Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say I feel like you have an intuition about Cambrian Hill and from what I've looked up, definitely don't discount it! I just wish I'd driven that way a few days ago when I went for a funeral, I could have attached some real photos, however real-estate.com.au gives a good indication of the huge blocks...
Just as well I am mega kms away otherwise I am the type of person who would be driving there ferreting around pretending to be an Avon lady and trying to get a look at poss perps ... I see this guy with a creepy face who uses drugs and drinks too much and has those lockjaw attack dogs. I might end up lunch for the dogs! It's a strange thing to say but when I see him in the nightmare, I can literally smell that awful body odour bogan men often get. He has a rap sheet ... out of jail not long ago.

Car tracker being one example out of many. They are able to piece together people's movements with the smallest amount of information. Have you watched the show? I recommend you do so that you can see the type of information and surveillance that's available for police.
I was going to say in brackets (if that even matters) about having GPS on my car, but my post was getting long. No I haven't watched it, excuse my ignorance, might try find it and watch it

Does anyone know much about thermal imaging? I’m interested to know, how long a deceased body would stay warm for, enough that they could be picked up on thermal imaging.

And can thermal imaging cameras be used from aircraft?

And that might just blow the case out of the water and prevent charges being laid or a successful trial. All the trouble Lisa Wilkinson caused by speaking out. Not the same, I know. But fam has to follow advice from police.
..yeah but..because of the horrible reporting around poor Nicola bulley I initially that too..

…however the odds lean more towards she gets forgotten about …rather than it will affect laying charges…

Also..where is your evidence that the police have told him specifically to not talk to the press?

..yeah but..because of the horrible reporting around poor Nicola bulley I initially that too..

…however the odds lean more towards she gets forgotten about …rather than it will affect laying charges…

Also..where is your evidence that the police have told him specifically to not talk to the press?
I think it was me that said that MM may well have been told by police not to engage with media ... I have no proof of that though and may be completely wrong. In his situation I would be roaming around the bush calling her name though of course, I don't think she is there. I just wouldn't know what to do. It must be hell and I don't think any reaction in his situation is unusual. You just try to keep going ... first thing in the morning is often the hardest time but he has 3 kids so poor bugger just has to find a way.

Does anyone know much about thermal imaging? I’m interested to know, how long a deceased body would stay warm for, enough that they could be picked up on thermal imaging.

And can thermal imaging cameras be used from aircraft?

Aviation command, Aust Police have them, on both helicopter and fixed wing

They pick up heat segments of a body, can detect a body a good distance away around 1000m or a bit more

These have been used for searching for Sam

probably another reason why police don't think she is in there

It was John Robson, Sam's dad who said they had been told not to talk to the press.

'Forget about it mate. I'm not allowed to say "boo",' Mr Robson said on Tuesday afternoon.
'The police have asked us not to say ****** all.'
When asked why he was unable to talk about his daughter, Mr Robson said police had told him all information regarding her and the investigation would come from them.
'Anything that is going to be released, they'll release it,' he said. 'We're not talking mate. Thanks very much.'

source

It was John Robson, Sam's dad who said they had been told not to talk to the press.

'Forget about it mate. I'm not allowed to say "boo",' Mr Robson said on Tuesday afternoon.
'The police have asked us not to say ****** all.'
When asked why he was unable to talk about his daughter, Mr Robson said police had told him all information regarding her and the investigation would come from them.
'Anything that is going to be released, they'll release it,' he said. 'We're not talking mate. Thanks very much.'

source
I remember reading that Sam's sister had barred the press from going near her parents but I think that was the Dail Mail so they probably made it up ... they normally do.

Exactly.

BBM: How?

People of missing person's usually don't just organise their own press interviews IMO, they are usually done with police ( & I'd imagine are told what they can & can not say also by the investigators)

The police have said the husband / family have been absolutely fantastic in co-operating with police. He could have handed everything over to police, we just don't know, give access to whatever they want etc

Detective Acting Inspector Mark Hatt told reporters Ms Murphy's husband was not a suspect and the family had been "absolutely fantastic" in cooperating with police.

I'm sure Vic Police have been doing a hell of alot behind the scenes....this isn't their first rodeo IMO. They said they talk to the family everyday in one of the pressers if I re-call...
I would gather they didn’t collect this kind of vital information early on as Sams disappearance was not viewed as ‘suspicious’ initially ?

I agree police would be manipulating the media now ..but I see no reason for them to lie to the public early on and say nothing was suspicious the first few days..if they really did think it was?

Unfortunately in that frame of mind..so many opportunities would have already be lost.

