Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much time are national t.v companies devoting to news coverage in the states? Here it is 24 hour coverage with very little time given to any other news .

Are people really not that interested in what is happening?
CNN pretty much all the time and then I watch BBC...all the newspapers carrying it as lead stories too. There are many interested, concerned and watching with empathy and prayers. Please know this <3

So it took me a week to realize there must be a thread on WS about Ukraine. I won't be able to catch up yet, so anything I write will probably have been mentioned 20 times by now.

Just to add my voice...I'm in love with Zelenskyy....his bravery will be shining through history. A modern day Moses. But I fear for him greatly.

I ache seeing these Ukrainians suffering so much, all due to the megalomania of one corrupt man. A man in power for 22 years and had the Russian constitution rewritten to keep him in power until the 2030s, if I recall correctly.

Seeing all these children blown up while playing soccer, or standing in the supermarket with parents, or in the car, or in their apartments---words fail. Sure, Putin, you're not going to harm civilians.

I feel this personally. One of my grandfathers was born in Ukraine during the Russian Empire, under the last Czar, Nicholas II. He fled by ship to NYC, where I was born and have lived all my life.

In my neighborhood there are many immigrants from Russia, Ukraine and other former Soviet nations. They fled due to oppression under the Communist regime. Most of them still have family back in their various nations. Every single one is frantic and very, very opposed to Putin.

Yesterday I went to a rally for unity in support of Ukraine. It was right down the block because so many live here.

I feel so helpless. Two days ago I was in Jersey and gas is usually cheaper there than in NYC. It still cost me $17 for a quarter of a tank in a compact car. I am willing, though, to pay more as the only sacrifice I can make in favor of banning Russian oil to America. I can afford it but many people cannot and it's a real sacrifice for many.

I just read an article about people worldwide who are booking Air B&Bs in Ukraine, with no intent of course to go, as a way to support Ukrainians who have no income now. I think I'm going to do that.

Slava Ukraine!

Another option is to go on etsy and search for digital download or digital file. Add a filter for Ukraine in the location. There are a lot on there. Nothing to mail, no etsy ratings are trashed. Simple.

Question. I've read reports that the "majority" of Ukraine's fighter (military) planes are still intact. If that's the case, why aren't we hearing more about their kills? Am I missing those stories? Is it too dangerous in urban warfare? Discuss pretty please?

JMO
I'd think that talking about them is probably taboo right now, anything that can make them vulnerable. They need to keep their deeds, whereabouts, fueling etc...top secret because they are so precious to the cause. JMO

SBM.

That’s just sick. LIKE… WHY? Why would they want to seize a psychiatric hospital?

What on earth!!!!
1f62d.png

Kadyrovites seize psychiatric hospital with 100 bedridden patients

Head of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration Oleksiy Kuleba reported that Kadyrovites (the Chechen paramilitary group supporting the Russian Armed Forces) have seized a psychoneurological hospital which houses more than 600 patients.

Source: press service of the Kyiv Region State Administration

Quote: "We have received information from Borodyanka that today a unit of Russia-backing Kadyrovites entered a psychoneurological hospital there.

"They set mines at all entrances to the hospital and are now firing artillery from inside at the Ukrainian army’s positions.

"According to the preliminary data, there are currently over 500 patients in the hospital, almost 100 of them are bedridden. All of them, as well as the hospital staff, are held hostage by the inhumane captors."

Details: Kuleba later clarified that there are 670 people in the hospital. Ukrainian Armed Forces are currently trying to receive more information in order to understand how to free the people.

Kuleba added that in the last few days the hospital became a shelter for the local residents.

Kadyrovtsy - Wikipedia (Kadyrovites in English)

What on earth!!!!
1f62d.png

Kadyrovites seize hospital with 100 bedridden patients

Head of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration Oleksiy Kuleba reported that Kadyrovites (the Chechen paramilitary group supporting the Russian Armed Forces) have seized a psychoneurological hospital which houses more than 600 patients.

Source: press service of the Kyiv Region State Administration

Quote: "We have received information from Borodyanka that today a unit of Russia-backing Kadyrovites entered a psychoneurological hospital there.

"They set mines at all entrances to the hospital and are now firing artillery from inside at the Ukrainian army’s positions.

"According to the preliminary data, there are currently over 500 patients in the hospital, almost 100 of them are bedridden. All of them, as well as the hospital staff, are held hostage by the inhumane captors."

Details: Kuleba later clarified that there are 670 people in the hospital. Ukrainian Armed Forces are currently trying to receive more information in order to understand how to free the people.

Kuleba added that in the last few days the hospital became a shelter for the local residents.

Another war crime. It just diabolically evil to occupy hospitals, mine them and use psychiatric residents or refugees as human shields. There's a place in Hell for these monsters.

So sorry this is a long post - but I'm way behind on this thread... Just need to rant a bit... :)

Mo Thuairim from article said:
snipped..

Among them Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania also joined NATO. This was a bitter blow to Putin: the Baltics had been part of the Soviet Union.

Yes, there was a treaty known as the Molotov-Ribbenstrop.

link: Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact - Wikipedia

Its clauses provided a written guarantee of peace by each party towards the other and a commitment that declared that neither government would ally itself to or aid an enemy of the other. In addition to the publicly-announced stipulations of non-aggression, the treaty included the Secret Protocol, which defined the borders of Soviet and German spheres of influence across Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Finland. The secret protocol also recognised the interest of Lithuania in the Vilnius region, and Germany declared its complete disinterest in Bessarabia. The rumour of the existence of the Secret Protocol was proved only when it was made public during the Nuremberg Trials.[10]

and after WWII - Roosevelt told Stalin - sure you can have the Baltics... If Putin wants his Russian citizens in these countries safe - he should move them all back to Russia. Not invade countries where "his" citizens live. :confused:

Simply Southern said:
snipped...

@Niner Latvia is all clear, no military, 2 Turkish Air commercial flights
Zero air traffic from private or military from Russia

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. :)

Mo Thairim from article said:
snipped...

In an extraordinary interview that has caused disquiet among Russian residents of Ireland, Mr Filatov listed out a series of complaints against the treatment of Russians in Ireland to Russia-24, the state-owned Russian-language news channel.

That is their excuse (bold) they use for all countries that have Russian citizens... If they are badly treated - go back to Russia. :mad:

sds71 said:
Trudeau is meeting with Rutte and Johnson in London tomorrow.
He’ll also meet with Queen Elizabeth

And I heard he'll be in Latvia tomorrow also Blinken will be here.

Simply Southern said:
A helicopter did leave the WH and land at the base. Maybe the President is traveling or the VP. Isn't she supposed to go to Europe next week?

I read - somewhere - Harris is going to Poland. Might have been on BBC news.

War in Ukraine: The Russians leaving Russia for Finland - BBC News
''At Vaalimaa, Finland's border crossing with Russia - 120 miles east of Helsinki - buses and cars stop for passport and customs checks. These aren't Ukrainians, they're Russians, and although the flow isn't heavy, it is constant.

Some people are anxious to get out of Russia because there has been a persistent rumour that President Vladimir Putin's government might soon introduce martial law to deal with demonstrations against the invasion of Ukraine.
With flights to Europe halted, the only way out of the country is by car - crossing this border - or by train.
We spoke to one young Russian woman who was leaving for the West - one of the lucky ones who had an EU visa before the sanctions were announced. She was in despair at what has been happening.
"People in Ukraine are our people - our family," she said. "We shouldn't be killing them." Would she think of going back, I asked? "Not while our dreadful government is there. It is so, so sad."

Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine (cnn.com)
''At the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games in Beijing on Friday, International Paralympic Committee (IPC) president Andrew Parsons called for peace in his speech -- but a large part of his message was censored by Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.''

''CCTV’s live commentary didn’t translate his description of the events taking place in the world, and most of the speech that followed. It also lowered the volume of Parsons’ speech on the broadcast and paused the sign language interpreters on screen.

