Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police were quick to state that the murder of a Clunes women is unrelated to SM.

Sebastopol is running in part parallel to the suburb of Mt Clear separated by the Gold Mine on one side and Pine plantation/old tip the other side.

I am currently in the Sebas library about to search again in the areas between the 2 suburbs.

The park and areas around it now have low lying water in the tracks. I see no one except cars now in the areas I search on foot.

Woowookarung Park has now had a lot of traffic as the fly tipping has been cleaned up and lots of bollards installed to prevent vehicle traffic. I doubt there are any areas left to check in the park.

The interest shown in the industrial area I guess was more to do with the hope of getting any useable vision of vehicle activity. There are several exit/entry points and I have tried all on foot. Little or no obvious cameras in any area including the industrial areas.

Main entry/exits - Cathie (where SM entered), Wilson, York, Spencer, Clayton, Elsworth East (industrial), Recreation, Olympic(easy access to parents house - unlikely to pass police), Greenhill/Boundary (can continue to Yankee Flat and to house in Scottsburn), McCarthys (leading to Yankee Flat) - note Yankee Flat Road was well searched by SES.

At Easter lots of Victorians would have gone bush walking/camping etc so would expect lots of local reserves etc are being used - still no body.

Fire effected areas are having fences repaired by volunteers - still no body.

Local ground crew have searched Buningyong and Scotchmans Lead - no body

Tip Hill - searched by me several times, still illegal fly tipping and local motor cross vehicles using for joy riding - no body

One area of interest in Tip Hill is a small Gully full of crap but accessible by SUV. Difficult to access actual Gully. No real smell evident but possibly no smell anymore. Have entered Tip Hill from several entry points but no evidence of anything but rubbish.

I have not seen MM’s in the Park but maybe he only drives main areas. He would have the 2 youngest on school holidays now. I believe Jess lives in NZ or was given that impression by a family friend.

PS family left for QLD or so locals were reporting.

Dbm

Last edited:
Very misleading headline in the Daily Mail.

Most people would think that it was Samantha's daughter. I know I did :(

Samantha Murphy: Ballarat rocked by death of 23-year-old woman after mother disappeared​

Edited to say that it looks like they changed what the initial link said but they have kept it in the article

"Samantha Murphy: Ballarat rocked by death of 23-year-old woman after mother disappeared"

RIP to the poor person :(

Very misleading headline in the Daily Mail.

Most people would think that it was Samantha's daughter. I know I did :(

Samantha Murphy: Ballarat rocked by death of 23-year-old woman after mother disappeared​

Edited to say that it looks like they changed what the initial link said but they have kept it in the article

"Samantha Murphy: Ballarat rocked by death of 23-year-old woman after mother disappeared"

RIP to the poor person :(
Yeah, you have to consider the source. Anything to suck you in.

Another tragedy, and more families shattered by loss and heartache. Very sad.

They did believe haemorrhage, smothering or strangulation, blunt force was the cause

But the judge was undetermined

His defence team, which successfully suppressed parts of the autopsy report at the trial.

It was the scratches on his face which were to prove crucial in his sentencing

Forensic medicine nowadays is outstanding, so much new technology

The best scenario is

If he confesses and gives up the body then it's all over.
The Coroner could not deter mine cause of death for Allison due to decomposition.
I do hope Samantha is found soon and as you say new technology might be able to detect lots of forensics.
The best thing for everyone would be for accused to confess (if he actually did it), say where her body is, give family closure and suck up his sentence. He could be out by the time he is 40.

The Coroner could not deter mine cause of death for Allison due to decomposition.
I do hope Samantha is found soon and as you say new technology might be able to detect lots of forensics.
The best thing for everyone would be for accused to confess (if he actually did it), say where her body is, give family closure and suck up his sentence. He could be out by the time he is 40.
Wow, seriously…? Out potentially by 40….?

And that is an incredibly frightening thought/reality.
May I ask what, practically, would have to occur for the alleged accused to be out of jail by 40? That would be only 18 years in prison….

Would this be if alleged murder charges could not be proven beyond reasonable doubt? And hence downgraded to alleged manslaughter? What kinds of circumstances might impact granting of bail?

May I ask what, practically, would have to occur for the alleged accused to be out of jail by 40? That would be only 18 years in prison….

Would this be if alleged murder charges could not be proven beyond reasonable doubt? And hence downgraded to alleged manslaughter? What kinds of circumstances might impact granting of bail?
Actually, the minimum jail time for murder is 25 years, so he'd be 47 not 40, if found guilty and doing the minimum time. I'm not sure if you potentially get time off for good behaviour with murder, but potentially he could be released earlier if that's the case. Manslaughter has a minimum jail time of 15 years, making him 37 on release if that was the case. I'm not the right person to ask, there are many others here with a much better understanding of Australian laws. Hopefully they'll have some insight for us both.

Somewhere else in this thread or topic someone else mentioned 40. Not sure who or where but that's where 40 came from. 40 or 47, it would still make him a young enough man to live several decades, marry, have children and have a life. Or young and strong enough to continue to be a menace to society if he chose, Adrian Bayley style.

MOO

How is that even possible? On what grounds? That seems ridiculous to me. (Not that I'm questioning you, just the process)
The Coroner could not determine the exact cause of death. Strangulation was suspected. The autopsy report was partially withheld at the trial - agreed by prosecution and defence - as it was deemed not to shed any further light on the case. Believe me, I have read it and it would make any grown person vomit!

Ok. Life is 25 years in Victoria. His current time in jail will be taken off the sentence, then he could get released early on parole is he behaves himself. But if he never discloses where SM is and she is not found, he will do the full time - no body, no parole.

The Coroner could not determine the exact cause of death. Strangulation was suspected. The autopsy report was partially withheld at the trial - agreed by prosecution and defence - as it was deemed not to shed any further light on the case. Believe me, I have read it and it would make any grown person vomit!
Thanks for the clarification. If her cause of death couldn't be proven then I guess it's not relevant, and "hearsay " maybe. I thought the defence was able to quash it for some reason which didn't sound right.

Ok. Life is 25 years in Victoria. His current time in jail will be taken off the sentence, then he could get released early on parole is he behaves himself. But if he never discloses where SM is and she is not found, he will do the full time - no body, no parole.
Does the no body-no parole exist in Victoria? The answer seems to be unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli