SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I went to school with Annette and rode the bus with her every morning...I can still remember the color of nail polish she was wearing. I was one of the last people to see her the day she disappeared. I saw her standing outside , we went by to pick up the kids in Strawberry and by the time the bus turned around and was on the other side of the road to pick her up, she was gone. Just like that. I've thought about her my entire life. Would if I looked back behind me, would I have seen what happened ? It was only a few minutes she was out of sight. I do wonder, bc of the tight amount of time there would be from passing by her and the bus making the few pickups and then picking her up last..maybe someone knew the schedule? That could easily point to her Mom coming back.. And would her Stepdad have let her out of the house that morning to go to school, if he was going to do something to her. I hope she is out there somewhere. It just doesn't make sense, by now...why wouldn't her and her mother have come forward . I know its not likely but I still have hope that this mystery is solved one day ...

Just curious, but if she never got on the bus that day, how was it that you were able to see the color of nail polish she was wearing?

Have any family members contacted Berkley county police to pressure them to reopen as a cold case? Have the grounds of and around the plantation ever been searched with dogs? I know the forest area from the tip was, but seems to me the plantation itself should have been thoroughly searched.

I wonder that myself...I'm going to ask that question to BCSD

Per your post of June 14, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Post #225, did you ever get an answer on this from BCSD?

Per your post of June 14, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Post #225, did you ever get an answer on this from BCSD?
Post 297... I noted that new eyes were looking into the case. Actions are being taken and little information is coming to light, but the process is slow. Patience will be a key factor for this case.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post 297... I noted that new eyes were looking into the case. Actions are being taken and little information is coming to light, but the process is slow. Patience will be a key factor for this case.

Thank you, Lost Son.

BBM Some of those cadaver dogs are incredibly good. The anonymous tip may have been from a crackpot.

I don't think that Korinna is voluntarily missing. I think that Annette's stepfather killed both her and Annette. As others have mentioned, it's possible that Annette was killed because she knew something about her mother's disappearance, but it's also possible that the stepfather had been sexually abusing Annette and that he realized that if he lost custody and lost control of her, she would eventually talk. Korrina may have been killed because she found out what was going on.

ETA: I read that he wasn't trying to get custody, but that fact, even if true, doesn't preclude the scenario that I mentioned.
Annette called family member after she went missing a few times and then nothing.

I hate to make a suggestion like this, but have you or your brother considered having your DNA put into a database? Sadly there are many Jane Does discovered every year in South Carolina and around the entire USA, perhaps Annette or Korrina may be one of them and this could finally identify them? Or at the very least, rule them out?
I did this a few years ago. Within a month I received a call, after DNA was received, to let me know there was no match and my information would be stored in the database.

Annette called family members?? What did she say?
This was posted in earlier posts. I am her brother. I have spoken to family members in the past about these calls.

After her disappearance, she called a family a few times. These calls started as quickly as they ended. When she did call, she would whisper into the phone. She also sounded like she was covering up the handset to further mask her voice from others in the house. Family would try to find out her location. Calls were always short because someone was always coming and she would hang up.

Family is pretty certain that it was her. If it was, it is apparent that she was taken and trying to get away.

Annette called family member after she went missing a few times and then nothing.

I'd never heard of this case until today, and have read this thread from the beginning. I truly hope some solid answers are coming after all this time.

This was posted in earlier posts. I am her brother. I have spoken to family members in the past about these calls.

After her disappearance, she called a family a few times. These calls started as quickly as they ended. When she did call, she would whisper into the phone. She also sounded like she was covering up the handset to further mask her voice from others in the house. Family would try to find out her location. Calls were always short because someone was always coming and she would hang up.

Family is pretty certain that it was her. If it was, it is apparent that she was taken and trying to get away.

I just read this whole thread this morning and obviously missed reading that Annette called family after she went missing. Do you know what she said when she called? Which family members (aunt, cousin, grandma?) and when the calls stopped (a week later, a year later)? Did she ever say where she was or how she got there?

I just read this whole thread this morning and obviously missed reading that Annette called family after she went missing. Do you know what she said when she called? Which family members (aunt, cousin, grandma?) and when the calls stopped (a week later, a year later)? Did she ever say where she was or how she got there?
I know who she called. I do not know the time frame when the calls stopped, but there were only a few calls. Calls didn't last more than a minute or two. Whoever had her, kept a close eye on her. This explains the length of time for the calls. Location was never disclosed on the phone. The question was asked but she had to go before being caught.

How on earth was the husband/stepdad never charged for this? It's almost laughable.

Just found out about this case thanks to Cayleigh Elise's YouTube channel.
I just read all 16 pages on websleuths.
My heart breaks for you Lost_son. Being only 3 or 4 when the disappearance occurred you lived a long life of questioning probably everything.
I don't want to be negative in my thinking. However if Steve really believes that both your mom and sister just disappeared, why did he move so quickly? If there was any chance with her being alive wouldn't he have wanted to stick around.
I've read he was employed at the plantation, and according to what I've read here he was a using narcotics, I assume his job was laboring and possibly quite physical.. was the plantation owners ever questioned on his behaviors. He would know the land well being that he was employed, was there a path leading from the guest quarters to the bus shelter? How long of a walk from the guest quarters to the actual bus shelter?
I read you said he lied about his first wife and child dying in a fire.. is she alive, and if so wide 1 and 2 what is their account of his character?
For him to be remarried, did they have to declare your mother deceased?
Do any of Steve's children excluding yourself have anything to do with him.
People have stated the marriage was volatile, and you don't recall the behaviors from the day your mom left, being on a plantation wasn't anyone else around to verify whether or not she walked out alive and on her own accord.
I don't think your mom would continue all these years without contacting you boys. She looked like a loving mom. With your sister being old enough to remember having siblings with today's technology I don't think you'd still be in the dark of what happened to them
I really pray and hope you have answers soon.
Thank you for your service by the way. Only awesome people are born in 1984 !

Hello everyone, as you can see I am brand new here , but after having read this I feel I have some notes to contribute.

@Lost_Son
@Carolinagirl79
Post #310, you mention: "Annette called family member after she went missing a few times and then nothing." -
Lost_Son, Feb 28, 2018

This is the first time these phone calls have ever been mentioned. They are not mentioned in any news articles or any of the previous 15 pages. Someone then asks you (Lost_son) to clarify and you state:
"This was posted in earlier posts. I am her brother. I have spoken to family members in the past about these calls. " - The calls were not mentioned earlier. Is there anyway you can get further info on the calls?
- Who did she call
- Were the calls traced
- Were the calls reported to LE?
- How many times did she call.
- Why is this info not available anywhere else?

*modsnip*/ sleuthing non POI or family is against TOS and removed

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! I read whole this thread. Make me tear and shocked, speechless.....

@Lost_Son, I am so sorry about that through you have experience. I am sure that Steve know what exactly he doing with their both disappeared but let God handle and take care of it, God know 2 person where is. I pray for you and your brother and hope you get answer one day. Dont give up hope. Stay strong

I read on Annette's Charley Project profile that the step dad had a drug problem. If it wasn't the step dad that is responsible for Annette and her mother's disappearance, maybe the step dad had drug debt and someone took them. Just a thought.

Feb 27 2019
Experts take new look at Berkeley County cold case of missing mother, 11-year-old girl

Sheriff Duane Lewis says, "We don’t have any bodies. and we don't have any information that leads us to believe they are still alive."

Lt. Kokinda says right now experts at College of Charleston are formulating a mathematical equation.

Detectives say CofC is calculating high probability areas where they may be buried. They're specifically looking at soil and typography. Once it's complete, CofC will help lead the search that will likely take at least a week. Without this plan, the massive search would take six months or more.

"They are developing a model where we can narrow that 6,000 acres down to a 100 or 200 acres which is a doable search,” Lewis says.

“They have drones, radar, ground penetrating radar. There are a lot of resources they have that can help us,” said Lt. Kokinda.

Detectives are also waiting on DNA testing of some items taken from the family home."
"More case information:
Berkeley County deputies say Annette’s stepfather, Steve Malinoski, abandoned his two biological children from his marriage with Korrina after their disappearance. They were later adopted.
  • Deputies say they have been in contact with the children. The boys were under the age of four when their mother and stepsister vanished and remember very little.
  • Investigators say Steve Malinoski now lives in Florida. ABC News 4 was unsuccessful tracking him down. Detectives have not interviewed him since re-opening the case. They say they want to know "all they can about the case" before speaking with him.
  • In the 1990s, a pond on the property was drained for maintenance. Deputies say a rolled-up carpet was pulled out. The plantation’s caretaker notified authorities, but it was never documented in the Malinoski/Sagers case file. The carpet was also never tested for evidence. Lt. Kokinda and Detective Lewis only learned of the carpet when they re-opened the case and visited the property and spoke with the caretaker. Detectives say there is no reason why anyone would need to dispose of carpet in the pond. It’s secluded and very few people know the pond exists. They believe it may be tied to the case. The carpet no longer exists.
If you have any information, contact the Berkeley County Cold Case Squad at coldcases@berkeleycountysc.gov or call 843-719-4668. You can remain anonymous. Detectives stress that the smallest piece of information could help crack the case."

I am still here, unfortunately I don't have any new updates.

Text me sometime...843-513-8045. That producer from L.A for the True Crime show has been trying to get me to interview..wondering if you were one of the ones she said she's spoken with. Annie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back