Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe during the week due to work SM runs 10km but maybe does extra distance on the weekends when she has more time. IMO

At the end of the press conference a journalist asks if the CCTV only had SM in her driveway or does it show her leaving the premises and they confirm it does show her leaving the premises. MOO

So the homicide squad are not involved just missing person? Wonder why? MOO

The VicPol site says that Missing Persons investigate suspicious disappearances.

Victoria Police Missing Persons Squad investigate missing persons who have disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

The squad responds where:
  • the body of a deceased person has not been located
  • there are unidentified human remains (for more than three days) in a suspected homicide
  • the case is long-term (more than 30 days).
To join the squad, you must be a qualified detective and have experience in another detective role.

Great summary! Thank you!

The last point is interesting.
I should say that my summary was just the one copied from the ABC site. In any event it is interesting but it makes sense as the Police have said from their viewpoint, they're not investigating anything related to suspicious circumstances at this stage. Whatever it is, it's not looking good around six days in. I hope she is found alive. JMO

I should say that my summary was just the one copied from the ABC site. In any event it is interesting but it makes sense as the Police have said from their viewpoint, they're not investigating anything related to suspicious circumstances at this stage. Whatever it is, it's not looking good around six days in. I hope she is found alive. JMO
Weird that police on the one hand say there aren’t suspicious circumstances around SM’s disappearance yet, as South Aussie noted above, according to Vic Police’s website, the missing persons unit is called in when a person goes missing under suspicious circumstances. Seems a bit contradictory!

Weird that police on the one hand say there aren’t suspicious circumstances around SM’s disappearance yet, as South Aussie noted above, according to Vic Police’s website, the missing persons unit is called in when a person goes missing under suspicious circumstances. Seems a bit contradictory!
It's interesting because the ABC article has this to say:
"Detective Acting Superintendent Mark Hatt said he wanted to make clear that as of Friday morning police had "nothing immediate to indicate there is anything sinister behind Samantha's disappearance".

"We haven't received any information relating to her movements from the moment she left [her] home address on Sunday morning," Detective Hatt said." - More detectives, resources join search for Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy
I think the key word here is immediate. Could very well find some suspicious evidence later down the track, but at this stage the police are saying there's nothing suspicious or 'sinister' about Samantha's disappearance just yet. It's quite strange.

I feel horrible that I am still suspicious of the husband. I watched the Baden-Clay case so closely, and read the book twice - there are so many things that are similar, and the husbands response during the media conference yesterday was ringing alarm bells - also the fact that he's "staying at home" instead of out helping to search - which is what GB-C did.
Isn't it terrible that that's how a lot of us think now thanks to the history of these things?
IMO - I agree, unfortunately. I spoke with my partner of 22 years last night about this & asked him if he’d look for me if I was missing. He responded that there’s no way anybody would be able to stop him searching for me, even if he killed me himself, he’d still be out there looking!!

Jogger, Sissy Austin, who was brutally attacked in Lal Lal State Forest, near Ballarat, last year, revealed the vulnerability of female members of the search party to harassment by “unruly men.”

Ms Austin, 29, stated: “It’s hard. There’s been a few unruly men out in the forest.”

She disclosed to The Project that just the previous day, two men were reported to the police for allegedly harassing female searchers, necessitating one woman to seek refuge in her car.

Consequently, the search party has a heightened sense of vigilance, with a strong emphasis on pairing up for safety.
That is True Bearbear , I been taking up walking on Doctor advice, many people now walk in pairs for safety. There has been a lot of breaking in car and arson (Shop was torched in Ballarat this week) etc.
Was talking to my elderly neighbours ( when I was collecting the mail) they said something of interest , I did look it up but police in newspapers on line said they were not connected . They ,neighbours said always wonder when the culprit would strike again/ they left and come back to Ballarat.
I know there are people connecting this case to other past family murders in Victoria, after what my Neighbours said I thought to bring up this information, which even stunned me.
There are three unsolved Murders which accured in or close to Ballarat within a eight year span in late 1990's.
Although nearly two decades old, but when you look at the crimes of Serial Murders, some times they are connect even if the crimes were years apart . IMO.
September 1991
Nina Nicholson,22 year old nurse worked at Children's Ward at St Johns Of God Hospital, Ballarat murdered on her veranda on her house in Clunes, small Historical Mining town 25 minutes from Ballarat, last seen 8pm after Dinner at Parents home she walked home which was around the corner to change and drive her car to work as she had nightshift at 9.30pm ,Husband was away so Parents were contacted at 9.40pm that Nina Nicholson did not arrive for her shift they went to her house where they found her, it was reported the attack was not sexual but injuries were violent.

23rd November 1998
Tracy Howard left a now defunted Nightclub Cheers in 122 Lydiard Street North Ballarat , next to Reid Guest House not far from Ballarat Station, It was a last minute decision to go out with her girlfriend over 30 nightspot. Her body was found 37 hours later, on Clarkes Hill Road Pootilla, her partner, who stayed home thought she had stayed at her Girlfriend house hence the delay in reporting her missing. There was no sexual assault, but the killer made no effect to hide the body all her clothes were scattered around where she was found.
June 1999,
Belinda William disappeared in 25th June 1999 from her home in Elizabeth Street in Buninyong , she was last seen by friends hosting a party, they left at 9.30pm. At 10pm she tried to contact her ex partner. Her daughter, then six years old remembers her Mum lying on the bed next to her as her Mother promised earlier that night as she was scared. Next morning her daughter found her Mother missing. None thing had been touched car still in drive way. Little girl call her Dad (although they had part ways ,they were on good terms) he contact family, they searched for to hours before Police were contact. Massive search was done of the Bushlands and old Mines in the area was done Eleven days later couple of local bushwalkers found her at Mt Buninyong Access Road ,off the side of road what caught their eye was a black t shirt placed on a bush, they had walk this area quite as few times even the day before there had been no t shirt on bush, so they went to investigate where Ms William was found in her nightshirt there was no effort to hide the body.
There is more searching going on for Samantha Murphy I hope there some news soon

If there are any red flags prior to Samantha's disappearance, the electronic footprint they left will be found by Police now that they are looking at laptops and mobile phones etc.

If there has been foul play I don't think Mick is involved.

He comes across to me as a decent good bloke.

I was looking at that last night. About an hour if she was running, about 2 hours if she was walking. Somewhere in between, if she did a combo of running and walking.

I am a little puzzled why Samantha would (reportedly) not have taken any water with her, if she was intending to run/walk a 20km round-trip route.

imo
How odd. It's hard to imagine a runner not taking water along, particularly given the hot weather. Maybe she knew of various spots with taps providing water - unlikely for a bush run/walk though.
I wonder whether maybe there's been some misunderstanding about how far she was planning to run.

Early on, there was mention made that Samantha ran 20 kilometres every day - a half-marathon in effect. IMO that is highly unlikely for several reasons - including damage to joints - not giving the body the opportunity to recover. Professional long-distance runners would do so, but IMO that is not something which amateur runners would do every day - walking maybe, but that could take 4-5 hours.
If she was running that far daily, that may raise other questions. MOO

It's been reported that SES searchers have encountered several snakes during the search. IMO snakebite is possible, although in that case I imagine she would have been found before now. JMO

In the Vic High Country near Mt Buller a few years back a bloke left their accommodation and committed suicide by hanging off a tree. Rope broke and body ended up covered by leaves branches etc. searchers had gone over the area a couple of times and body was discovered on the third pass only a few metres from a track quite a few days later. Point I’m trying to make is she may well have stumbled and fatally injured herself or suffered a Snake bite and fell off track somewhere or something more sinister and is only a few meters off a track but has been missed. If I was ses I’d be going over the ground again. Just my humble opinion.

Thank you to the person who posted about other unsolved homicides in the Ballarat area. Curious, if the radius was extended by another 25 to 50km if there is more. I was wondering about it, but then didn't want to say anything- so thank you!
(As an aside, there's many odd ones too around Byron and when one mentions it, I get laughed at for suggesting SK)
I watched the husband's commentary several times. He only said his wife's name twice. I found that odd, the food comment, and felt that he was very disinterested/ disassociated from it all. It's like he walked into a parent teacher conference, patted his daughter on the back, and stepped back. I also listened for any referral to her in the past tense, he didn't say anything, but his commentary was pretty short.

Thank you to the person who posted about other unsolved homicides in the Ballarat area. Curious, if the radius was extended by another 25 to 50km if there is more. I was wondering about it, but then didn't want to say anything- so thank you!
(As an aside, there's many odd ones too around Byron and when one mentions it, I get laughed at for suggesting SK)
I watched the husband's commentary several times. He only said his wife's name twice. I found that odd, the food comment, and felt that he was very disinterested/ disassociated from it all. It's like he walked into a parent teacher conference, patted his daughter on the back, and stepped back. I also listened for any referral to her in the past tense, he didn't say anything, but his commentary was pretty short.
Shock and trauma can do that to someone. I wouldn't slap the cuffs on him just because of a flat affect and dissociation.

MOO

Day 6 of missing. Highly likely she is deceased sadly. I suggest get the family in for an indepth interview. Imo she never went for a run at the suggested time and the image of her and the dog poo was taken after her return. Perhaps there has been some conflict over her attending the brunch and bingo something has happened. Apple watch removed. Phone ping is as a result of phone being turned on during disposal of body. Phone then turned off and disposed of with body into mineshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper