Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess there's no way Samantha was alive at the time the phone was chucked? Like, he lured her into his car, they went to the house on this property which he knew was vacant at the time (supposition), she realized she was in danger and pretended she didn't so as to get a chance to escape . . . then she was running away and trying to use her phone at the same time, he caught her before she got to the road and in a fury threw her phone where she couldn't reach it, into the dam.
But police are saying she was allegedly murdered @ Mount Clear

I guess there's no way Samantha was alive at the time the phone was chucked? Like, he lured her into his car, they went to the house on this property which he knew was vacant at the time (supposition), she realized she was in danger and pretended she didn't so as to get a chance to escape . . . then she was running away and trying to use her phone at the same time, he caught her before she got to the road and in a fury threw her phone where she couldn't reach it, into the dam.
But police are saying she was allegedly murdered @ Mount Clear
“Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said on Thursday police will allege Ms Murphy died on the day she disappeared in Mount Clear, where Stephenson's parents live, and about 6km away from where she lived with her family. It's also about 12km away from the accused's home in Scotsburn.”

Interesting that you can't do a google drive down parts of Yendon No 2 Road.....looks like a whole area has been blocked

1725768924092.jpeg

ABC and The Age articles say that Sam died at Mt Clear and/or was deliberately attacked at Mt Clear, and quote Shane Patton as being the one to say that.

On Thursday, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said police would allege Ms Murphy died in a "deliberate attack" in the Ballarat suburb of Mount Clear.
Samantha Murphy's accused killer Patrick Orren Stephenson named after suppression order ends

a.jpg
Son of ex-AFL player faces court charged with murdering Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy

There’s no mention of any locations beyond the local area or further afield yet.
The homes, the forest, the dam, the search areas, the roads mentioned (“east of Geelong Road”, “Skirkas Road etc) are all near PS’s home and part of his familiar stomping ground. Then there’s his car which wouldn’t really blend into any natural landscape.

Makes you suspect he didn’t have a lot of time or privacy, and needed to get home and resume “normal” asap due to his family, mates and/or girlfriend (who he was living with) wanting him.

What’s that weird building up on hill opposite his home on Yendon Road?

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
ABC and The Age articles say that Sam died at Mt Clear and/or was deliberately attacked at Mt Clear, and quote Shane Patton as being the one to say that.

On Thursday, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said police would allege Ms Murphy died in a "deliberate attack" in the Ballarat suburb of Mount Clear.
Samantha Murphy's accused killer Patrick Orren Stephenson named after suppression order ends

View attachment 529759
Son of ex-AFL player faces court charged with murdering Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy
Not knowing the evidence, I'm not sure I accept on police allegation that Samantha died at Mt Clear around 8am. I think there might be other interpretations of the evidence. But on the other hand, why would she take off her watch, or switch off her phone, to get in a car with a stranger pleading for help?

What’s that weird building up on hill opposite his home on Yendon Road?

Got it. It’s the ‘Sky Barrel on the edge of an extinct volcano’ accommodation.

It looks over PS’s home. Could’ve been a great stake-out joint during surveillance. Bet it’s got cctv too.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not knowing the evidence, I'm not sure I accept on police allegation that Samantha died at Mt Clear around 8am. I think there might be other interpretations of the evidence. But on the other hand, why would she take off her watch, or switch off her phone, to get in a car with a stranger pleading for help?

I think that we have speculated before that data from Sam's watch showed her heart rate/blood pressure/etc suddenly spike (during a sudden attack) and then all of them slowly ebb away (as she died).

IIRC a couple of other cases where this kind of evidence was shown were given as reference points, back in the thread.

I gave one South Australian case as a reference ... will try to find the link again and add it.

ETA link:
Ms Matteo said the data showed activity consistent with Myrna Nilsson being ambushed and attacked as she walked into her home just after 6:30pm.

She said it then showed activity and heart rate measurements consistent with her body going into shock and losing consciousness.
"The deceased must have been attacked at around 6:38pm and had certainly died by 6:45pm," she said.
Smartwatch data helped police make arrest in Adelaide murder case, court hears

Last edited:
I think that we have speculated before that data from Sam's watch showed her heart rate/blood pressure/etc suddenly spike (during a sudden attack) and then all of them slowly ebb away (as she died).

IIRC a couple of other cases where this kind of evidence was shown were given as reference points, back in the thread.

I gave one South Australian case as a reference ... will try to find the link again and add it.
Yes, we've talked about it, and I think I remember the case you mean. I wasn't sure about her guilt either, but I didn't follow it in detail.

“The location of the phone firms-up the police theory Ms Murphy's killer likely dumped it in the dam before heading into the Durham reserve to dispose of her body.”

“Missing Persons Unit detectives had been suspicious of the dam soon after taking charge of the investigation, questioning its owner just weeks later.”

“The owner of the dam suggested police had no specific information the phone had been discarded there. ‘'They started all the way down the other end of the road and worked their way up. As far as I know one of the sniffer dogs found it. A tech dog’.”

“The location is close to where Ms Murphy's phone last made contact with a nearby tower in the Buninyong region before going silent.”

The digital data allowed detectives to ascertain that on February 4, Murphy departed her residence and ran approximately 7km through Woowookarung Regional Park, ultimately arriving at Mount Clear.

Former Australia Federal Police officer and professor of cybersecurity, Nigel Phair told Liz Hayes on Channel 9's series Under Investigation with Liz Hayes he believes an "anomaly" or "change in the behaviour" of Murphy's data pattern may have prompted authorities to return to the Mount Clear area last Friday.

Phair explained that Murphy's iPhone and Apple Watch would monitor various biometric data such as heart rate, stride length, altitude and even detect falls, with both devices constantly logging her GPS coordinates.

"From the second that she walked out of her door, when out on the street, they would be able to see where she was moving and how she was moving," Phair said.

[snip]....... It strikes me that the phone wallet located by police at the dam, is quite bulky, and contained credit cards and licence. If she didn't actually need the phone on her run, and (I'm guessing) wasn't planning to make any purchases whilst on her run, why would she take it? If she took it with her, Samantha would either have to hold it in her hand, or secure it with an accessory such as an armband (to avoid it bouncing around in a pocket.)
I run in rural Australia when I visit my mother and take a phone and my smart watch - the iphone and cover fit in the pocket on the outside of my short running tights. I always have my phone in case I need an ambulance (or want to have a conversation with my kids enroute, take a photo, look at a map etc). I would never go out in country Australia without a phone, given the number of venomous snakes and possibility of a bite.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back