I just get the sense they dropped the ball the first few days..

There was SO much hesitation / uncertainty when talking about MM in the press conference…
…the way it was mentioned “he’s not a suspect..as this time” gives the indication he may well be later..

..so much more work trying to get evidence..later.

If Sam’s disappearance/abduction had been well planned and orchestrated, wouldn’t perpetrators deliberately not bring along their phones and devices? It seems to be the undoing of many criminals.

I would gather they didn’t collect this kind of vital information early on as Sams disappearance was not viewed as ‘suspicious’ initially ?

I agree police would be manipulating the media now ..but I see no reason for them to lie to the public early on and say nothing was suspicious the first few days..if they really did think it was?

Unfortunately in that frame of mind..so many opportunities would have already be lost.

There was SO much hesitation / uncertainty when talking about MM in the press conference…
…the way it was mentioned “he’s not a suspect..as this time” gives the indication he may well be later..

Must be hard for police though to know at what point it is likely foul play. In those early days people thought she may gave collapsed with a health issue and been lying in the bushes somewhere.

All this talk about gps tracking of cars, phone data etc. But that assumes the perp/s had a car with gps / had a phone on them. If it was well planned, you’d think not.

I’m getting a hunch maybe it wasn’t planned and police may have data/info already. Maybe it was random / someone known to sam that didn’t think about car gps/phone tracking.

Thanks so much for that! I have a feeling about Sebastopol and Cambrian Hill ... every time I look at my map I always get drawn to them. <snip>

@Dogmum05 - I'm going to attach the files I have of various search areas (printed in media or otherwise via this forum)

1) This first one is from ABC online (news) article - 7th of Feb 2024 - indicating these are the initial search areas
7 feb abc.png

2) Next one is news article (also ABC) from 11th Feb 2024 - notice the search areas differ
11 feb abc.png

3) then on 17th Feb 2024 - the vicpol helicopter spent time here
17 feb 2024.jpeg

3) continued - helicopter seemed to land/was off radar at about this location for a period of time (also 17 Feb 2024) before returning to Melbourne (Essendon)

17 feb 2024 part 2.jpeg

4) Mount Clear area indicated as new search zone of interest - 23rd Feb 2024 (*same day LE confirm they have phone/digital confirmation of her location at Mount Clear)

23rd feb.jpeg

5) 7 news prints a picture with locations - 3/4 March 2024
7 news - 3 March 2024.jpg

6) Today - police plane revisits Ballarat - 4 March 2024 (*same day info about LE having increased availability of phone data from towers)

4 march 2024.jpeg

4 march 2024 pt 2.jpeg

Hope this is helpful to have all in one recent post. If anyone has any additional bits I've missed, let me know and I will edit.

Something happened today that made me think.
Got one of those missing people alerts on my phone.
Described the man as thin and unshaven. Right away I thought, druggie.
Then I looked at his photo on Twitter.

Nice looking and neat, with a well cared for little beard and moustache.

Just goes to show what an effect words can have.

Last edited:

Speaking to the Herald Sun,
Mick said: “I’ve been speaking with the police and I’ve been advised not to say anything”. From an article Feb 8th

Also in this old news article,
Her phone pinged just hours after she vanished and has since gone silent.”
So maybe that rumored 5pm ping was actually much earlier.

I’m sure if you had a family member go missing and you felt the compulsion to ask the public for more assistance in another short press conference the police would sooner or later have to accommodate you?

@Dogmum05 - I'm going to attach the files I have of various search areas (printed in media or otherwise via this forum)

1) This first one is from ABC online (news) article - 7th of Feb 2024 - indicating these are the initial search areas
View attachment 487913

2) Next one is news article (also ABC) from 11th Feb 2024 - notice the search areas differ
View attachment 487914

3) then on 17th Feb 2024 - the vicpol helicopter spent time here
View attachment 487915

3) continued - helicopter seemed to land/was off radar at about this location for a period of time (also 17 Feb 2024) before returning to Melbourne (Essendon)

View attachment 487916

4) Mount Clear area indicated as new search zone of interest - 23rd Feb 2024 (*same day LE confirm they have phone/digital confirmation of her location at Mount Clear)

View attachment 487918

5) 7 news prints a picture with locations - 3/4 March 2024
View attachment 487923

6) Today - police plane revisits Ballarat - 4 March 2024 (*same day info about LE having increased availability of phone data from towers)

View attachment 487920

View attachment 487921

Hope this is helpful to have all in one recent post. If anyone has any additional bits I've missed, let me know and I will edit.
Thank you very sincerely ... this is brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow