Found Deceased SC - Lionel Cervantes, 8, Autistic, Non-Verbal, vid 11am going through fence Bells Crossing Elem Schl, Sinpsonville, 12 Sep 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He looks tiny and I think it’s possible he could squeeze through a gap in the gate at schools in my district? Most gaps wouldn’t allow it, but a tiny boy might fit through some locked chain-link fence gates.

And an adult could not follow in that scenario because they wouldn’t fit. They’d have to go a very long way around to catch up with him. Tragic.

If they're charging them, then they're not randomly going into the school.
There are also schools with a public library, cafe, and other areas open to the public. There are seldom any fences around school buildings here in Sweden.

My local elementary school has seven different exits from the building and nine different exits from gates. These are the number of exits required by fire regulations for a building of our size. I don’t know how big this specific school was, but most counties will not approve taxes to cover the cost to staff people whose only job is to guard exits. I can tell you that even with 1:1 staffing for students with high needs there are still always opportunities for students to find ways to elope from the premises. It is heartbreaking and awful but nearly impossible to guarantee against in most school settings in the US. My youngest child eloped and attempted to walk home once and got more than a block away - that was with a staff member less than ten feet away from him and following immediately behind him, because he could run fast and move between barriers (like bushes) that the staff member couldn’t fit through. If the staff in this scenario failed to follow protocol, they will be held accountable. It’s just important to remember that sometimes we can do everything right and bad things still happen, and in situations like this the staff who worked the most closely with the child may also be suffering this loss and the guilt and pain of being unable to keep their student safe.

Last edited:
There are also schools with a public library, cafe, and other areas open to the public. There are seldom any fences around school buildings here in Sweden.
This boy attended a U.S. elementary school.

It’s just important to remember that sometimes we can do everything right and bad things still happen, and in situations like this the staff who worked the most closely with the child may also be suffering this loss and the guilt and pain of being unable to keep their student safe.

I bet the staff member(s) in charge of him are suffering a lot, too.

Not at every exit point. Entrance points and methods of entry usually are. To staff and monitor all points of exit would not be feasible.

That's how I feel about my child's school, it's not realistic or feasible (though deep down I wish it were).

My local elementary school has seven different exits from the building and nine different exits from gates. These are the number of exits required by fire regulations for a building of our size. I don’t know how big this specific school was, but most counties will not approve taxes to cover the cost to staff people whose only job is to guard exits. I can tell you that even with 1:1 staffing for students with high needs there are still always opportunities for students to find ways to elope from the premises. It is heartbreaking and awful but nearly impossible to guarantee against in most school settings in the US. My youngest child eloped and attempted to walk home once and got more than a block away - that was with a staff member less than ten feet away from him and following immediately behind him, because he could run fast and move between barriers (like bushes) that the staff member couldn’t fit through. If the staff in this scenario failed to follow protocol, they will be held accountable. It’s just important to remember that sometimes we can do everything right and bad things still happen, and in situations like this the staff who worked the most closely with the child may also be suffering this loss and the guilt and pain of being unable to keep their student safe.
It's so important to hear this from someone who has been in a similar situation. Especially with school districts more concerned about preventing unauthorized entry to the building, it is going to be very difficult to find the funding and frankly, concern, to prevent unauthorized exit at this point.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maym
Back