Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i appreciate responses to my questioning of delay in justice for Samantha...
Back ups in courts seems to be a situation in both Australia and in the USA...

I just need to be more patient.

JMO

This is true of course, but what is quite unusual in this case is that a suspect has been arrested and charged with murder, with Police making quite firm statements that they know (a) the victim is dead and (b) that it was a deliberate killing; but there is no information at all about a basic theory of the case.

That is pretty rare I think - normally there would be, either through police making information public or from the known facts, some outline understanding on the part of the press/public as to the nature and basis of the charge - motive/relationship, forensic/electronic evidence, discovery of body etc.

Whereas here - unless the Police have gone totally nuts - it is apparent that they must have some absolutely crucial evidence, the nature of which is not known at all. Which is going to prompt curiosity!
I think there must be video of some kind. Barring a full confession, I don't see how else they could know it was deliberate.

I think there must be video of some kind. Barring a full confession, I don't see how else they could know it was deliberate.
Maybe. Could be other things - incriminating messages on his phone, evidence of someone else at the scene, discovery of a murder weapon (you don't kill someone accidentally with a bloodied axe). But it is intriguing that we don't even know the basic category of the evidence!

I think,
and it is only my opinion,
ALLEGEDLY

that there is a witness
(or two),
who was/were in this car with the accused.

Somebody who,
through a lawyer,
became an informant/protected witness.
Or plural - witnesses.

Somebody who saw what happened, but was/were afraid to report to authorities
but, eventually, did so.

And this person doesn't know where the victim was finally concealed.

I guess this tragedy happened during returning home by car - with his mates/OR girlfriend.

A crown witness???

Or the accused blurted the truth to somebody who informed Police.

Besides,
If his phone pinged in the area where Samantha allegedly collapsed -
then, IMO, the crime could not have been premeditated.

Allegedly!!!!!!

JMO

Last edited:
Maybe. Could be other things - incriminating messages on his phone, evidence of someone else at the scene, discovery of a murder weapon (you don't kill someone accidentally with a bloodied axe). But it is intriguing that we don't even know the basic category of the evidence!
That's true yea. The type of murder weapon used. But without the body, how could you know for certain that the axe was used to kill Samantha Murphy and not some other poor person? The Australian police seem very certain that this is the man who killed Samantha Murphy. Not that this guy killed somebody, but that this guy killed her.

That's true yea. The type of murder weapon used. But without the body, how could you know for certain that the axe was used to kill Samantha Murphy and not some other poor person? The Australian police seem very certain that this is the man who killed Samantha Murphy. Not that this guy killed somebody, but that this guy killed her.
They presumably have her DNA from her house.

I think,
and it is only my opinion,
ALLEGEDLY

that there is a witness
(or two),
who was/were in this car with the accused.

Somebody who,
through a lawyer,
became an informant/protected witness.
Or plural - witnesses.

Somebody who saw what happened, but was/were afraid to report to authorities
but, eventually, did so.

And this person doesn't know where the victim was finally concealed.

I guess this tragedy happened during returning home by car - with his mates/OR girlfriend.

A crown witness???

Or the accused blurted the truth to somebody who informed Police.

Besides,
If his phone pinged in the area where Samantha allegedly collapsed -
then, IMO, the crime could not have been premeditated.

Allegedly!!!!!!

JMO
PS family are hiding somewhere and are totally silent. Are they the ‘crown witnesses’ perhaps?

Hmmm....

I wonder if the trial will be held in Melbourne.

Ummm...
Some of you might become members of the Jury :oops:

Just saying...:rolleyes:

Hmmm....

I wonder if the trial will be held in Melbourne.

Ummm...
Some of you might become members of the Jury :oops:

Just saying...:rolleyes:
It is possible it could be held in Melbourne, but it is not likely, in my opinion. Most likely , it will be held in Ballarat. For these reasons..

It is the community where the crime took place, it is where he comes from, and it is where his victim comes from. It is a Ballarat community matter , and, the accused is entitled to a jury of his peers, from his neighborhood, so to speak. Her family are entitled to a court near home, to lessen travel stress. His family, also, is entitled to the same consideration.

Ballarat is on the circuit of the Supreme Court, it is a regional city, it's not a little town, Supreme court cases have been held there before, it's not a new thing to Ballarat. In fact, Ballarat has a magnificent court house, from memory. I hope it has not been pulled down and some concrete ghastliness put up.

The problem lies in jury selection. However, juries are properly instructed and any difficulties winnowed out. And the selection pool would encompass the entire Shire of Ballarat, quite a large area. There would not be many of his peers available for jury duty, not many 22 yr old men put themselves down for jury duty, not many are ratepayers, at that age, so it would not be exactly 'of his peers'..

Any juror on that trial would already know they are up for jury duty this year, or early next year. Everyone is sent a letter, first to tell you that you are on the list, then to ask you if you can do it, or do you have commitments that make it difficult. This is sent way way early, so no one is wondering for long about jury duty.

