum many face in Russia, where state-run media have portrayed Ukraine as the aggressor and whitewash or ignore Moscow's brutal assault.

[...]

Over 7,600 people have been arrested in 121 cities in Russia since the start of the Russian attack on February 24, according to data collected by the human rights organization OVD-Info.

[...]

"I don't want to be a refugee," says Sichova, an auto insurance agent just a few weeks ago.

"I want to work. I want to go home."

The SWIFT currency restrictions will not take effect until March 12

The airline lease cancellations will not take place until about March 28.

How is Ukraine going to hold out for that length of time without EU military support?

I was alarmed when I first saw the flights from Russia, but they are commerial airlines. I saw one yesterday and two this am.

Its my understanding commercial flights from certains countries are allowed to fly in and out of Russia, and use NATO airspace. But NO MILITARY or private aircraft.

Moo

On CNN, they were interviewing a woman about half an hour ago discussing this problem. I thought she was Zelensky's wife, but I'm not certain. She was very blunt about the need for the US and other western allies to enforce real sanctions against Russia. She said there are many "loopholes" in the sanctions and this appears to be one. The implication from the US was that the no-fly zone sanction was just that - no aircraft with only a small loophole for emergency purposes.

As the woman CNN interviewed stated, these sanctions are supposed to be economic sanctions and they need to be tough to make Putin back down. She listed many of the loopholes and named names of companies, banks, etc. that need to participate but aren't. She said the sanctions will harm Putin in the long run, but don't have much immediate affect.

She listed 3 or 4 US defense contractors, including Grumman, who have facilities IN RUSSIA who need to shut those facilities down and leave.

She listed several big banks like JP Morgan, Credit Suisse and others who need to shut down their offices and leave.

She said the sanctions against Russian oligarchs need to apply to all of them, not just a few.

She also said the US and others need to stop buying Russian oil and gas.

She said Putin is in this for the long game and these sanctions as they are now are ineffective. The sanctions need to have a "shock and awe" affect (my terminology) on Putin in order to stop him.

I'm pretty sure it was the Ukraine president's wife. She's blonde, middle age and was interviewed in a lovely white room with shelves in the background. I've looked all over CNN's web site and YouTube page and can't find the interview. I have a feeling this woman was saying things that CNN's reporter didn't want to hear.

I will keep looking. If anyone else finds the video of the interview, please share. TIA

ETA: Here's another example of weak response to sanctions:

Microsoft halts sales and services in Russia

Microsoft announces they will suspend new sales of products in Russia. What about servicing existing contracts, etc? Microsoft and other US businesses in Russia need to close their offices there and leave. This reminds me of WWII, when so many US companies wanted to keep doing business with Hitler and the Nazis.

Last edited:
I paid 3.85 per gallon, yesterday. Over $80.00 to fill up.

We must restart the US Pipeline. Some folks don't be able to work with the high cost of fuel. Moo....

I agree, and NATO needs to stop the purchase of Russian oil. This carve-out related to the sanctions against Russia and Russian banks is financing Putin's war against Ukraine. Of course, if we do this, the price of gas will go even higher, but this next step is necessary. We can't do a no fly zone as that would be an act of war against Russia, but we can stop importing Russian oil.

Edited

It doesn’t seem like much.

….

The United States imported more than 20.4 million barrels of crude and refined products a month on average in 2021 from Russia, about 8% of U.S. liquid fuel imports, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA).

On Thursday, Par Pacific Holdings (PARR.N) became the first U.S. refiner to suspend purchases of Russian oil for its Hawaii-based refinery. Russia accounted for nearly 28% of Hawaii's crude imports last year, according to the EIA.

Pressure grows on Biden to ban U.S. imports of Russian oil

But

Senator Ed Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts, said U.S. purchases of Russian oil in 2021 would have delivered an estimated $17.4 billion to that nation. "We cannot criticize Europe for its reliance on Russian energy, as we pour dirty oil money into Russia," he said in a Tuesday statement.

U.S. has not sanctioned Russian oil but traders avoiding it

17.4 billion Thats a lot.

Jmo

MAR 3, 2022
Putin's War At Home: Russian Government Pushes Hard To Enforce Total Unanimity On Ukraine War (rferl.org)
On March 3, a key Russian parliamentary committee approved a draft law that would impose prison terms of up to 15 years for disseminating "fake" information about Russian military operations.

[...]

And, also on March 3, Russia's Education Ministry held an "online lesson" to explain to schoolchildren and their teachers "why the liberation mission in Ukraine was necessary."

With President Vladimir Putin's unprovoked war on neighboring Ukraine entering its second week, his government has stepped up its battle at home -- seeking not only to control the narrative about the war and the consequences of unprecedented Western sanctions, but also to impose a Soviet-style national unanimity.

[...]

Ekho Moskvy First Deputy Editor in Chief Sergei Buntman told RFE/RL that the government is, in fact, imposing "military censorship in the absence of a war or state of emergency" because the Kremlin insists on calling the Ukraine invasion a "special military operation."

[...]

"If they allowed them to keep broadcasting such programs, then the public would have learned the truth about what is happening in Putin's war in Ukraine," he told RFE/RL's Russian Service. "And as soon as they learned, it would produce revolts calling for an end to the war."

At the same time, Russia's state-controlled television and other media are pushing the Kremlin's risible claims that Ukraine is ruled by "Nazis and drug addicts" doing NATO's bidding and committing "genocide" against Russian-speakers.

[...]

On March 2, Dozhd television Editor in Chief Tikhon Dzyadko announced he and several other Dozhd journalists were leaving Russia after their station was blocked.

"After the illegal blocking of Dozhd and Dozhd's social media accounts, and also following threats against several employees, it has become clear that the personal safety of many of us is under threat," he told Current Time.

Russia-Ukraine war latest news: Nato chief says worse days ahead after Putin’s forces seize nuclear power plant – live | World news | The Guardian

10m ago 10:10
8256.jpg

People remove personal belongings from a burning house after being shelled in the city of Irpin, outside Kyiv. Photograph: Aris Messinis/AFP/Getty Images

45m ago 09:34
The US Embassy in Ukraine said that attacking a nuclear power plant is a war crime after Russia seized a Ukrainian nuclear facility, the biggest in Europe.

“It is a war crime to attack a nuclear power plant. Putin’s shelling of Europe’s largest nuclear plant takes his reign of terror one step further,” US Embassy Kyiv said in its post.

[...]

2h ago 08:27
Russia is using cluster bombs in Ukraine, Nato secretary general Jens Stoltenberg said.

We have seen the use of cluster bombs and we have seen reports of use of other types of weapons which would be in violation of international law.

Germany is in a tough situation.

Germany's storage caverns currently stand at 30% full, according to industry group Gas Infrastructure Europe data.

Domestic gas production peaked in the 1990s and now covers only 5% of annual consumption.

The chief executive of German utility Uniper (UN01.DE) last month pegged Russia's share of Germany's gas supply at half, although this can fluctuate from month to month.

ICIS analysis data for German supply showed that in December 2021 Russian pipeline gas accounted for 32%, Norwegian gas 20% and Dutch 12%, with storage 22% and the rest from other smaller sources including domestic production.

Factbox: How dependent is Germany on Russian gas?

Jmo

Vitriol directed at Russian hockey players is ‘madness’ | The Star
''The repercussions of Russia’s unprovoked attack have reverberated throughout the hockey world. The International Ice Hockey Federation banned the country from all competition for the rest of the year and removed it as host for the 2023 world junior tournament, while the NHL suspended business with its Russian partners.

Equipment manufacturer CCM dropped Alex Ovechkin and other Russians from its global marketing initiatives.

Dinamo Riga and Jokerit Helsinki both withdrew their participation from the KHL playoffs while several foreign players terminated their contracts with Russian-based teams in order to flee the country.

Asked whether any of his Russian clients had considered leaving their NHL teams to return home, Milstein responded: “Absolutely not.”

Maps is showing traffic around moscow as being red w/ stopped traffic, St. Petersburg roads are quiet, no traffic.

The attack did not hit a nuclear reactor but a training center in the facility, which accounts for about a quarter of the power generated in Ukraine.

UN watchdog says no radiation released in attack on Ukraine nuclear plant

The Russians have now taken control of the plant and are forcing Ukrainians to work at gunpoint, according to the operator of the facility.

I believe one of the reactors was on fire.

U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm tweeted that the Zaporizhzhia plant’s reactors were protected by robust containment structures and were being safely shut down.

Still, descriptions from the scene painted troubling images.

Nuclear plant spokesman Andriy Tuz told Ukrainian television that shells were falling directly on the facility and had set fire to one of its six reactors. That reactor is under renovation and not operating, but there is nuclear fuel inside, he said.

But experts say the situation, while extremely dangerous, was unlikely to produce an apocalyptic explosion.

Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant fire prompts Chernobyl comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members