SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Thanks for the link, probably too far back in time, but Jesse Matthews comes to mind, are there others who operated the same way, ie. stalking students leaving concerts and clubs?
Lots of mysterious disappearances listed, from the link a summary of this case.
Dail Dinwiddie, then 23, was a bright, young student who went missing on September 24, 1992. She had just completed an art history degree at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, VA (now Randolph College), and returned to her native Columbia, SC to enroll at the University of South Carolina for graduate school. She took a night off from her studies to attend a U2 concert with some friends at Williams-Brice Stadium. Following the concert, they went to Jungle Jim's, a local bar, where Dail somehow got separated from the group. That was the last time anyone reportedly saw her. A $20,000 reward is offered by her family for information about her disappearance. If you have any information about what may have happened to Dail, please contact the Columbia Police Department at (803) 233-8474.

Dail's appearance reminds me of missing since 1995 Minnesota anchorwoman, Jodi Huisentruit, coincidentally, Dail babysat for an anchorwoman in SC.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...8afdac-073f-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html

September 25 2012
I’ve written variations of this column a couple of times over the past 20 years, but certain occasions bear revisiting — and surely the disappearance of a friend is one.

Dail Dinwiddie was my son’s babysitter/nanny when she vanished on Sept. 24, 1992. He was 8 and she was 23. He’s now five years older than she was then — and Dail would be 43. Police in Columbia, S.C., where she disappeared, recently released an updated photograph showing how they imagine Dail would look today, based in part on how her parents and brother have aged.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/20-years-later-tv-anchor-jodi-huisentruit-still-missing/
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ntruit-27-Mason-City-27-June-1995-Anchorwoman
IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

http://www.thestate.com/news/special-reports/state-125/article54456575.html

"It has been 23 years since University of South Carolina student Dail Dinwiddie disappeared from Five Points into seemingly thin air.

Her case has never been solved.

On Sept. 24, 1992, Dinwiddie, then 23, and friends attended a U2 concert at Williams-Brice Stadium. They then went to Five Points to continue their night in the popular student-entertainment district. At 2:30 a.m., a bouncer at then-Jungle Jims, now renamed The Horseshoe, recalled seeing Dinwiddie leave the bar in a rush.

The girl wearing a forest green pullover, blue jeans and tennis shoes vanished...."

The thing that really stands out to me is that she left her purse behind at the bar. I will admit I do not drink and cannot for sure say what one would do if one were drunk, but I cannot imagine leaving my purse behind anywhere. Ever.

So if her purse was still at the bar, and the only person who supposedly saw her leave was the bouncer...I wonder if she actually left? What do you all think? Would you leave your purse behind?

I am from SC (though I live in California now), and am about the same age as Dail, and was attending USC and living in the area at the time. Her cause has always stuck with me. My aunt is friends with her parents, and I cannot imagine how hard this is on them.

So what about asking Forest Acres for a list of Building Officials with a FOIA request maybe?

In all that I have read, it was said her bed was not slept in, not unmade.

Last post...and I see I should have replied with quote in the others and did not, but hopefully they still make sense. According to this article, the cops have three main suspects:

http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article14408057.html

They seem to be fairly sure who did it, they just don't have proof. I feel for her family, never having closure.

Apparently donnieatlex is/was a "Building Official" for Forest acres, you can see his comment made on another comment forum here: http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=66503&catid=2

Mmmmm, interesting! A Building official, someone that has the ability to oversee foundations???? Just a thought!!!

Is there a date he posted this? I was thinking of maybe filing a FOIA request with Forest Acres for a list of people who worked in their building/planning area. As public employees, it should be available. I would want to ask for a date rage...or the last 40 years maybe. What do y'all think?

Monika

The thing that really stands out to me is that she left her purse behind at the bar. I will admit I do not drink and cannot for sure say what one would do if one were drunk, but I cannot imagine leaving my purse behind anywhere. Ever.

So if her purse was still at the bar, and the only person who supposedly saw her leave was the bouncer...I wonder if she actually left? What do you all think? Would you leave your purse behind?

I am from SC (though I live in California now), and am about the same age as Dail, and was attending USC and living in the area at the time. Her cause has always stuck with me. My aunt is friends with her parents, and I cannot imagine how hard this is on them.

Even the most intoxicated woman would not leave her purse behind, imo
The exception would be if one was running outside to grab someone they knew to join them at the bar, or if they received a call that someone nearby outside was in distress, OR, if someone just entered, or was suddenly noticed in the bar, that terrified them enough to run away.
imo, speculation.

still missing: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...ssing-america-65-people-still-missing-n691281

Dail Dinwiddie, was just 23 years old when she went missing on September 24, 1992. She would now be 47. She had just completed an art history degree at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, VA (now Randolph College), and returned to her native Columbia, SC to enroll at the University of South Carolina for graduate school. The night she went missing, she had attended a U2 concert with some friends at Williams-Brice stadium. After the concert, the friends went to a local bar called Jungle Jim's, now renamed The Horseshoe. Dail somehow got separated from the group and was never seen again, despite many extensive searches. Her case is the oldest on the Columbia Police Department's books.

Dail's case is always on my mind. I remember watching the news coverage. I listen to true crime podcasts all the time and I wish Dail's case would get coverage. 23 years is a long time for her family to wait for answers!

Bumping
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...till-vexes-family-friends-20-years-later.html
Someone reading this knows someone who knows something that could bring peace to the Dinwiddies. Perhaps, even you?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 995767.jpg
    995767.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 143

I know people who've left behind purses, credit cards, jackets, etc. while out drinking. I personally have forgotten my stuff when stone-cold sober so it's possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back