GUILTY SC - Devon Epps, 7, murdered, Greenville, 12 Aug 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good catch, richandfamous. IF that's her name, I found this posted in the 7/13/07 edition of the Independent Mail news for Anderson County:
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2007/jul/13/anderson-county-arrest-records-incident-reports/

- divorce decree

Amanda Epps vs. James Mark Epps

Is Greenville in Anderson County?

Could be related, might not be. Just posting info.

I think Greenville is in Greenville County but Anderson is close by. Will check to make sure. My family is from the area.

Found this on Anderson county:

The county, with a population approaching 180,000 has 777 square miles and includes the cities of Belton, Honea Path, Iva, Pelzer, Pendleton, Starr, West Pelzer and Williamston. Clemson University is just 20 minutes from the city of Anderson, offering a wide variety of sports as well as cultural and educational opportunities. Anderson County is a progressive, growing community filled with friendly people who welcome newcomers with characteristic Southern hospitality.

http://www.andersoncountysc.org/

Anderson County is not far from Greenville as you can see from this map:

http://www.sciway.net/maps/cnty/anderson.html

According to the news forum, the mother and son are caucasian, so I'll have to edit my posts.

The forum has had visits from several of her "friends" but they aren't doing her any good. Supposedly they all heard the story from one person, but they all have different information about the case! If you are interested, check it out.

http://forums.greenvilleonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=13763

The man told the mother to get out of the car, Hildebrand said. He locked himself in the car with the boy and put a pillow over the boy's face, he said.

The mother struggled to get inside the car, Hildebrand said. Once she did, she suffered non-life-threatening injuries to her arm, he said, and was treated at Greenville Memorial Hospital.

An autopsy Monday found that Epps died of asphyxia due to neck compression, said Greenville County deputy coroner Karie Cain. Epps was pronounced dead at 11:42 p.m. at the hospital, Cain said.

Authorities searched the wooded area but didn't find anyone, Hildebrand said.

Investigators are still seeking more witnesses and have no other suspects. Flyers bearing a sketch-artist rendering of the suspect have been distributed around the area. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/NEWS01/708130326/1004/NEWS01

......... and there goes my hinky meter.

Mine too pedinurse. I would have fought to the death if I saw anyone harming my child. I WOULD have life threatening injuries, or be dead at the scene, because he would have to kill me to get me off him. And he'd have some obvious damage done to him also.
If a man was in the car, I'm sure the child struggled with him, thus there SHOULD be some DNA evidence either on the child or in the car of th "car jacker".

Below is a quote from someone in the Greenville online forum:

Well folks i know how people get their rocks off on news stories such as this, but there is no Susan Smith here. I know the mother, child, and the father as well. What the news fails to include is that the mother and child were forced from the car and the frightened child was screaming, the sicko was apparently worried that someone would hear the screams and the child was thrown back into the vehicle and was then smothered. I have a 1 year old and we carry a pillow in the vehicle with us when we travel, who is to say that this isn't the case here. I'm not being a meanie like some others and jump to conclusions here, stay tuned folks. She is an innocent woman that just lost her son. A little sympathy please?

It's also noted she is a nursing student, and was stabbed.
It still sounds a bit "off" to me, tho. Munchausens maybe ?

forum is here http://forums.greenvilleonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=13763&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yes, this person probably thinks he knows them well. Darlie was reported to be a good mother, so was Susan Smith, and there are others who killed their kids. Kids don't have to be neglected and abused first to be killed by their mothers.

Yes, JanetElaine, his name is the same. Age would be approx the same. Location was Augusta, SC though. So I don't know if it is related or not...

The age of the mothers is different though. The mother in the most current news story is 26 years old, while the mother in the 2003 news story was 35.

The age of the mothers is different though. The mother in the most current news story is 26 years old, while the mother in the 2003 news story was 35.
Yes, I should probably delete those comments. :doh:

With the "non-life threatening injuries" it's sounding like Darlie Routier to me, on top of Dianne Downs and Susan Smith.

I'm going to feel absolutely awful if it turns out that she had nothing to do with it, but for now this just doesn't add up.

I don't know about this story. I suppose if someone did carjack her and ended up getting mad at the little boy because he was afraid and screaming and then covered his face with a pillow the person could have had his arm on the pillow over the little boys neck and could have broken his neck. It probably is possible but this story just sounds strange. If all the mother could see from outside the car is the man with the pillow over her son's face she would have thought he was smothering him and probably wouldn't have known the difference until the cornor examined the little boy.

