Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:)

It would be cool if one of the principals pulled together a narrative or a timeline of how everything came together for posterity. Good work, everyone!

Is this the Grateful Dead fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bittersweet. I'm glad it's official but heartbroken for Jason's mom and family. And at the same time amazed at how far and wide Jason reached even after he was gone. I can't think of any other UID that have reached as far and eide as this case. This case, Jason, will help bring other missing people home and bring back names to those still waiting for their names and to be brought home to their loved ones. Jason's spirit will live on forever.

I saw this on the news, and I was like, I'll be damned.

I don't do this often, but I had a good cry after hearing the news earlier today. Very thankful Jason has his name back. Thank you to all who put in efforts to help identify Grateful Doe. Jason looked like a happy dude... I am sad he's gone... especially sad for his family who no doubt always kept hoping Jason was out there somewhere chasing his dreams. I'm sure that they hurt right now, having to deal with losing their beloved Jason for good. My thoughts are with all of his family. I hope that they will find comfort knowing even strangers -many strangers- cared about him and worked to bring him home. Rest in peace, Jason Callahan.

:rose:

I'm so thankful that Grateful Doe has his name back.

I'm also praying for his family and friends.

Hooray, hooray! I'm so glad he has his name back. I'm glad his family has answers, even if they are sad ones.

Omg I'm so excited!!!! Yay!!!

Does anyone know why all the Greatful Dead Fan's posts are locked???

Does anyone know why all the Greatful Dead Fan's posts are locked???

I closed them temporarily, rascal, to corral the posts reacting to today's news into one thread. If there's a topic you'd like to post about and the thread is locked, send me a pm and I'll open it.

Hey Everyone,

WOW. You all did a fantastic job. You never gave up on Grateful Doe.

I am so proud and grateful you are a part of Websleuths.

Shout out to the sleuths on Reddit.

It's time for law enforcement to realize legitimate true crime discussion forums can be a very useful tool.

Case by case I do believe we are winning over law enforcement.

Thank you so very much for all you do for those searching for answers about their loved ones.

Tricia

I can't find anything official but it's been posted on FB that it's been confirmed Jason Callahan is Grateful Doe. I want to see something official!! I'm excited and bawling here.

Death of Jason Callahan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jason Callahan
Born c. 1977
Disappeared June 1, 1995
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Died June 26, 1995 (aged 19)
Emporia, Greensville County, Virginia, United States
Cause of death Blunt-force trauma following a vehicle accident
Other names "Grateful Doe," "Jason Doe"
Website www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe
Jason Patrick Callahan, previously known as Grateful Doe and Jason Doe was a young American man killed in a vehicle accident on June 26, 1995, in Emporia, Greensville, Virginia. His body remained unidentified until December 9, 2015. In 2015, photographs surfaced of a young man, later identified as Jason Patrick Callahan on the Facebook page for the John Doe. DNA testing later confirmed Callahan was indeed the unidentified man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jason_Callahan

I've had goosebumps since I saw the news. SO excited for this. Now he can rest in peace.

I have to put in my two cents about his mom, as I've seen a few slightly negative posts about her....although I don't remember which thread (not sure if this will be deleted):

In 1995 it was a somewhat different time. I knew a few people who had "long lost" relatives; they would come and go, sometimes going and never really coming back for years and years. I don't think anyone is to blame for this. She knew he was a wild wind, a free spirit, doing what he loved to do. She probably just figured he was out doing what he loved and wondered if he'd stop by if he wanted to. Of course, it's hard to say what she may or may not have been thinking, but we can't judge-- especially now that she has a son to mourn.

Let's have a little sympathy and compassion for a woman who has just officially lost her son. It's a lot to take in.

I am so sad and happy at the same time about this. I know I already posted on this thread, but I'm just overwhelmed. I look at the photos of jason before his death and see him happy, smiling, enjoying himself. Being a typical 19 year old, enjoying and partying. I'm about his age. I'm a young girl that loves to party and listen to music. And I simply can't imagine having my own life cut short in this way. Poor sweet boy. Let him fly high as an angel now. Rest peacefully. You deserved more than this.

I have been following this case for years and am so happy he was identified but I feel so badly for his family. At least they have closure as to what happened to him.

Does anyone know if there is a complete timeline as to when he left his moms house to when he died? I don't remember how long it was. Thanks

:)

It would be cool if one of the principals pulled together a narrative or a timeline of how everything came together for posterity. Good work, everyone!

I agree, it would be nice to see an article in the media documenting how Jason's former room mate saw Greymetal's post on Imgur and the resulting Reddit discussions. I know people do this for the families instead of personal recognition, but I'm slightly bothered how the people who run the Grateful Doe Facebook page seem to be getting the majority of the credit. If it weren't for Greymetal's post and the room mates unearthing photos of Jason Callahan, his photos wouldn't have wound up on the Grateful Doe Facebook page where his mother recognized him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back