Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, wouldn't a decaying body smell be noticeable before collection was arranged? Especially in the summer heat. IMO.

Edit to add - it could just be the disposal of SM personal belongings that were intended.
I was more inferring the waste bin or job site was a temporary solution for the storage of the body before another location could be found

Appreciate that, just think it being SMALL..surely it has to much more to put murder and working alone. Must be a damming piece of CCTV...i just think his phone movements aren't enough IMO for the charges brought against him.

Yes, I think it must be a damning piece of CCTV.

I hate to keep going back to other cases (but they are good for Vicpol comparisons) .... but the police had Greg Lynn's vehicle on CCTV, and they covertly investigated him, and it still took many months (I think 20 months) before they could get enough to arrest him.

imo

I am a little confused... has he admitted to killing SM and then remained silent. He has been charged, was that by evidence from LE with phone data only.
But has he admitted to killing Samantha?? A full bHe has been charged with her murder, but I'm not sure he has confessed to anything. If he confessed, it won't need to go to trial. But he would need to say where her body is for a true confession

But has he admitted to killing Samantha?? A full bHe has been charged with her murder, but I'm not sure he has confessed to anything. If he confessed, it won't need to go to trial. But he would need to say where her body is for a true confession
No he hasn't admitted it AS FAR AS WE KNOW. All we have been told is that hes 1) been charged 2) not cooperating.
So as it stands, seemingly no confession and certainly no indication of where her body is.

No he hasn't admitted it AS FAR AS WE KNOW. All we have been told is that hes 1) been charged 2) not cooperating.
So as it stands, seemingly no confession and certainly no indication of where her body is.

It is in equal parts fascinating and frustrating.

Could he have confessed to a close friend/family/GF of the murder (but not the body location) who then did the right thing and reported it? He was then arrested, had freaked out and has gone quiet, so police have a witness who will testify to the confession? I’m starting to lean towards this.

An alternative is he’s at some stage confessed to a fantasy that fits this description.

Police are certain SM was murdered, and certain it was by the accused, and I believe they are saying this happened at Mt Clear around 8am. So there MUST be irrefutable evidence in the police’s eyes that (a) SM was murdered and (b) it was the accused. Other than some sort of irrefutable CCTV, dashcam, phone footage, an eye witness or maybe a voice call or recording from SM eg SM getting a quick call away “I’ve been [insert weapon of choice]! It’s a young guy, while Ute, I’m at My Clear… help….”

Most of those scenarios might have led to an even quicker arrest, almost immediately surely.

I’m not even sure CCTV of the accused with the body - say the accused Ute going past a camera and SM is visible in the front or back seat would be enough to be confident SM is deceased, was murdered, and that was all committed by the accused acting alone. It would only be evidence of a kidnapping or if it was clear SM was deceased, tampering with a body.

This case is very perplexing, not following the expected “script”.

In that case, wouldn't a decaying body smell be noticeable before collection was arranged? Especially in the summer heat. IMO.

Edit to add - it could just be the disposal of SM personal belongings that were intended.
He also likely had clothing- his own, and possibly a weapon that required disposal. LE has many of his possessions now- I think if any of SM's DNA is on anything he owns, that would be ...let us say... difficult to explain.

The accused not cooperating with the police is frustrating for all involved.

I feel that police would need irrefutable evidence to present to him as a 'gotcha' moment but even then he may remain silent hoping a lawyer could save him in a trial?

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, in the sense that if you don't cooperate you look guilty and if you do talk your words could be used against you.

Perhaps the accused is one of the millions who watched this video and is taking it quite literally:

If the victim was allegedly transported by a car,
then there must be victim's DNA there.

Period.

Even deep cleaning cannot get rid of all evidence.

Police have taken the car for examination.

The problem would be if the victim was allegedly not put into the vehicle
or the vehicle altogether was allegedly not used in the crime.

Then,
maybe the clothes the alleged perp was wearing at the time might tell their story.

I hope I put the words: "alleged/ly" in the right places in sentences to make sense :oops:

JMO

In MOO the perp. would want to dispose of the body as quickly as possible after what they had done to SM and also anything associated or attached to the body. We have to keep this real: the alleged perp. wants to dissociate and disconnect as quickly as possible and the detachment aspect is the vital element of understanding what the alleged perp. did next. Going back home is of great importance. If I were a parent I would pick up on conflicted behaviour but we have this other footage of the suspected perp. doing absurd activities, so we may suspect the parent accepting this behaviour, I'm not sure (?) The most logical place to dispose of something is in the bin. Hiding it means there is attachment and the alleged perp. wants to hold onto it. The psychological aspect is very important but too involved to expand here. MOO

I am wondering if they will bring in a expert team of "confined space drone pilots" to search some of the mineshafts. I'm sure the technology and skillset required exists by now.

IMO for certain mines, I don't think looking down there with a camera is going to be enough. Some mines hold a lot of water and debris. If a killer is meticulously trying to conceal a body - they may go to the effort of throwing a bunch of leaves, twigs and dirt down there to disguise at cursory glance. My guess is experts would likely be able to tell the difference from a regular eye, as they do with the openings being disturbed?
Many are covered/grated but I know people who have discovered some uncovered ones and also claim of a few unmarked mines that don't appear on maps and I do hope those are being reported and documented.

IMO for certain mines, I don't think looking down there with a camera is going to be enough. Some mines hold a lot of water and debris. If a killer is meticulously trying to conceal a body - they may go to the effort of throwing a bunch of leaves, twigs and dirt down there to disguise at cursory glance. My guess is experts would likely be able to tell the difference from a regular eye, as they do with the openings being disturbed?
Many are covered/grated but I know people who have discovered some uncovered ones and also claim of a few unmarked mines that don't appear on maps and I do hope those are being reported and documented.
Good points.. I did not consider a mine shaft being flooded with water.

Dogs can smell the scent, even through water.

Maybe Samantha did "tell him off" about something, which made him angry. Possibly in his life other people had often "told him off" (teachers? parents? even girlfriend?), and this was the last straw.
Excellent points. What has happened in the alleged perp. early life to condition them to behave in the way they have? What has created the trigger--the act of acting this rage? Did the alleged perp. get picked on at school? MOO

If they haven't found the body by looking at his movements and tracking him on the day of, then I believe he may have stored the body in the boot and gone out in the following days to dispose - OR he put it somewhere day of, then went back and moved it somewhere else later on. Both of these scenarios mean they would have to spend a lot of time tracing his movements within the following 2 weeks, which may explain why she hasn't yet been found.

Otherwise I believe they would have been able to narrow in on the location of the body by now. These two potential scenarios make the most sense to me.

Excellent points. What has happened in the alleged perp. early life to condition them to behave in the way they have? What has created the trigger--the act of acting this rage? Did the alleged perp. get picked on at school? MOO

Psychopathy allegedly seems to be related to the underdevelopment of parts of the brain responsible for emotional regulation and impulse control.
So it might mean it is inborn.

JMO

There was debate about which type of tracking dogs were used as Victoria don't have cadaver dogs and I wonder how far scent travels up a mineshaft?

It appears the technology exists to replace cadaver dogs, atleast in certain applications, [down mine shafts] ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatMeryl