SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolls saying rude things about victims happens to every case. I don't think it counts as libel. For one thing, you have to prove that the words had a detrimental effect such as losing your job, reputation, etc...Not sure how you would prove that when it's about a missing person. So I don't see how they are comparable.

IMO, it has added insult to injury for this family !

I am sorry you didn't get what you were looking for in the news piece. I had zero expectations that we would find out where Heather is by watching because I knew the people talking were TE and BB and they do not hold the answers. No clue where HE is, but I know LE is working really hard on this case. It is shame that they keep getting pulled in so many different directions off the case. Hopefully that will stop, so they can solely focus on bringing HE home.

the only reason LE is getting pulled in different directions is because they are without direction after almost 2 months of investigation. They have nothing concrete and they admit to it. They need someone to say look here. We all kinda figured if SM was going to talk nothing would be said(if you catch my drift).
I'm not feeling all that good about what has transpired so far. A PI needs to be called in and start looking under the rocks, imo.
Question- What was it that Bill Barrett had (evidence) that wasn't turned over to LE in a timely manner?

I do wonder if the perp is following this debacle on his computer and getting great amusement out of it.

I have seen this so many times on stupid facebook I could scream.

Not only that, but, don't people realize that a girl is MISSING and could very well be MURDERED and this is not a flipping game?

If you are on facebook and spewing things about people, and your facebook profile is open, and your own personal information can easily be found out, WHY would you do that?

Haven't we seen enough to know that people are nuts?

-end of rant-

In the past we have found that they do read everything they can. In Hailey Dunn case money was even asked for...............low life's for sure!

I really don't think that would make a difference. It's not that easy to get the mob to back off. It might sway the rational people, but the ones who are in an uproar, I don't think it will work.

Also, I read comments about Danielle's case back in 2012 for the 10th anniversary on local news articles. There were so many that still blame her parents for what happened. Not that they think they are guilty, but that their lifestyle put her at risk. So even 10 years later, with someone on Death Row, there are plenty of people who still haven't "forgiven" them, surprisingly. Same with Alanna Gallagher. Her neighbor was arrested for her murder, and people still bring up her parents' unconventional relationship. Once people decided that they don't like you, it won't change if they think you're innocent.
I respectfully disagree. Once people have decided that they don't like you, it won't make them like you if they don't like your actions. But there is a difference between thinking someone's actions contributed to a problem, and thinking they are guilty of a crime.

Just jumping off your post. He might very well have something to gain by saying anything. Way back in the old days there was the Danielle Van Dam case. Despite the fact that divulging some of the details of their not quite conventional lives would be frowned upon by many, the parents of Danielle Van Dam laid everything out on the table. There were a few that thought her father had something to do with it, but he kept saying he had nothing to do with her disappearance (which he didn't). When you have laid your life bare, tell LE to check everything, give them anything and everything they want, people tend to believe you. When you hide, avoid the truth, try to pretend like anything you did that might not have been conventional either did not happen or was OK, people tend to think you have something to hide. JMO.

Seriously, if a person that was suspected by many came forward and said :"I had a relationship with X from this date to that date. It was not my proudest moment and it hurt people I cared about. There were communications between myself and person X on this date because "insert reason here". I had nothing to do with this person's disappearance. " that would sway some people. When you hide nothing, people think you have nothing to hide. JMO.

The three-parent family of that little girl in Texas did the same thing, and it worked for them.

Possibly if he had done that at the beginning, it might have worked. But at this point, mostly people are going to say, "Oh, he's just saying that because he's in trouble."

Personalities play into it as well. I don't think I could carry that off. I'm an insecure self-conscious person who comes across as looking guilty because I'm so scared. This isn't just worry on my part; I have past experiences to back me up :p Clearly SM doesn't have that kind of issue, but I don't think he'd last very long in front of a reporter without totally losing his cool and seeming guiltier than before.

And for all we know he has in fact laid everything out for LE. LE has never said either way.

The phone records only prove SM talked to Heather that night. Surely TE has more information than that to suggest SM is involved ?? Would LE really stand by and let the Moorer's lives be ruined if the only evidence implicating SM is the phone records ??

I have been wondering the exact same thing.

Would LE stand by, and why haven't they done more to stop this bounty hunting vigilante-ism?

The only thing that makes any sense at all is that LE doesn't have much (we know that don't have enough for an arrest or they would have made one), and they are hoping that something will come out of this. That's a very cynical thing to think, but why else haven't they gotten tougher with the bullies and vigilantes?

the only reason LE is getting pulled in different directions is because they are without direction after almost 2 months of investigation. They have nothing concrete and they admit to it. They need someone to say look here. We all kinda figured if SM was going to talk nothing would be said(if you catch my drift).
I'm not feeling all that good about what has transpired so far. A PI needs to be called in and start looking under the rocks, imo.

There are plenty of other cases that take WAY longer than 47 days and LE is not pulled in the direction the way this case has been pulled into, in this town and others. There are plenty of grieving families who don't have answers and they don't react this way. I have never seen anything like this.

Question- What was it that Bill Barrett had (evidence) that wasn't turned over to LE in a timely manner?

I'm just curious -- what do you think a PI can do that a sizeable LE team can't?

I knew a judge who would sentence people on certain days that was in some way related to the case if she was able to fit it into her schedule ie. an wedding anniversary for the wife beater, birthday of a victim ,etc. I like to think Valentines Day will hold a surprise in this case.

I have been wondering the exact same thing.

Would LE stand by, and why haven't they done more to stop this bounty hunting vigilante-ism?

The only thing that makes any sense at all is that LE doesn't have much (we know that don't have enough for an arrest or they would have made one), and they are hoping that something will come out of this. That's a very cynical thing to think, but why else haven't they gotten tougher with the bullies and vigilantes?

I asked this same question way back in another thread. I would think if LE had a good idea that SM/TM were not guilty, or even had stronger POIs, they would be morally obligated to say something before things get out of hand for the Moorers. But posters who have been at WS a lot longer than I have indicated that that is not how things are generally done. As long as LE hasn't named him/them as POIs, they would likely feel no responsibility to say something to take the heat off them. Doesn't seem right to me, but I'm a social worker, not a LEO.

The circus element is being encouraged, for some reason.

ETA: The circus could come to an end, but the ringmaster is saying "The show must go on"
This is not directed at you, I am just using the circus analogy reference.

What I want to know is what does anyone here think will happen if TE (and everyone associated with him) just stop doing anything except quietly looking for HE?
Will the circus stop?
Will LE magically have some avenue they can now pursue because no one is in their way?
Will everything associated with the investigation stop?
What is the advantage for TE to stop saying and doing anything in the media?
What could TE do that might be more useful?

From where I sit, the only advantageous thing that can be done right now is to organize searches, every weekend and just keep covering areas and ruling them out. For myself, I'd be gridding everything out within whatever random distance I decided on, and keep searching. That is where I find this case odd. It's like the searches just stopped.

O/T on my local news they just showed special cameras on LE cars that are equipped to scan license plates and certain survelance on computers. So exciting how they can see things that LE eyes don't catch! Very impressive. Hoping MB area is equipped with this tech advances! or borrows the latest. Could even find that JEEP/perps!!

What I want to know is what does anyone here think will happen if TE (and everyone associated with him) just stop doing anything except quietly looking for HE?
Will the circus stop?
Will LE magically have some avenue they can now pursue because no one is in their way?

From where I sit, the only advantageous thing that can be done right now is to organize searches, every weekend and just keep covering areas and ruling them out. For myself, I'd be gridding everything out within whatever random distance I decided on, and keep searching. That is where I find this case odd. It's like the searches just stopped.

IMO there are searches but they just are not being public about them. Does anyone local know if CUE is still present? I think TE needs to tone down some of the people doing crazy stuff and things being said. However, I dont' think social media should go away. If TE stops going to the press and stops the sm the case will go cold just like most of the others in MB

I knew a judge who would sentence people on certain days that was in some way related to the case if she was able to fit it into her schedule ie. an wedding anniversary for the wife beater, birthday of a victim ,etc. I like to think Valentines Day will hold a surprise in this case.

That judge is AWESOME!!!!

Will the circus stop?

ITA, Ghostwheel.
The hardship that the E family has had to endure is horrific. I bet there's not a waking hour that goes by without them thinking about HE, thinking they may have spotted her for an instant when they go about their lives, and wondering why there aren't answers.
I would imagine it takes a lot of inner strength not to lose it.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Thankfully, most of us here have never had to endure this type of pain & torture.
Prayers to the E family.

I'm just curious -- what do you think a PI can do that a sizeable LE team can't?

First off a PI is 100% focused on one case and only one case. People, as noted by BB, are hesitant about talking to the local LE for what ever reason (maybe a criminal past or currently involved in criminal activity . A PI can open doors LE can't. A PI can use methods LE can't to get information. LE needs warrants to do certain things whereas a PI doesn't . You don't lawyer up to a PI.There is plenty a competent PI can do to get information.

Will the circus stop?

I too am concerned about the lack of searches !!!

She might not have even been weighted down. If she is deceased and was put in the water, she could have floated downstream (and gone quite a distance) and gotten stuck on something under the water. (I remember a recent case where someone's body caught in a tangle of roots by the river bank was found by a fisherman several months later)

Last night I was thinking that most bodies that are dumped in the woods are relatively close to a place where a vehicle can drive in, a greater portion being in a location where the body can be dropped over a hill/cliff edge and roll down and away from the road. This makes sense because who wants to schlep a dead body a long distance. If HE were murdered between 4am and 6 am (a guess on my part), there would be limited, if any, darkness, so the location would likely be away from any frequently used roads. Someone mentioned the beach, but I think it would have been too light at that time to make that work. Carolina Forest Road comes to mind as I look at the map, as does the area south of the end of Grahamville Rd. If she is deceased, I don't think she is more than a half hour away from PTL, but that still is an awfully large area to search.

Just got back and just wanted to thank Ghostwheel, TedMac, Cluciano63, EmmaRose, and others for replying to my post for ideas in trying to find her.

This reply from Ghostwheel took a lot of time and is well thought out so wanted to be sure to thank you and everyone else.

I really wish she could be found. :please:

I am so saddened for her family.

Really!

And, uhhh... how much time was actually lost due to a few hiccups during the investigation? Seems like a sorry excuse IMO. Set-backs and mis-direction are common no matter what the occupation is or job you apply it to! Heck, life in general is full of them! i.e.: A Contractor needs to wait 3 days for a new permit.; A Print Shop is out of 100lb gloss stock and has a big rush order to complete; An Ice Cream Shop is out of rainbow sprinkles, and needs more before it will be 90° the next day. etc., etc..

I've worked all my life in fast-paced work environments and you need to think quick on your toes constantly; and be prepared for whatever is thrown at you. Adapt and conquer I'd say! Jeesh!

Also, you can't always let pride stand in your way. If you don't know the answer to something, look it up or ask someone else.

If you cannot accomplish a task alone or do not have adequate skills, training or knowledge, admit it and ask for help.

I agree too with hiring a PI. It would be a great idea for the E family. Someone with a fresh perspective would be ideal.

As for the evidence that was held back by BB, I've been interested in that too. Hope it was well worth the effort and not another sorry excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow