SC SC - Johnny Lamar Brown, 44, Myrtle Beach, 3 Aug 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OLG was game to check it out but I hope I yelled at her enough to skip it. No way. I'm still raising kids who need me.

Thank goodness! I think the police are at The Hill quite frequently, so it's safe to say they've got that covered. I'm sure they've asked around over there. Whew.... I'm glad you changed your minds!

I've talked to many locals here and the one question everyone keeps asking is, "Why did the family let Johnny go to Family Kingdom alone if he was a special needs person?". I've also heard many times "There's something strange about that story". These are just regular folks who've seen it on the news and don't really follow the case. I never really know how to answer them. Family Kingdom is about a 5 minute drive from their motel (I think the walk would be about the same during the busy tourist season when the Blvd, is bumper to bumper, but it could be longer). The family lets Johnny go, without a wallet or any proper ID, and then proceed to go to dinner or whatever. They don't supply him with a map, directions, or anything else but a room key to assure that he'll get back to the hotel safely. This is supposedly his first big trip away from home and Julie said they were even nervous about bringing him (was that because of his special needs or , as we have recently learned, because he's an "alcoholic"?). I'd like to know if there was any kind of disagreement that caused him to want to go off by himself or if the family wanted some time without him. It's hard to plead his case with people when they are suspicious just from watching news reports.

Julie seems to be dissing CUE now and I got the same type of comments from her about the MBPD liason. That's confusing, too. We hear how great the MBPD has been to them, so why the sudden change from "not helpful" to knights in shinig armor? I believe the MBPD is treating them well and what they've done has been admirable for this family. I listen to my scanner at home (I'm just nosey like that) and LE is BUSY around here. I have so much gratitude for what they do because they get some pretty whacky calls.

Julie hasn't made it to the second truck stop yet. OK, she's busy, I get that. So, why haven't all of her friends and neighbors done it for her? They seem to want to give her all kinds of advice, so why don't they run over there and do it? Why hasn't she followed through on many of the contacts and advice that Nonni Brenda has given her?

I'm thinking now that Johnny sounds like a somewhat large portion of people in Myrtle Beach. We have lots of transients and people who would probably be classified as "special needs' but they find places to live and eat. They also find drugs and alcohol. The only difference I can see with Johnny is that he is not used to being on his own away from Cartersville. Can he learn enough skills and make enough friends to survive here? Probably. Is he at risk for bad things to happen to him? Probably. My point is, how much more can we really do? I was thinking about The G-town newspaper not doing the story and I wonder if they're being told not to bother. My family even asks me when I'm going to give this up because they feel I've been duped into thinking things that weren't quite the truth.

Julie says they are coming back here near the end of the month. Why? There have been no sightings and they're now thinking he's moved more to the west.

I've noticed that some of the businesses, where there were flyers, no longer have them up. Is it because people who don't even follow this story on WS have their doubts?Johnny is able to call home and he was able to get through at least once that we know of. He must know that if he really needs help the police will do that, regardless of his fear of them (and why s that??). I don't think anyone is holding him against his will for any reason. It wouldn't make sense to do that. I do believe he may have gotten in with some people who use drugs and drink. He might be having a good time, for all we know. He CAN make the call home, so should we believe that he just doesn't want to, for whatever reason?

I don't know where I'm going with this except that I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I don't know if the posters are a good idea or a bad one. I don't know which direction he's headed for. I don't know if he's OK. The family has figured he's in another part of the state. I think that instead of making special trips all over the place to hang up flyers etc, I 'm going to keep them in my car, with tape, tacks etc and put them up when I'm visiting other places. I also think I can mail flyers to churches and other groups rather than trying to hunt down a person to speak with. I can ask them to mention Johnny during their church services, meetings, etc. We take mini road trips almost every week-end, so while I'm doing that I can put some posters up. I can't keep running all over the country side without some kind of clue as to where Johnny might be. I certainly can't go to Mauldin or 96. I am going to have to rely more on LE and since they are so good to the family I'm going to have to trust that they are working on this diligently. I'm not giving up---just scaling back. I guess what pushed me over the edge was hearing about the things that Julie and her "friends" haven't done. Plus, the question that keeps nagging me and others , why did they let him go to the Family Kingdom with no directions or ID???? Not blaming them--just haven't heard a really good explanation for that. Sorry this is so long, but I woke up with all of this on my mind and had to get it out.

The waitress, will that be the one who is interviewed on the TV footage?

Have you been sippin' the cooking sherry, Miss james??????:what:
I've seen the Hill and I am serious, you do not want to be there! They have drive-bys, drug dealers, and all that there. The police station is nearby just for the sake of convenience! They save gas having it so close! You and OLG can go to the Hill and I'll stay here and PRAY:please: for your safety!!!!

haha I'm a convicted drug dealer :P

The waitress, will that be the one who is interviewed on the TV footage?

