Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it just me or is Moya O’Brien’s look part of the defence strategy?

Paul Galbally would have looked around the office for a kind looking woman to defend this young man, it's all in the optics.. When it comes to trial, she'll be patting his back, and giving him fond looks, as if he's a cute little bear, 'look, I'm a woman and I'm not scared of little bitty him, roll over, boy', this sort of projection.

Moya's reputation is impeccable, a long term instigator of some cases that involved women's rights, etc, long experience at the Bar, he is in good hands, as far as representation goes. She has 2 Galbally brothers back in Chambers overseeing stuff.

As an aside, should the defence be anything in the realm of mental health, often, and more and more these days, the judge makes the doctors get on the stand and explain their position, which means the prosecutor can have a dr explain how he is quite able to distinguish right from wrong, etc. Mental health defence does not mean everyone packs up and goes home, it is the beginning of a long argument , in which a jury decides if he is affected, not doctors, not the judge.

Maybe the lawyers didn't stop and talk to the media because the media is not their friend.

Also it's not compulsory to tell the press anything about the case and how you're going to handle it.
And the traffic lights up there in Burke and WIlliam are short on seconds, everyone rushes out and across the road, it's totally normal., People have to get back to Chambers to attend to business, barristers work on $500 a minute, the press do not pay their wages.

Indulgence, please! I have spent today catching up and have covered appriox 2000 posts, word for word - and have now resorted to picking at the most likely. I still haven't found anything to suggest why the police had PS under surveillance for weeks before his arrest or definitively why they are saying the killing was deliberate. Could anyone please put me out of my misery? Or has neither information still been given?
Here are my thoughts thinker47 - all entirely speculative. (Vicpol have been very tightlipped about as to what garnered their interest in the accused, and AFAIK have not released any information regarding this aspect of the investigation.)

My guess is that Vicpol obtained data relating to mobile phone pings in the area within the relevant time-frame of Samantha's run (and possibly before and after also.) IF the accused had his phone with him, he'd be on the radar immediately. Vicpol may also have received a tipoff(s).

In a Vicpol presser March 7 2024, ChiefCommissioner Shane Patton revealed that Patrick Stephenson had been arrested for the murder of Samantha. He noted that it occurred on the day of Samantha's run, at Mt Clear, and it was a deliberate act.
IMO there must have been definitive proof of the murder - ie much more conclusive than an eye-witness account (although they may also have an eye-witness account.

Apart from the visible (and probably known to the accused) CCTV cameras on buildings and poles, IMO there would certainly be other CCTVs in the area, of which the accused may not be aware. South Aussie mentioned the possibility of Eyefi bushfire monitoring cameras, and IMO it's possible there were also portable hidden cameras (possibly camouflaged) for fauna research purposes in the vicinity.

IMO Vicpol may also have CCTV footage from inside buildings on that day. (It was a very hot day, and IMO if the accused didn't immediately dispose of Samantha's remains, it's possible that he left her remains, possibly in a car in an airconditioned environment to which he had access, until he had an opportunity to dispose of the remains.
The accused was employed by his father who operated an electrical and telecommunications business.
Vicpol IMO has CCTV evidence which may include footage from the business' workshop. JMO

If as this article says, he is only allowed out for 1 hour of exercise a day, maybe his bulk is more to do with overeating and doing nothing for 23 hours. I can't see that just doing weights for one hour a day would give him this look. MOO
I agree. Like I said, he's packed on the pounds, fat in the face although it's just an artists depiction.

Hey, here's a thought. Maybe this is just what he looks like with out drug use in his life.

Last edited:
So it's no longer bread and cheese in prison :)
The accused is on remand so probably being catered for, but a quick look online and one of Victoria's prisons has inmates cooking for themselves... Lamb roast you say???

I think it would be required. It might show preparation, positioning, even practising certain moves, all grist the mill of premeditation and deliberation. I am all for the extensive part of the program, VICPOL would regard every frame as a precursor to the murder of a woman on a sunny Sunday morning in the AU bush.

Every. Darn. Frame.
I wonder if Bunnings footage will make an appearance?

I also wonder how much footage of prior activities and actions will be allowed, to create a possible picture of a disturbed, egotistical young male who thinks he's invincible and above the law perhaps? Anyone know if he's followed, commented, liked etc anything from Andrew Tate?

The accused is on remand so probably being catered for, but a quick look online and one of Victoria's prisons has inmates cooking for themselves... Lamb roast you say???

Gasp!!

Being on remand, one is neither one thing nor the other, neither convicted, yet not exactly unconvicted. It's a limbo status, and while some people on remand are allowed out for some hours per day, to work, or to school, most are not, and certainly not those on remand for murder.

From friends of mine who have at times been on remand, a lot of talking goes on, and a lot of jockeying for status, and pecking order, mainly out of boredom, but always , most remandees know very well the good times in remand have a finite date and the real business of custodial living begins. Always there is the imminent future on the horizon of real prison, where the memory of roast lamb fades very quickly.

