Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite curious about the fact that the public have not been asked for sightings or footage of the suspect’s vehicle with a specific description of the make and model now that he has been arrested.

As far as I am aware, all that has been sought so far are reports of vehicles with damage in the area.

Knowing the colour, make, model and specific features of a vehicle might really help jog someone’s memory.

Could it be that police already have enough information? And if so, they might be narrowing down the suspect’s movements to specific search locations?
I feel like I am missing something.
Is there a reason the vehicle wouldn’t be described?
maybe so as not to alert the perp to hide the car or paint it?

You've got me chasing my tail trying to locate my source and after some time trying to locate this infirmation I have located it. I checked my saved docs. and could not locate a saved webpage nor image. I checked my notes and footage was shown during a news segment on the news block period 28/2/2024 to 1/3/2024 I have written 'blood hounds now searching' I watch JO'B ABC news; SBS World news and The World.

haha thank you, ive looked for awhile and typed so many search titles but nothing so far, i did read theyd used bloodhounds and we discussed it here but they only track live people i think?
bearbear I believe I also may have read information on the dogs being used on BigFooty.com but I cannot locate those notes so I haven't written it down from BigFooty.com

his dna on the body, even loose hair fibres or his face skin under her nails?
Definitely especially if SA or nefarious attack occurred. But also Ballarat has (someone mentioned before) 100,000ish people. If no one is there to link the accused to the crime, and his dna is not with police, why risk going to concealment? We don’t know a lot about his behavior after the fact or what exactly lead to the arrest but “seemingly” he went on with his life in a way that points to complete lack of regard for the gravity of his alleged attack or concern to be caught, like he wasn’t worried at all. why have gone to the effort? that’s what has me pondering this fact.

bearbear I believe I also may have read information on the dogs being used on BigFooty.com but I cannot locate those notes so I haven't written it down from BigFooty.com
ok thank you, i also read that site so will have a look there too, i dont mean to be so obsessed with this cadaver dog issue, but it really bothers me if they didnt use them searching for sm, i feel they may have found her body by now if they had

W
When I posted I was frustrated with the lack of 'true detective' thinking.

Love all your points Toowong(s), really interesting and thought out, not just regurgitating that latest tidbit of info.
Where you mention taking backroads to some out of the way place, it may fit in to my theory of where the body is.
I need to think more about the non-release of the vehicle details and dam searching before posting.

My 'true detective' question is why did a seemingly normal guy, living a pretty normal life suddenly change into an alleged monster overnight? As police have mentioned. He's never been in custody before. If he did accidentally injure her and panic, he'd leave a trail of evidence a mile wide.

You asked what my theory is, well I've always thought someone else is involved. To what extent I don't know.
Someone that coerced him or convinced him to do something.

My theory is that the accused was 'hired', offered a large amount of money (in his eyes) to make a problem disappear. 20, 30 grand might have been enough. It fits with the lack of evidence because it was meticulously planned, probably by someone or some people smarter than the accused. Obviously not well enough. They nearly got away with it. Now the police want details of those that hired him. He's afraid to give those details up, as he knows he'd be finished off by them should he be released. He'd probably be safer behind bars now.

It seems out of character for him, because it is. Money got in the way and of course his incompetence became evident. He was hired to distance the real perpetrator from the crime.

Where's the body?

I know this theory sounds cliched and a little morbid, so please ignore the following if you're concerned.

Pretty much everyone in these true crime circles I imagine has heard pigs are the most efficient at removing a body from existence. I wonder if a large pig farm exists around the Ballarat area? If you do find one, please don't post any details about it as it's just a theory and purely speculation.

Love to hear more 'true detective' questions.
Whilst I don’t subscribe to the ‘hired ‘ theory , the body disposal by pigs is very colourful, and even more colourful / fanciful is the other predator … the crocodile .
How far from the attack scene is the nearest adult crocodile ?
A mere 6 Km ….

Definitely especially if SA or nefarious attack occurred. But also Ballarat has (someone mentioned before) 100,000ish people. If no one is there to link the accused to the crime, and his dna is not with police, why risk going to concealment? We don’t know a lot about his behavior after the fact or what exactly lead to the arrest but “seemingly” he went on with his life in a way that points to complete lack of regard for the gravity of his alleged attack or concern to be caught, like he wasn’t worried at all. why have gone to the effort? So that’s what has me pondering this fact.
thats true, not caring because hes not on any register, unless he does have a history or his dna is on file somewhere? didnt a neighbour mention he wore an army uniform sometimes, unless it was just an army surplus jacket, i dont know, but if he was in reserves or something like that would they subject applicants to a blood test?

I suggest police spoke to the accused early in the investigation, perhaps following up on what may have occurred at a venue the night before, and/or as part of talking to people who may have noticed or recorded something in the forest the next day. Routine inquiries pretty much. And he told them a pack of lies, after which he became a suspect, and they went covert rather than caution him too soon. The lies would then form part of the evidence against him.
Please bear with me as I ramble through my own personal brain f*&ts:

We heard very early on that Samantha & Mick had dinner with friends the night before she went missing.

We don’t know where that was, but there was a question from a reporter at a police presser, asking were they looking at her movements at a hospitality venue the previous night ( maybe just a harmless random question)

Did S & M only go to dinner, then home early or did they kick on for awhile afterwards, maybe listen to a band, have a dance, play the pokies, go to a show ( I don’t know what was on that night in Ballarat )

We heard that was also out that same night - on a bender it was said (although reports have since stated that the ‘partying’ video of him was not of that Saturday night 3rd Feb)

Maybe they were at the same venue, maybe their paths crossed, maybe he heard her saying about her running plans, maybe he’s just someone who should’ve been locked up earlier!!

Sorry, I’m really at a loss to figure out any of this horrible situation.

Evidence for a murder charge to stick without a body has to be damning - not "good enough".
Correct. Which is why they couldn't charge the accused, of a similar case like this last year in the same town, with murder. They had to downgrade the charge to manslaughter. By the time they were able to find the body 8 months later at the bottom of a mineshaft, it was so badly decomposed that they couldn't determine how the victim died.

maybe so as not to alert the perp to hide the car or paint it?
Yes, I can certainly see this being a reason prior to the suspect’s arrest.
But now that he is in custody, and supposing the vehicle is implicated in the alleged crime, I thought the vehicle’s description might be useful.

On the other hand I can see police keeping their cards close to their chests and not alerting the suspect to what evidence they already have.

Love all your points Toowong(s), really interesting and thought out, not just regurgitating that latest tidbit of info.
Where you mention taking backroads to some out of the way place, it may fit in to my theory of where the body is.
I need to think more about the non-release of the vehicle details and dam searching before posting.

My 'true detective' question is why did a seemingly normal guy, living a pretty normal life suddenly change into an alleged monster overnight? As police have mentioned. He's never been in custody before. If he did accidentally injure her and panic, he'd leave a trail of evidence a mile wide.

You asked what my theory is, well I've always thought someone else is involved. To what extent I don't know.

My theory is that the accused was 'hired', offered a large amount of money (in his eyes) to make a problem disappear. 20, 30 grand might have been enough. It fits with the lack of evidence because it was meticulously planned, probably by someone or some people smarter than the accused. Obviously not well enough. They nearly got away with it. Now the police want details of those that hired him. He's afraid to give those details up, as he knows he'd be finished off by them should he be released. He'd probably be safer behind bars now.

It seems out of character for him, because it is. Money got in the way and of course his incompetence became evident. He was hired to distance the real perpetrator from the crime.

Where's the body?

I know this theory sounds cliched and a little morbid, so please ignore the following if you're concerned.

Pretty much everyone in these true crime circles I imagine has heard pigs are the most efficient at removing a body from existence. I wonder if a large pig farm exists around the Ballarat area? If you do find one, please don't post any details about it as it's just a theory and purely speculation.

Is the avenue of examining the oddities about this crime and viewing SM as a victim who was murdered (or taken out as it is suggested in this dialogue) not because she retreived a stolen CPAP machine for a friend but supposedly linked to suspected misadventure and dealings possibly related to her work?
There has been fingering at persons' since SM went missing.
Do we entertain this line of investigation?

Watch and listen to what Shane Patton PC stated

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not him who is an electrician and telecomms tech. That is his father.

The accused is either a rookie electrician or an apprentice electrician - due to his age.

I'm not remembering the police say anyone with advanced skills attacked Samantha. I think that might have been one of the theories in the Under Investigation show. imo
Hi SA. I think it’s quite possible that the accused has completed his apprenticeship. It’s usually over 4 years, but he may’ve done his last 2 years at school ‘trade based’ as opposed to trying for Uni entry level grades.

And I guess that makes any difference, because if qualified he would be able to go off by himself to do jobs. imo

Where's the body?

Interesting points
You really go there..
I feel like you’re blurring reality and Hollywood a little too much in the push for dramatization … it’s not true detective that’s a tv show.
A woman who has a family and children has been murdered. That’s not always dramatic in terms of the details it’s sometimes just plain banal evil with simple psychological explanations.
Not many facts to go on at present.

Last edited:
W

Whilst I don’t subscribe to the ‘hired ‘ theory , the body disposal by pigs is very colourful, and even more colourful / fanciful is the other predator … the crocodile .
How far from the attack scene is the nearest adult crocodile ?
A mere 6 Km ….

Make fun of it if you must, but perhaps you'll have a rethink after reading this article.

'When he was finally arrested in February of 2002, it was almost by chance. Investigators had raided his pig farm looking for illicit weapons, only to find items belonging to long-missing women.

A search of Pickton’s farm revealed DNA evidence of 26 missing women, and the pig farmer was charged with their murders.'

Who in their right mind would hire a 22 year old with no previous experience in murder or body disposal to complete a hit? It seems highly unlikely that anyone would take the risk of doing so with so much on the line.

I know you're trying to think outside the box but some of the things you're coming up with are pure imagination with no logical connection to the facts of the case.

Make fun of it if you must, but perhaps you'll have a rethink after reading this article.

'When he was finally arrested in February of 2002, it was almost by chance. Investigators had raided his pig farm looking for illicit weapons, only to find items belonging to long-missing women.

A search of Pickton’s farm revealed DNA evidence of 26 missing women, and the pig farmer was charged with their murders.'

Are you able to find a connection between the accused and a local pig farm? Does he own one? Or work at one?

I'll see your Carly's boyfriend and raise you John Sharpe... John got sick and tired of being married, and fatherhood and all that, so he shot his wife with a spear gun, and then went and bought another one and shot the little girl. He deposited them in the local rubbish dump, and the sterling VICPOL had to wade thru weeks of house hold rubbish to get to the day they figured out he had got rid of the bodies.. . days of upending garbage , day in , day out, 3 weeks of it.. John got life. 2 terms.

John, mistakenly, came out and gave press conferences, they were the worst, the worst public appearances by a 'grieving husband and father' I have ever seen....

Some do get lucky, but most, do not, I don't think this young man is going to win this contest with the VICPOL. They've seen 'em come and go.
Just catching up on last two days.
I do remember this case!

"Self harm" later morphed into "protecting father's identity as a football star".
I, like a few others, questioned this lawyer’s experience with defending someone charged with Murder. The poor guy was possibly thrown in the deep end & in his attempts to at least float, made some gaffs

For me, the big question is, does currently have legal representation, and if so, who is it ?

moo.

Australia does have feral pigs, and in some areas, in plague proportions.

Pig issue puts people in the mud - Ballarat Times​

1710420427097.png
Times News Group
https://timesnewsgroup.com.au › ballarat › news › pig-iss...

1 Aug 2023 — CONCERNS have been raised about the prevalence of feral pigs within Golden Plains Shire, and some residents are seeking to find a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member