SC-Hunting Land Dispute Leads To 3 Dead and 1 Injured

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Duh! Spartanburg county near Woodruff. A familiar place for true crime.

The shooting erupted around 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, near a home on Griffin Road in the Woodruff area, the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article293257774.html#storylink=cpy

"In conjunction with the Coroner's Office release, Friday night, September 27, 2024, at approximately 8:00 PM, deputies responded to 115 Griffin Rd., Woodruff, SC, 29388, in reference to multiple people being shot. Upon arrival, deputies discovered three deceased victims and also learned a fourth shooting victim had been transported by a personal vehicle to a hospital in Simpsonville with non life threatening injuries. Once some witnesses were separated and interviewed, it appears this incident stemmed from a dispute over who had permission to be on this particular place of hunting land. Some family members of the decedents were also witnesses to this incident, and their interviews were conducted over the weekend once they had time to process the event. Our investigation remains active, and additional information will only be released after a consultation with the Solicitor's Office. All involved parties have been identified, and there isn't any threat to the public."
Possible hunting land dispute leaves 3 dead in Spartanburg County, officials say

At the scene, they found Paul Higgins, 38, of Woodruff, Jeremy Faulkner, 34, of Woodruff and Nicolas Long, 22 of Greenville, dead in a wooded area.
https://www.wspa.com/news/local-news/three-found-shot-in-the-woods-near-woodruff/

They aren’t saying a word about who the shooter may have been. But trust them.

They aren’t saying a word about who the shooter may have been. But trust them.
Of the dead men, two resided in Woodruff and the other Greenville, I am going to guess they may have been hunting together and strayed onto land not their own? Perhaps the landowners are the shooters and the victims were trespassing?

Shooting people seems pretty extreme for trespassing though. I mean I know it happens, but what else could have preceded this situation?

Of the dead men, two resided in Woodruff and the other Greenville, I am going to guess they may have been hunting together and strayed onto land not their own? Perhaps the landowners are the shooters and the victims were trespassing?

Shooting people seems pretty extreme for trespassing though. I mean I know it happens, but what else could have preceded this situation?
Drinking.?

The survivor was driven to the ER in a private car so how many witnesses were there? They haven’t said anything about hunting a suspect.

This article says around 9pm.

Who is hunting at 9pm on a Friday night? Is that a normal time to hunt?

Also, that night/Saturday morning was when Hurricane Helene was going through, I believe. I wonder what type of weather was going on at the time?

ETA: Spartanburg had some pretty significant damage from the hurricane. This article confirms the storm rolled through Friday night & outlines some of the damage, "He worked his shift as Helene blew through, and when he got off around 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 27, his power was out and an electrical wire behind his apartment was sparking.":

I wonder if this is about more than hunting?

Last edited:
I guessed that they had hunted until near dark, which isn’t unusual. The storm had eased off Friday afternoon.
If the storm eased off, it was probably because one of the outer bands had passed through. But there were more/worse storms overnight & into Saturday morning.

This article says around 9pm.

Who is hunting at 9pm on a Friday night? Is that a normal time to hunt?

Also, that night/Saturday morning was when Hurricane Helene was going through, I believe. I wonder what type of weather was going on at the time?

ETA: Spartanburg had some pretty significant damage from the hurricane. This article confirms the storm rolled through Friday night & outlines some of the damage, "He worked his shift as Helene blew through, and when he got off around 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 27, his power was out and an electrical wire behind his apartment was sparking.":

I wonder if this is about more than hunting?
Press release says deputies were called to the property at 8pm. Reports say the dispute was about hunting land but maybe the shooting was not about hunting per se. Maybe the trespassers weren't hunting at the time, but scouting for a later poaching opportunity, scouting and planning where to put a blind or tree stand. but 8pm seems late unless they had already been hunting that day and were on their way out when caught? and yes, the weather would not seem to be conducive to hunting. Maybe not even animals being hunted, perhaps ginseng? I think they are in season between September and March or April. hmmm. Think I need more info before I know even how to speculate about this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spudxii
Back