I would think he would not be transported up the Ballarat and back to Melbourne every day. It would be done by video, but maybe that might be the way it goes, .. I would be surprised by that, though.

It is possible it could be held in Melbourne, but it is not likely, in my opinion. Most likely , it will be held in Ballarat. For these reasons..

It is the community where the crime took place, it is where he comes from, and it is where his victim comes from. It is a Ballarat community matter , and, the accused is entitled to a jury of his peers, from his neighborhood, so to speak. Her family are entitled to a court near home, to lessen travel stress. His family, also, is entitled to the same consideration.

Ballarat is on the circuit of the Supreme Court, it is a regional city, it's not a little town, Supreme court cases have been held there before, it's not a new thing to Ballarat. In fact, Ballarat has a magnificent court house, from memory. I hope it has not been pulled down and some concrete ghastliness put up.

The problem lies in jury selection. However, juries are properly instructed and any difficulties winnowed out. And the selection pool would encompass the entire Shire of Ballarat, quite a large area. There would not be many of his peers available for jury duty, not many 22 yr old men put themselves down for jury duty, not many are ratepayers, at that age, so it would not be exactly 'of his peers'..

Any juror on that trial would already know they are up for jury duty this year, or early next year. Everyone is sent a letter, first to tell you that you are on the list, then to ask you if you can do it, or do you have commitments that make it difficult. This is sent way way early, so no one is wondering for long about jury duty.

I would think he would not be transported up the Ballarat and back to Melbourne every day. It would be done by video, but maybe that might be the way it goes, .. I would be surprised by that, though.

But he is already held in Melbourne jail, no?

And yes,
I was thinking of unbiased Jury.

This is true of course, but what is quite unusual in this case is that a suspect has been arrested and charged with murder, with Police making quite firm statements that they know (a) the victim is dead and (b) that it was a deliberate killing; but there is no information at all about a basic theory of the case.

That is pretty rare I think - normally there would be, either through police making information public or from the known facts, some outline understanding on the part of the press/public as to the nature and basis of the charge - motive/relationship, forensic/electronic evidence, discovery of body etc.

Whereas here - unless the Police have gone totally nuts - it is apparent that they must have some absolutely crucial evidence, the nature of which is not known at all. Which is going to prompt curiosity!
It is so unusual , Eric, that I cannot recall VICPOL making such sort of statement before. . I don't think they have gone nuts, either, if they have, what an unfortunate time to do it .

They must have information ( in whatever form it takes ) to clearly indentify Mrs. Murphy as the victim, and Mr. Stephensen as the perpetrator. And no one else. Not the tiniest bit of capacity to misinterpret this information that they have must exist. To claim someone is dead without seeing, or actually even finding the body is one huge leap of faith, unless there is that kind of information that leads to no other possible conclusion.

I am not sure that unusual actually covers it adequately.

Run the Tan for Sam is a community running event to honour Samantha Murphy to be held at the Tan running track in Melbourne.

The event will be held on Sunday the 14th of March at 7am at the Tan.

But he is already held in Melbourne jail, no?

And yes,
I was thinking of unbiased Jury.
He is in the Remand center in Melbourne.. He is not in jail, per se, so. No. He is not in jail in Melbourne.. ...this is where every one is held awaiting trial, depending on the kind of crime committed. If your crime means you have to be incarcerated until trial, ( that is, no bail has been granted) this is where you wait until trial date is settled.

People from Mildura, or Wangaratta , from Bairnsdale, from Echuca, would be there, as well.

It is the central holding place for Victoria. It does not mean that is where your trial will be held. Your trial will be held where the crime took place, in your community, usually. Or in the regional city close to where you live.

Last edited:
We still know nothing about:

- was the accused coming home from the bender in his car at this time? (7/7.30 a.m.)

- if yes,
was he coming alone?
Or was he coming with friends?
Or was he coming home with his girlfriend?

- was the accused jogging/running alone
(after previously coming home)
in the area still too hyped up after the bender?

The Saturday "bender" was reported in MSM,
and I think it was allegedly the decisive factor in this tragedy.

If he was with mates, well, they could allegedly be prime witnesses.

All speculation, of course.

JMO
i read he attended an 80th party before heading out and left his car at that address so he was possibly picked up by friends or uber etc, im thinking he might have been in that location to collect his car, either alone or with friends?

Can anyone imagine what would/could possibly motivate a 22 year old to potentially kill an innocent woman in front of witnesses?

Surely such a deliberate attack, committed knowingly in front of witnesses, would be extraordinarily unlikely?

Unless PS may have been trying to prove something… to someone…?
thrills, laughs, showing off, drunken aggression, pack mentality or like you say, something to prove?

PS family are hiding somewhere and are totally silent. Are they the ‘crown witnesses’ perhaps?
To be fair, if my kid had been accused of something so horrific, and the police were talking so assuredly about their guilt, maybe I'd lie low too, if for no other reason than to avoid being accosted on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrayZee