Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
apparantly ps was in court january 11 according to herald sun victoria supreme court lists, the page is paywalled so i cant access

It doesn't say anything, bear. All it says is Stephenson, Patrick (not even Stephenson, Patrick Orren) in a whole long list of 80 different names of who would be appearing in Ballarat Magistrates Court (NOT Supreme Court) that day - January 11, 2024.

None of the names have any detail about what their appearances were about. Nor their ages. Nor any other identifying information. Only their names in a big long list.

Some of the names are there 2 or 3 times, presumably for different charges/cases, the Stephenson name is there once - along with most of the other names that are there once only.

Last edited:
Just clarifying because I’m getting a little confused. There was mention earlier here of someone called PS with an active (?) SOCIT matter in Victoria. SOCIT being the sexual offences and child abuse investigation team.

Whatever this SOCIT thing is, irrespective of whether this person is one and the same or not, it wouldn’t get tied into existing traffic offences would it? It’d be separate right?
There is an ongoing case from September 2023 which we don't know is the same person. Similar name.
But this person, facing court appearance, had a Bond Hearing at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on January 11th 2024.

At the Bond Hearing the court would have had to assess whether the person was a flight risk, a risk of reoffending, a risk to the community when deciding to hand down a Bond rather than an incarceration
if it is him, after he was assessed and released just weeks before Samantha’s disappearance and alleged demise
It will be shocking and more pain for the loved ones

There is an ongoing case from September 2023 which we don't know is the same person. Similar name.
But this person, facing court appearance, had a Bond Hearing at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on January 11th 2024.

At the Bond Hearing the court would have had to assess whether the person was a flight risk, a risk of reoffending, a risk to the community when deciding to hand down a Bond rather than an incarceration
if it is him, after he was assessed and released just weeks before Samantha’s disappearance and alleged demise
It will be shocking and more pain for the loved ones

Probably not him then, if it was a bond hearing. Is there a link you can provide about the bond hearing?

Friday 8th March 2024 ..... BBM, UBM

"Stephenson has been remanded into custody and will next face court on 8 August. His lawyer, David Tamanika, on Thursday told the court that it was his client’s first time in custody."

Probably not him then, if it was a bond hearing. Is there a link you can provide about the bond hearing?

Friday 8th March 2024 ..... BBM, UBM

"Stephenson has been remanded into custody and will next face court on 8 August. His lawyer, David Tamanika, on Thursday told the court that it was his client’s first time in custody."

Let's just wait and see what happens...

But just because he has never been in custody does not mean he has never been heard before a court or never had charges filed against him, it simply means that, he’s never been 'held in custody'

If there is another Patrick Stephenson being hauled up before the beak in Ballarat, how unlucky is he?... He'd be wearing a sign that says ' I am not the other one' , all day, all night..... ( how worried would you be that the papers got muddled, and next thing, for a minor scrap with a traffic cop you are locked up in Remand , under close supervision. ..... ) That would make it 3 young blokes from Ballarat fighting it out for pole position in Remand... (2 Patricks and one Lachlan )

Let's just wait and see what happens...

But just because he has never been in custody does not mean he has never been heard before a court or never had charges filed against him, it simply means that, he’s never been 'held in custody'

That is why I asked for a link. I would like to read if it is about a good behaviour bond, or what exactly is meant by "bond hearing". I am guessing there is no link.

It doesn't say anything, bear. All it says is Stephenson, Patrick (not even Stephenson, Patrick Orren) in a whole long list of 80 different names of who would be appearing in Ballarat Magistrates Court (NOT Supreme Court) that day - January 11, 2024.

None of the names have any detail about what their appearances were about. Nor their ages. Nor any other identifying information. Only their names in a big long list.

Some of the names are there 2 or 3 times, presumably for different charges/cases, the Stephenson name is there once - along with most of the other names that are there once only.

thank you southaussie! ive been trying to find a non paywalled source to read!

That is why I asked for a link. I would like to read if it is about a good behaviour bond, or what exactly is meant by "bond hearing". I am guessing there is no link.

Look up the court records. No big surprises If it's true, sadly happens too much..!

I'm sure reporters have picked up on this, but they can't report on it when they themselves don't know 100% it is the same person who's been accused of Samantha Murphy's murder. Would be a legal nightmare.

Last edited:
Look up the court records. No big surprises If it's true, sadly happens too much..!

I'm sure reporters have picked up on this, but they can't report on it when they themselves don't know 100% it is the same person who's been accused of Samantha Murphy's murder. Would be a legal nightmare.
BBM: I's say it's got more to do with subjudice laws & keeping on discussing this may get the thread shut down IMO

What is sub judice contempt?
Sub judice is Latin for ‘under judgment’. From the time somebody is arrested, charged or a warrant is
issued, up to the moment when the court finishes dealing with it, the case is said to be sub judice.

While a case is sub judice, you are strictly limited as to what you can report. Sub judice contempt
means that while a case is before the courts or proceedings are pending, there are dangers for the
media if reports reveal prejudicial material.
Prejudice can simply be interpreted as strongly supporting the case one way or another.

If we don't know 100% that this is even the same person, why is it being discussed at all??

BBM: I's say it's got more to do with subjudice laws & keeping on discussing this may get the thread shut down IMO

Sub judice is Latin for ‘under judgment’. From the time somebody is arrested, charged or a warrant is
issued, up to the moment when the court finishes dealing with it, the case is said to be sub judice.

While a case is sub judice, you are strictly limited as to what you can report. Sub judice contempt
means that while a case is before the courts or proceedings are pending, there are dangers for the
Prejudice can simply be interpreted as strongly supporting the case one way or another.

If we don't know 100% that this is even the same person, why is it being discussed at all??

Maybe you should read what you have put down. The accused person's name is not mentioned, and there has been no publishing evidence.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back