Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I read this link. I wonder why she doesn't mention how many women have been attacked and harassed (but not killed) when walking/running alone, and that can be a big contributor in why women are killed by strangers in lesser amounts than men. Because we tend to avoid those situations.

Eg: We make sure that our friends have opened their front door and safely stepped inside, before we drive off and leave them. We don't leave our friends alone at the pub. We go to many places together for company and safety in numbers.
We do this because we know we are (very unfortunately) vulnerable to attack.

imo

I read this link. I wonder why she doesn't mention how many women have been attacked and harassed (but not killed) when walking/running alone, and that can be a big contributor in why women are killed by strangers in lesser amounts than men. Because we tend to avoid those situations.

Eg: We make sure that our friends have opened their front door and safely stepped inside, before we drive off and leave them. We don't leave our friends alone at the pub. We go to many places together for company and safety in numbers.
We do this because we know we are (very unfortunately) vulnerable to attack.

imo
Well I don't know why she didn't SouthAussie. I'm pretty sure she didn't make up her analysis, and I didn't post it for fun.

There are many expert opinions which can be found regarding the likelihood or otherwise of one being murdered by a stranger as opposed to someone known to them. Everything which I have found so far says the same thing - it is far more likely that someone will be murdered by someone known to them than a stranger. There may be others which disagree, but to date I have not found any. Hence I provided this one as as it provided both a forensic, and a psychological analysis.

I do not intend to comment further.

Last edited:
I don’t. He’s a big, strong guy who could carry her easily. It could’ve been all over in minutes. It may have even happened in his car hence the possible lack of much evidence on the ground in the bush. They arrested him and then charged him the next day. Was there (for example) enough blood in his car to indicate loss of life?

The HS reported that it had been suggested that some CCTV put PS on the police radar.

But I can see that, if PS sustained fingernail scratches from physically attacking Sam, his girlfriend may have been suspicious. Especially if he didn't come home that night/morning. And something like fingernail scratches may have led the police to believe that he deliberately attacked Sam.
If the police privately interviewed her, after seeing that CCTV, she may have revealed her suspicions.

imo

View attachment 524682
Your post reminded me of how Greg Lynn and his wife watched the UI show and his wife commented that the vehicle in it looked like Lynn’s (which it was). The police later commented that releasing an image of Lynn’s car was strategic and Lynn reacted by altering the vehicle. Was VicPol messaging PS’ network when they made the statement about looking out for a damaged vehicle? Did surveillance then catch PS reacting like Lynn did?

You don't need to pick up a body to move it. If you have the body on its back and insert your arms underneath the shoulders you can pull the body along with the body's heals dragging. It isn't easy but it is much easier than picking them up and carrying them.

That's how Sarah Macdiarmid's body was moved from her car in the car park to the bushes. The police could see the drag marks in the grass caused by her heels.

Well I don't know why she didn't. I'm pretty sure she didn't make up her analysis, and I didn't post it for fun.

I do not intend to comment further.

No worries. I wasn't trying to be obtuse.

I just think there is a big gaping hole in her analysis. Especially when she says "why don't we worry about men being alone" (or words to that effect). That's when I thought that it is because there are too many incidents of women being attacked by strangers - even if they are not killed. So we have been taught by our parents and others to keep ourselves safe, watch out for each other.

So we have been taught by our parents and others to keep ourselves safe, watch out for each other.

Yep.
I remember being warned by my Mum when I was a girl.
And Dad got offended as
he was worried I would become a Men hater.
Hehehe
He needn't have worried hee hee
Memories, memories....

No worries. I wasn't trying to be obtuse.

I just think there is a big gaping hole in her analysis. Especially when she says "why don't we worry about men being alone" (or words to that effect). That's when I thought that it is because there are too many incidents of women being attacked by strangers - even if they are not killed. So we have been taught by our parents and others to keep ourselves safe, watch out for each other.
There are too many homicides period.

The analysis in the paper is pretty superficial- the year 2020 was a Covid year so stranger contact in cities, where most homicides occur, was dramatically reduced. She should have compared to a be Covid and Post Covid year. The surprising thing is the proportion of males vs females; >95% of homicide victims are men (In the USA)! My personal estimate would have been 20-30%.

Women all around must be behaving in ways that do not make them targets both inside and outside their homes.

Last edited:
I don’t. He’s a big, strong guy who could carry her easily. It could’ve been all over in minutes. It may have even happened in his car hence the possible lack of much evidence on the ground in the bush. They arrested him and then charged him the next day. Was there (for example) enough blood in his car to indicate loss of life?
His car wasn't searched until after he was charged. He's a tall, lanky kid to still get her most likely flopped from the ground up quickly into his vehicle, so he wasn't seen by anyone.
We don't know how far away his vehicle was, and if he didn't receive help

Last edited:
Exactly. The police could not possibly be certain of that. IMO that repeated comment from Vicpol was made for a strategic reason.

I am aware that Ballarat has a reasonably large regional population by Australian standards - 130,000.

Nevertheless, I'm not at all convinced that the accused and Samantha did not know each other. My experience having lived in large regional locations informs my opinion. The children of both the Murphy and Stephenson families attended private colleges, and accordingly are likely to have attended functions where these colleges paired up for various events. The children of both families were of similar ages. IMO at the very least, they would have known who those from the other family were. IMO they are likely to have moved in similar circles.

The families both owned and operated businesses in Ballarat, and had done for many years. Quite aside from school-related connections, I find it very difficult to believe that the senior Murphy and Stephenson family members did not know each other. The various business/community related organisations and associated functions would also, in all likelihood bring them into contact over the years.

Additionally Orren Stephenson, the accused's father, played Australian Rules Football for the Richmond Football Club

Samantha was known to be an avid Richmond fan. IMO that is possibly another reason whereby an additional contact between the families may have existed.

All MOO
In an area with 130,000 people it is absolutely possible they would not know or even recognise each other. Even considering my kids schools (600-1500 kids in each) there would be hundreds of kids I wouldn’t even recognise by face. Obviously plenty I would but probably more that I wouldn’t. Those kids share siblings, sporting teams, school and the local area with me/my kids but there is still plenty of room to have had minimal/no meaningful or memorable contact. That’s only 600-1500 kids- if we were to expand out to 130,000 the majority would be people I didn’t know/recognise. We would probably be connected by a degree or two of separation but I wouldn’t be able to pick them as “familiar” in a line up!

His car wasn't searched until after he was charged. He's a tall, lanky kid to still get her most likely flopped from the ground up quickly into his vehicle, so he wasn't seen by anyone.
We don't know how far away his vehicle was, and if he didn't receive help
OR. His car was searched between being arrested and being charged.
He’s something like 6’6 and muscular. He could carry her. He may have even got her in his car whilst still alive. She may never have been on the ground.
If his vehicle was near it could’ve been over quickly which makes sense given the location and risk of company. It always appeared to me that the scene looked clean.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee
Back