Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEXTA on Twitter
Volodymir @ZelenskyyUa was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
FOFUd5NXMAAo_xm

t4526.gif

I just hope it doesn't have to be given posthumously.

Russia-Ukraine war: Alongside the Donbas civilian soldiers in the trenches (smh.com.au)
[...]

We have reached the timber house – the very front of the front line of Ukraine’s war with Russia and Moscow-backed separatists – via a 150-metre-long trench just as a snow storm intensifies. A phone line runs along the trench, allowing soldiers at a distant observation point to report what they’re seeing to their comrades on the frontline.

It’s a World War I movie playing out in the 21st century.

[...]

The weapons of choice here are machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades or anti-tank rocket launchers.

[...]

5c00f82fe51686d587e7f1a4f8e56e5e8f85e553

This stretch of woodland is just one battlefront in an eight-year war between Ukraine and the separatists, but it is also a key position the soldiers know they must hold if their country is to fend off Russia’s invasion. With Ukraine’s army now stretched thin, units in the Donbas face unprecedented firepower. But so far, they are holding their positions.

[...]

The unit we are embedded with is part of the 30th Prince Konstanty Ostrogski Mechanised Brigade, which has fought many battles during the eight-year Donbas war. In this latest conflict, it has been instrumental in taking out Russian tanks.

[...]

Maksym says the eastern front has changed markedly since Russia invaded on February 24. The intensity of shelling and mortar strikes has increased, drones now skim above the trees searching for them and trying to take them out.

“The enemy is more often using artillery and high-calibre machine guns. They are shelling during most of the day with just a two or three-hour break,” he says. “They are shelling the front-line positions and also the positions to our rear, and the shelling is often quite chaotic.”

[...]

d4e86ffbfa3d1ca5962a998332eb521aff92e080

“We are ready to stay until the end and are ready to go and attack our enemies, but we are only waiting for the order of our high commander,” he says.

[...]

English teacher Vyacheslav, 49, has only been on the front line for two weeks. ...

[...]

Vyacheslav says he doesn’t understand Russian President Vladimir Putin’s rationale for invading Ukraine – that he needs to “de-Nazify” the country.

“I am not a fascist, I am not a Nazi. I’m a school teacher,” he says.

[...]

37e20cf8e1bae7b6b0196ace4ef832d717061600

[...]

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 36 min ago
Ukraine again requests Red Cross urge Russia to collect dead bodies of its fallen soldiers. Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk repeated the request at a briefing on Mar. 17.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 36 min ago
Russia has not attempted to contact the Ukrainian government to extradite the bodies of its troops, she said.

NEXTA on Twitter - 37 min ago
Statement by a group of #European politicians (mostly #Dutch) on the nomination of Volodymyr #Zelenskyy for the Nobel Peace Prize.
FOGlPIGWUAg-q04
FOGldxGXwAEXBvU

NEXTA on Twitter - 4 hrs ago, Video
To understand whether #Putin is expected in #Ukraine, it is enough to see how Ukrainians bury one dead soldier.

*I am noticing in the “Deep Fake” video image the missing Adam’s apple (I didn’t watch the video so maybe this is mentioned there). Maybe that’s something to watch for (al though they could remedy this next time). You can also tell the resolution is poorer.

Reference:

Ukraine conflict: Putin lays out his demands in Turkish phone call - BBC News
''The Russian demands fall into two categories.

The first four demands are, according to Mr Kalin, not too difficult for Ukraine to meet.

Chief among them is an acceptance by Ukraine that it should be neutral and should not apply to join Nato. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has already conceded this.''

''There are other demands in this category which mostly seem to be face-saving elements for the Russian side.

Ukraine would have to undergo a disarmament process to ensure it wasn't a threat to Russia. There would have to be protection for the Russian language in Ukraine. And there is something called de-Nazification.

This is deeply offensive to Mr Zelensky, who is himself Jewish and some of whose relatives died in the Holocaust, but the Turkish side believes it will be easy enough for Mr Zelensky to accept. Perhaps it will be enough for Ukraine to condemn all forms of neo-Nazism and promise to clamp down on them.''

''What about Vladimir Putin himself? There have been suggestions that he is ill, or possibly even mentally unbalanced. Did Mr Kalin detect anything strange about him in the phone call? Not at all, he said. Mr Putin had apparently been clear and concise in everything he said.''
My question is this.. Why does Putin get demands?
To me it's like, I will break into your house, make a mess, kill your kids and then demand you not to have any weapons to protect yourself, or askfriends for help.
Not fair.
Not just.
Not humane.

According to this paper JUST IN: Putin to address the nation today

EuroWeekly News is Spain's largest group of free English language newspapers and has been operating since 2002. The publication is owned by husband and wife, Steven and Michel Euesden.[1] The group consists of six newspapers that cover Costa Blanca North, Costa Blanca South, Almeria, Axarquia Costa Tropical (east of Málaga), the Costa del Sol and Mallorca.

Putin is likely to address the nation today.

RUSSIAN President Vladimir Putin could address his nation today, Friday, March 18 – which marks the eighth anniversary of the annexation of Crimea.

Multiple reports have suggested that the president will speak to the people of Russia at around 3 pm local time.

Also this is interesting

Russia Sets up No-Fly Zone Over Ukraine's Donbass -Interfax

By Reuters
|
March 18, 2022, at 2:26 a.m.

Russia has established a no-fly zone over Ukraine's Donbass region, according to a separatist official from the Donetsk People's Republic, the Interfax news agency said on Friday.

Can somebody explain to me what this actually means from a military and/or and humanitarian view?

Last edited:
*I am noticing in the “Deep Fake” video image the missing Adam’s apple (I didn’t watch the video so maybe this is mentioned there). Maybe that’s something to watch for (al though they could remedy this next time). You can also tell the resolution is poorer.

It's sad, and yet amazing, what lengths people go to in order to push a false story.

I'm once again reminded of the saying that the first casualty of war is the truth.

Both sides, and even people who are not directly involved in this war, have their own devious reasons for putting out propaganda.

We will eventually (hopefully) know the truth behind all of the conflicting reports, but for now, I think it's good to maintain a dose of skepticism.

Reference:
Yeah, that is so badly done I wouldn't even call it a deepfake. The neck is completely smoothed out with no natural colour or shading whatsoever.
The head also looks a bit too big and like it's not completely attached to the body. Like a bobble head.
Do you know where it was originally posted?

March 18 2022
image.jpg

Russian strikes hit Ukrainian capital and outskirts of Lviv | CP24.com
''Multiple blasts hit in quick succession around 6 a.m., shaking nearby buildings, witnesses said. The missiles were launched from the Black Sea, but the Ukrainian air force's western command said it had shot down two of six missile in the volley. A bus repair facility was also damaged, Lviv's mayor Andriy Sadovyi said.

Lviv lies not far from the Polish border and well behind the front lines, but it and the surrounding area have not been spared Russia's attacks. In the worst, nearly three dozen people were killed last weekend in a strike on a training facility near the city. Lviv's population has swelled by some 200,000 as people from elsewhere in Ukraine have sought shelter there.

Early morning barrages also hit a residential building in the Podil neighborhood of Kyiv, killing at least one person, according to emergency services, who said 98 people were evacuated from the building. Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said 19 were wounded in the shelling.

Two others were killed when strikes hit residential and administrative buildings in the eastern city of Kramatorsk, according to the regional governor, Pavlo Kyrylenko.

In city after city around Ukraine, hospitals, schools and buildings where people sought safety have been attacked''

Soft power: Czech designer makes 'Zelensky pillows' to help Ukraine

https://m.jpost.com/international/article-701681

A Czech designer has come up with a novel way to raise money for Ukrainians suffering from the war in their country - making pillows bearing the portrait of their president, Volodymyr Zelensky, who he says has become a sex symbol for some.

I want one.

Geopolitics of the Black Sea - YouTube

ukrrusblack.jpg

March 18 2022 rbbm.
Vessels with Ukrainian grains blocked by the Russian navy in the Black Sea — MercoPress
''The Russian Navy is blocking grain-laden vessels from leaving the Black Sea after having loaded in Ukrainian ports, according to BayWa, Germany's largest grain trader which is involved with cereals trade in central Europe. Meanwhile, the IMO is calling for “blue corridors” to allow merchant vessels to sail without incidents.

“Zero [grain] is currently being exported from the ports of Ukraine — nothing is leaving the country at all,” Jörg-Simon Immerz, head of the grain trading at BayWa tol the German media, adding that export activity on the Russian side is “very limited.”

Immerz's assessment was backed up by the Panamanian Maritime Authority, which claimed that the Russian Navy was preventing 200-300 ships from leaving the Black Sea, most of them were carrying grain.

Noriel Arauz from the Panamanian Maritime Authority said three Panama flagged vessels ships have come under Russian fire since the invasion of Ukraine started. One of the ships sank and two others were damaged, while no one was injured. Allegedly vessels from Estonia and Bangladesh have also been attacked.''

@dotr

I have been stocking up on pasta, flour and cake mixes.

Ukraine supplies the world with about 9% of the wheat we consume.

Russia also is the largest exporter of wheat in the world, accounting for about 20% of the market share, said Michael Langemeier, associate director for the Center for Commercial Agriculture at Purdue University. Ukraine is another large wheat exporter with about 10% of the share.

CF Industries boosts U.S. fertilizer shipments as war cuts Russian exports

Russia has previously accounted for 15% of U.S. nitrogen imports, said the Fertilizer Institute, an industry group. Russia is also a major exporter of natural gas, a key input in producing nitrogen fertilizer.

CF Industries boosts U.S. fertilizer shipments as war cuts Russian exports

….

Stock your pantry, and not with toilet paper this time.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 4 hrs ago
Ukraine, Russia agree on 9 humanitarian corridors for March 18. The corridors may start from Mariupol, Sumy, Trostyanets, Lebedyn, Konotop, the settlements of Krasnopillya, and Velyka Pysarivka. Ukraine plans to deliver humanitarian aid to Balakleya and Izyum, Kharkiv Oblast.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher fundraise over $34 million for Ukraine. Ukrainian-born U.S. actress Mila Kunis and her husband, U.S. actor Ashton Kutcher said the money was donated to Flexport and Airbnb, which both help Ukrainian refugees.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 3 hrs ago
Strollers have been put in central Lviv on March 18, representing the number of children killed in Russia's war against Ukraine. According to Prosecutor General’s Office, Russian forces have killed 109 children and injured more than 130 since Feb. 24. PHOTO CREDIT: Asami Terajima
FOH9a67WYAAQERo

NEXTA on Twitter - 3 hrs ago
#Russia's Foreign Minister #Lavrov threatens that all transporters that may bring weapons to #Ukraine will be declared military targets.

NEXTA on Twitter
#Peskov said that #Putin will hold an operational meeting with the permanent members of the #Russian Security Council today.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 2 hrs ago
Russia threatens to attack potential supply chains of S-300 air defense systems to Ukraine. Following Slovakia’s statement that it is ready to send the systems to Ukraine if they are immediately replaced, Russian FM Sergey Lavrov said that Moscow “will not allow” the transfer.

NEXTA on Twitter
The European Parliament banned #Russian diplomats from entering its residences in #Brussels and #Strasbourg

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hr ago
General Staff: Russia almost exhausted its entire stockpile of missiles. Russia’s military-industrial sector is working around the clock to replenish its stock, according to Ukraine’s General Staff.

NEXTA on Twitter
The #European Commission will prepare a decision on #Ukraine's application for #EU membership within a few months

Last edited:
MAR 18, 2022
Russian soldiers shoot dead mother of two as she drives family to safety (kyivindependent.com)

In the early morning of March 1, Svitlana Zhulina was driving her family away from war-torn Kyiv Oblast. Her husband, Andriy Vilson, was sitting next to her, their two sons of eight and 10 in the back seat.

They were driving along Zhytomyr Highway, a westbound road very familiar to Kyivans. In peacetime, people would use it to get to the Ukrainian “western capital” of Lviv. Now, it was the road to safety.

Suddenly, Andriy heard a loud explosion and his wife’s head fell against him. A sniper’s bullet had hit her.

He stopped the car and rushed to save the rest of his family.

“It was a horror for the kids. The bullet hit the windshield and their mother who was there just a moment ago is gone,” Andriy said.

The doors were blocked, so he got out through the window and started taking his kids out of the car.

“I took Artem first,” Andriy said of his older son, “and they shot me in the right leg. I hid Artem behind the car hood so they could not reach him.”

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member