Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were several of us who worked in a group together one time. One of them had the bright idea to take DD's cell # off of the LE report and try to find out who the carrier was.

I just did this again and the number came up being associated with this company:

CELLCO Partnership DBA VERIZON Wireless

But of course this tells us nothing about what kind of phone BD had. All I've ever heard about that phone is that it was pink (or had pink casing).

If she has Verizon cell then she have good service here in Gtown thats our only phone provider in Gtown and Andrews we dont get a choice for landline but verizon lol,,so that would explain if she has verizon cell service,cause most likey thats verizon towers in this area,,

Well, I have done a cell tower search for SC, and there are several around Andrews, and some are in Williamsburg Co.

Was trying to mark the locations so I could see a bigger picture but unfortunately Google Earth is quitting on me and not saving them. I'll have to try and make sense of it when I have some time (out of that tonight)

Interestingly, there's a Powells Loop Rd near one of them, over by Andrews.

As far as the phone, shouldn't be too hard to figure that out, and Google up some reports. Again, time.

I can vouch for Verizon. Excellent coverage. I went to the lake with 3 other friends one weekend and mine was the only phone with bars. (11 kids between us - my phone was hoppin'!) It could be a blessing if she had Verizon - could be the only carrier that gets coverage in an area like that. Think about it, without those pings, what would we have in this case?

Ok, I think I figured out how to get two maps done. Duhhh, me; how about clicking that 'alternate route' thingy, huh?

The first is what I am thinking could be the route someone living on the western side of Georgetown may have taken to get to Powell Road without going through downtown Georgetown. Could explain "tracked her phone as it traveled from Williamsburg County inland, towards the coast".

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...79.363174&spn=0.25363,0.615921&t=h&z=11&via=1

There's only 8 minutes time difference in the routes.

And you STILL have the pull the maps around to see my points A & B !!

I agree that this is the most likely route. Not only does it bypass downtown Georgetown, I can't even imagine them passing more than one vehicle on this back road. They would have taken Alt 17 to Saints Delight Rd to Powell Rd....or wherever their final spot was that evening in Georgetown county.

FWIW, this is a VERY informative article about cell phone pings. I think it's very likely that the pings in Williamsburg and Charleston counties were simply 'false' pings off towers that had longer ranges. Another thing I noticed is that, according to another article, the pings happen more often when you have a phone call. If there are no incoming/outgoing calls, the pings don't 'hit' as often. That may explain why there was never a 'ping' in Murrells Inlet or Pawley's Island, etc. Someone may have waited a few minutes between calls....or could have been calling JO at that point. "The range depends on a number of factors, such as the tower’s height, the size and power of the transmitters, obstructions (such as buildings, trees, and terrain), and the underlying communications technology supported by the transmitters (CDMA, GSM, etc.). Towers can have a range as short as 2 or 3 miles and as far as 45 miles." http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/03/14/understanding-cell-phone-pings/

I agree that this is the most likely route. Not only does it bypass downtown Georgetown, I can't even imagine them passing more than one vehicle on this back road. They would have taken Alt 17 to Saints Delight Rd to Powell Rd....or wherever their final spot was that evening in Georgetown county.

FWIW, this is a VERY informative article about cell phone pings. I think it's very likely that the pings in Williamsburg and Charleston counties were simply 'false' pings off towers that had longer ranges. Another thing I noticed is that, according to another article, the pings happen more often when you have a phone call. If there are no incoming/outgoing calls, the pings don't 'hit' as often. That may explain why there was never a 'ping' in Murrells Inlet or Pawley's Island, etc. Someone may have waited a few minutes between calls....or could have been calling JO at that point. "The range depends on a number of factors, such as the tower’s height, the size and power of the transmitters, obstructions (such as buildings, trees, and terrain), and the underlying communications technology supported by the transmitters (CDMA, GSM, etc.). Towers can have a range as short as 2 or 3 miles and as far as 45 miles." http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/03...l-phone-pings/

^BBM Well, that sure would help ME reconcile a lot of the concerns I have had over her phone NOT pinging in MI or PI that night.

krista, I just edited that post about the two different routes with a note about Corner Loop/Belladonna Ct too. You should check it out since you were right there with us the other day. Just go to that second map route I posted, and put in Corner Loop as Destination C and you'll see exactly what I am talking about. (Remember Belladonna Ct isnt on Google's radar)

Good info, SeaNymph

All we needed was for the phone to ping in Williamsburg county...which it would likely do on Saints Delight Rd (9.7 miles from Williamsburg County line)......and for the phone to be in Georgetown County by 10:18....which it would be within one hour of leaving BWR. I think the mention of Williamsburg AND the mention of the phone going inland, makes this the most probable route.