During the Opening Ceremony, Parsons was seen clapping as the 20 athletes competing for Ukraine were introduced. But the scene of Parsons cheering for the Ukraine delegation was also censored, replaced with a wide shot of the stadium by the state broadcaster. ''

I find that interesting - the threat of using Martial Law to deal with protesters.

When Canada implemented the Emergency Act to disperse the occupation of Ottawa, many protest supporters called it the War Measures Act - which was repealed in 1988. The Emergency Act respects the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

During the protests, I watched many live-streamers, including one called Ruptly - which I recently learned is Russian state-owned video news agency. Live-streamers claimed the 24/7 truck horns were peaceful. Facebook is investigating Russian social media influence and support of the occupation. The occupation ended Feb 23 with the use of the Emergency Act.

Feb 24, Russia invaded Ukraine. People filled the streets in Russia to protest, and today there's a possibility that Martial Law will be introduced. This would give "Mr Putin extraordinary powers, including the ability to shut the country’s borders, intern all foreigners and control food supplies ... and full media censorship."

On the one hand, Putin could announce that, like Canada, extreme measures are necessary to disperse people who continuously disrupt the lives of others. On the other hand, I'm left wondering just how much interference Putin has had in other countries - including federal election influence - to frame the circumstances for the invasion of Ukraine.

For example, in 2019, the USA president was praising Putin and threatening to withdraw from NATO. We also have the USA discussing minor incursions as a situation where NATO does not do something.

Biden: "I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do."

Zelenskyy: there is no such thing as "minor incursions"​

While North America was asleep, was Putin slowly and methodically setting the chess board to restore, or reclaim, the land formerly known as the USSR?

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter:
⚡️Cyprus forbids 5 Russian navy ships from mooring and refueling in Limassol.
Cyprus banned Russian ships from its port following EU sanctions over Russia’s war, Philenews reported.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Payoneer, Paypal, Adobe suspend operations in Russia.
The three companies have joined the growing list of international brands that refuse to do business in Russia over its aggression against Ukraine.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Russia announces resuming fighting in Mariupol and Volnovakha.
Earlier today temporary ceasefire was supposed to take place to create humanitarian corridors and allow civilians to leave Mariupol and Volnovakha, but Russian troops’ shelling halted the evacuation.

Strange thought...everybody is saying Putin looks so different.....could it be a "stand in"? :eek:
Complete speculation, imo.fwiw.
It would not surprise me if there were/are imposters, OR, P had cosmetic work (done in advance just prior to the invasion) and disguising/hiding it under a facial prosthetic piece.
Feb 2020
Putin denies conspiracy theory that he uses body double | Vladimir Putin News | Al Jazeera
''One of the more elaborate theories compares photographs of Putin over the years, claiming to have identified a number of different individuals posing as him.''

''Asked “Are you real?” by the interviewer, Putin replied, “Yes,” before going on to deny that he uses a lookalike for public appearances for his own safety.
But he said he had been offered the opportunity.
“I declined these body doubles. This (the offer) was during the most difficult periods of the fight against terrorism,” Putin said, adding that he was referring to the beginning of the 2000s.''

Vladimir Putin's face has changed dramatically through the years | Daily Mail Online
27A2A5E700000578-0-image-a-32_1429195819030.jpg

27A1AAC800000578-0-image-m-48_1429196412617.jpg

March 1, 2022
I get paid to be a Vladimir Putin impersonator – but now I fear for my life (nypost.com)
''When asked what he would say to Putin should he meet his dopplegänger face to face, Sobola said: “I would ask him to look at me and think how you can have the same face but perceive the world differently.”

2015 rbbm.
The very scary reality behind the silly rumors of Putin’s death - Vox
''Rumors that Putin is ill or injured arise with some regularity. "These sort of rumors happen all the time," Thoburn told me. "Is Putin sick? Is he this, is he that? Did he have plastic surgery?"
In 2012, Putin canceled and postponed foreign trips for more than a month. Belarusian President Aleksandr Lukashenko said Putin had suffered a spinal injury during a judo bout, and there were rumors that he was seriously injured.''

