SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From article by FITS News today on this raid and arrest:

“Many Columbia residents have viewed (Harry)Gregory as a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of 23-year-old art student Dail Dinwiddie from outside a downtown dive bar nearly three decades ago. In fact, his name was bandied about last fall when it appeared as though there was a new break in the case.”

It also says their sources told them this was not related to Dail Dinwiddie, but the story is considered to be “developing”.

It’s probably too much to hope this is related to DD’s disappearance, but I do find it interesting that the charges he was arrested for are almost 20 years ago, and they are awful charges. But it sounds like they are tearing this guys house apart. What can you hope to find 20 years later? Perhaps they’re looking for something more. I know, wishful thinking.

This attorney was arrested this morning on lewd acts on a minor.
I just saw that!! I haven’t seen his name come up in the investigation before; has anyone come across his name?

I wonder if he is connected to any of the people who have been mentioned; or if he knew Dail.

It bothers me that they seemed so adamant that it had nothing to do with that case...almost like they know and they are in on it or ashamed? I don’t know, but it’s very fishy.

Let me know if anyone is able to find information about him and connections!

From article by FITS News today on this raid and arrest:

“Many Columbia residents have viewed (Harry)Gregory as a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of 23-year-old art student Dail Dinwiddie from outside a downtown dive bar nearly three decades ago. In fact, his name was bandied about last fall when it appeared as though there was a new break in the case.”

It also says their sources told them this was not related to Dail Dinwiddie, but the story is considered to be “developing”.

It’s probably too much to hope this is related to DD’s disappearance, but I do find it interesting that the charges he was arrested for are almost 20 years ago, and they are awful charges. But it sounds like they are tearing this guys house apart. What can you hope to find 20 years later? Perhaps they’re looking for something more. I know, wishful thinking.

Didn’t that victim mention that years ago, so why an arrest now?!
Right, I’m sure he destroyed any evidence so I’m very curious as to what they were looking for or found.
They mentioned he was friends with one of the bartenders...someone mentioned years ago that this could have been an inside job and planned by some of the people who were there/worked there.
That bar is not far from that intersection at all to just lose her.

Didn’t that victim mention that years ago, so why an arrest now?!
Right, I’m sure he destroyed any evidence so I’m very curious as to what they were looking for or found.
They mentioned he was friends with one of the bartenders...someone mentioned years ago that this could have been an inside job and planned by some of the people who were there/worked there.
That bar is not far from that intersection at all to just lose her.

FITS News has an article today making an attempt to clarify what’s going on here with Gregory and a possible connection to DD. It’s a strange article in that their take is all the talk in the last few days is just talk, just rumor, just speculation. But they also seem to relate that there is an undercurrent of something more here, unsaid by LE, they just aren’t sure what it is.
My own thoughts are I think it’s worth paying attention to. I might be wrong but to my knowledge this is the first time that anyone has been mentioned, by name, as a possible POI in Dali’s disappearance. Granted, it’s by media and not LE, but we’ve never even had that before! The apparent fact(from FITS News article) that he was talked about way back then by people in the area as someone to look into, and here he is again, he frequented Jungle Jim’s back then, knew the bartender, lived close by, domestic violence, called a sadist, the “overkill” way he was arrested, etc, is enough to keep me looking at it.

Dail Dinwiddie Disappearance: Separating Fact From Rumor

SqrQn29, like you, my mouth dropped open when the article mentioned Gregory was friends with one of the bartenders there. That was always a sketchy part of the story to me. It definitely makes you think now.

Edit: typo

FITS News has an article today making an attempt to clarify what’s going on here with Gregory and a possible connection to DD. It’s a strange article in that their take is all the talk in the last few days is just talk, just rumor, just speculation. But they also seem to relate that there is an undercurrent of something more here, unsaid by LE, they just aren’t sure what it is.
My own thoughts are I think it’s worth paying attention to. I might be wrong but to my knowledge this is the first time that anyone has been mentioned, by name, as a possible POI in Dali’s disappearance. Granted, it’s by media and not LE, but we’ve never even had that before! The apparent fact(from FITS News article) that he was talked about way back then by people in the area as someone to look into, and here he is again, he frequented Jungle Jim’s back then, knew the bartender, lived close by, domestic violence, called a sadist, the “overkill” way he was arrested, etc, is enough to keep me looking at it.

hmmm almost as if someone got a little too close for comfort with posting their opinions? Interesting. I read it this morning; a lot of “perhaps” type comments.

I am also going to try and compile all the connections and post them to see if we can put some dots together!

SqrQn29, like you, my mouth dropped open when the article mentioned Gregory was friends with one of the bartenders there. That was always a sketchy part of the story to me. It definitely makes you think now.

Edit: typo
Yep! And the bartender was friends with the bouncer I believe; who didn’t see her friends walk out and just let her walk up the street alone...not to mention the full content of the 15 minutes hasn’t really been talked about or readily available.

Going from memory...There was another person called a POI several years ago. He was a convicted serial killer whose name escapes me. He is either dead or still incarcerated. I will try to find his name.

Going from memory...There was another person called a POI several years ago. He was a convicted serial killer whose name escapes me. He is either dead or still incarcerated. I will try to find his name.

Yes, I forgot about him. He’s name is Ray Rivera. I think he’s still alive and in jail but I haven’t checked. He confessed to some other killings in Georgia but not to DD’s disappearance. I guess LE didn’t have much evidence on him but I always thought he was a good suspect.

I don’t believe it was him. He confessed to many I believe, so even though he can’t be trustworthy, I don’t know why he would leave out Dail and Paula. They are usually quite proud and I think there would be more of a lead or investigation if they really thought it was him.

Okay yall, I have tried to type up things I have read. Its quite a long list so I will separate it into two posts. I will try to add to it if I can find more detail other places. Details about this case are hard to come by. I don't know if some places would still have newspaper articles from 1992 or even a few years after but that might help.

Several mentions of severe asthma
Purse left in bar
No inhaler

Two guys she was seen walking with
Johnson Cox
Profession: Lawyer?
Mention in an article from The State in 2017 that per Johnson Cox, he remembers exchanging a smile with her when he left.
Wasn’t he in the “group” that hadn’t seen her in like 30 minutes and left thinking she got a ride?

Tim Hagood
Profession:
Bouncer’s name: Jeff Peterman
Bartender’s names who were present?
How does one of them know Harry Gregory?

Gregory lives off Windsor Rd in Forest Acres
Dail’s parents live in Forest Aces?
Where?
Close to Windsor?

Where did Gregory’s parents live?
Do Dail or her parents have any connection to Gregory?

Police chief in 1997
Charles Austin
Any connection to Gregory or SLED?
What was he doing in 1992?

What was Leon Lotts’ job in 1992?
Any connection to Gregory?
Any connection to narcs?
Any connection to SLED?
Db3354 on websleuths seems to think Lott may know something

Drew, brother, lives in Florida (as of 1997 article)
Any friends at the time connected to POI’s?
He was younger but maybe his friends had siblings that were involved?

An article from 1997 (TheState) said per the bouncer “she ran across the parking lot up Harden towards Greene.
Intersection is not that far away.
Didn’t keep an eye on her
No one around the area saw her after…
Mentioned somewhere that she ran down Harden towards another bar, but I have consistently seen “up towards Greene.”
Bouncer said she walked down Harden; back into bar; then left up Harden
He said she didn’t appear drunk or high

How close was she to these friends?
She had just moved back recently
What friends just assume a petite female got a ride home and leaves?
Did the rest of them leave together?
There isn’t much mention of these friends in years following

Dick Harpootlian
5th circuit solicitor at the time (1992)
What’s his role in the current arrest?
Any connection to SLED or narc officers at the time?

Mark Vinson
Involved in police department in 2006-can't remember role
Role since? Any?

Harold Chambers and Jerry Britt
Chief Columbia detectives at the time
Do they still work for the department?
Would they share insight?

The State article (from 1997) mentions interviewing 32 people…again…
Which 32?
Did stories changed?

Allen Sloan
Richland County Sheriff from 1997

Donnieatlex
He seems to be adamant he knows who did it and knows the story
Building official in Forest Acres
Is he db3354 on websleuths?
Hasn’t commented on websleuths in years (2014)
He seems to believe Sheriff Sloan knows

Mentioned something about the POI is the prime suspect in Paula Merchant case
Info on that case or who was involved with investigation?

State building on corner of Hampton and Harden
Saw someone post that it was under construction at the time (Rita Schueler(?))
Did they check that area?
Why wouldn’t they?

Wando street was mentioned
Man living with his mother after his father, doctor, passed away
Claims to be a good golfer

Mention of Waccamaw street

Mention of South Santee- people who live off that street may know something

These streets are closer to Rosewood and Five Points then Forest Acres so what could the connection be to Gregory?

