SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think police should obey the law and their codes of conduct and be held accountable if they break those. It's a radical idea, I know.

You stop it right now with that crazy talk! :nono:

Pshaw....police obeying the law and respecting citizens' constitutional rights....you must not be from around here. ;)

Well, he's been fired from his job. It is doubtful he will face any charges but even if he does I doubt he will pay. So, with that considered, I think the firing is appropriate because it sends an important message, imo.

Agree students could have been taken out of the room and supervised. IMO this "young lady" got exactly what she deserved.

No child deserves to be brutally beaten and no child deserves to see a grown up bully beat the hell out of a fellow student. What have we come towhen we not only think this is a good thing, but also blame the victim on a forum that is VICTIM-FRIENDLY?

I just can't.......ugh

In General, Something is incredibly wrong when force has to be used to get a person to comply with a presumably polite request. A situation should never have to escalate to the level this incident did. Personally, I would have been furious with my child for being so disrespectful to the teacher and administrators. And then the LEO, his superiors, the mayor, and whoever else was so busy being right would get a load of me....

IMO I think we made the mistake of using too many Time Outs....

In General, Something is incredibly wrong when force has to be used to get a person to comply with a presumably polite request. A situation should never have to escalate to the level this incident did. Personally, I would have been furious with my child for being so disrespectful to the teacher and administrators. And then the LEO, his superiors, the mayor, and whoever else was so busy being right would get a load of me....

Not just force but POLICE force. I do not think it was appropriate to call the officer in on a situation that was not criminal. She was no threat to anyone, was not armed, was not a danger to others. She was being a brat, but committing no crime.

Well, he's been fired from his job. It is doubtful he will face any charges but even if he does I doubt he will pay. So, with that considered, I think the firing is appropriate because it sends an important message, imo.

I hope he doesn't take his anger over being fired out on someone else.

The excuses made for him in this case made chills run down my spine. And likely every victim of domestic violence felt the same. "I did not have a choice. She made me do it. She did not do what I said. I did not want to beat the hell out of her....she made me".

I am officially sick in the pit of my stomach and this thread is a huge trigger. I am horrified that anyone would applaud physical violence as an answer to a non-violent issue with a CHILD. An effing CHILD.

God save us all.

I wonder how furious her mother is going to be with her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah--looks like she hit at him, while the desk was turning over.

Looked to me like she extended her arm--hit or tried to push him--but it was after he put his hands on her.

I can't fault her if she hit or tried to push him away after he grabbed her.

As a parent, do you believe the same? As a parent, if you were facing a defiant child would you let it play out and try to address the situation at a different time? (I am always a little surprised at how I come across in internet forums, because my family and friends have been a bit aghast at how permissive I was with my kids, and how I never punished them. Other kids were grounded, put in time out, and I usually opted to just try to reason with them. So.)

Sometimes, you just have to fall back on "because I said so". We're going to get in the car and leave the pool because I said so. You're not spending your allowance on a bic lighter because I said so. You're taking that facebook post making fun of the teacher off your wall because I said so. These are all three things that come to the top of my head that "I said so" and I don't care if it causes a confrontation and "loss of face", I said so and that's the way it is.

So, in those situations, do you not see the value in drawing a line in the sand right now, no negotiations, I said so?

Or how about teaching respect for others by modeling it?

I would imagine that these types of power struggles happen every single day in every school in America. IMO No one was right in this situation. Which begs the question: Do we ignore the behavior or address the behavior? Like picking and choosing your battles with your kids. I am not a teacher, but I am a parent of 3 young adults and I have had my share of power struggles, especially with my middle daughter while in high school. She plucked every last nerve of mine at the time, however she was not rude nor non compliant in school. How do you deal with the behavior when it is not your child? And in a school setting? Obviously, what was on video was not the way to handle anything.

She was also new to the school. There is no way that admin didn't know all these stressful life events in this child's life.
Did he even bother to quickly look at her file before dropping in to rescue the math teacher.

Officer is not the only one who should be fired.

I hope he doesn't take his anger over being fired out on someone else.

The excuses made for him in this case made chills run down my spine. And likely every victim of domestic violence felt the same. "I did not have a choice. She made me do it. She did not do what I said. I did not want to beat the hell out of her....she made me".

I am officially sick in the pit of my stomach and this thread is a huge trigger. I am horrified that anyone would applaud physical violence as an answer to a non-violent issue with a CHILD. An effing CHILD.

God save us all.

Thank you. I do see a lot of abuser excuses here. And I wondered about too.. What if this child had been a victim previously? What if she has PTSD? (She will now, probably.) What about the inner damage this violent incident caused?

Not just force but POLICE force. I do not think it was appropriate to call the officer in on a situation that was not criminal. She was no threat to anyone, was not armed, was not a danger to others. She was being a brat, but committing no crime.

Apparently, under some vague law in SC, it is a crime to be disruptive in class. I think one of the definitions was being "obnoxious". That's pretty disturbing. Might as well build prisons next to high schools because that's the path some young people are being guided down.

I have to disagree here.
Thre are emergency situations Where a child should comply because they have understood from life lessons that when their mother screams "get out of the road now" it is not a time to ask why.

Imo your other examples of "because I said so" were prime opportunities to teach your child critical thinking skills so they would make your same decision in the future on their own.

ITA. Teachable moments,

And those of us who take that time, teach our children to use their words, to not hit or hurts others.

And when an adult throws a big ole fit because a teenager is being a teenager, and makes a total jackanapes of himself and horrifically abuses a minor, that negates all the decent parenting in the world.

The children learn that fists are better than words.

I think this "officer" is scum. At least he behaved that way. Shame on him.

He could have just dragged the chair, with the student in it, out into the hall. Then at least, the class could have continued. Any administrative punishment could have been applied (suspension, whatever) without manhandling her.

This story would be very different if she had sustained, for example, a broken neck.

Keep in mind that she was being disrespectful and disobedient, not threatening or endangering her classmates or teacher.

Glad the bully was fired.

I was in a classroom once years ago where the teacher did just that! Disruptive student spent the rest of class time out in the hall and class went on without him.

I think it would have been very easy for the teacher or other administrator to have handled this that same way but even if they went as far as to call police in, the officer could have done this, easy peasy, and he would have come away respected and still have his job. I think he knew he could have done that, too, just chose not to. His anger dictated his actions, imo.

Apparently, under some vague law in SC, it is a crime to be disruptive in class. I think one of the definitions was being "obnoxious". That's pretty disturbing. Might as well build prisons next to high schools because that's the path some young people are being guided down.

If all she did as peek at a cell phone, that hardly qualifies as disruptive in my book. And definitely not criminal.

I think teacher should have said something to her once and then let it go. This seems to me as a situation where it took two to tango...meaning, I do not think student was disruptive but rather the disruption occurred as a result of poor handling of the situation. I say this based on information I have of the entire situation from start to end but will concede that I do not know all of what occurred prior to the officer being called in.

U

As a teacher I loved that article. Good old long form journalism too. I find that the longer I teach (29 years at last count), the less conventionally "strict" I am. Kids, even the seemingly incorrigible ones, respond to compassion, efforts to understand, and, yes, discipline. But they don't seem to respond to assertions of absolute authority. Whether they "should" or not is immaterial in the moment, when you are losing control of a classroom.
As much as possible I practice preventive discipline. For example, I hung a shoe holder with clear pockets on the inside of the door. The students drop their cell phone into their designated pocket when they enter the classroom. I put things in the pockets that they take out when they deposit their cellphone. Sometimes just a Hershey Kiss or such, but sometimes a note of encouragement, a congratulations for a big effort, or an expression of concern. Also reinforcement of any trait that I know will be valuable to happiness and success as an adult but might not seem desirable in high school.
This has served me well and I have had so many students come back and thank me later. My stress levels have gone way down too. Win win! I will be saving this article and looking into these methods further.

I am a teacher, too. And I approach my children who are exhibiting "negative" behaviors in a way that encourages response rather than reaction.

IOW, going on the offensive straight out will ensure the child becomes defensive. I am on the same team as my kiddos. My job is to work WITH them to help them be independent, successful adults. If I beat them down and always assume negative intent on their parts, I am teaching them that they are not worthy of making good choices for themselves. Part of learning to make good choices is making bad ones.

But being physically battered because of a poor choice? That teaches nothing but violent means to a non-violent situation.

We are such a violent, disgusting society. Why? It has done nothing but make us worse.

Is it a crime in SC for a student only...or for anyone? I mean, could a teacher be charged with a crime under that law?

I am not saying this teacher should or should not be...just wondering if that SC law applies to everyone in the classroom.

There have been many comments in this thread about how the student was disrupting the class, was interfering with the other students' right to learn, as if the SRO's extremely violent actions toward a student who refused to leave the classroom are justified. There have been comments about how this student needed to be forcefully taken out of the classroom so the math lesson could continue.

Question: How much mathematical instruction and/or learning does anyone think took place after this violent incident occurred?

My best guess: Zero.

I would also venture to guess that the learning environment in that particular classroom may have been adversely affected for quite some time. Not only did that particular student not deserve to be treated in such a violent manner, none of the other students in that classroom deserved to be subjected to witnessing such brutality in their classroom.

Was the student in the wrong in failing to abide by the school policy? Yes. Was the student in the wrong by refusing to leave the classroom when asked to do so by her teacher & vice principal? Yes.

Did the student deserve to be treated like a violent, dangerous criminal when she was grabbed around the neck and wrestled to the floor by the SRO? Hell no.

Did the SRO deserve to be fired? Hell yes. I also think he deserves to be criminally prosecuted for assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe