Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that we have speculated before that data from Sam's watch showed her heart rate/blood pressure/etc suddenly spike (during a sudden attack) and then all of them slowly ebb away (as she died).

IIRC a couple of other cases where this kind of evidence was shown were given as reference points, back in the thread.

I gave one South Australian case as a reference ... will try to find the link again and add it.

ETA link:
Ms Matteo said the data showed activity consistent with Myrna Nilsson being ambushed and attacked as she walked into her home just after 6:30pm.

She said it then showed activity and heart rate measurements consistent with her body going into shock and losing consciousness.
"The deceased must have been attacked at around 6:38pm and had certainly died by 6:45pm," she said.
Smartwatch data helped police make arrest in Adelaide murder case, court hears

I think we have to be careful with assumptions.

For instance with my garmin watch and iphone, some of the run data is syncing in realtime to my phone - particularly steps

However the activity data does not sync until i end the activity. So I can imagine a situation where the phone was switched off, and activity not ended - you might not get all the data synced to the phone and if you don't have the watch, then you never get that data.

tldr; it can be complicated

I did a lot of looking around to see if I could see what the maintenance was that day. I didn't find anything specifically for the 4th (probably because it was not going to disrupt services), but I did find that Telstra were doing significant upgrades in completing the 5G network in the Ballarat area around that time period.

Two weeks after Sam disappeared, they were going to have to interrupt services (Mon 17th/Tues 18th) - which is something they don't like to do - and had assured everyone they would get the services back up as quickly as possible.

It could be that there was prep work going on for that during quieter periods, like Sunday 4th Feb. If Sam's relative was correct.

Thanks I was more looking for a map with all the towers around Ballarat.

I found this Telstra 3G / 4G / 5G coverage in Ballarat, Australia - nPerf.com but don't know where the towers are & I may just be to stupid to work it out!

I found these, but it doesn't seem to have the tower near Bird World on it.

1725828505062.jpeg

Type in Ballarat ( can't post direct link as it links to my location!)

Than I found this one

1725828924860.png

I just find it hard to believe that they were all out of action except one!

Was it a coincidence that they found the phone south of Buninyong?

Previously in other posts it has been said that the cell phone network around Ballarat was 'down' the day SM disappeared. Other posts have also said that SM phone pinged south of the Buninyong, on the Buninyong golf course and Mount Clear. In order to determine precisely where a phone is either requires a GPS location or more than one operational cell tower signal from a phone that is turned on. Each tower by measuring the time lag in the ping creates an arc around each tower. As I have posted earlier just having another late model iPhone in proximity to SM phone would be enough to locate it. But what happens when there is only one available tower?

I looked at the phone tower that has been identified in Buninyong and did some measurements.

The phone tower south of Ballarat bird world. You can see the tower in the left lower corner Marked A.View attachment 529501

In the next image you can see the 4.2km arc from this phone tower going through the lake identified

View attachment 529503

In the next image you can see The location that RS was housesitting with his girlfriend. The same ARC is literally metres from the house.

View attachment 529504

Was SM phone really at 30 Yendon road and did the police search south near the dam just a lucky coincidence.

Incidentally the same ARC goes through where SM disappeared at Mount Clear. I decided not to include the image.

Given the recent posts about the phone, it makes this scenario more likely as phones don't work underwater. Those who say the phone was at the dam have to reconcile that the phone was not in the dam and why they did not reconcile the phone earlier. But we know the phone was underwater at that dam.

The owner of the dam was questioned early on, suggesting that it was about that 5pm ping from the single cell phone tower. How we can be sure of only one phone tower?

Samantha Murphy mystery is starting to unravel

Alternatively did he actually turn the phone on before he threw it in the water creating the ping?

Let us go through the logic.
1.The defendant would know whether he dumped the phone or not. If he didn't dump it, planting it in the dam would cause him no anxiety. The police can't manufacture evidence and take it to trial. His legal advisers know this. It would be detrimental to a conviction.
2. If it was a plant and actually Sam had not taken her phone, why did it ping at 5pm the day it disappeared. Why were they even looking for it?
The 5pm ping would have been at her home. At that stage they did not know she was murdered.
IIRC, it's been noted previously that a smartwatch linked to a phone could "ping" (ie phone not needing to be there at all.)
Could anyone please clarify whether or not this is possible. TIA

It's been suggested several times that the discovery of the phone and accompanying wallet could have been staged.
If this were the case, IMO there are various reasons why this could have been done. One possibility could be to draw an accomplice out. In such a case, theoretically, any evidence at trial would be provided by that accomplice.
Hence IMO the integrity Of the investigation would not be affected by the "staging". All entirely speculative. JMO

Last edited:
I just find it hard to believe that they were all out of action except one!

I think your second map is showing all towers from all providers (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, plus towers for NBN services). Sam's phone and PS' phone would have only been able to use one provider's towers - either Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, depending who each of them used as their provider.

How we can be sure of only one phone tower?

"Allan [Sam's uncle] claimed that task may have been made harder due to several phone towers in the area going offline.

'That day half the repeaters were out of action - everything was going through Buninyong,' he said."

Last edited:
I think your second map is showing all towers from all providers (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, plus towers for NBN services). Sam's phone and PS' phone would have only been able to use one provider's towers - either Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, depending who each of them used as their provider.
We don't know how the ping was created.

1. In Emergencies, they can use all available towers to ping the phone. see below regarding triple 0 call from 2021. Is it possible in an emergency like this they can go the other way around? I am unsure.

2. If using apple find my phone and it was actually ROS phone that detected the 'turned off' phone, he may have been with a different provider. It would not matter. Just one of the phones would need to be on a network.

3. Do we know which provider either for SM or ROS? its highly unlikely we will find out.

https://www.triplezero.gov.au/triple-zero/How-to-Call-000/advanced-mobile-location

Reactions: JLZ
We don't know how the ping was created.

1. In Emergencies, they can use all available towers to ping the phone. see below regarding triple 0 call from 2021. Is it possible in an emergency like this they can go the other way around? I am unsure.

2. If using apple find my phone and it was actually ROS phone that detected the 'turned off' phone, he may have been with a different provider. It would not matter. Just one of the phones would need to be on a network.

3. Do we know which provider either for SM or ROS? its highly unlikely we will find out.

https://www.triplezero.gov.au/triple-zero/How-to-Call-000/advanced-mobile-location

Have you watched the Under Investigation show about this case? Maybe (or maybe not) it will help to answer some questions. A panel of experts weigh in about the case.

Retracing the steps of a mum who disappeared after a run | Under Investigation with Liz Hayes

Where was the last ping?

Updated the images for the last 'ping of her phone'. The distance to the southern edge of the dam is 4.44 kms (note I changed the arc (4.2 is incorrect) from the Buninyong cellphone tower. This is where the phone was discovered after looking at the photos and the shadows of the police forensics team published in the daily mail.Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.43.24 AM.jpeg

This is as close as I could get.
Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.45.18 AM.jpeg

The same arc passes through the front of the house where ROS was arrested.
Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.42.15 AM.jpeg

So where was the last ping?

At the house (including surrounds) or was it at the dam. If it was at the dam he must of turned it on before throwing it in. Phones don't work underwater.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tammi Toxic
Back