Here are my thoughts thinker47 - all entirely speculative. (Vicpol have been very tightlipped about as to what garnered their interest in the accused, and AFAIK have not released any information regarding this aspect of the investigation.)

My guess is that Vicpol obtained data relating to mobile phone pings in the area within the relevant time-frame of Samantha's run (and possibly before and after also.) IF the accused had his phone with him, he'd be on the radar immediately. Vicpol may also have received a tipoff(s).

In a Vicpol presser March 7 2024, ChiefCommissioner Shane Patton revealed that Patrick Stephenson had been arrested for the murder of Samantha. He noted that it occurred on the day of Samantha's run, at Mt Clear, and it was a deliberate act.
IMO there must have been definitive proof of the murder - ie much more conclusive than an eye-witness account (although they may also have an eye-witness account.

Apart from the visible (and probably known to the accused) CCTV cameras on buildings and poles, IMO there would certainly be other CCTVs in the area, of which the accused may not be aware. South Aussie mentioned the possibility of Eyefi bushfire monitoring cameras, and IMO it's possible there were also portable hidden cameras (possibly camouflaged) for fauna research purposes in the vicinity.

IMO Vicpol may also have CCTV footage from inside buildings on that day. (It was a very hot day, and IMO if the accused didn't immediately dispose of Samantha's remains, it's possible that he left her remains, possibly in a car in an airconditioned environment to which he had access, until he had an opportunity to dispose of the remains.
The accused was employed by his father who operated an electrical and telecommunications business.
Vicpol IMO has CCTV evidence which may include footage from the business' workshop. JMO
Going all the way back to that press conference from March 7th, I'm thinking that PS confessed to the killing, even the when and the how, despite refusing to say where he had left SM. I may be way off beam but the officer was SO definite in his statement of when and where, so definite in his denial that a hit and run was being considered and so firm in his repetition that it was a deliberate act of murder that only eye witness or CCTV would have given them such clarity otherwise. And had it been eye witness or CCTV that led them to PS in the first place, surely they wouldn't have waited so long to pick him up while watching him under suspicion?

JMO and cogitations, as always. Welcome to tell me just how wrong I am.

Going all the way back to that press conference from March 7th, I'm thinking that PS confessed to the killing, even the when and the how, despite refusing to say where he had left SM. I may be way off beam but the officer was SO definite in his statement of when and where, so definite in his denial that a hit and run was being considered and so firm in his repetition that it was a deliberate act of murder that only eye witness or CCTV would have given them such clarity otherwise. And had it been eye witness or CCTV that led them to PS in the first place, surely they wouldn't have waited so long to pick him up while watching him under suspicion?

I like your thinking outside of the square there, though I'm not sure I see it that way. But nobody is wrong yet, at least until we find out what did actually happen.

The police person wasn't going to express reservations at that point. Don't go by the confidence he expressed. Go by the fact of the charge of murder; the DPP must have thought there was a fair or better chance of convincing a jury beyond reasonable doubt. So, most likely there's good evidence of murder by the accused.

Hard to resist such an invitation. :cool: Commander Patten was unequivocal in his statement that Stephenson had refused to speak to police, on any matter. He repeated this a few times in updates, that nothing had changed in that regard, no speaking, at all. While I am not discounting the idea of perhaps a confession in sign language, Patten , I am sure , would have categorised that as communication. But he was adamant. No communication came from Stephenson.. .

As to the waiting to pick him up, it is possible that VICPOL hoped he would return to where he had the body. This is not a useless hope, many killers do exactly that, shift it around, remove it to a new site, etc, it seems a rational thing to do, do you think? Also, perhaps they watched him to see who his peers were and what part they played, if any, in this crime, and since no one else has been arrested, maybe it's fair to say no one else was...... But at some point, a decision was made to pick him up, maybe he rang a travel agent, or booked a place far away, something like that, that provoked a sudden move by VICPOL to bring him in . ....

Last edited:

I tried to edit my post above,m but was too late, as the requisite 60 mins. in which to edit had already passed.

Anyway, I wanted to fix my typos, but more importantly, I wanted to add the following regarding my thought that the accused may have left Samantha's body at the business premises of his father for a while.

My last sentence should have read "Vicpol IMO may have CCTV footage from the business' workshop."

I also wanted to add that I am not suggesting that the accused's father had anything at all to do with the murder of Samantha.
(I really feel for all the accused's family members who IMO must be experiencing dreadful grief.)

JMO

I wanted to add the following regarding my thought that the accused may have left Samantha's body at the business premises of his father for a while.
Surely that would have been a huge risk to take? But I guess once you have killed somebody and you have a body to dispose of, anything you do involves huge risk.

Is there even a business premises? I was under the impression that they stored any electrical things needed at home. Just a small outfit (now possibly one-man).

The business address that I have seen online is the home address. Link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back