GUILTY SC - Five Jones children, ages 1-8, Lexington County, 28 Aug 2014 *Father Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 2h2 hours ago
Back in the Lexington County Courthouse for Day 12 of the Timothy Jones Jr. murder trial.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 2h2 hours ago
Jury has still not been called in the room.
Prosecution and defense have been going back and forth inside the court room this morning. They've been arguing over potential witnesses that the defense intended to call to the stand.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 2h2 hours ago
I just passed Timothy Jones Sr. in the lobby, who does not look dressed to testify today. While the defense argues motions, the jury is waiting to be called in before day 12 gets underway. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 34m34 minutes ago
After a nearly hour and a half delay, the jury enters the courtroom.
The first witness of the day: Dr. Richard Frierson, a court-appointed psychiatrist who evaluated Jones Jr.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 35m35 minutes ago
The court appointed Psychiatrist has taken the stand. Remember in opening statements, the prosecution said the court appointed Psychiatrist would testify that #TimothyJones was not a schizophrenic @wachfox #TimothyJonesTrial

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 30m30 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he's interviewed Jones Jr. on six occasions (for a total of 19 hours). Based on the evidence provided, Dr. Frierson says that on August 28, 2014, that Jones Jr. could distinguish moral right from wrong.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 25m25 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson testifies it is his opinion that Jones knew the difference between moral and legal right from wrong on the day investigators say he killed his children. That's based on 6 interviews, totaling 19 hours. @wis10

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 30m30 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says his opinion is that #TimothyJones would have known right from wrong the day authorities say he killed his five children. Frierson has spent around 19 hours interviewing Jones #TimothyJonesTrial @wachfox

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 26m26 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says "People with schizophrenia can become hyper religious." Yesterday #TimothyJones Senior spoke of his son's extreme beliefs comparing it to a cult. #TimothyJonesTrial @wachfox

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 22m22 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson said Jones told him he went into a "mad panic" after discovering his son Nahtahn dead in his bed. Then, he considered calling 911 but didn't, afraid they would think he did it, the doctor testifies. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 24m24 minutes ago
When talking with Jones Jr., Dr. Frierson says the defendant told him two different versions of how Nahtahn's death was accidental, but the other four deaths were the result of a "mad panic".

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 22m22 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says Jones Jr. told him that he watched a graphic scene in the movie "American History X" shortly after Nahtahn's death, saying he was afraid they were "going to do bad things" to him in prison.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 22m22 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says Timothy Jones told him he searched the American History X rape scene after Nahtahn died because he thought "I'm going to prison. The inmates will do this to me... They will think I'm a baby killer." @wachfox

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 21m21 minutes ago
Psychatrist: Jones heard “a demonic voice” that told him to kill the kids. Described the voice as being inside his head, brief and not prolonged. "I thought it was better for me to take their lives, I cut of their windpipes, kissed them and took their lives." @wis10

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 21m21 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says Jones told him, "I cut off their wind pipes, kissed them, and took their lives" of his kids because Jones said they would be better off since he says he knew he was schizophrenic. #TimothyJonesTrial @wachfox

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 21m21 minutes ago
The psychiatrist tells the jury Jones felt morally justified in the killing of his children, because he felt the children's mother, Amber, didn't want them and he knew what it was like to grow up without a mother. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 25m25 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says Jones Jr. told him he tried to kill himself with spice after he killed the other four children. He says Jones Jr. thought Amber didn't want them, and he made a "conscious decision" to put all five of the children back together in Heaven.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 21m21 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he diagnosed Jones Jr. with a substance-induced psychotic disorder as a result of using spice. He says it's not a normal thought (but not a delusion) to think that a six-year-old boy could kill his father by blowing out an electrical outlet.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 19m19 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says #TimothyJones spent $230 on spice in the month of August 2014 (when the children were killed). Says he would buy it at a shop with a credit card @wachfox

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 17m17 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he diagnosed #TimothyJones with a "Substance induced Psychotic Disorder" from the over use of spice #TimothyJonesTrial. Frierson says, "I think spice contributed to what happened." @wachfox

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 16m16 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he thinks the voices #TimothyJones says he heard were "really his own anxious thoughts." #TimothyJonesTrial says stress of the divorce contributed @wachfox

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 14m14 minutes ago
Big moment here in court. Dr. Frierson, the court appointed psychiatrist testifies the "voices" Jones is talking about, are, in his opinion, not psychotic hallucinations but rather his own "anxious thoughts." @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 18m18 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says undergoing a divorce, at least for some people, could be very stressful, and says that led to him pondering some intrusive thoughts (as opposed to hallucinations) in the months leading up to the murders.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 17m17 minutes ago
When elaborating on the thoughts Jones Jr. had, Frierson says he believes those were "just anxious thoughts" and not voices in his head.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 10m10 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson is now testifying about a suicide attempt made by Jones while incarcerated in 2015, when he tied a bed sheet around his neck and hung it from the doorway, after missing two doses of his medication. There are conflicting reports given by Jones. @wis10

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 4m4 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says there is evidence of ambivalence in Jones' suicide attempt. He says based on video evidence, Jones never lifts his feet of the ground while the bed sheet is tied around his neck. He's seen often adjusting the sheet, he testifies. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 13m13 minutes ago
Frierson says while in prison, Jones Jr. told him that he tried to hang himself with a bedsheet (does say there were conflicting reports of this, so he asked to see an hour-long video of the alleged suicide attempt).

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 10m10 minutes ago
He later says that this alleged attempt came after Jones Jr. missed two doses of medication back in 2015. The Department of Corrections provided him a video of the incident.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 12m12 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he watched an hour long video DOC provided him of a suicide attempt by #TimothyJones in 2015. Frierson says Jones had allegedly missed two doses of his medications beforehand.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 7m7 minutes ago
When reviewing the video, Dr. Frierson says Jones Jr. fidgeted with the bedsheet around his neck, but never lifted his feet up.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 8m8 minutes ago
Frierson says Jones told him, "I tried to kill myself with spice but it didn't work" after the death of his five children. #TimothyJones @wachfox

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 5m5 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson starts to go over Jones's records dating back to his time trying to become a Navy Seal. He told them he had suicidal thoughts, they diagnosed him with depression (also saying he had alcohol and cannabis dependence).

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 6m6 minutes ago
Frierson says military records show #TimothyJones told them he's had suicidal thoughts since he was a teen and would cut himself. However, Fierson says Jones denies that and so did his family. Military diagnosed him with depression, cannabis/alcohol dependence @wachfox

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 43m43 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson talks about Jones's dependence on spice, saying that some days Jones Jr. would "wake and bake". Also says he would smoke marijuana and use spice at times concurrently.
Dr. Frierson testifies during his eight years of marriage, Jones Jr. was sober.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 47m47 minutes ago
Frierson says Jones told him he would "wake and bake" basically waking up and using "spice" right away in the days leading up to the deaths of his five children #TimothyJones @wachfox

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 41m41 minutes ago
When talking about the anti-smoking medication Chantix, Frierson says Jones Jr. told him that he would often forget to take Chantix, and he would continue to smoke cigarettes (sometimes two packs a day).

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 35m35 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says that after the divorce, Jones Jr. had concerns the family of the man Amber had an affair with would try to prostitute his ex-wife since he wasn't sure how they were supporting themselves. He was afraid they would take advantage of her.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 28m28 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson transitions to neuro-psych testing he did on Jones, saying that he was taken aback by how someone with a reported IQ of 87 (according to the defense) could graduate summa *advertiser censored* laude from Mississippi State and get a job at Intel.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 26m26 minutes ago
When asked about Jones's brain injury, Dr. Frierson says there is a depressed skull fracture on the brain, but in his opinion, he doesn't think it impeded Jones's ability to function.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 24m24 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson was called by the defense to testify, but so far has said he does not believe Jones is suffering from schizophrenia and does not believe the traumatic brain injury he suffered impairs his cognitive functions. @wis10

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 20m20 minutes ago
This is a shot of Dr. Frierson testifying on the stand for the #TImothyJonesTrial. @wachfox #TimothyJones

D702r1RX4AEUjqS.jpg

Judge Griffith calls for a break, sends the jury out for a few minutes. Dr. Frierson still the stand.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 6m6 minutes ago
Jury returns from their break, and Dr. Frierson continues to answer questions from lead defense attorney, Boyd Young.

Dr. Frierson says Jones told him he believed that Merah and Nahtahn were plotting against him as a result of the DSS visits. Led to some Google searches that inquired about children turning against their parents.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 11m11 minutes ago
Frierson, "He may have done it but he was grieving the loss of his children" on why #TimothyJones searched one of his daughter's favorite songs on his phone. @wachfox #TimothyJonesTrial

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 7m7 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says he did not find Jones to be malingering during his interviews with him, but says it he strongly considered it. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 8m8 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson, shown here on the stand, was asked by Young why Jones would search the song "Butterfly Kisses" on the night of the murders. He responds by saying it was one of Merah's favorite song, and it was a result of a father grieving the death of his children.

D7076A2WwAAB0_G.jpg

Frierson: "Mental health is not black and white, and reason-minded people can disagree."
Judge Griffith calls for a lunch break. Testimony should continue around 1:30.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 41m41 minutes ago
The jury has returned from their lunch break, and Dr. Frierson is back on the stand.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 40m40 minutes ago
Deputy Solicitor Shawn Graham begins his cross-examination of Dr. Frierson.

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 20m20 minutes ago
This is the moment when Dr. Frierson, the court-appointed psychiatrist tasked with Timothy Jones Jr's mental evaluations, said he did not believe the 'voices' Jones claimed to hear were actually due to schizophrenia: @WLTX

(video clip: Jacob Reynolds on Twitter )

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 16m16 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson says if someone have a parent with schizophrenia, there's a 7 to 10 percent chance their child can develop it, but on the flip side, there's a 90 to 93 percent chance they won't.

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 14m14 minutes ago
While being questioned by the prosecution, Frierson says, "most people with childhood trauma do not grow up to have a mental illness." On Wednesday, the court heard from Jones family saying he witnessed violence in the home as a young child. #TimothyJones @wachfox

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 9m9 minutes ago
Referring to an Illinois Department of Correction report (back when Jones Jr. was in prison there), Dr. Frierson says Jones was diagnosed with substance dependence as well as narcissistic personality disorder.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV

Referring to an Illinois Department of Correction report (back when Jones Jr. was in prison there), Dr. Frierson says Jones was diagnosed with substance dependence as well as narcissistic personality disorder.

I had an Axis II sense with the man too.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 20m20 minutes ago
Graham is still cross-examining Dr. Frierson, who has been on the stand since 10 a.m.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 10m10 minutes ago
Dr. Frierson, who is still on the stand, drops a bold opinion on the stand: Jones tried to convince himself he has schizophrenia--because his mother did--in order to be able to live with what he did. @wis10

Dr. Frierson says he does not believe Jones Jr. was faking schizophrenia, but rather he was trying so hard to convince himself that he had it.

Psychiatrist: Father killed his 5 children so they’d be together but is not schizophrenic

May 30, 2019

"LEXINGTON — Timothy Jones Jr. told a psychiatrist he strangled four of his children after he accidentally killed his 6-year-old because he thought it best “if they were just all together,” Dr. Richard Frierson told jurors Thursday.

Jones, who is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity, was not obeying the delusional voices in his head, as the defense claims, but rather his own anxious thoughts. Jones knew when he killed his children at their trailer in rural Lexington County in August 2014 that his actions were legally and morally wrong, said Frierson, the court-appointed psychiatrist who has interviewed Jones for a total of 19 hours over six days since 2016.

“He figured, ‘it’s a matter of time before I get arrested, I may as well take a trip to Vegas’,” Frierson said Jones told him. Since his ex-wife “didn’t want them and he was going to go away ... he felt, in a sense, morally justified, which is much different than not knowing it was morally wrong.”

Frierson, called as a defense witness, stressed he was giving his opinion only, not advocating for either the defense or prosecution....

While Jones told investigators he feared his children were plotting to kill him and feed him to the dogs, he later told Frierson he was making that up, the psychiatrist said.

“He was exaggerating claims so he could convince himself he was mentally ill,” Frierson said. “He was always worried he had schizophrenia. His mother had schizophrenia. He assumed these anxious thoughts he was having was schizophrenia so he could live with what he did.” "

Psychiatrist: Father killed his 5 children so they'd be together but is not schizophrenic

BBM So it's OK, in his twisted mind, that he murdered the children because he's "sick"- unbelievable! :eek:

And the prison rape thingy- afraid the prisoners will do the same to him because they would think he caused harm to the children. My God!!! He killed all his children!!!! That's harm. Unbelievable again.:mad:

Last edited:
Yeah, that's that externalizing-blame-thing that AxisII disorders bring. It's a shame for ALL involved, kids and mom firstly, that he did not more closely consider the consequences of ending up in prison and being at risk of sexual abuse there. But I think that as well came with the narcissistic personality d/o, I suspect he did not think he would get caught... until maybe after his depression set in after the event -- because I do believe he must grieve for his kids in his own way, and miss them.

That personality will never change anymore, and he must certainly now bear the consequences of what he did, but I do honestly feel sad about his never bonding with his own mom and subsequently developing into the sort of deviant human who would bludgeon or strangle his own little children to death. Knowingly.

Just, very very very sad.

Edited to add that I don't think obviously that the detachment is the ONLY reason for his deviance, but it's my opinion that it obviously contributed, considering the personality that grew.

Last edited:
I thought Dr. Richard Frierson was a very believable witness. He gave his opinions and didn't wavier from them, IMO.

I also thought that the info on the Mennonite family and how they disciplined their children was very interesting. He followed what they did with his children (but of course the Mennonite didn't murder their children).

Kavya01- I think he was/ is paranoid, whether from drugs or not, and not narcissistic:

What Is Axis II Personality Disorder?

What Is Axis II Personality Disorder? | Betterhelp

Yeah, gotcha, you make a valid point.
I was leaning towards the narcissism due to how he used to treat his wife when they were married, and how attracted to and at home he felt in that apostolic church-- with the males being everything and the pregnant barefoot wifey in the kitchen . Also due to his control issues , even with his own kids. But I am sure it's most likely a mix of some schizoid and paranoid and narcissistic tendencies. In any event I really do not believe anything going on, besides maybe his depression but even that seems mainly situational, is Axis I and fits an insanity defense. IMHO always, of course.

The thing is, about the mennonitic ways too-- even if you would be raised according to it-- it's such an appalling style of interacting to me personally, I find asserting dominance that way so revolting, I could never abide it for myself or my own kids. It MUST have had some appeal to TJ . It appealed to something in his personality. That's telling right there, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back