Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't personally think that is unusual at all. The pockets for cards are designed to be tight. So that cards do not fall out. Sometimes it is a real effort to remove a card from its slot.

imo
100%. Mine drives me mad sometimes trying to get cards out as the pockets are so tight. Mine would not budge if I flung it anywhere. Maybe the sturdiness depends on the quality of the case. Sam’s appeared relatively intact (thankfully).

why on earth would she take her credit cards with her on a run down a bush track?... mystery to me....... ok , then.. credit cards it is.. could that be a mistake in reportage? ID card, possibly.... although, in AU that's usually a drivers licence, or .. pensioner card, or bank card, maybe, ID cards are not, as a rule, issued by any govt in AU, far as I know..
I take mine almost everywhere I go, “just in case” I think. My iwatch comes along too sometimes. All of my main cards are in my phone case and it can feel bulky to carry but I feel safer with it. Probably a safety precaution that many women do instinctively and can relate to more than men.
What it tells me is that she was aware, and that she liked to be prepared.
I’m still tending to think her phone was instrumental in this whole mess.

You can still elect to receive a physical drivers license in addition to digital, certainly in my state. Perhaps the reporting may have embellished the type of cards, I guess it could have been other loyalty cards plus the phone. Iam still puzzled by running with the phone case, irrespective of its contents. A phone fits nicely in leggings pockets but a case doesn’t.
Safety and convenience. I do it and the bulk becomes secondary. I’d rather the hassle of the bulk than find myself in a situation without my phone and access to money. I’m starting to think this is a gendered preference and it’s motivated by trying to safeguard against unsafe situations. Unfortunately didn’t work for Sam.

I don't think it was thrown, possibly placed there on the bank and in the bushes,
You’d then need to access the property which is fenced. You’d need to go over a fence and walk around to the dam. Once on the property you’d be in view of the two homes, and there’s the risk of dogs spotting you and barking. Too much hassle and too risky I think. The bushes are along the fence line on the road. Much easier throwing it all from the road.

You’d then need to access the property which is fenced. You’d need to go over a fence and walk around to the dam. Once on the property you’d be in view of the two homes, and there’s the risk of dogs spotting you and barking. Too much hassle and too risky I think. The bushes are along the fence line on the road. Much easier throwing it all from the road.
We don't know If that property has some significance with the phone, maybe the phone was pushed into the scrub and rain has moved it further down, or deliberately placed there

We don't know If that property has some significance with the phone, maybe the phone was pushed into the scrub and rain has moved it further down, or deliberately placed there
True about not knowing if there’s some significance. That dam though looks like it’s in a fenced paddock of its own so you’d need to scale the fence unless you threw it from the fence line inside the property. The bushes/scrub is not right on the dam. I can’t see a phone that’s lying in that scrub moving easily to the dam unless there was a landslide or flood. You can see that the water in that dam receded a lot when you compare photos. If the phone was lodged on a shallow shelf it would become visible near the edge as the dam emptied.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 6
True about not knowing if there’s some significance. That dam though looks like it’s in a fenced paddock of its own so you’d need to scale the fence unless you threw it from the fence line inside the property. The bushes/scrub is not right on the dam. I can’t see a phone that’s lying in that scrub moving easily to the dam unless there was a landslide or flood. You can see that the water in that dam receded a lot when you compare photos. If the phone was lodged on a shallow shelf it would become visible near the edge as the dam emptied.
the bushes that lined the road on the fence line of the dam, were much higher and thicker than in the pic further up the thread , on the day of the find, at the dam, that blackberry barrier was hacked down and back, and raked over, by VICPOL,... It would have been hard to see that dam from the road, unless one got a glint of water coming up to it, but standing next to it, no.....this is how I recall it.....

You can walk around the side of the property and get in, very easy. But this dam, possibly property could have some significance, so many dams around, but this one was chosen

1728108785889.png

Last edited:
You can walk around the side of the property and get in, very easy. But this dam, possibly property could have some significance, so many dams around, but this one was chosen

View attachment 535517
Nevertheless, there’s a high risk of being seen and there would be dogs there. Linger too long and your car parked outside would be noticed. Maybe he did enter and was seen, hence the targeted search there. Who knows? For now, I don’t think he did enter the property and I don’t think the dam was significant to him. I think it was on his way and convenient.