A woman’s mom told her that her husband (so the father of the person posting) mentioned something about SLED officers being involved
Context of Things article

Recent arrest
Sounds very familiar to the post back in 2016 (or maybe 2014).
Why is the arrest happening now? Out of the blue?
Was he going to leak information?
Did someone else come forward?

That is a really nice collection of information on this case, Sqr! I need some time to look through it closely. I know I’ll have some questions!
Thanks! Sounds good! I read after I posted yesterday that Harold Chambers is dead :( died back in early 2000s I believe. I’m sure he shared insight with someone he mentored.

I haven’t seen another mention of Jerry Britt.

My mom sent me a big box of books for my birthday and the first one I chose was Good Girls Lie by JT Ellison. It was a really, really good book and I, devouring it within days, finished it just last week. It was published in 2019.

I'm so glad I read all the way through the acknowledgments at the very end. The second to last paragraph is dedicated to Dail. Apparently she and Dail were friends at college and the author notes it was odd that she was actually writing the dedication on the anniversary of her disappearance. She gives a list of contacts for submitting tips.

I wonder how many other people read that far down and had already heard about Dail's disappearance? I was like *whoa* and I'm sure everyone who is here would be surprised too! I'm so glad more info is trickling out, and it's apparent that so many people are still looking for her. Let this be the year!

Okay yall, I have tried to type up things I have read. Its quite a long list so I will separate it into two posts. I will try to add to it if I can find more detail other places. Details about this case are hard to come by. I don't know if some places would still have newspaper articles from 1992 or even a few years after but that might help.

Several mentions of severe asthma
Purse left in bar
No inhaler

Two guys she was seen walking with
Johnson Cox
Profession: Lawyer?
Mention in an article from The State in 2017 that per Johnson Cox, he remembers exchanging a smile with her when he left.
Wasn’t he in the “group” that hadn’t seen her in like 30 minutes and left thinking she got a ride?

Tim Hagood
Profession:
Bouncer’s name: Jeff Peterman
Bartender’s names who were present?
How does one of them know Harry Gregory?

Gregory lives off Windsor Rd in Forest Acres
Dail’s parents live in Forest Aces?
Where?
Close to Windsor?

Where did Gregory’s parents live?
Do Dail or her parents have any connection to Gregory?

Police chief in 1997
Charles Austin
Any connection to Gregory or SLED?
What was he doing in 1992?

Any connection to narcs?
Any connection to SLED?
Db3354 on websleuths seems to think Lott may know something

Drew, brother, lives in Florida (as of 1997 article)
Any friends at the time connected to POI’s?
He was younger but maybe his friends had siblings that were involved?

An article from 1997 (TheState) said per the bouncer “she ran across the parking lot up Harden towards Greene.
Intersection is not that far away.
Didn’t keep an eye on her
No one around the area saw her after…
Mentioned somewhere that she ran down Harden towards another bar, but I have consistently seen “up towards Greene.”
Bouncer said she walked down Harden; back into bar; then left up Harden
He said she didn’t appear drunk or high

How close was she to these friends?
She had just moved back recently
What friends just assume a petite female got a ride home and leaves?
Did the rest of them leave together?
There isn’t much mention of these friends in years following

Dick Harpootlian
5th circuit solicitor at the time (1992)
What’s his role in the current arrest?
Any connection to SLED or narc officers at the time?

Mark Vinson
Involved in police department in 2006-can't remember role
Role since? Any?

Harold Chambers and Jerry Britt
Chief Columbia detectives at the time
Do they still work for the department?
Would they share insight?

Just bouncing off some thoughts and answers to the above:

Harry Gregory lived a 4 minute drive and about a 10-15 min walk from Dail's parents' house.

Leon Lott started with the Richland County Sheriff's Department in 1975 and worked his way up. He left Richland County in 1993* and served as Chief of Police in St. Matthews, SC for a couple of years. He successfully ran for Richland County Sheriff in 1996 and has been the Sheriff ever since. His profile on the RCSD website says that between 1975 and 1993 he served in various positions, including "Criminal Investigator, Narcotics Agent, Lieutenant and Captain of Narcotics Division, Administrative Captain, Uniform Patrol Captain, and Watch Commander." I'd guess he was in one of those positions prior to taking the job in St. Matthew's. I've read a lot about him working Narcotics and being heavily involved in that prior to becoming Sheriff, but I saw this quote in the article* linked below:

"Harpootlian was so concerned about Lott's judgment at the time that he announced he would review all his drug deals and recommended to Sloan that Lott be taken out of narcotics enforcement. Sloan moved him to what Lott calls a do-nothing administrative position, where he stayed until he was fired in December 1992."*

*Sheriff Lott back in the day

By the way, it's not available anywhere online in a simple list, so here are all the Richland County Sheriffs from the last 50 years:

Frank Powell (served as sheriff from 1969-1988, died in 2001)
Allen Sloan (served as Sheriff from 1989-1995, also died in 2001)
Leon Lott (1996-present)

BTW: The last I heard, Andrew Dinwiddie was living in the Atlanta area.

Glad to find the thread on Dail Dinwiddie. I live just outside of Columbia now and was living in a small town about 30 miles from Columbia when Dail disappeared. She had just gone missing when my then-fiancé and I took my daughters to a festival on the grounds of a historic house in Columbia, and posters with Dail's picture were everywhere. The case made a big impression on my oldest daughter who was 9 yo at the time. I've been reading the thread and a couple of things said herein strike me as wrong, the number one thing is saying LE knew and were hiding/ignoring the perp. Believe me, I know about corruption in LE and Columbia has it's share of bad guys, but it doesn't make sense to cover up in this case. If they had done nothing at all, I might entertain the idea, but they have actually spent a lot of time and resources on Dail's case. Now, there are some circumstances where I might believe LE covered up, for example, if the perp was an athlete at USC, but no one has ever had any suggestion that might be the case. There's been a lot of discussion about the area being sketchy. It is and it was back then, too. I don't have a problem walking around in the Harden Street area in the daytime, but I would not do the same at night, especially the sections of Harden from the intersection at Gervais down and from Green Street on up. I think Dail did get snatched and probably killed. Someone could have dragged her into a van or a car. I'm sure there were cars parked in every available space that night. I don't think she had a reason to want to run away, and she was 23, had been to college out of state, so she was old enough to leave home without resorting to running away and not telling her family where she was. Of the few POIs mentioned, I think Rivera is the most likely, but with no body, no evidence and no confession, there's nothing to go on. Dail is probably still in the area, they just haven't found her. I think she was grabbed and was killed or may have died because of her asthma or other condition, in which case the perp hid or dumped her. The perp could have dumped her body in the river from the bridge on I-126 or nearby Elmwood Cemetery, but I think her body has been hidden in someone's house or yard. I hope Dail's family will one day learn what happened to her and can find peace.

Does anyone else have thoughts/speculation about the likeliest circumstances of her death and the disposal of her body? I wonder if we can speculate on this based solel

Just bouncing off some thoughts and answers to the above:

Harry Gregory lived a 4 minute drive and about a 10-15 min walk from Dail's parents' house.

*snipped a little

Thanks for this information. I was wondering where exactly he lived in connection to where supposedly DD trying to walk to that night.

I don’t know if I understand all the focus on Lott in your post. Do you think he was part of the narcotics informer rumor/theory that was protecting an informer. He certainly was a glitzy guy back then and there is no doubt he likes the spotlight. But I can’t imagine he would have been holding back all these years, hiding stuff on this case. I can’t imagine a bigger spotlight than the one that will shine on whoever is sheriff and announces an arrest in this case.

I dug around after my original post and found some more information.

Any connection to narcs?
Narcotics Agent
Chief of Narcotins Division
1993- Chief of Police of St.Mathews
*Which is all mentioned above in the response along with more good information.

Wando street was mentioned
By donnieatlex
Donnieatlex says this guy was an informant for Richland, Lexington, and Horry County narcotics
Suspected man’s mom lives on Wando

Old tunnel system under Five Points?
Name was spelled wrong “Dale”- significance?
Myspace Willie comments?

Old tunnel system under Five Points? Name was spelled wrong “Dale”- significance?

Myspace Willie comments? Makes a comment about Edisto Ave being the most beautiful place? Apparently, it runs parallel to Harden He mentions Waccamaw being a close second.
Apparently, that is between Harden and Edisto. Significance? How far to Wando? Could this guy know the narcs informant?

The myspace and Donnie articles say “page not found.” Anyone else able to find them? Donnieatlex stated that he was told they would never find her because they were getting ready to pour concrete over her. Prominent position in CPD with political connections. Conversation was Christmas 1992; at a family gathering She did get a ride. He spoke with Kristen Foundation. Past articles around this time frame? He talked to detective…who was the detective on the case in 2014? Mark Vinson…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebsDaughter
Back