''The rumors may not be true, but that does not mean they are irrelevant. They speak to Russians' nervousness about what would happen if Putin really were to become incapacitated. Because power is so centralized around him, there is no fallback plan for what would happen if he really were to suddenly become unable to rule. A system of government that rests on the health of a single man is very fragile, and that fragility — that weakness — is frightening.''

Al Jazzera and other news outlets are reporting Russia will stop all foreign Aeroflot ( and subsidary) flights to foreign countries.

More isolation for Russians?

Actually, he is trying to stop Aeroflot planes from being seized at foreign ports by the owner of the planes. A significant number of Russian planes are only leased to the company that runs them. Most of Aeroflot ( and associated ) are actually registered to Bermuda ( you see that on Flightradar24 when you look at an Aeroflot plane and are perplexed as to why the Bermuda flag is listed, not the Russian flag !!!). In addition, a substantial number of other Russian flight companies planes are owned and registered in Ireland).

There was a technical bulletin that went out from the Russian equivalent of the FAA to all air services to sequested all technical documents and bulletins on their planes. When the leasing company seizes their planes after about March 12, no technical bulletins or parts will be supplied to a company inside Russian that has failed to return the leased planes !!!) No one really expects Bermuda or Ireland's companies to be allowed to arrive in Moscow to retrieve their planes at this point.

This just has to be a first.

From Aljazzera:

• Russia’s flagship airline Aeroflot says it will suspend all its international flights from March 8 except Belarus, amid Western sanctions on Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine.

I follow a pilot posting forum and some of their folks have been able to better explain what's really going on with Russian commercial aviation at this point.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Again, I know I didn't realize there was a Ukraine thread until today, so I'm guessing many such pictures have already been posted. But to just look at this soldier carrying this tiny baby out of destruction...I know Putin has two adult daughters who are always hidden away. I know Putin is a monster of historical proportions. I still can't understand his complete and utter lack of care that children are being killed.

Putin will claim until his last breath that his forces are only going after military installations and Ukrainian troops. So I guess this baby is really a Ukrainian soldier, cleverly disguised.

I don't see parents near this infant. Which leads me to speculate the parents may not have survived.

From Grozny to Aleppo to Ukraine, Russia meets resistance with more firepower

By Jeremy Bowen
BBC News, Kyiv

As I write this, the centre of Kyiv and much of its suburbs are largely untouched. Sirens and alerts punctuate the day.

Everyone here knows that could change, very quickly. By the time you read this, it might have.

Ukraine's second city, Kharkiv, has already felt some of the force of the Russian way of war. So have Mariupol and other cities in the east.

Russia answers resistance with firepower. Rather than send in men to fight from house to house and room to room, their military doctrine calls for a bombardment by heavy weapons and from the air to destroy their enemies.

Kharkiv and the other cities and towns have suffered grievous damage, and as far as we know many civilian casualties. The seat of Kharkiv's local government was badly damaged in a missile strike that was filmed. Russian President Vladimir Putin might be sending a message to Kyiv - look to the east, because this could happen to you.

(...)

Before the invasion of Ukraine, military analysts assessed that Russia's forces were now much more professional. Perhaps they are, but Russia's invasion has once again been slowed by logistical bottlenecks, tactical mistakes and terrified teenagers who had not been told they were going to war - as well as resistance as fierce as anything the Chechens offered in 1995.

(...)

In Chechnya, Russia's answer was to use its firepower. In a few weeks, artillery and air strikes reduced the centre of Grozny, a typical concrete and steel Soviet city, to rubble. I was in Minutka Square, a centre of Chechen resistance, on a day when it was hit by repeated air strikes. Civilians were mostly in cellars, risking death every time they went out to find water or food.

(...)

The most devastated places I have seen in years of war reporting, apart from Grozny, were in Syria. The connection is the destructive power of the Russian military.

Mr Putin's decision to intervene in Syria saved the regime of Bashar al-Assad and took a big step towards his objective of restoring Russia as a world power. Two decisive victories over rebels in Syria, vitally important for the regime, were delivered by the ruthless use of Russian firepower.

(...)

The tactic used in Syria was to encircle and besiege rebel-held areas, pound them from the air and from artillery batteries, and in the end exhaust the defenders and any civilians who had not managed to escape. Many of them were killed.

(...)

In Kyiv, one of the big questions on everybody's minds is whether they are going to get the treatment meted out not only to Kharkiv, Mariupol and the rest, but also to Chechnya and Syria.

Will the sanctity of Orthodox shrines create the restraint that was absent in attacks on Muslims in Chechnya and Syria? Putin himself has written about Ukraine's significance in Russia's history. Will he be prepared to destroy Ukraine to regain it? If sanctions and Ukrainian resistance threaten his regime's stability, will he take more extreme measures?

The record shows that the Russian military compensates for weaknesses in the capabilities of its ground forces by turning to the big guns. Ukrainians are praying that will not happen here.

MAR 5, 2022
Kyrgyz TV Head To Remain In Pretrial Detention Over Report On Ukraine War (rferl.org)
The Kyrgyz authorities have ordered pretrial detention for the director of the NEXT television channel over the airing of a controversial report in which an interviewee alleged the existence of an agreement between Bishkek and Moscow to send troops to Ukraine.

A Bishkek court ruled on March 5 that Taalai Duishembiev must remain in detention until at least May 3.

Duishembiev's lawyer, Timur Sultanov, vowed to appeal the ruling.

[...]

Complete speculation, imo.fwiw.
It would not surprise me if there were/are imposters, OR, P had cosmetic work (done in advance just prior to the invasion) and disguising it under a facial prosthetic piece.
Feb 2020
Putin denies conspiracy theory that he uses body double | Vladimir Putin News | Al Jazeera
''One of the more elaborate theories compares photographs of Putin over the years, claiming to have identified a number of different individuals posing as him.''

''Asked “Are you real?” by the interviewer, Putin replied, “Yes,” before going on to deny that he uses a lookalike for public appearances for his own safety.
But he said he had been offered the opportunity.
“I declined these body doubles. This (the offer) was during the most difficult periods of the fight against terrorism,” Putin said, adding that he was referring to the beginning of the 2000s.''

Vladimir Putin's face has changed dramatically through the years | Daily Mail Online
27A2A5E700000578-0-image-a-32_1429195819030.jpg

27A1AAC800000578-0-image-m-48_1429196412617.jpg

March 1, 2022
I get paid to be a Vladimir Putin impersonator – but now I fear for my life (nypost.com)
''When asked what he would say to Putin should he meet his dopplegänger face to face, Sobola said: “I would ask him to look at me and think how you can have the same face but perceive the world differently.”

2015 rbbm.
The very scary reality behind the silly rumors of Putin’s death - Vox
''Rumors that Putin is ill or injured arise with some regularity. "These sort of rumors happen all the time," Thoburn told me. "Is Putin sick? Is he this, is he that? Did he have plastic surgery?"
In 2012, Putin canceled and postponed foreign trips for more than a month. Belarusian President Aleksandr Lukashenko said Putin had suffered a spinal injury during a judo bout, and there were rumors that he was seriously injured.''

''The rumors may not be true, but that does not mean they are irrelevant. They speak to Russians' nervousness about what would happen if Putin really were to become incapacitated. Because power is so centralized around him, there is no fallback plan for what would happen if he really were to suddenly become unable to rule. A system of government that rests on the health of a single man is very fragile, and that fragility — that weakness — is frightening.''

In 2010 he looks older then in 2015.
I think that he looks different because of plastic surgery. Looking old and vulnerable as “ world’s power” is not a good look. This man just doesn’t age? He looks as I remember him just extra puffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves