Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
By Charu Sudan Kasturi 24 Feb 2022 rbbm.
After ‘bridge to Europe’ bid, Ukraine’s China ties face test | Business and Economy News | Al Jazeera
''Last July, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made a bold offer to his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. On a phone call to mark the 10th anniversary of a strategic partnership between the two countries, Zelenskyy said he wanted Ukraine to become a “bridge to Europe” for Chinese companies.

Seven months later, that hope is being tested in the crucible of Europe’s gravest security crisis since the end of the Cold War, with Russia on Thursday launching a full-scale military offensive against Ukraine''

''China also views Ukraine as a pivotal transit hub and node for Xi’s Belt and Road Initiative, a global web of highways, train routes and ports built with loans from Beijing. A direct train connecting the two nations started last June.

But China’s reluctance to condemn Russian President Vladimir Putin’s announcement of an invasion into eastern Ukraine could complicate this burgeoning partnership, while also injecting fresh uncertainty into economic ties with Europe and the United States, experts say.''

BBC just showed a video of three Russian women standing in Red Square, two with very small signs that I think said, "Peace" and one in a God-aweful bright blue furry coat, bright yellow hat flashing the peace sign. The Paddy Wagon came and carted them all away.

Some others, brave enough to speak, say this is all on Putin, we don't want this (paraphrasing).

It's all so horribly wrong. Let's put the lady in the bright blue Wookie coat in charge!
I think the majority of Russians don't want this. It's all Putin, the government and other authorities. He's playing old games.
My grandfather was Russian and he called them "gangsters". Old fashioned word, but true. imo.

Russia attacks Ukraine; peace in Europe 'shattered'

Associated Press reporters saw or confirmed explosions in the capital Kyiv, in Mariupol on the Azov Sea, and Kharkiv in the east. AP confirmed video showing Russian military vehicles crossing into Ukrainian-held territory in the north from Belarus and from Russian-annexed Crimea in the south.
Odessa in the south on the sea and others in the far west too

By Charu Sudan Kasturi 24 Feb 2022 rbbm.
After ‘bridge to Europe’ bid, Ukraine’s China ties face test | Business and Economy News | Al Jazeera
''Last July, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made a bold offer to his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. On a phone call to mark the 10th anniversary of a strategic partnership between the two countries, Zelenskyy said he wanted Ukraine to become a “bridge to Europe” for Chinese companies.

Seven months later, that hope is being tested in the crucible of Europe’s gravest security crisis since the end of the Cold War, with Russia on Thursday launching a full-scale military offensive against Ukraine''

''China also views Ukraine as a pivotal transit hub and node for Xi’s Belt and Road Initiative, a global web of highways, train routes and ports built with loans from Beijing. A direct train connecting the two nations started last June.

But China’s reluctance to condemn Russian President Vladimir Putin’s announcement of an invasion into eastern Ukraine could complicate this burgeoning partnership, while also injecting fresh uncertainty into economic ties with Europe and the United States, experts say.''
I'm sure Putin just hated the fact that Ukraine was acting in it's own interests with China. Really must have burned his butt...so to speak. 7 months later...

I’m hoping strong sanctions are placed on Belarus today. Indefensible.

Belarus (White-Russia) is a country of it's own with an own dictator/president and not part of Russia. As a country it's a buffer between Europe and Russia, so it has an important strategic role in military movements all together. It's seems like Putin has Loekasjenko in his pocket...the countries are allies.

Mag de Wit-Russische leider Loekasjenko zijn land houden van Poetin?

Part of the article

Russian springboard

In a large-scale invasion, Belarus forms the Russian springboard on Ukraine's northern front. According to NATO, there are now 30,000 Russian soldiers, in addition to Russian warplanes, Iskander missiles that can carry a nuclear payload and anti-aircraft systems.

This is a defensive exercise, Russia and Belarus say, to resist the "threat" to Belarus' southern flank, read: Ukraine. That exercise surpasses all previous ones in scope, NATO says, and what are those two Russian bombers that can fire nuclear missiles doing there?

Resolutely united
The exercise has been christened 'United determination'. Resolutely united: Belarus and Russia have been on paper for decades. Their file drawers are overflowing with treaties, whether or not they have been put into effect.

As early as 1999, they agreed in a Union treaty far-reaching integration, with a single currency, and common courts and parliaments. But Lukashenko, in power since 1994, has been slow to implement it. He was sentenced for this in 2019: from now on Belarus had to pay the full price for its Russian energy bill.

For a long time, Lukashenko managed to play Russia and the European Union off against each other: watch out, I'm about to switch to the other camp. But in 2020, when he rigged the election and mass protests erupted, Lukashenko turned hat in hand to the Kremlin. He received military aid, and $1.5 billion in loans, to compensate for Western sanctions for human rights violations.

Dark clouds
Western sanctions have pushed Lukashenko even further into Putin's arms. Lithuania closed the border for the transit of potash, a raw material for fertilizer and an important export product of Belarus. From now on, exports must go through Russia. Dark clouds hang over the Belarusian state-owned company Belaruskali, which has had to fight against Russian competition and takeover attempts.

No wonder Lukashenko stands by when the Kremlin calls. Last month, Belarus delivered a unit to the Russian-led force to suppress uprisings in Kazakhstan. Lukashenko was full of praise for this rapid intervention. NATO should also take note of this, he said on Russian TV: "While they are still preparing to get their troops here, we can already be on the British Channel."

Last edited:
I think the majority of Russians don't want this. It's all Putin, the government and other authorities. He's playing old games.
My grandfather was Russian and he called them "gangsters". Old fashioned word, but true. imo.

I agree,I think that most of citizens want just to have a normal and peaceful life . Of course there are some exceptions but majority of people have already enough problems in daily life and don’t want a war on top of that.

I read a biography about Putin during lockdown. He's like a James Bond villain level of evil. Total pychopath.

Here is Agenda-free TV, although poor Steve is struggling right now.

Also, I found a fb page already flogging this as a false flag op. :rolleyes:

Dear @MrsWatson,

Thank you for mentioning that biography of Putin. That must have been insightful yet dreadful to read at the same time.

I watched Steve at Agenda-free TV early this morning. Last year I learned of his youtube news channel from someone wonderful here at WS. It may have been you.

All I can think about are families in Ukraine. Watching this play out on the internet is horrifying and there seems to be no end point for Putin.

The world is watching this with such heavy hearts.

Red Cross urges all sides in Ukraine war to protect civilians and essential services | Financial Post

"GENEVA — The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Thursday urged all sides in the Ukraine conflict to respect international humanitarian law, protect civilians and essential services such as water and power supplies."

Belarus (White-Russia) is a country of it's own with an own dictator/president and not part of Russia. As a country it's a buffer between Europe and Russia, so it has an important strategic role in military movements all together. It's seems like Putin has Loekasjenko in his pocket...the countries are allies.

Mag de Wit-Russische leider Loekasjenko zijn land houden van Poetin?

Absolutely.

As the plane landed witnesses said Roman Protasevich was "super scared", and one quoted him as saying "I'll get the death penalty here". He had been charged in absentia with inciting mass protests, but Belarus's KGB security agency also placed him on a list of "individuals involved in terrorist activity".

When the plane's 126 passengers disembarked, police arrested Mr Protasevich and Sofia Sapega, a Russian citizen studying in Lithuania. Three other passengers were listed as remaining in Minsk.

Russian President Vladimir Putin - Mr Lukashenko's strongest political ally - has continued to support him.

Belarus plane: What we know and what we don't

The two men met at the Black Sea resort of Sochi days after the flight diversion, with President Putin later confirming that Russia would move ahead with a second $500m (£352m) loan to Belarus in June. The full $1.5bn loan was initially agreed at a meeting last September.

‘We don’t want this’: Russians react to the Ukraine invasion

People on the streets of Moscow express anger and a sense of hopelessness after Putin’s move

A dark, sombre mood filled the Moscow air on Thursday morning as Russians were coming to terms with the fact that their president had launched a broad military offensive targeting Ukraine.

“I am embarrassed for my country. To be honest with you, I am speechless. War is always scary. We don’t want this,” said Nikita Golubev, a 30-year old teacher.

(...)

There were already signs that Russians were uncomfortable with Putin’s initial decision to recognise the two self-proclaimed republics in Donbas.

On Tuesday, Yuri Dudt, one of Russia’s most popular media personalities, said he “did not vote for this regime” and its need for an empire and felt ashamed, in a post that received almost a million likes in 24 hours.

A fresh poll by the independent Levada Center released on Thursday showed that only 45% of Russians stood in favour of the recognition move that preceded Thursday morning’s dramatic events.

(...)

In the end, no major false flag came, and experts now believe that Putin decided to act without gathering the backing of his own electorate.

“Putin seems totally indifferent to approval on the street. He’s acting not like a politician in need of public support, but like a figure from national history books who cares only about the approval of future historians and readers,” tweeted Alexander Baunov, a political analyst at the Carnegie Moscow Center.

The Russian leader looked to have also surprised some of Russia’s most prominent oligarchs, who saw their wealth tumble as the country’s financial markets collapsed.

(...)

But in a country where a single picket protest can land you in jail, and which saw an unprecedented crackdown on the opposition in the last few years, it remains a question to what extent Russians will be able and willing to take to streets to show their opposition to the bloody conflict. A notable police presence was seen at Red Square and Pushkin Square, places known to host protests.

(...)

‘We don’t want this’: Russians react to the Ukraine invasion

People on the streets of Moscow express anger and a sense of hopelessness after Putin’s move

A dark, sombre mood filled the Moscow air on Thursday morning as Russians were coming to terms with the fact that their president had launched a broad military offensive targeting Ukraine.

“I am embarrassed for my country. To be honest with you, I am speechless. War is always scary. We don’t want this,” said Nikita Golubev, a 30-year old teacher.

(...)

There were already signs that Russians were uncomfortable with Putin’s initial decision to recognise the two self-proclaimed republics in Donbas.

On Tuesday, Yuri Dudt, one of Russia’s most popular media personalities, said he “did not vote for this regime” and its need for an empire and felt ashamed, in a post that received almost a million likes in 24 hours.

A fresh poll by the independent Levada Center released on Thursday showed that only 45% of Russians stood in favour of the recognition move that preceded Thursday morning’s dramatic events.

(...)

In the end, no major false flag came, and experts now believe that Putin decided to act without gathering the backing of his own electorate.

“Putin seems totally indifferent to approval on the street. He’s acting not like a politician in need of public support, but like a figure from national history books who cares only about the approval of future historians and readers,” tweeted Alexander Baunov, a political analyst at the Carnegie Moscow Center.

The Russian leader looked to have also surprised some of Russia’s most prominent oligarchs, who saw their wealth tumble as the country’s financial markets collapsed.

(...)

But in a country where a single picket protest can land you in jail, and which saw an unprecedented crackdown on the opposition in the last few years, it remains a question to what extent Russians will be able and willing to take to streets to show their opposition to the bloody conflict. A notable police presence was seen at Red Square and Pushkin Square, places known to host protests.

(...)
Dictators never do care what their people think. That in the end is always a fatal mistake...but many lives can be lost before an evil ruler is deposed

Just looked up where Latvia gets their gas -

The only country in the EU entirely dependent on Russia for its natural gas supplies, this small Baltic state will open up its natural gas market on April 3, enabling it to finally benefit from other energy sources and break free from Moscow.

Just got gas today - paid about 30 euros for 24 liters... it was 1.60 euros for a liter. I know there is about 4 liters in a gallon. Maybe about 6 gallons for about 44 dollars. So about $6.40 per gallon!! And April 3rd can't come too soon!

zecats said:
snipped...
As Michael Moore requests: "Putin, go get some mental help. The life expectancy of the Russian male is between 62-68 years old. Focus on that."

Well - he is 69 - born Oct. 7, 1952... just saying...

Fika said:
Same, I can’t believe this is actually happening. It’s so close. It’s difficult to grasp the situation. Life seems normal for me here work /home regular days and yet there is a war in Ukraine it’s surreal. It makes me nervous of how the situation develops. Sad for all the innocent people . We just barley left pandemic crisis after two years of stress and worry and now this. Feels like life won’t feel normal for a long time .

WAY too close for me!! :eek: At least the U.S. sent some fighter jets to Latvia!

Ukrainians have no choice but to send Russian soldiers home in body bags.

Truth be told, Putin smelled weakness, and pounced.

Principles of war are timeless. Tyrants and aggressors defeated by force.

Civilian populations suffer once again at the hands of yet another despot.

Fight, Ukraine FIGHT!

Just looked up where Latvia gets their gas -

The only country in the EU entirely dependent on Russia for its natural gas supplies, this small Baltic state will open up its natural gas market on April 3, enabling it to finally benefit from other energy sources and break free from Moscow.

Just got gas today - paid about 30 euros for 24 liters... it was 1.60 euros for a liter. I know there is about 4 liters in a gallon. Maybe about 6 gallons for about 44 dollars. So about $6.40 per gallon!! And April 3rd can't come too soon!

Well - he is 69 - born Oct. 7, 1952... just saying...

WAY too close for me!! :eek: At least the U.S. sent some fighter jets to Latvia!

Ugh yes way too close ! It’s such a stressful times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416