No. That waitress was from the BBQ House. The one that saw Johnny with Roger was from a Waffle House.

OLG was game to check it out but I hope I yelled at her enough to skip it. No way. I'm still raising kids who need me.

:blowkiss: I would never do anything that made anyone I'm with feel uncomfortable. Especially you.. you are a doll!!

A couple things- I have the feeling Johnny may be more than an alcoholic.. have since the whole Roger story came into play which is why I wanted to go into "The Hill" to distribute flyers and talk to the people on the streets to see if they have seen him around (with or without Roger). If Johnny is a drug addict that could explain his speech issues, his fear of police, his sudden lack of urgency (after the first couple days of frantic calling home) to get a hold of his family. It could also explain the secrecy of the family, the changing stories etc. They don't want us to know because they fear we will stop looking.

If Angie quit Waffle house the police can still find her, her employment records will have her full name, address and social security number. If she's "missing" since coming into contact with Johnny and Roger and police can't find her then there is much more to this story That's too much of a coincidence IMO and I sure hope someone (the police) has reported her as such and are actively searching for her. If not, I'd like to know why.

I still think flyers at "The Hill" are a good idea, especially since there have been no new sightings of him. I get that people think I'm being stupid or careless by being willing to go into that area but if you have followed my posts through the years here at WS (goodness, just look at my name lol) you wouldn't question my ability to "fit in" in such an area. These people simply do not scare me.. I used to be one of them (different time, different place, but the same type of person). I don't think going to all the pretty touristy areas is really searching for someone when there is a chance they could be in an unpleasant one instead (and I do think this is probably the case, I have a huge hunch that Johnny is a crack head and THAT is the family's secret.)

Could the town the sister be talking about be Mullins in Marion county? Ninety Six is in Greenwood County. They are both a haul from the beach. Why does she think this.. where did she get these ideas from?

I have always known you were pretty special .

Don't you dare go in there by yourself .We'll talk .

A couple things- I have the feeling Johnny may be more than an alcoholic.. have since the whole Roger story came into play which is why I wanted to go into "The Hill" to distribute flyers and talk to the people on the streets to see if they have seen him around (with or without Roger). If Johnny is a drug addict that could explain his speech issues, his fear of police, his sudden lack of urgency (after the first couple days of frantic calling home) to get a hold of his family. It could also explain the secrecy of the family, the changing stories etc. They don't want us to know because they fear we will stop looking.

If Angie quit Waffle house the police can still find her, her employment records will have her full name, address and social security number. If she's "missing" since coming into contact with Johnny and Roger and police can't find her then there is much more to this story That's too much of a coincidence IMO and I sure hope someone (the police) has reported her as such and are actively searching for her. If not, I'd like to know why.

I still think flyers at "The Hill" are a good idea, especially since there have been no new sightings of him. I get that people think I'm being stupid or careless by being willing to go into that area but if you have followed my posts through the years here at WS (goodness, just look at my name lol) you wouldn't question my ability to "fit in" in such an area. These people simply do not scare me.. I used to be one of them (different time, different place, but the same type of person). I don't think going to all the pretty touristy areas is really searching for someone when there is a chance they could be in an unpleasant one instead (and I do think this is probably the case, I have a huge hunch that Johnny is a crack head and THAT is the family's secret.)

Could the town the sister be talking about be Mullins in Marion county? Ninety Six is in Greenwood County. They are both a haul from the beach. Why does she think this.. where did she get these ideas from?

OLG, I would never say you were stupid for wanting to go to the Hill, I am only fearful of you going there. If it doesn't bother you, go for it. I'm in agreement that the touristy places are perhaps not where he'll be found, but he was spotted at the Flea Market, Dennys, the Bar-BQ place etc. All of those could be considered toutist places ( and locals places). But I also went to Burgess and Socastee--they aren't the pretty tourist hot spots. I'm not putting up flyers at the nice little shops, but in areas where the people he could've hooked up with might reside. I don't know if those are homeless people, criminals, druggies or what.

Is the girl from the Waffle House really missing or did she just quit her job and move on? I do think it's an important part of this story, too.

How did Johnny end up in Surfside, alone, after the initial meeting up with Roger? Who's the white guy he a drink with at the bar in Surfside? I have so many questions and I don't know if we'll ever know all the answers.

I have had some suspicions about Johnny's possible substance abuse issues, but I already speak my mind and then feel like people might think I'm bashing the victim, so I hold back on that and other things that nag at me. appreciate your honest take on that.

I guess the family doesn't owe us anything in the way of honesty, but I do hope they've been honest with LE. We're finding out new information every day about Johnny and I wish they had been more forthcoming about his issues earlier. It changes everything--even where people should be looking. So, I say, if you think by going to Hill that you'll have some luck then go there and see what you can find out. I don't feel comfortable doing that, but we all have choices. You have really been in Johnny's corner since the beginning and that is in his favor, for sure. Good luck and please be careful!!!

No. That waitress was from the BBQ House. The one that saw Johnny with Roger was from a Waffle House.

So, according to NonniB's report and the TV report at the start of the thread, Johnny goes to family kingdom at about 5.30pm
according to the TV, he wandered off, according to family he went to Family Kingdom with 20 dollars and his room key.

When is the visit to the Waffle house made by the family, cos it cant be on the friday 3rd, where did they get the fliers, so when?

Melanie (the waitress at BBQ House)is so called the last person to see Johnny as of the TV report which was around 14th august, so does that mean the Waffle house event was after this?
What fridays were the family in Myrtle to have gone to Waffle House?

Like OLG says, LE can track Angie, so that should already be cleared up.
Where does the white woman who apparently Johnny was seen with fit in to this?
Where did NamUS get the fingerprints from, surely that only comes with a criminal record?

I have always known you were pretty special .

Don't you dare go in there by yourself .We'll talk .

I'm pretty busy with school right now anyway, as you can probably tell by my lack of posting here. I have today off, thank goodness.

I just hate to see an area be passed up because people are afraid to go there (which I totally understand, it's not a good area and I don't blame people for not wanting to go there!!) when I'm not. I don't know, I'm starting to wonder about lots of things.. Johnny knows how to contact his family an is choosing not to... maybe there is a reason for that.

So, according to NonniB's report and the TV report at the start of the thread, Johnny goes to family kingdom at about 5.30pm
according to the TV, he wandered off, according to family he went to Family Kingdom with 20 dollars and his room key.

When is the visit to the Waffle house made by the family, cos it cant be on the friday 3rd, where did they get the fliers, so when?

Melanie (the waitress at BBQ House)is so called the last person to see Johnny as of the TV report which was around 14th august, so does that mean the Waffle house event was after this?

Where did NamUS get the fingerprints from, surely that only comes with a criminal record?

I think we could use a timeline of some sort. I am just as confused as you are!

I've talked to many locals here and the one question everyone keeps asking is, "Why did the family let Johnny go to Family Kingdom alone if he was a special needs person?". I've also heard many times "There's something strange about that story". These are just regular folks who've seen it on the news and don't really follow the case. I never really know how to answer them. Family Kingdom is about a 5 minute drive from their motel (I think the walk would be about the same during the busy tourist season when the Blvd, is bumper to bumper, but it could be longer). The family lets Johnny go, without a wallet or any proper ID, and then proceed to go to dinner or whatever. They don't supply him with a map, directions, or anything else but a room key to assure that he'll get back to the hotel safely. This is supposedly his first big trip away from home and Julie said they were even nervous about bringing him (was that because of his special needs or , as we have recently learned, because he's an "alcoholic"?). I'd like to know if there was any kind of disagreement that caused him to want to go off by himself or if the family wanted some time without him. It's hard to plead his case with people when they are suspicious just from watching news reports.

Julie seems to be dissing CUE now and I got the same type of comments from her about the MBPD liason. That's confusing, too. We hear how great the MBPD has been to them, so why the sudden change from "not helpful" to knights in shinig armor? I believe the MBPD is treating them well and what they've done has been admirable for this family. I listen to my scanner at home (I'm just nosey like that) and LE is BUSY around here. I have so much gratitude for what they do because they get some pretty whacky calls.

Julie hasn't made it to the second truck stop yet. OK, she's busy, I get that. So, why haven't all of her friends and neighbors done it for her? They seem to want to give her all kinds of advice, so why don't they run over there and do it? Why hasn't she followed through on many of the contacts and advice that Nonni Brenda has given her?

I'm thinking now that Johnny sounds like a somewhat large portion of people in Myrtle Beach. We have lots of transients and people who would probably be classified as "special needs' but they find places to live and eat. They also find drugs and alcohol. The only difference I can see with Johnny is that he is not used to being on his own away from Cartersville. Can he learn enough skills and make enough friends to survive here? Probably. Is he at risk for bad things to happen to him? Probably. My point is, how much more can we really do? I was thinking about The G-town newspaper not doing the story and I wonder if they're being told not to bother. My family even asks me when I'm going to give this up because they feel I've been duped into thinking things that weren't quite the truth.

Julie says they are coming back here near the end of the month. Why? There have been no sightings and they're now thinking he's moved more to the west.

I've noticed that some of the businesses, where there were flyers, no longer have them up. Is it because people who don't even follow this story on WS have their doubts?Johnny is able to call home and he was able to get through at least once that we know of. He must know that if he really needs help the police will do that, regardless of his fear of them (and why s that??). I don't think anyone is holding him against his will for any reason. It wouldn't make sense to do that. I do believe he may have gotten in with some people who use drugs and drink. He might be having a good time, for all we know. He CAN make the call home, so should we believe that he just doesn't want to, for whatever reason?

I don't know where I'm going with this except that I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I don't know if the posters are a good idea or a bad one. I don't know which direction he's headed for. I don't know if he's OK. The family has figured he's in another part of the state. I think that instead of making special trips all over the place to hang up flyers etc, I 'm going to keep them in my car, with tape, tacks etc and put them up when I'm visiting other places. I also think I can mail flyers to churches and other groups rather than trying to hunt down a person to speak with. I can ask them to mention Johnny during their church services, meetings, etc. We take mini road trips almost every week-end, so while I'm doing that I can put some posters up. I can't keep running all over the country side without some kind of clue as to where Johnny might be. I certainly can't go to Mauldin or 96. I am going to have to rely more on LE and since they are so good to the family I'm going to have to trust that they are working on this diligently. I'm not giving up---just scaling back. I guess what pushed me over the edge was hearing about the things that Julie and her "friends" haven't done. Plus, the question that keeps nagging me and others , why did they let him go to the Family Kingdom with no directions or ID???? Not blaming them--just haven't heard a really good explanation for that. Sorry this is so long, but I woke up with all of this on my mind and had to get it out.

We'd be pretty sorry WSers if we weren't suspicious and trying to figure this out.
I hear you ,and sadly I think both you and OLG are on the right track. I think it's been in the back of all of our minds.

The posters are not a bad idea. It may be the only thing that Johnny responds to.

I think the family has heard something about those 2 places she mentioned that didn't have anything to do with people looking for jobs or nice folks helping others out .
I'd like to point out that not knowing the exact names of the 2 towns ,how they are spelled or pronounced ,is just an example of what it's like trying to get info from Johnny's sister. And the "why there" that we're left hanging with is another example .Seems important bits of info are always left out.
But then,she doesn't owe us a thing . It's our decision to stay engaged or not.

Right now I'm thinking not. I flip flop that way .

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one in a few.

There's another news interview with MBPD that Johnny was last seen on Aug 5th at an ice cream parlor with a white woman.

I was told the night of Aug 3rd police called hotel about Johnny ,got a no,ran him through some data base (must have gotten his name) ,came up with nothing ,and took him to the county line near Surfside.
The next day ,Aug 4th ,around 2ish he went to the BBQ House in Surfside.

I think the Roger incident was around this time ,but I'm not positive .Could the white woman at the ice cream parlor be the waitress from Waffle House?

I do believe the sightings around the flea market ,Old Towne Pottery ,Denny's and the McDonalds ,were really Johnny. They were all sightings from unrelated people and a dog hit in those spots.
Those areas aren't that far from Surfside Beach Resort and the Bar and Grill where a waitress told us she thought it was Johnny who came in with a young white guy.
My thought on that are,maybe Johnny really was trying to reconnect with his family and thought the Resort (snicker) looked like the Seacrest.Bellyup said he would just hang around by the road. There's a pier right there,also.
I could see him asking someone to buy him a beer ,especially if he's an alcoholic and hasn't had one in awhile.

We'd be pretty sorry WSers if we weren't suspicious and trying to figure this out.
I hear you ,and sadly I think both you and OLG are on the right track. I think it's been in the back of all of our minds.

The posters are not a bad idea. It may be the only thing that Johnny responds to.

I think the family has heard something about those 2 places she mentioned that didn't have anything to do with people looking for jobs or nice folks helping others out .
I'd like to point out that not knowing the exact names of the 2 towns ,how they are spelled or pronounced ,is just an example of what it's like trying to get info from Johnny's sister. And the "why there" that we're left hanging with is another example .Seems important bits of info are always left out.
But then,she doesn't owe us a thing . It's our decision to stay engaged or not.

Right now I'm thinking not. I flip flop that way .

I'm a flip flopper, too! I think I'm leaning more towards flop at the present time...

I think Nonni Brenda should be a dentist because it's like pulling teeth to get a straight answer from Julie. She's doing a fabulous job and her interviewing skills are terrific! I wish she had some truth serum in her purse, so she could get every last bit of the facts once and for all. I hate that she has to pry it out of them. It must be exhausting for NB!

Yes, WHY those towns? Does that Roger guy have connections there? I feel like we're on a wild goose chase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeMi2019