SC SC - Charleston, Wando River @ Daniel Island, Blk/UncMale 17-21, UP77018, skull in marsh, Dec'20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

victoriarobinson642

Reaction score
Demographics
Sex - Male
Race / Ethnicity - Black / African American, Uncertain
Estimated Age Group - Adult - Pre 20
Estimated Age Range (Years) - 17-21
Height - Cannot Estimate
Weight - Cannot Estimate

-

Circumstances
Type - Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found - December 29, 2020
NamUs Case Created - January 10, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found - Map
Location - Charleston, South Carolina
County - Charleston County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land - No
Circumstances of Recovery - Samaritan's found the human skull while looking for fossils in the marsh off of the Wando River next to Daniel Island.

-

Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains--
Condition of Remains - Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

-

Physical Description
Hair Color - Unknown
Eye Color - Unknown

-

The map defaults to central Charleston, but Daniel Island is pretty nearby.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.59.09 AM.png

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to add the city name, will ask mods to fix.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

UNIDENTIFIED
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP77018
Male, Multiple

Date Body Found: December 29, 2020
Location Found: Charleston, South Carolina
County: Charleston County

ME/C Case Number
2020-4279

Demographics
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity:
Black / African American, Uncertain

Estimated Age Group
Adult - Pre 20
Estimated Age Range (Years)
17-21

Height/ Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair/ Eye Color: Unknown

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: December 29, 2020
NamUs Case Created: January 11, 2021

Circumstances of Recovery
Samaritan's found the human skull while looking for fossils in the marsh off of the Wando River next to Daniel Island.

Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

An artist's reconstruction has been recently added to this Doe's NamUs page. Hopefully this helps bring more attention to his case.

The asymmetry of the crown of his skull stands out - a feature to look out for in potential missing person matches. Under Distinctive Physical Features NamUs says: "The cranial vault is slightly plagiocephalic. there is a shallow, depressed, crescent-shaped lesion on the cranial vault (1-centimeter maximum dimension) on the left frontal suture, approx. 6 centimeters from left pterion. this lesion may represent old, well-healed, blunt force trauma of an unidentified source."

Attachments

• UP77018-b.jpg
    UP77018-b.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
NamUs
NCMEC: 1426228

77018_150130.png

Unidentified Black Male

• Date Found: December 29, 2020
  • Estimated age: 17-21
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: Black
  • Hair color: Unknown
  • Eye color: Unknown
Circumstances
On December 29, 2020, the skeletal remains of an unidentified male were found in a marsh off the Wando River next to Daniel Island in Charleston, South Carolina. Only the skull was recovered. The male was determined to be African-American and between the ages of 17-21. He had been deceased for an extended period of time likely over a year.

241423697_4800151530012716_6244350514789651089_n.png

New reconstruction from the NCMEC.
Reposting reconstruction since the one in your post isn't working.
UP77018.pngUP77018 side.png

Unidentified Nameless and Never Forgotten: Who Is The Charleston John Doe?​

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=0d73Yd_0kRQh1zP00

The Charleston John DoePhoto byNCMEC

On December 29, 2020, the skull of an unidentified black male was located in a marsh next to Daniel Island, off the Wando River in Charleston, South Carolina. Although authorities searched the area extensively, no other remains were recovered.

Forensic experts concluded that the skull belonged to an African American male between 17 and 21 years old. Researchers
believe the young man had been deceased for over a year. A forensic artist for The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children created a facial reconstruction image to depict what the young man may have looked like.

The following people have been ruled out as a match for the Charleston John Doe:

Daquan Williams: 19-year-old DaQuan Williams is an aspiring musician who lived on Green Pond Highway in Walterboro, South Carolina. Daquan was last seen on January 8, 2011, near the intersection of Koth and Baker Streets in Walterboro after being shot. He has never been seen or heard from again. Daquan Williams is 6'0" and 175 pounds.

Antwon Williams: On August 25, 1998, 20-year-old Antwon Williams left the 3800 block of North Dame Court in Charleston, South Carolina driving his father's car. The car was found abandoned, later the same day, still running with the hazard lights on at the Cosgrove Bridge. Antwon has never been seen or heard from again. Antwon Williams is 5'9" and 140 pounds.

Corey Kelly: 19-year-old Corey Kelly was last seen in the 8100 block of Windsor Hill Boulevard in North Charleston, South Carolina on September 11, 2017. He spoke with his mother around 10:00 pm and has never been seen or heard from again. Corey Kelly is 5'11" and 152 pounds.

Kenneth Jenkins: On September 16, 2017, 23-year-old St Helena resident Kenneth Jenkins took a friend out for dinner. Afterward, he said he was giving another friend a ride to Ridgeland in Jasper county. The following day his vehicle was discovered with four bullet holes in the driver's side door and burned. Kenneth has never been seen or heard from again. Kenneth Jenkins is 6'1" and 165 pounds.

Tyreek Pettigrew: 20-year-old Tyreek Pettigrew was last seen at a gas station/convenience store in the 1000 block of US 17-A in Moncks Corner, South Carolina on February 22, 2018. He was driving his mother's 2007 black Nissan Infiniti G35. The vehicle was later spotted at 3:38 pm at the Janki-Mart in the 2400 block of State Road. On February 22, 2018, the car was found abandoned and burning on Cainhoy Road near Bamberg Circle in Charleston, South Carolina. Tyreek was not located, and he has never been seen or heard from again. Tyreek Pettigrew is 5'10" and 150 pounds.
Julius Gamble: 23-year-old Julius Gamble was last seen on August 28, 2014, in the Johnsonville community of Florence county. Julius was reportedly on the way to his aunt's home but never arrived. He has never been seen or heard from again. Julius Gamble is 5'7" and 155 pounds.

Kevin McClam: 14-year-old Kevin McClam lived with his family at the Charleston Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek, South Carolina. On March 30, 1997, Kevin was playing video games at home. His mother and sister went to bed around 1:00 am while Kevin continued to play. When the family woke up, Kevin was gone. Two days later, his clothing was found at a construction site near his home. Kevin has never been seen or heard from again. Kevin McClam is 5'7" and 140 pounds.

Many online sleuths speculate who the Charleston John Doe could be and why no one has claimed the unidentified young man. Is he the victim of abuse or some other heinous crime? Where are the rest of his remains?

The most confusing thing for me is how long he was dead. Based on the names on the exclusions list, it seems anywhere from 2018 to 1997! I have put together a list of men matching the description missing from South Carolina from 2018 to 1995 who I don't believe have been excluded.

Kareem Jamaal Ward|June 17, 2007|Missing 111 miles away

Elshawndrea Devon Jones|February 18, 1999|Missing 97 miles away

Dale Leary|September 1, 1999|Missing 82 miles away

Toby Jermele Bing|February 18, 1999|Missing 97 miles away

Farrika Brown|February 14, 1995|Missing 179 miles away

I will say I think Farrika is least likely here. I believe this to be the most likely PMI in terms of the exclusion list.

10 ruleouts (11 on the list but one is listed twice) - case was updated in Namus last month
1694335213472.png

The most confusing thing for me is how long he was dead. Based on the names on the exclusions list, it seems anywhere from 2018 to 1997! I have put together a list of men matching the description missing from South Carolina from 2018 to 1995 who I don't believe have been excluded.
@SimsGuy67 of your list above, two are now excluded:

Kareem Jamaal Ward|June 17, 2007|Missing 111 miles away - not excluded according to Namus

Elshawndrea Devon Jones|February 18, 1999|Missing 97 miles away - EXCLUDED

Dale Leary|September 1, 1999|Missing 82 miles away - not excluded

Toby Jermele Bing|February 18, 1999|Missing 97 miles away - EXCLUDED

Farrika Brown|February 14, 1995|Missing 179 miles away - not excluded

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members