RUSSIA - WNBA star Brittney Griner, Detained @ Sheremetyevo International Airport, 2022 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm in no way saying she should still be imprisoned. I do have so many parts of this situation I don't understand. If you are "lesbian, American, and Black," and it will put you in more danger to be in a particular country, then why in the world would you repeatedly go there to play basketball? She should be able to go anywhere in the world that she desires, but the reality of life is that she can't in certain places without facing more danger. I guess I'm getting too old and cautious. I'm pretty sure I'd stay far away from these kinds of countries. Hopefully, her situation will serve as great education for others. I'm sure she wants something good to come from her situation.
The reason someone like her would go to a country like that is because of a disparity in pay compared to NBA players. WNBA players often supplement their income playing in other nations.

Be that as it may, she was probably fairly safe until the military buildup by Russia on the border with Ukraine. She should have immediately come home then. But familiarity causes complacency. Who knew she would become a pawn?

The fact is, it is prison where she faced the most risks, rather than living in Russia as a ball player there.

Regardless, we Americans don’t tend to leave people to their own devices, when they get into trouble due to risky behavior. People who overdose get Narcan. People who go off high into the wilderness get rescued. People who venture to close to a cliff or fast-moving water, we try to save them. People who get into trouble in other countries, even due to their own stupidity- we try to help them. Etc. It’s who we are as a people.

WNBA players are severely underpaid and need to make enough money to make a living and save for a retirement. The career length for players like this is significantly smaller compared to the average person's career.

I understand wnba players don’t make as much as men but I do think she’s making a decent living just playing in the USA. Over $200,000 is nothing to sneeze at.
I admire anyone who is willing to work a little harder than they have to. No way would I do it in Russia, but that was her choice to make.

I wonder if BG will continue to play in Russia??
The deal is done. I guess we just sit back and pray Viktor Bout suddenly decides to be a good guy? We pray we don’t regret what our administration has done.

I understand wnba players don’t make as much as men but I do think she’s making a decent living just playing in the USA. Over $200,000 is nothing to sneeze at.
I admire anyone who is willing to work a little harder than they have to. No way would I do it in Russia, but that was her choice to make.

I wonder if BG will continue to play in Russia??
The deal is done. I guess we just sit back and pray Viktor Bout suddenly decides to be a good guy? We pray we don’t regret what our administration has done.
She is making 200 for only 5-10 years in the league. That will not be available when she retires. Also to make that much you have to take care of your body and trainers, coaches, chefs all cost alot of money. LeBron James spends 1million on his body every year.

If we paid the athletes what they were worth, she wouldnt have to look to play overseas

WNBA players are severely underpaid and need to make enough money to make a living and save for a retirement. The career length for players like this is significantly smaller compared to the average person's career.
I understand that, it is a big problem. That said, how many of you watch the WNBA? follow a team? buy a players jersey? It is a business and if there isn't as much demand for your product, you can't spend as much on salaries. Doesn't seem fair but that is how this world works. What I don't understand is why a Russian team would pay her a million dollars to play if her being black and gay would automatically make her hated? Personally, in all of the photo's coming out of Russia she never looked mis treated. Yes, she was depressed; I would be too. Prison isn't fun and certainly not what she is used to or ever expected. I don't believe she belonged in prison, nor do half the people we have incarcerated. But all of the comments about what would have happened to her, that she was set up and forced to confess, that her life was endanger because of who she was. That is just pure speculation. I am not mad that people wanted her released and brought home. I do however think that Russia is laughing their &*E#ss off at us for exchanging a basketball player for a dangerous arms dealer all while we slap their hands over the war in Ukraine. We basically gave them someone to help further that war so a celebrity could come home. But, that is just pure speculation on my part.

Trump said that he was offered Whelan in exchange for Boot several years ago. But he refused to make a deal, leaving Whelan languishing in prison. We can’t make Russia take an offer, so we decided to get at least one of our citizens home. There might never have been another chance to rescue Brittney.

Maybe the squeaky shoe gets the grease?! lol.
rbbm.
View attachment 386730
''It is the unofficial soundtrack of basketball, a noise consistently heard but rarely considered — rubber-soled shoes squeaking on the hardwood.

Squeaks are the background rhythm to the game. But that sound is also one of the enduring mysteries of sports, and presents a question that gets scientists talking: Why do basketball shoes squeak?''
I love the sound. One of my favorite sports, to watch. That's hard work all that running.

She is making 200 for only 5-10 years in the league. That will not be available when she retires. Also to make that much you have to take care of your body and trainers, coaches, chefs all cost alot of money. LeBron James spends 1million on his body every year.

If we paid the athletes what they were worth, she wouldnt have to look to play overseas
We don't pay teachers, nurses, or first responders what they are worth, why should athletes be any different.

We don't pay teachers, nurses, or first responders what they are worth, why should athletes be any different.
I agree that we do not value nor compensate teachers anywhere near adequately, but I will just share why athletes make the big bucks (please don't assume I agree or don't agree, just sharing).

Athletes bring in BIG money for communities, schools, etc. and their sports and all that entails, employs A LOT of people.

We could easily argue that teachers in turn generate successful people who in turn also help their communities and also might bring in BIG money, but it is not as immediate so we don't see it nor compensate as readily.

All IMO and worthy of a real discussion.

Griner also specifically thanked Biden ad urged the U.S. to continue to fight to bring imprisoned ex-Marine Paul Whelan home from Russia.

"President Biden, you brought me home and I know you are committed to bringing Paul Whelan and all Americans home too," she wrote. "I will use my platform to do whatever I can to help you. I also encourage everyone that played a part in bringing me home to continue their efforts to bring all Americans home. Every family deserves to be whole."

"My emotions are all over the place," Griner said. "It means so much to me. My family didn't think I would be here, like I've said before, and then to be here and win and gold for my country, representing when my country fought for me so hard to even be standing here. Yeah, this gold medal is going to hold a special place."

"My emotions are all over the place," Griner said. "It means so much to me. My family didn't think I would be here, like I've said before, and then to be here and win and gold for my country, representing when my country fought for me so hard to even be standing here. Yeah, this gold medal is going to hold a special place."

Very touching. I can't even imagine how it must feel for her.

You know what is super cool about this is how She and those celebrities and athletes that lobbied endlessly for her release, worked so hard to help get other, less famous americans freed.

Oh wait, that never happened.

Only a very few professional athletes make enough to make a good living and save for retirement.

NFL (National Football League): Each team has a 53-man active roster, and there are 32 teams. That totals around 1,696 players.

NBA (National Basketball Association): Each team has a 15-man roster, and there are 30 teams. That totals around 450 players.

MLB (Major League Baseball): Each team has a 26-man active roster (with variations during the season), and there are 30 teams. That totals around 780 players.

NHL (National Hockey League): Each team has a 23-man roster, and there are 32 teams. That totals around 736 players.

Adding these together, the total number of players across all four leagues would be approximately 3,662 players. Better for young people to study hard, get good grades in school, and then get a good job either in a trade or in a profession, than to spend time and energy on becoming a "professional athlete". Being a "professional athlete" is pretty much a "pipe dream", IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery
Back