Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Samantha's phone still leaves unanswered questions about how and when it got there. Seems strange for the accused to stop on his way in such an open area just to dispose of the phone.

Did Samantha really take her phone with her on the run? Or just her watch?
The police should have done a tower dump from Buninyong tower to locate all devices within pinging distance and entering / leaving of the dam location on the morning/afternoon of Samantha's disappearance.

What is interesting Is the owner of one of these phone pings traced, belong to the accused ? And any other close contacts?

Maybe Samantha's phone was never fully submerged in water ? But recently, or just ended up on the side of the bank.
There was no effort to throw out her credit cards, licence etc and the phone was undamaged and in near-perfect working condition

Last edited by a moderator:
Samantha's phone still leaves unanswered questions about how and when it got there. Seems strange for the accused to stop on his way in such an open area just to dispose of the phone.

Did Samantha really take her phone with her on the run? Or just her watch?
The police should have done a tower dump from Buninyong tower to locate all devices within pinging distance and entering / leaving of the dam location on the morning/afternoon of Samantha's disappearance.

What is interesting Is the owner of one of these phone pings traced, belong to the accused ? And any other close contacts?

Maybe Samantha's phone was never fully submerged in water ? But recently, or just ended up on the side of the bank.
There was no effort to throw out her credit cards, licence etc and the phone was undamaged and in near-perfect working condition
She had a phone with her as they tracked it to Mr Clear on her run. Apparently it pinged in the afternoon at 5 pm as well. If it was dumped that day on the side of the bank then it would of been discovered.

We don't know when it was dumped. But it would have been picked up much earlier if it was above water. There were pictures of the police discovering it once the dam level went down. I will show you in the next post the alternative explanation.

The police did do a tower dump, but apparently most of the towers in Ballarat were down the day she disappeared!

I actually favour this method btw.

She had a phone with her as they tracked it to Mr Clear on her run. Apparently it pinged in the afternoon at 5 pm as well. If it was dumped that day on the side of the bank then it would of been discovered.

We don't know when it was dumped. But it would have been picked up much earlier if it was above water. There were pictures of the police discovering it once the dam level went down. I will show you in the next post the alternative explanation.

The police did do a tower dump, but apparently most of the towers in Ballarat were down the day she disappeared!

I actually favour this method btw.

It was the digital data which allowed detectives to track Samantha arriving at Mount Clear which can be made from her Apple smartwatch.

But If she had a cellular Apple Watch there would have been no need for her to take her phone.

This requires either her phone, with or without a Sim card, to be active OR a cellular-connected Apple Watch.
Police have been very quiet on exact descriptions details of what Samantha had

But we still don't know if the phone had been on the bank for a while or had only recently being placed there ?

And we know the towers were working, because the police allege her phone / watch pinged Mt Clear at 8am

Last edited:
It just comes down to personal preference as to whether to carry a phone or not (while wearing a watch).
Perhaps Samantha preferred the larger phone screen over her watch for messaging? She was over 50 so may have had some deterioration in her vision.
Or preferred the phone's audio quality? Or preferred the phones functionality over the watch. Could be a number of reasons as to why she'd carry both.

I don't think there's any question that she had her phone on her IMO.

"Acting Inspector MacDougall said data received from Ms Murphy’s phone, which she had been carrying at the time, pinged near the golf course".

It just comes down to personal preference as to whether to carry a phone or not (while wearing a watch).
Perhaps Samantha preferred the larger phone screen over her watch for messaging? She was over 50 so may have had some deterioration in her vision.
Or preferred the phone's audio quality? Or preferred the phones functionality over the watch. Could be a number of reasons as to why she'd carry both.

I don't think there's any question that she had her phone on her IMO.

"Acting Inspector MacDougall said data received from Ms Murphy’s phone, which she had been carrying at the time, pinged near the golf course".
She may also have liked to have the phone with her to take photos / videos.

Last edited:
Mobile phones can be detected when turned off.

My previous post was removed I therefore am going to repost.

The purpose of the post is determine how the phone was found and whether it was detected while on or while off. There is debate whether a phone is detectable when turned off.

We know that SM phone was found at the edge of a dam after water levels had dropped south at Buninyong. It was reported that the phone was detected 5 km south of a cell tower. We just don't know how or exactly when.

I am going to show you that late model iPhones can be detected even when turned off. All it requires is another iPhone to pass within range of the phone. The U1 chip is found in iPhones since the 11 model. There are two chips that enable this. U1 and U2. The U2 chip is newer and found in later models.

There is an article below published by lifehacker Australia that contains information on the U1 chip.
How to Find Your Lost iPhone, Even If It's Turned Off

I will quote from this article of lifehacker;

How does offline iPhone tracking work?

Apple will now use its low-power U1 chip to continue tracking the location of an iPhone even after it’s switched off. This feature is enabled by default once you install iOS 15 on a compatible iPhone (every iPhone after iPhone 11, including the latest iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro).

When the iPhone is turned off, Apple continues to run its Low Energy Bluetooth chip via a custom secure applet. The rest of the device is completely switched off (including the always-on processor that’s used for background tasks like “Hey Siri” requests).

The other part of the equation has to do with Apple’s Ultra Wide Band U1 chip. Just like with the AirTags, your iPhone will keep on sending cryptographically secure beacons out to other Apple devices. And when someone passes near your switched-off iPhone, it will pick up those beacons, and will relay that information securely using the Find My network.

Essentially with the newer U2 Chip, the range is even better and has been tested to over 60m. This is found in the latest iPhones and is discussed in 9to5mac.

iPhone 15 can locate your friends up to 60 meters away with Precision Finding [Video] - 9to5Mac

We don't know exactly which phone Samantha had. So long as she had an iPhone newer than iPhone 11 her phone was detectable when turned off.

This is how I think they found SM phone. They simply detected it when it was out of the water when another iphone passed within 60m of her phone. It could of been someone travelling along the road, the adjacent driveway or even police searching a previously detected signal. I will illustrate where the phone was found and a 60 m radius. If others think this is the incorrect dam, I will be happy to edit with another image.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 10.31.50 AM.jpeg

The phone had to be detected when it was out of the water. If it was disposed of the day she disappeared, and thrown in the dam an explanation as how its detection is even possible. In the next post I will show you how that could have happened and indeed may have involved some luck.

There is more to this, possibilities..

The only one image released of Sam 'supposedly' on the Sunday of her run.

But it's a police issued photo, which might not have been taken of her on the day. Strange, If it's a recent photo from their security camera, why there is not a date and time to show
Two different comments, not sure if she had her watch on ?
The other one says it was taken before she went for her run ?

I don't think this was a photo of Samantha before she ran. Where's her running shoes ? I don't think she is about to run. But a photo the police just want to use. Just that one

1725427539958.png1725427917047.png

Last edited:
There is more to this, possibilities..

The only one image released of Sam 'supposedly' on the Sunday of her run.

But it's a police issued photo, which might not have been taken of her on the day. Strange, If it's a recent photo from their security camera, why there is not a date and time to show
Two different comments, not sure if she had her watch on ?
The other one says it was taken before she went for her run ?

I don't think this was a photo of Samantha before she ran. Where's her running shoes ? I don't think she is about to run. But a photo the police just want to use. Just that one

View attachment 528910View attachment 528911

They also released another photo

1725432705136.jpeg

Clearly states for searchers to be on the lookout for phone, watch & earpods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back