Nevertheless, there’s a high risk of being seen and there would be dogs there. Maybe he did enter and was seen, hence the targeted search there. Who knows? For now, I don’t think he did enter the property and I don’t think the dam was significant to him. I think it was on his way and convenient.
We don't know about dogs, but nearly every property on that road has a dam with more privacy. It's not as though this is the only dam on the road to be in a hurry to dump her phone, but the person who disposed of the phone just happened to pick this one.
Which I find it very odd

We don't know about dogs, but nearly every property on that road has a dam with more privacy. It's not as though this is the only dam on the road to be in a hurry to dump her phone, but the person who disposed of the phone just happened to pick this one.
Which I find it very odd
I just scooted along that road and spotted only 1, maybe 2, that offer similar appeal for a quick disposal. The rest are exposed, or too far from the road, or small. Could the alleged 5pm ping have happened at that point of his journey due to the phone becoming active or whatever and he decided then and there to ditch it?

I just scooted along that road and spotted only 1, maybe 2, that offer similar appeal for a quick disposal. The rest are exposed, or too far from the road, or small. Could the alleged 5pm ping have happened at that point of his journey due to the phone becoming active or whatever and he decided then and there to ditch it?
Maybe he had it next to him on the passenger seat, thinking about what to do with it , say, and he did a dumb thing, he turned it on, activated it, it begins to download all Mick's frantic calls, he gets a fright, hurls it away.. too late to retrieve it, he has to carry on, hoping it hit the bottom of the dam....

Even killers make mistakes.... no one 's perfect!

There are more than two. I also know this road, I have travelled on it quite a few times.

We don't know If he threw the phone in there

Phone batteries alos go flat within a matter of hours, if it was the last ping from that phone then surely police would have found it weeks earlier.

If there was a Ping from Sam’s phone from the Buninyong Tower ( 5pm or otherwise ) it says that her phone was in the vicinity at the time of the Ping, and was switched on.

But Mick said her phone was Off when he tried to ring her that morning.

Nevertheless, there’s a high risk of being seen and there would be dogs there. Linger too long and your car parked outside would be noticed. Maybe he did enter and was seen, hence the targeted search there. Who knows? For now, I don’t think he did enter the property and I don’t think the dam was significant to him. I think it was on his way and convenient.

agreed. there is any number of cases with this feature of dumping evidence and often it creates eveidence against the perp via CTV, telematics or evidence recovery.

LE knew to do a search along this road based on some insight. it is noted in No Stone Unturned that bodies etc are seldom far from car access. it’s fully expected perps dump evidence where they can drive right up and LE know this.

basically he was too lazy. it is actually far smarter to dump evidence in a featureless place away from road access. in a water feature like this is an obvious place to look.

first time killers are seldom smart about this stuff.

I agree, seems like it was one of the 1st opportunities IMO

There are more than two. I also know this road, I have travelled on it quite a few times.
I don’t know the road so your insight is good and indicates to me that the dam was chosen opportunistically.
We don't know If he threw the phone in there
We don’t. I tend to think he did. Lopped it high over the bushes and fence towards the middle of the dam and went on his way.

Phone batteries alos go flat within a matter of hours,
My phone is new and the battery lasts a really long time. I doubt Sam had an old phone.

if it was the last ping from that phone then surely police would have found it weeks earlier.
Why? How?
If there was a Ping from Sam’s phone from the Buninyong Tower ( 5pm or otherwise ) it says that her phone was in the vicinity at the time of the Ping, and was switched on.

But Mick said her phone was Off when he tried to ring her that morning.
This has come up a few times and I still don’t understand the question. Phones that are off can be turned on. If Mick said it was off I tend to believe it was off. He’d know and it’d be the language he would have used when conversing with the police too. Sam wouldn’t have turned it off, so who did?
Then it went on again? Why?
I’m holding to my theory that Sam’s phone, and moreso something on it, is the key.

LE knew to do a search along this road based on some insight. it is noted in No Stone Unturned that bodies etc are seldom far from car access. it’s fully expected perps dump evidence where they can drive right up and LE know this.
I love this. Makes sense and I think in this case it really fits. He would’ve been pumping on adrenaline and keen to have it all gone and over. I really think he stayed local, was time poor, and didn’t go to a lot of trouble with any of it. It just looks like that whole area has too many options and places to hide.

That was what I was alluding to. Such a throw would be easy for a tall (6' 6), fit, 22 year old, sometime footy player with developed arm & shoulder muscles. Not so much for someone without the height, or similar attributes. Could be useful when looking at the alleged’s modus operandi.

MOO, throwing a phone at a distance into the dam seems oddly flippant to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead
Back