Found Deceased SC - David Oakley, 37, Anderson, 31 May 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is all so confusing :-/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

So someone stole his SIM card? Or it didn't have one to begin with? Yep, confusing.

Normally I start where the person was last seen and KNOWN to be. That's the GF house....his car could have been dumped by anyone.

This is all so confusing :-/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Indeed. Still reading.

ETA I know this has been posted before but I wonder why investigators initially believe he was in Townville?

Investigators said that initially, Oakley was thought to have been last seen in Townville, but they later learned he was last seen at the home of his girlfriend on Cherokee Circle in Anderson at about 8:30 p.m.
http://www.wyff4.com/article/mystery-surrounds-disappearance-of-upstate-man/10011659

Hmmm... Weird about the no sim card thing. I wasn't sure if you could use a phone without a sim card so I googled and found this guide on how to use an Iphone or Android without a sim card: http://www.techbout.com/use-iphone-android-phone-without-phone-number-17437/

According to that, you can skip the sim card on an Android. For an Iphone to work you have to have a sim card initially-- either borrowed or used or a cheap plan. The borrowing a sim card is the most interesting idea, IMO. Maybe David borrowed one to set up his phone OR maybe someone else "borrowed" (i.e. stole) his sim card just to set up their phone and that is why it was switched to Spanish? IDK.

I think whatever happened, happened right there where his car was found, on his way back to his girlfriends house. Either he had car trouble or he stopped to help someone else who pretended to have car trouble, but was up to no good. I am more inclined to believe he had car trouble (hazard lights were on) and someone(s) saw an easy target driving a BMW. They offered to give him a ride?

But I can't figure something out ... If he had car trouble, why didn't he text his girlfriend that he would be running late? Why didn't he call a tow truck?

There are gaping holes in the whole situation.

bbm - see StirFridays' post #14 for a map. His car was found nowhere near the route that would have taken him back to his gf's home.

He was either on his way elsewhere, or was taken there against his will, or he was not in the car at all.

I'm not sure if you can make a call or text without a SIM card. If not, WHY did he go home to get a useless phone?

He went home to get his phone and appeared to be heading back to his girlfriends house when whatever happened, happened. His phone would have been on him at that point (useless maybe?) but a perp took it from him and changed settings to Spanish ... maybe sold it or just ditched it.

ETA: I just saw the post that his car was headed in the opposite direction of girlfriends house. That presents a bunch of scenarios ... none of them good.

bbm Maybe he had files on the phone that were important to him and which he needed that night?

If someone wanted to get rid of his vehicle, would they leave it in such a highly visible place? I'm not sure.
I get the feeling that he may have gone to see someone on his trip to or from his home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. Still reading.

ETA I know this has been posted before but I wonder why investigators initially believe he was in Townville?

Investigators said that initially, Oakley was thought to have been last seen in Townville, but they later learned he was last seen at the home of his girlfriend on Cherokee Circle in Anderson at about 8:30 p.m.
http://www.wyff4.com/article/mystery-surrounds-disappearance-of-upstate-man/10011659

To me it sounds like maybe LE initially thought he'd left to go to Townsville, but later discovered he was at his gf's house? Maybe it wasn't his original plan to see the gf that night so no one knew he was there until the gf spoke up?

Idk I'm totally & utterly confused on this one.

Did he & the gf have a fight? Break-up that night?
I'm getting deja vu of Brandon Lawson's case, only thing missing is the mysterious 911 call.

Just my random thoughts & opinions...

Yes, it really is weird. If all of the information is coming from the GF, I'd look hard there first.

Was he seen leaving her house that night?
Was anyone else at her house as a witness?
Did he ever make it home that night? Did anyone see him arrive home?

And can a phone ping with no SIM card? I swear the SIM card thing is just so bizarre, it really throws things off for me. Probably because I thought a phone was useless without one. But I'm 0% techie ... so there is that.

The no sim card sounds like a prepaid or burner phone which cannot be tracked.

Are there any other pictures of David? Does he have any Tattoos or distinguishing marks?

Oakley is 5-feet-7 and weighs 135 pounds.
He has brown hair and green eyes. He was last seen wearing khaki shorts and a T-shirt.

http://www.independentmail.com/story/news/local/2017/06/12/townville-man-missing/390485001/

BBM. I'd really like to see a recent picture of him because based on that one pic his weight is WAY off and so is his height. JMO.

This is an arrest record for him from 2012: https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/david_wayne_oakley_id_6491268.html

According to that he was 175 lbs and 6 feet tall. I get that some people are bad at guessing weight, and it can vary depending on muscle mass, build, etc. He also *could* have lost weight since that arrest. But how do you mistake a 6 ft tall man for 5' 7" ? :confused:

BBM. I'd really like to see a recent picture of him because based on that one pic his weight is WAY off and so is his height. JMO.

This is an arrest record for him from 2012: https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/david_wayne_oakley_id_6491268.html

According to that he was 175 lbs and 6 feet tall. I get that some people are bad at guessing weight, and it can vary depending on muscle mass, build, etc. He also *could* have lost weight since that arrest. But how do you mistake a 6 ft tall man for 5' 7" ? :confused:
Usually it is a man saying he is taller than he really is...one country singer comes to mind.

Perhaps they got the info off his driver license provided as accurately as he could at the time and never changed it...sadly my weight has gone up and I do add a pound or two when renewing. : )

ETA or...since it seems I went in the completely opposite direction in my post.

[h=1]$500 reward for missing man David Oakley from Anderson[/h]
oakley-flyer.jpg

http://wspa.com/2017/07/03/help-find-missing-man-david-oakley-from-anderson/

[h=3]Reward now offered to find Upstate man after disappearance, car found along I-85[/h]
ANDERSON, SC (FOX Carolina) - The Anderson County Sheriff's Office said $500 is now being offered for information leading to the whereabouts of 37-year-old David Oakley.
Investigators with Anderson Police Department said after Oakley vanished, an automated voicemail greeting on his cellphone was changed to Spanish. Relatives later said the SIM card was removed from the phone the night before he went missing and they do not believe it is connected to his disappearance.

Oakley is described as 6 feet, 1 inch tall and 180 pounds. He was last seen wearing khaki shorts and a t-shirt.
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/35...-man-after-disappearance-car-found-along-i-85

Notice his height and weight have been updated by the police. Also the reward is by the police.

BBM. Did we know the sim card was removed only the night before he went missing? That seems like a new detail to me. :thinking:

Usually it is a man saying he is taller than he really is...one country singer comes to mind.

Perhaps they got the info off his driver license provided as accurately as he could at the time and never changed it...sadly my weight has gone up and I do add a pound or two when renewing. : )

ETA or...since it seems I went in the completely opposite direction in my post.

They usually measure you when you are arrested (not that I know from experience, I just always see them standing next to the height numbers in mugshots). Anyway police updated his height and weight and I think the 6'1" is more likely accurate. It seems like the 5' 7" was an error in the early reporting or it came from family/friends. Maybe someone who is a bad judge of height/weight made the report? :thinking:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back