I'm going to give the mother the benefit of the doubt until we hear more. If the guy was just planning to take the car and then the boy started screaming and he killed the little boy and the mother landed on him and he stabbed her he might have felt it was smarter to cut his loses and run for it instead of following through with his orginal plan. LE will get it all figured out. I hope the mother is telling the truth though.

I hope so, too, Bobbi. I hate to think of another mother killing their child.

Mother Says Carjacker Suffocated 7-Year-Old

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- A 7-year-old boy was smothered to death late Sunday night and his mother says his killer was a knife-wielding carjacker.

The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office got a call at about 11 p.m. from a woman who said she had been stopped at the intersection of Jacobs Road and the Interstate 85 Frontage Road.

Deputies said that the woman told them a man forced his way into the car, pulled a knife and forced her to drive to a dirt road near the intersection.

Investigators said the woman told them the man took an object and smothered the child. Deputies would not say what the woman said the object was.

Deputies said that the woman told them the man ran into a nearby wooded area.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13876934/detail.html

Well, my goodness. Susan Smith's sister? her best friend? This girl's story is STUPID BEYOND BELIEF. Her IQ must be in the low functioning area, because aint no way her tale is true.

The man had a knife, but chose to smother the child??
Doesn't sound right to me.

I don't know about this story. I suppose if someone did carjack her and ended up getting mad at the little boy because he was afraid and screaming and then covered his face with a pillow the person could have had his arm on the pillow over the little boys neck and could have broken his neck. It probably is possible but this story just sounds strange. If all the mother could see from outside the car is the man with the pillow over her son's face she would have thought he was smothering him and probably wouldn't have known the difference until the cornor examined the little boy.

I'm going to give the mother the benefit of the doubt until we hear more. If the guy was just planning to take the car and then the boy started screaming and he killed the little boy and the mother landed on him and he stabbed her he might have felt it was smarter to cut his loses and run for it instead of following through with his orginal plan. LE will get it all figured out. I hope the mother is telling the truth though.

God bless you. Wish I could feel like you. I am one who almost always wants to give the benefit of the doubt, but this time I just can't muster it up.

First she says she is locked out of the car, then she miraculously somehow gets in and gets a little cut, and then the perp runs off? Heck, he carjacked the woman, right? So it's safe to assume he needed a vehicle? All he had to do was cut her a little more, and he'd have had a vehicle and no witnesses. But no, he runs away with his tail between his legs while Mommy lives to testify against him. PLUS she wants us to believe that while holding a pillow over the child's face, he has a free hand which just happens to hold a knife (uh, that would've shut the kid up, too, but he chose to use a pillow!?) and he reaches that free hand out and cuts Mom? Nah, I just can't see it.

It just doesn't pass the smell test to me. It's not even a good attempt at hiding the fact that she killed her son, IMO.

Hmmm, looks like the police are out there searching for another bushy-haired stranger tonight.

I hate to say it but more than likely they won't find this "carjacker". Mom will be on local tv crying out for justice. Then a few days later, she'll confess. Sadly, it happens quite often. That poor little boy. Killed by your mother must be the ultimate betrayal.

The man had a knife, but chose to smother the child??
Doesn't sound right to me.
Exactlly...if he wanted the car and the boy is screaming, any carjacker I do believe would have left mother and child by the side of the road and took the H*ll off! Why waste time silencing a chld? Why get a murder charge to steal a car. And if he really wanted the car, why did he run off in the woods? It's not making sense.

Nope, still doesn't make sense. Totally agree with what SadieMae just said. If he wanted the card and the mom and son were out of the car he could have just driven off. Watch, next time we read about this she'll be claiming he tried to rape her and silenced the son because he wanted to finish that before taking off. *rolling eyes*

Mine too pedinurse. I would have fought to the death if I saw anyone harming my child. I WOULD have life threatening injuries, or be dead at the scene, because he would have to kill me to get me off him. And he'd have some obvious damage done to him also.
If a man was in the car, I'm sure the child struggled with him, thus there SHOULD be some DNA evidence either on the child or in the car of th "car jacker".

That's the crux of it, SadieMae. The only way some stranger could jump into my car and strangle my child in the back seat while I was in the front would be if I were dead or unconscious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back