LE went to seven mile rd VERY early on in the investigation. If they believed the perps were traveling hwy 17 all that way, then suddenly stop, wouldn't the most likely scenario be that they just pulled off the road somewhere, if the pings stayed steady south towards Charleston?
I was just thinking that if I had nothing else to go on but phone pings, that would be the best guess scenario....just to follow the road until an hour and 16 minutes had passed..(8:58pm text in MB and the 10:18PM ping in Georgetown with an alternate ping at some point in Charleston County) ..or until you get to the farthest part of Hwy 17 right at the Charleston County line.
Remember, this is BEFORE LE believed these perps to be Gtown residents. They could have been perps driving through or human traffickers with no local affiliation.

In other words, could it be possible that LE never recieved any tips or info about the area around 7 mile rd, and instead, just went there based on where it was on the map and how long they knew Brittanee had been missing?
I've just never seen 7 mile rd as a possibility...and I think the searches there have always been about 'double checking every possibility,' not any legitimate tips. IMHO of course.

Also, did anyone ever figure out how to post a photo from Bing maps. Really wanting to do that!!

Also, did anyone ever figure out how to post a photo from Bing maps. Really wanting to do that!!

Krista,

I'm not sure there is an option to directly link an image on Bing, but I have to admit that I didn't really look when I was pasting mine.

What I did was, when I had the image up that I wanted to share, I pressed my "print screen button" on my keyboard.

Then, I pressed "paste" within my Paint program.

Then, I used the box-select feature and selected around the edges of the specific area I was trying to show.

Then I pressed "cut" in order to extract that from the rest of the entire screen image.

Then, I chose to open a new, blank document (it's not necessary to save when prompted this time).

Then, I pressed "paste" on the new document.

After that, you simply save the picture and then come back here and insert the image in a post.

I'm sorry that was so confusing :waitasec:
It really doesn't seem that way when you're doing it.

I've just never seen 7 mile rd as a possibility...and I think the searches there have always been about 'double checking every possibility,' not any legitimate tips. IMHO of course.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure what it is about this road, but I have a feeling it is close to the specific area of interest. I still feel certain that the cell tower on this road is the last tower Brittanee's phone pinged. It's a dirt road, mostly through woods, there are some mobile homes here and there... This is the same road I was gestured by some suspicous looking folks..

It's 5 miles from North Santee community. It's on the East side of highway 17. Like I said before, I get a real strange feeling when I am riding through that area, North all the way up to Whitehall Ave. (Belle Isle and Whitehall appear to be upper class areas, FWIW)

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure what it is about this road, but I have a feeling it is close to the specific area of interest. I still feel certain that the cell tower on this road is the last tower Brittanee's phone pinged. It's a dirt road, mostly through woods, there are some mobile homes here and there... This is the same road I was gestured by some suspicous looking folks..

It's 5 miles from North Santee community. It's on the East side of highway 17. Like I said before, I get a real strange feeling when I am riding through that area, North all the way up to Whitehall Ave. (Belle Isle and Whitehall appear to be upper class areas, FWIW)

The astro thread for Britt suggested that the perp may be from an affluent background, FWIW.

Praying for you today Britty.

You should be wrapping up your senior year of high school just like my little sister.

You should be sending out your graduation announcements and enjoying your senior prom.

This is just devastating.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Mlatta,
Oh, I completely agree that her phone pinged to that cell tower...and that it's nearby where Brittanee's phone was...but I question if there are closer towers to N Santee...or if it pinged off that tower because the area is so rural and there simply weren't closer towers at the time. Does that make any sense?
Frankly, not to criticize anyone's hometown, but I've always thought nearly all of Georgetown was spooky. It's just ALL so desolate and lonely feeling. It's beautiful, but abandoned feeling, if that makes sense. Perhaps that's because it's nestled between MB and Charleston, but it just always feels so otherworldly....like you are literally all by yourself, like the whole county feels gray and empty. I haven't been on 7 mile rd....you'll have to come with me when I go!!!....but I'd really like to look into the cell towers in the area....to know how many there are and how far apart they are in that area.

Have y'all thought about making friends with the people at the kayak outfitters in Georgetown? After you turn inland off 17 right in town on Black River Rd (?) by the hospital and then it merges onto some other big road (where WalMart is), it's on the left before you get to the Francis Marion gas station that turns left to go to the jail. (Sorry, don't know the name, but I know exactly where it's located!)

Runr,
Good idea...especially in these swampy, sometime shallow areas!!

I'm just learning to kayak....and a friend of mine has 2 or three that we've been training on. It would be fairly easy and cheap to rent a kayak to use in the river. I'm assuming that, prior to HWY 17 (west of 17) , the water is fairly calm. Would that be correct?

I kayak (and own one, complete w/GPS), but don't know that river. I'd go with someone who does though. I left my contact info upthread, or can be PM'd here.

Can't do it until after bike week though, working all the time.

Would like to investigate the cell tower locations more but am too darn busy today. Good info though, y'all.

Mlatta,
Oh, I completely agree that her phone pinged to that cell tower...and that it's nearby where Brittanee's phone was...but I question if there are closer towers to N Santee...or if it pinged off that tower because the area is so rural and there simply weren't closer towers at the time. Does that make any sense?
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I used a couple of web resources to locate towers, and then I went out for a ride to chase them down. See the attached picture. The next tower is pretty far away, and IIRC it is a smaller tower, and probably has less strength.

Frankly, not to criticize anyone's hometown, but I've always thought nearly all of Georgetown was spooky. It's just ALL so desolate and lonely feeling. It's beautiful, but abandoned feeling, if that makes sense. Perhaps that's because it's nestled between MB and Charleston, but it just always feels so otherworldly....like you are literally all by yourself, like the whole county feels gray and empty.

I really like the town of Georgetown. There's not much to be seen from highway 17, but there is a historical downtown district, and it looks a lot like Charleston, but smaller. There's a lot of seafood resturaunts in this downtown area... It's actually very pretty! Georgetown is desperatley trying to become more of a spot for tourists and fisherman, particularly fishing competitions. They are trying to recover their economy from the closing of the steel plant. That being said - the rest of Georgetown county truly defines the word desolate. It is kind of scary out there. Personally, I like it.. I like being out in the middle of nowhere. There's some parts out there, where you can sit down, listen carefully and not hear a car, a person, or anything outside of nature... It can be quite peaceful. Not something I would want everyday though...

I haven't been on 7 mile rd....you'll have to come with me when I go!!!....but I'd really like to look into the cell towers in the area....to know how many there are and how far apart they are in that area.

Don't get too excited! It's a dirt road with tons of trees! but yes, you are totally welcome to ride with me... I'm sure we'd make the most of it. To be honest, every time I go out roaming around those areas, I have fun... I've always thought - Make the most out of what you are given.

-=matt=-

Attachments

• GTOWN_TOWERS.JPG
    GTOWN_TOWERS.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 19
I kayak (and own one, complete w/GPS), but don't know that river. I'd go with someone who does though. I left my contact info upthread, or can be PM'd here.

Can't do it until after bike week though, working all the time.

Would like to investigate the cell tower locations more but am too darn busy today. Good info though, y'all.

I probably won't go kayaking with you, but I can offer to come pick you up at "point B". I have a roof rack, we can throw the kayaks on it, and I can bring you back to your vehicles.. beats making a u-turn and kayaking all the way back ... IMO

I probably won't go kayaking with you, but I can offer to come pick you up at "point B". I have a roof rack, we can throw the kayaks on it, and I can bring you back to your vehicles.. beats making a u-turn and kayaking all the way back ... IMO

I think the Kayaking idea is a good one. Especially for drifting down the river and poking around in places. I would plot my route and then check the tide times as the river will rise and fall with the tides. So if you time your trip to coincide with the tides, you could easily 'drift' with the tides from point A to point B and 'drift' back to point A (your starting point) when the tides change. Of course you will need to use your paddle but it will cause less physical stress as opposed to fighting incoming currents. A representative of the kayak rental company can advise you if you provide a time frame. The rental companies usually will arrange to deliver and pick up the kayaks at a public access as they wish to recover their property. I hope this makes sense.

I am amazed reading and learning how you all are tracking the pings and about the maps in Britt's case. Thank you to all for all of your diligent work to bring Britt home!

It seems every time I post here lately, I end up teary eyed. We will find you Britt!

wm

Im with Mlatta, ill go with yall but not going in that swampy water in no kayak to many gators and snakes and its nasty,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper