Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But if that was May 31st and someone calls thinking they might be smelling a dead body, it seems like the police would have checked into it right away. Maybe it wasn't anything since that was 14 or 15 days ago...we probably would have heard something by now, well if it was Brittanee at least.

i wouldn't assume anything, remember how many times RK had to call about finding caylee

i wouldn't assume anything, remember how many times RK had to call about finding caylee

I'm still a little new to websleuths and I know about what happened to Caylee, but not really sure of the details. I'm guessing someone had to call a lot before the police listened?

If that's the case, that's really sad. :( But thanks for pointing that out! I'd hope the police in MB checked into it right after receiving a call like that, especially when there's a chance it could have been Brittanee...or any other missing person around the area. Then again I was really disappointed at how soon they suspended the searches. I know they didn't have many leads to follow, but still...I guess I just wasn't comfortable with it.

I didn't see any other info in the police reports regarding the possible body. You'd think there would at least be a follow up even if the smell turned out to be something else?

The smell of a dead body is very distinct and like January said a former morgue worker would undoubtedly be able to recognize it. If it wasn't a dead human, it had to have been a dead something.

Out of curiosity I looked up the crime rates in Myrtle Beach and they are VERY high. The average US city crime index is 320.9... Myrtle Beach's crime index is 1448.9!!! The area where BD was staying (Ocean Blvd.) appears to be particularly unsafe. Maybe BD was abducted after all. Don't you wish that she could just pop up for a second and explain what happened? sigh.

Question: Brittanee asked her Mom for permission to go to Myrtle Beach, yes? You'd think that if B was going to run away, she wouldn't divulge where she was headed. But then, maybe one of her friends convinced her to run away or perhaps Myrtle Beach was just a jumping off point for a further destination.

I don't know. Both options - runaway or stranger abduction - are reasonable and very possible. Either way, the entire situation is so tragic and the chances of B's survival are slim. I just hope that there's something under LE's nose that they aren't putting together and B will be recovered... :(

But if that was May 31st and someone calls thinking they might be smelling a dead body, it seems like the police would have checked into it right away. Maybe it wasn't anything since that was 14 or 15 days ago...we probably would have heard something by now, well if it was Brittanee at least.

What you said makes common sense, but common sense is not very common. The meter reader called several times about seeing a suspicious garbage bag in the Caylee Anthony disappearance. Yet, even when the police office who took the call did go to the area he gave it a cursory look, and nothing more. So, even if a call about a dead body was "investigated" nothing may have been found, even if a dead body was there. I am so sad that this case seems to have fallen off of the media radar.

Hey athy, did not see your post until I had posted mine. You beat me to the punch re: the meter reader and poor investigation on a tip in the Caylee Anthony case.

6/1/2009 12:16PM 314 WITHERS SWASH DR KEEP CHECK (PARK)
KEEP - KEEP CHECK

There was another call to this same address the next day I don't know what the code "(Park) keep-keep check means? Does park (mean the park that was there) or to park patrol car and look?

Syttende!!!

Glad you joined Websleuths!!!
sign_welcomebounce.gif

There was also a park near by. The house there is that a vacation rental/condo or is this a residential area? I think someone should look into this. Debbie MIller can you send this info to your journalist friend to check out.

I can forward it to him.

I don't like calling the police either. I think we should ask Debbie since she has a good contact who can find out if something has been looked into already sounds like MBPD might have goofed in early days of investigation.

Let's hope she can get info. Debbie also drove to Blue Water last week, since she lives there she can probably help alot more. If not we could forward on to Dawn's facebook and she could tell us if this was looked into.

I can make the call , this is what I do on a volunteer basis when I am not at work.

I want to go back to the beach and take more photos, hoping the batteries cooperate with me this time. I am off Thursday and Friday.

I am not sure what the police will tell but it is worth a try. I will also tell them that if there are any more searches I would be glad to help if I can get the day off. I doubt they will search anymore unless they get a real good solid lead.

KEEP - KEEP CHECK

There was another call to this same address the next day I don't know what the code "(Park) keep-keep check means? Does park (mean the park that was there) or to park patrol car and look?

Another 6/3/09 I'llkeep checking

09-051563 6/3/2009 10:15PM 314 WITHERS SWASH DR KEEP CHECK (PARK)

(looks like as I read on that keep check means to keep a look out) and it this case the park

KEEP - KEEP CHECK

Not sure what this means.

I can make the call , this is what I do on a volunteer basis when I am not at work.

I want to go back to the beach and take more photos, hoping the batteries cooperate with me this time. I am off Thursday and Friday.

I am not sure what the police will tell but it is worth a try. I will also tell them that if there are any more searches I would be glad to help if I can get the day off. I doubt they will search anymore unless they get a real good solid lead.

Thanks Debbie you are great. I'm gonna keep checking these police files, obviously the police are keeping on eye on something here.

I didn't see any other info in the police reports regarding the possible body. You'd think there would at least be a follow up even if the smell turned out to be something else?

The smell of a dead body is very distinct and like January said a former morgue worker would undoubtedly be able to recognize it. If it wasn't a dead human, it had to have been a dead something.

Out of curiosity I looked up the crime rates in Myrtle Beach and they are VERY high. The average US city crime index is 320.9... Myrtle Beach's crime index is 1448.9!!! The area where BD was staying (Ocean Blvd.) appears to be particularly unsafe. Maybe BD was abducted after all. Don't you wish that she could just pop up for a second and explain what happened? sigh.

Question: Brittanee asked her Mom for permission to go to Myrtle Beach, yes? You'd think that if B was going to run away, she wouldn't divulge where she was headed. But then, maybe one of her friends convinced her to run away or perhaps Myrtle Beach was just a jumping off point for a further destination.

I don't know. Both options - runaway or stranger abduction - are reasonable and very possible. Either way, the entire situation is so tragic and the chances of B's survival are slim. I just hope that there's something under LE's nose that they aren't putting together and B will be recovered... :(
Welcome to WS~ I was there on vacation a couple of years ago and it was party central if you didn't stay in North Myrtle Beach. We drove down to check out the nightlife and it looked more like NOLA! Kids hanging out of cars and in the back of pickup trucks, screaming, drinking, and partying their @sses off. The bars were full and everyone was young. I can see why the crime rate would be a bit higher than other places. From what I saw there was no supervision and LE appeared to be a bit lax.

I have pondered if she ran away or was abducted. I think if she simply ran away, someone would have concrete proof of a sighting. She would have called someone by now and the grapevine would leak along the way.

Is LE certain her mother did not see her while in MB? Something about her mom just didn't sit right with me early on in this thing. Her story doesn't gel for me and she started talking about her being dead almost immediately.

Thanks Debbie you are great. I'm gonna keep checking these police files, obviously the police are keeping on eye on something here.

Ok the more I've read I finally did a control "f" find and typed in address there are multiple calls for this exact address and near it. 314 is the location of the park (where the pier is). I think it's a problem site for kids, partying, gangs, sounds like animals also.

Here is another call in:

09-055511 6/13/2009 08:51AM 314 WITHERS SWASH DR VANDALISM GANG RELATED GRAFETTI FOUND ON WATER FOUNTAIN NEAR BIG
PICNIC SHELTER. "PBE" AND "GUNBUNK@YAHOO.COM" WRITTEN ON SIDE. COMPL

"Keep check" - could that possibly mean that exactly what it says... that the police are going to "keep check" on the area for awhile? That would seem to indicate that a body was indeed found, but LE doesn't want to give out information and maybe wants to wait to see if the perp is going to return?

No idea - just speculating.

If it was giving off such an odor from so far away, does anyone know what stage of decomposition the body would be in? In other words, which stage of decomposition produces the most smell? If this IS a body, the stage of decomposition could perhaps indicate if the timeframe is right for it to belong to Brittanee. Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm tired!

@Debbie: Maybe the reports are in a Google cache? Other than that, probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme