Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I am hearing of his life as the time goes on, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does have a history of violence towards his gf or any of his past partners. I feel your theory may be very much what has happened. When he’s been doing the drugs all night, has a fight with gf then in his anger and not thinking he has been capable of doing the unthinkable and he didn’t care who he did it to.
Something led the police pretty directly to him and to know this was intentional. MOO we are going to find out he has a history of contact with local police, possibly with sexual violence as well.

MOO

I think following the night out he may have had a fight with his girlfriend and left the Scotsburn home to go stay at his parents house. Somewhere along the way he has come across Samantha on her morning run. I believe in his angry, drug fuelled state he sexually assaulted her, and then murdered her to avoid being reported. He has then disposed of her somewhere using his car.

I also wonder whether he has a history of violence toward his partner? It would fit the bill.

MOO
I do think its very plausible he's had a fight and made his way towards his parents house, which seems to be Mt Clear? So he could of come across her, maybe.

The only thing I can't get on board with a little is the drug/alcohol fuelled state allowing this successful clean up as the police don't know where Samantha's body is.

Does anyone know anything about the career of PS's atty?

David Tamanika is a local (to Ballarat) criminal lawyer,

His website does not show any experience with murder cases, but it likely won't be long before they enlist the services of a pricey barrister - should this case go to trial.

Sometimes a barrister will work in conjunction with the local lawyer, with the local lawyer doing the more mundane stuff and the barrister doing the important stuff and guiding the way (to keep the costs down a bit). Or a barrister's law firm could take on the case completely.

Some of it may depend on whether the accused can afford legal representation for a murder trial, or if he will apply for Legal Aid services.
With Legal Aid they will pay the lawyer if the lawyer accepts what Legal Aid will pay. Or they will enlist a lawyer who takes Legal Aid cases.

imo

I
It would be good to map the accused house sitting home, parents home, SM running route, assumed end of SM run, pubs the accused was known to be at on the night, etc? With approx times.It might help clarify if accused was likely in vehicle, on foot etc. A challenge for the expert mapsters ?
I created a map in NearMap with the locations, but haven’t mapped in her running route. What route do we think she took on her run? Let me know and I can add this in.

Does anyone know anything about the career of PS's atty?
He may have been the family solicitor , used for business mergers, statutory declarations re business, etc.. He appears to be one of those really quite busy local chaps, who do all the local court stuff, drunk driving, disorderly conduct, neighbor disputes, bits of Family court stuff, and so on.. ..

Since this is a major crime, a barrister ( one who is qualified to plead a case before the Supreme Court of Victoria , which this case will be heard at, once it passes thru the County Court, ( PS and Tamiko will make a brief appearance at a Magistrates Court, probably this month sometime, then a bit of time elapses )... will be either hired by the family, or one will be appointed by the court ( on a first cab rank rule , the barrister has no choice ) depending on the blokes financial situation.

( for the uninitiated,,.. the level of the court's involvement goes like this, Magistrates court, County Court, Supreme Court, and then for the really argumentative and hopelessly combative,:cool: the Australian High Court in Canberra ) ...

Sometimes, some high flying barrister will offer to do the case, from the publicity angle. Some one from Frank Galbally's office, perhaps ( a high flying criminal defence lawyer firm , long established in Melbourme ) ..

It is probable that the case will be heard in Melbourne, although, the Supreme Court of Vic does a Circuit route thru all the decent sized regional towns in Vic, Shepparton, Ballarat, Mildura, Wangaratta, Bendigo, Warnambool, Sale, Wodonga, I think Horsham, not sure.. So Ballarat is a possibility, but a detached jury from Ballarat would be a bit of a problem, perhaps..

Last edited:

The Sunday Herald Sun reports police have identified a new location of interest in the search and are reviewing security camera footage from businesses in a light industrial and residential area of Ballarat East.

Homeowners and businesses in Elsworth, Joseph and Butt streets in the suburb of Canadian have handed over footage from the time Ms Murphy disappeared and police have also searched the area, which is home to businesses such as panel beaters, gyms and self-storage facilities.

I have mapped SM's run (not knowing if this was her exact route), ending at Boak Road, Mount Clear. I've also mapped in 's parents house. 1 Pearl Court is around 1.5km walk from Boak Road, depending on route you take.

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 73
It's only fair to assume the accused parents will be covering the legal costs. They do come across as nice, caring people and financially stable.

It will take time to find a suitable QC which is often the case in these high profile cases.

Then there is the sorting out of finances and budget to move forward.

Such kind of representation will go into the hundreds of thousands.

All matter of opinion, but a cone of silence from the accused towards police is 100% expected until a suitable defence is arranged, which can take time.

I'm sure the family of the accused have their own initial shock and grieving of sorts to deal with, so there's that too.

GF looked very calm and composed in the Daily Fail photos, blowing kisses to the horses. Imagine your partner being arrested for murder… but maybe GF is relieved, huge weight lifted, abusive partner behind bars. Fair chance GF has something to do with accused’ arrest & well done if so. MOO

Also just a smokey of an idea to throw in the mix, there has been debate the accused was driving a car, riding a motor bike or on foot when he encountered SM. Most assume car. But I wondered, he had access to horses, has experience riding, could he have been on horseback? Totally left field, I don’t think likely but you never know… MOO
I feel like the photo of the girlfriend may just be a photo of her from the past rather than one just taken after his arrest.

I feel like the photo of the girlfriend may just be a photo of her from the past rather than one just taken after his arrest.
From this article it seems it was after his arrest. At this stage they were referring to her as a “friend” of PS. I think this was the house they were housesitting, so she came back to feed the horses.

It's only fair to assume the accused parents will be covering the legal costs. They do come across as nice, caring people and financially stable.

It will take time to find a suitable QC which is often the case in these high profile cases.

All matter of opinion, but a cone of silence from the accused towards police is 100% expected until a suitable defence is arranged, which can take time.

I'm sure the family of the accused have their own initial shock and grieving of sorts to deal with, so there's that too.

Won't he get a Public Defender?

Does it depend on family's financial status?

The Sunday Herald Sun reports police have identified a new location of interest in the search and are reviewing security camera footage from businesses in a light industrial and residential area of Ballarat East.

Homeowners and businesses in Elsworth, Joseph and Butt streets in the suburb of Canadian have handed over footage from the time Ms Murphy disappeared and police have also searched the area, which is home to businesses such as panel beaters, gyms and self-storage facilities.
I wonder if he had a self storage facility?

His parents may well have had enough of their son. IMO

As he is of adult age, I would think it would depend on Patrick's financial status, not that of his family, unless they are able and decide to foot the bill? JMO
Yes.
Exactly.
He is an adult.
That is why I thought about a Public Defender as the cost of private lawyer and Defence team would be enormous.

I wonder if he did sleep between 4.00am and 7.00am at the Scotsburn address. IMO

Then by motorbike he cut through the Canadian Plantation, sees SM and he gets an idea - but he has his phone and bike. IMO

So he heads home to Mt Clear and picks up the car and leaves the phone, and catches up to where SM who is now near Recreation Road and Boak Road. JMO

Maybe they have CCTV of him in 2 forms of vehicle at that time of the morning. MOO

Also maybe the new address -Butt Street - where there is commercial buildings - is there a gym??, that he could wash himself off at? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper