SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never heard about Amber's murder, until Heather vanished. So did MB did get up in arms over her being killed? I mean, I follow pretty much all the threads here, and hers never really caught on until Heather disappeared. JMO

I wonder if it's easier/more newsworthy if a LOCAL is missing as opposed to a visitor? A visitor/tourist would be from far away & so not as much local interest. Trying to get searches going & publicity would definitely be harder if you weren't local. Prolly couldn't get enuf ppl to search & locals wouldn't tend to pay much attention to a stranger-the family/friends couldn't get as involved either-it would be harder for a stranger to be noticed.:twocents:

I wonder if it's easier/more newsworthy if a LOCAL is missing as opposed to a visitor? A visitor/tourist would be from far away & so not as much local interest. Trying to get searches going & publicity would definitely be harder if you weren't local. Prolly couldn't get enuf ppl to search & locals wouldn't tend to pay much attention to a stranger-the family/friends couldn't get as involved either-it would be harder for a stranger to be noticed.:twocents:

I am pretty sure Amber was local too.

Well, Natalee Holloway, Madeline McCann, and Meredith Kercher all went missing or were murdered far away from home, and those cases got massive amounts of media coverage. I don't know what the local interest is for those cases, but one could argue that them going missing/being killed in a tourist destination was of a big interest to the national and international media. So it can be beneficial when it comes to garnering publicity.

ETA: I think that, for example, if a 5-year-old girl went missing during her vacation it would still get a lot of attention, but an adult might not get as much. And it would probably be the same if it happened in their respective communities. I think someone going missing on vacation, especially a victim who meets the media's preferred profile, could easily become a national story.

Well, Natalee Holloway, Madeline McCann, and Meredith Kercher all went missing or were murdered far away from home, and those cases got massive amounts of media coverage. I don't know what the local interest is for those cases, but one could argue that them going missing/being killed in a tourist destination was of a big interest to the national and international media. So it can be beneficial when it comes to garnering publicity.

ETA: I think that, for example, if a 5-year-old girl went missing during her vacation it would still get a lot of attention, but an adult might not get as much. And it would probably be the same if it happened in their respective communities. I think someone going missing on vacation, especially a victim who meets the media's preferred profile, could easily become a national story.

From Rochester, NY, Brittanee Drexel Disappearance 4 Years Ago has received national & local ms media attention..

Brittanee Drexel was a visitor/tourist and her mother did an amazing job garnering local interest.

STOP talking about info that came from social media or has been sleuthed. We do NOT have a POI/Suspect - so sleuthing is not allowed.

Salem

[modsnip]

I live in Maine and have been kind of following this case along with the Abigail Hernandez case in New Hampshire. Both stories are so sad, both disappeared without a trace. However, in the Abigail Hernadez case the FBI is involved and have been right from the start. I have not read every thread on Heather Elvis story but am wondering if the FBI is also involved in this case? If not why are they not involved is my question? It is pretty obvious this girl just did not take off imo, and feel the FBI should be involved. Just curious.

I don't think the publicity had as much to do about it being international cases but because, Holloway was in Aruba (Big tourist destination people relate to) if it was in say Ecuador it would have been a paragraph on the back pages. McCann is a child(white children always garner attention) who some people still blame the parents for leaving her alone. Kercher ,we would never have heard about if an American woman and SEX games were not part of the story,imo.

[modsnip]

I live in Maine and have been kind of following this case along with the Abigail Hernandez case in New Hampshire. Both stories are so sad, both disappeared without a trace. However, in the Abigail Hernadez case the FBI is involved and have been right from the start. I have not read every thread on Heather Elvis story but am wondering if the FBI is also involved in this case? If not why are they not involved is my question? It is pretty obvious this girl just did not take off imo, and feel the FBI should be involved. Just curious.

Yes, FBI is on the task force. Maybe not called in as soon, due to Abigail being a child, Heather an adult, free to leave. But they are involved now.

Brittanee Drexel was a visitor/tourist and her mother did an amazing job garnering local interest.

since I'm not that familar w/Brittanee Drexel,isn't she still missing?? It would seem the Elvis family has been able to make things more approachable/newsworthy.
It's still a heck of a thing to have to go thru. Maybe it's also subject to interpretation. Looking at that missing case from 2004 (WA) just recently supposedly solved-3 people along w/ex disposed of the body including new hubby. It was only resolved after 1 of them finally came out w/details..I hope it doesn't have to take so long for Heather!

[modsnip]

I thought an agent was involved. Keep in mind local LE has not ruled out she left on her own (at least not publicly).

since I'm not that familar w/Brittanee Drexel,isn't she still missing?? It would seem the Elvis family has been able to make things more approachable/newsworthy.
It's still a heck of a thing to have to go thru. Maybe it's also subject to interpretation. Looking at that missing case from 2004 (WA) just recently supposedly solved-3 people along w/ex disposed of the body including new hubby. It was only resolved after 1 of them finally came out w/details..I hope it doesn't have to take so long for Heather!

Yes, BD is still missing..After 4 years, 16 ws threads.. HE ws threads after 2 months, 16..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213011&page=15

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion > 2000's Missing
Reload this Page SC SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #16

I don't think the publicity had as much to do about it being international cases but because, Holloway was in Aruba (Big tourist destination people relate to) if it was in say Ecuador it would have been a paragraph on the back pages. McCann is a child(white children always garner attention) who some people still blame the parents for leaving her alone. Kercher ,we would never have heard about if an American woman and SEX games were not part of the story,imo.

I think Beth Holloway was very relentless, and would've been able to garner Natalee a lot of publicity even if she went missing from a non-tourist country. It would also fit into a certain narrative about how "uncivilized" less developed countries are.

For Maddie, I don't think her case would have gotten media coverage outside of the UK if it happened in the UK. Since it involved 2 countries, it became an international "event". I can't think of other cases of missing British children that got anywhere near as many attention in the US as Maddie. And while cases involving white children are more publicized, very few of them get media coverage to that degree. There are hugely high-profile cases in the UK that aren't even a blip in the US media.

Oh, boy...the thread has come to a standstill :(

Long weekend?

Hopefully something will break this week! :praying:

IMHO, I think the difference is the drama the Elvis family, family friends, and supporters have begun it keeps people posting. However please google BD's case. Not only was BD's parents, boyfriend, and Peter B, and others been in the national media on Nancy G, Jane Velez, Dr. Phil, Maury Povitch, Investigative Discovery, radio shows, carolinalive did multiple stories as well as local media in both Myrtle beach and Rochester. Their has been dozens of public searches, task forces, and annual events; as well as a memorial planted in BD's honor. BD will be missing 5 years this April, what has been similar in both cases LE did not name a POI for at least 1 year after her abduction the first was dismissed. LE did give out more info and held press conferences in BDs disappearance. The 2nd POI they named as a POI Ray Moody the parents have said is no longer a POI, however that was not listed in MSM.

Yes, BD is still missing..After 4 years, 16 ws threads.. HE ws threads after 2 months, 16..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213011&page=15

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion > 2000's Missing
Reload this Page SC SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #16

I think Beth Holloway was very relentless, and would've been able to garner Natalee a lot of publicity even if she went missing from a non-tourist country. It would also fit into a certain narrative about how "uncivilized" less developed countries are.

For Maddie, I don't think her case would have gotten media coverage outside of the UK if it happened in the UK. Since it involved 2 countries, it became an international "event". I can't think of other cases of missing British children that got anywhere near as many attention in the US as Maddie. And while cases involving white children are more publicized, very few of them get media coverage to that degree. There are hugely high-profile cases in the UK that aren't even a blip in the US media.

I do agree Beth Holloway kept the case in the news..Emilee Irsik and Austin Bice...two American college students gone missing in foreign countries (Germany and Spain)Emilee shut her phone off and missed her flight ,driving her parents into panic mode....she was later put on a flight home, Austin's body was recovered a month after he disappeared from a river. I never heard of either one of these students from the media....

IMHO, I think the difference is the drama the Elvis family, family friends, and supporters have begun it keeps people posting. However please google BD's case. Not only was BD's parents, boyfriend, and Peter B, and others been in the national media on Nancy G, Jane Velez, Dr. Phil, Maury Povitch, Investigative Discovery, radio shows, carolinalive did multiple stories as well as local media in both Myrtle beach and Rochester. Their has been dozens of public searches, task forces, and annual events; as well as a memorial planted in BD's honor. BD will be missing 5 years this April, what has been similar in both cases LE did not name a POI for at least 1 year after her abduction the first was dismissed. LE did give out more info and held press conferences in BDs disappearance. The 2nd POI they named as a POI Ray Moody the parents have said is no longer a POI, however that was not listed in MSM.

About 3 weeks ago, I asked what the most publicized crime case in MB history would be. A lot of locals replied telling me Brittanee's case. I wonder if that is still true.

I'd give my strength to Terry & Debbie & their other children & the LE for having strength not to bop someone in the nose for what's on social media. that is just unbelievable in my opinion. Keep on, keeping on, I guess. Not smart. Finding Heather is all this is about and finding who took her and proving it for a court of law.

More power to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member