SC SC - Jimmy Dale Whitfield, 29, Seneca, 7 Mar 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP9296
Jimmy Dale Whitfield

Male, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 7" (67 Inches)
Weight 145 lbs

Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Blue

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact March 7, 1987
NamUs Case Created January 19, 2011
Last Known Location Map
Location Seneca, South Carolina
Oconee County

Circumstances of Disappearance

Missing since 03/07/1987

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The Doe Network: Jimmy Dale Whitfield - 4445DMSC

Whitfield was reported missing on March 7th, 1987. His wife, Wanda Whitfield, was the individual who reported Mr. Whitfield missing. The address of their residence at that time was Route 3, Seneca. Where the residence was located at that time is now Whitfield Lane off Coneross Creek Road near Friendship Road.

The incident report at that time, according to deputies, indicated an incident had occurred at the home. Afterwards, Mr. Whitfield reportedly packed two pairs of blue jeans and shirt and left the residence walking. Mr. Whitfield, also according to the incident report, took $2,000 in cash, made up of tax refund money and savings. The incident report also said that Mr. Whitfield called back two days later and asked his wife how she and the kids were doing. She then reported to deputies that had not seen or heard from Mr. Whitfield since, according to that March 1987 incident report.

Investigators believe that due to the good relationship that Mr. Whitfield had with his mom may lead to a reason why foul play was involved. No one has heard anything from Mr. Whitfield since his disappearance, according to Captain Greg Reed of the Criminal Investigations Division of the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been or are persons of interest in the case so far, according to Captain Reed, but no arrests have ever been made.

Oconee County Sheriff's Office

The Doe Network: Jimmy Dale Whitfield - 4445DMSC

Whitfield was reported missing on March 7th, 1987. His wife, Wanda Whitfield, was the individual who reported Mr. Whitfield missing. The address of their residence at that time was Route 3, Seneca. Where the residence was located at that time is now Whitfield Lane off Coneross Creek Road near Friendship Road.

The incident report at that time, according to deputies, indicated an incident had occurred at the home. Afterwards, Mr. Whitfield reportedly packed two pairs of blue jeans and shirt and left the residence walking. Mr. Whitfield, also according to the incident report, took $2,000 in cash, made up of tax refund money and savings. The incident report also said that Mr. Whitfield called back two days later and asked his wife how she and the kids were doing. She then reported to deputies that had not seen or heard from Mr. Whitfield since, according to that March 1987 incident report.

Investigators believe that due to the good relationship that Mr. Whitfield had with his mom may lead to a reason why foul play was involved. No one has heard anything from Mr. Whitfield since his disappearance, according to Captain Greg Reed of the Criminal Investigations Division of the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been or are persons of interest in the case so far, according to Captain Reed, but no arrests have ever been made.

Oconee County Sheriff's Office

I'm new to this but I've been looking into matching missing people to does in my downtime at work and it's very interesting to me! I found what I think could maybe potentially be a good match, but I'm not 100% sure if it's worth submitting since this is my first finding.

Tom Green County John Doe Namus ID UP4085

This doe has a very intense side profile, but I haven't been able to find a pic of Jimmy from the side. What made me think of a connection is their teeth - the reconstruction of the doe has a bit of a gap between the front teeth, but otherwise the shape, size and look of the teeth/smile are similar to me. The doe and Jimmy are of similar height, weight, and ethnicity and the time of death of the doe vs disappearance of Jimmy is about 3 months. Yes, they are about 1100 miles apart, but 17 hours doesn't seem a wild amount of space to drive within 3 months. I just don't have any connection on how or why Jimmy may have ended up in Texas if he is that doe.

This may be totally out of left field and not a match but I just felt called to put it out there.

I'm new to this but I've been looking into matching missing people to does in my downtime at work and it's very interesting to me! I found what I think could maybe potentially be a good match, but I'm not 100% sure if it's worth submitting since this is my first finding.

Tom Green County John Doe Namus ID UP4085

This doe has a very intense side profile, but I haven't been able to find a pic of Jimmy from the side. What made me think of a connection is their teeth - the reconstruction of the doe has a bit of a gap between the front teeth, but otherwise the shape, size and look of the teeth/smile are similar to me. The doe and Jimmy are of similar height, weight, and ethnicity and the time of death of the doe vs disappearance of Jimmy is about 3 months. Yes, they are about 1100 miles apart, but 17 hours doesn't seem a wild amount of space to drive within 3 months. I just don't have any connection on how or why Jimmy may have ended up in Texas if he is that doe.

This may be totally out of left field and not a match but I just felt called to put it out there.
Is there a way I can message you directly?

Found an article from late 2022 about Jimmy, behind a paywall. I'll copy and paste it below.

SENECA — It’s been more than 35 years since Jimmy Whitfield disappeared and, for Selena Moore, the pain and grief over her missing son hasn’t improved with time.

“It’s gotten worse,” said Moore, now 80. “The holidays, that’s when it’s the roughest. On Mother’s Day, he always brought me three red roses. People say ‘he's been gone that long, just forget it,’ but you don't forget a kid.”

Reports in March 1987 said Whitfield had an argument with his wife, Wanda, packed a pair of pants, took $2.000 and walked out of his home in the Friendship Community near Seneca, leaving a wife and two children. Moore said she didn’t learn he was missing until six weeks after his reported disappearance. She said she thinks about him often,but doesn’t believe he ran away from his family.

“Sometimes, you sit back and you think, ‘if somebody did do something to him how did he die? Did he suffer anything? Or if he got in a fight and something happened,’” she told The Journal. “Then you think, ‘if he did walk off, what caused him to and not ever get in touch with nobody.’ Now, that is a funny feeling. People really don’t know what you go through.”

“I just don't believe he would have walked out,” she added. “He wouldn’t have left those kids. Even if somebody walks out, sometime, they get to thinking about home.”

Moore said her son started working insulating homes as a teenager, around age 15 or 16. He was still doing that work before he disappeared.

“He worked hard all his life. He was a good man,” she said. There ain't nobody perfect, but he was good. He loved his wife and family.”

Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw was a new deputy at the sheriff's office when Whitfield was reported missing.
"I remember walking some land in Seneca with James (former sheriff Singleton)," Crenshaw said. "We had some probes and we walked the property looking for shallow graves. We felt we had a direction in that case, but the investigators at that time came to a dead end.”
A reward is being offered for anyone with information about the disappearance of Josh Ivester leading to solving the case. Those with tips can call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC (888-724-6372) or the sheriff’s office criminal investigation bureau at (864) 718-1052 and ask for Jimmy Dixon. Tips can be made online at oconeesccrimestoppers.com, by visiting p3tips.com and clicking “submit a new tip,” or via mobile phone by downloading the P3 Tips App on your Apple or Android device.

Submitting a tip to the Crime Stoppers website and the P3tips app makes anonymous dialog with tipsters easier, according to officials. Tipsters should record their tip number and are encouraged to check back often on the website or app, according to Crime Stoppers of Oconee County coordinator Helen Westmoreland.

JUN 25, 2024
[...]

Investigators with the coroner’s office and the Anderson Police Department responded around 7 a.m. Sunday and “were able to locate several more bones and items that will assist in the investigation,” according to the release.

“The skeletal remains appear to have been in the area for a long period of time and were scattered across a large area,” the release said. “The identity of the skeletal remains have not been identified and will require further investigation to include DNA analysis which could take several months and the assistance of an anthropologist.”

[...]

Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw told The Journal on Monday his office contacted Anderson officials over the weekend about the discovery. The sheriff’s office has multiple open cases involving people who have disappeared and may be presumed dead but have not been found:

• Pamela Faith Roach, missing since February 2019,
• Laura Ann Anders, missing since February 2019,
• Tammy Stubblefield, missing since February 2019 (Walhalla Police case),
• Joshua Scott Ivester, missing since February 2021,
• Jimmy Whitfield, missing since 1987, and
• Sheila Ann Carver, missing since 1998.

[...]

Was the wife ruled as beyond suspicion?
Any other witnesses?
eg Were the kids able to verify anything about the argument, his departure - or phone call 2 days later?

Was the wife ruled as beyond suspicion?
Any other witnesses?
eg Were the kids able to verify anything about the argument, his departure - or phone call 2 days later?
From what I've been able to find:
wife seems suspicious
no witnesses
don't think the police asked the kids

Overall I really believe there's been a lack of interest from this county in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back