Found Deceased SC - Duncan Alexander Burrell-Gordon, Fell Into Shredder at Recycling Plant, Greer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based upon the circumstances in the first missing person person mention that I saw it appeared to me that the family was not actually sure where Duncan was or what he might have done after clocking back in after lunch break. With only the young man's ball cap to be found in my opinion no one honestly believed or wanted to believe that something so violent and tragic was possible. Hope was held out that he walked away from his job, leaving his car and answer's behind for his own personal reasons.
Yes his father and brothers were also employed by the recycling plant. I do not think his father had the power or seniority to shut down production. If the father had that position on the night shift I believe that he would have shut everything down ASAP. The fact that it took the amount of time it did tells me that the decision makers weren't willing to lose the revenue the company would if they shut down production. Not my thoughts but I got the impression that many people had doubts that the young man really fell in the shredder. Or that he was really missing. Some wondered if there was an elaborate scheme to explain away the reason no body would be found because of the heat and the explanations shared. Until there was some type of confirmation that there was truth of the story the father was sharing with the media terrible as the thought is the company felt like it was possible a huge lawsuit and no body for proof million dollars plan. MOO

Based upon the circumstances in the first missing person person mention that I saw it appeared to me that the family was not actually sure where Duncan was or what he might have done after clocking back in after lunch break. With only the young man's ball cap to be found in my opinion no one honestly believed or wanted to believe that something so violent and tragic was possible. Hope was held out that he walked away from his job, leaving his car and answer's behind for his own personal reasons.
Yes his father and brothers were also employed by the recycling plant. I do not think his father had the power or seniority to shut down production. If the father had that position on the night shift I believe that he would have shut everything down ASAP. The fact that it took the amount of time it did tells me that the decision makers weren't willing to lose the revenue the company would if they shut down production. Not my thoughts but I got the impression that many people had doubts that the young man really fell in the shredder. Or that he was really missing. Some wondered if there was an elaborate scheme to explain away the reason no body would be found because of the heat and the explanations shared. Until there was some type of confirmation that there was truth of the story the father was sharing with the media terrible as the thought is the company felt like it was possible a huge lawsuit and no body for proof million dollars plan. MOO

If the employer paid into workers’ comp, the general rule is that personal injury suits are barred. There are exceptions but these exceptions are very limited and very hard to meet. Even an improperly guarded machine may not count as an “intentional wrong” necessary to vault over the WC bar. I doubt the employer was fearful of a massive lawsuit - concerned about litigation costs, sure.

So I kind of wonder if there was a justifiable reason the father was fired as the explanation above appears speculative. If the father felt he was fired unjustly, there would be lawyers lining up for both the loss of life case and the loss of employment case.

Perhaps there were safety protocols in place that were not being followed? No matter what it is a tragedy.

Most employees are at-will and can be fired at any time and for any reason (or none at all), provided the reason isn’t violative of anti-discrimination laws. The only employment-based cause of action for the father would fall under OSHA’s whistle-blower provision - and I haven’t seen anything suggesting this. Firing an employee for criticizing the company is legal. There are many people “fired unjustly” in the moral/ethical sense - but not the legal sense.

This case absolutely boggles my mind o_O

It reminds me of a horrible case of 2 perps throwing a victim into a wood shredder during seasonal work on some rich lady's premises.
(I don't remember the names but it was caused by jealousy issues).

Is it sure no foul play was involved in this case?

RIP to this poor man

MOO

This case absolutely boggles my mind o_O

It reminds me of a horrible case of 2 perps throwing a victim into a wood shredder during seasonal work on some rich lady's premises.
(I don't remember the names but it was caused by jealousy issues).

Is it sure no foul play was involved in this case?

RIP to this poor man

MOO
holy moly. if you remember what case that is please lmk!

Last edited:
July 7, 2022
OSHA, Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office investigate death of Greer man at recycling plant

The remains that were found including about 2 ounces of blood, Clevenger said in a detailed news release.

Approximately 60,000 pounds of plastic material had been processed between the time Gordon was noticed missing and when the first investigator arrived to inspect the machine, Clevenger said.

July 15, 2022
Timeline: OSHA investigating alleged Greer recycling plant death. Here's what we know.

1660679008759.png

The privately owned company located on 27 acres is just off Interstate 85 between Greenville and Spartanburg. It was founded in 1987 and recycles plastics that are reused in various manufacturing plants. It reprocesses polyester and polypropylene waste materials such as non-woven, film, and fiber. Records from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration show one safety complaint against the company in 2017 involving refuse systems. A $500 fine was levied.

Sources said the substance found on the conveyor belt looked like ground up flesh and filled a plastic bag.

"If you believe your workplace is unsafe, you have the right to file a complaint. It is illegal for your employer to punish you for exercising this right."

Rest in Peace, Alex.

No, they found enough, including bone, to conclude what happened. His father/family are victims, too, along with him.
Where I live, this firm would be shut and all kinds of safety institutions present on premises checking working conditions, safety procedures, etc.

Not to mention Police.

I hope the family will get compensation.
Although it will not bring the poor man back :(

Last edited:
DEC 6, 2022
An Upstate man who was last seen on the job at a recycling plant — and is believed to have fallen into a machine — has been declared legally dead.

The father of Duncan Alexander Burrell Gordon confirmed to WYFF News 4 that a Spartanburg judge handed down the ruling Tuesday.

[...]

After extensive investigation, Clevenger said his office was unable to issue a conventional death certificate in the matter.

He said state regulations require another remedy for the family to get closure because there is no body.

The family took the issue to court where the outcome was decided Tuesday.

The family declined to make a statement or answer any questions about the judge's ruling.

On Nov. 27, the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation issued 12 citations to Industrial Recovery and Recycling--all of them were labeled as "serious."

One of the citations said the company "failed to provide one or more methods of machine guarding to protect the operator and other employees."

Other citations said the company failed to provide training, maintenance and obtain required permits to operate the machinery.

The company's penalties for the citations totaled almost $34,000, according to the SCDLLR documents.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back