SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The company is making their point and getting some headlines but I wouldn’t expect them to spend much chasing money they will never get. I don’t think BOA is losing sleep over this and will probably pay very little.
What's the most shocking to me is how easily AM was able to manipulate and/or persuade high ranking bank officials, attorneys, judges, LE, clerks, etc. into doing things that are clearly illegal.

When I formed a Company it was quite the rigorous process. I had to have oodles of documented and certified paperwork to even open a business checking account.

Boggles the mind MOO

A federal grand jury indicted Russell Lucius Laffitte with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud and misapplication of bank funds.

Court documents indicate his trial is set to begin on Nov. 8 in Charleston.

Mark Tinsley, Attorney for Mallory Beach Family, is appealing the decision by Judge D Hall last week to sever Parker's from the lawsuit.

“I wish it were as simple as Parker’s simply getting their own trial. The Beach family wants to hold everyone who contributed to the death of their daughter accountable in one trial.

Judge grants motion to separate Parker’s Corp. in Mallory Beach civil lawsuit

What's the most shocking to me is how easily AM was able to manipulate and/or persuade high ranking bank officials, attorneys, judges, LE, clerks, etc. into doing things that are clearly illegal.

When I formed a Company it was quite the rigorous process. I had to have oodles of documented and certified paperwork to even open a business checking account.

Boggles the mind MOO
agreed! even with my 100 plus year old company... i fill out tons of forms w/ BOA when we open a new affiliated account!

agreed! even with my 100 plus year old company... i fill out tons of forms w/ BOA when we open a new affiliated account!
And same for sending wires -- there are all kinds of compliance checks about where the money is coming from and where it's going, and it gets additional scrutiny if it's over $10k.

Murdaugh murders and Laffitte trial: Cases advance in criminal, civil courts in SC

Laffitte discovery motion identifies possible witness list

In the Laffitte case, meanwhile, on Sept. 13, Laffitte’s attorneys, E. Bart Daniel and Marshall “Matt” Austin, filed a motion for discovery asking prosecutors to grant their client’s constitutional right to access the materials that the government intends to use as evidence against Laffitte.

Among the items listed in the motion were any and all notes, observations, emails, and audio or video recordings from all meetings between the government officials and “targets, subjects or witnesses,” including:

Russell Lucius Laffitte
Richard Alexander (“Alex”) Murdaugh;
Corey Howerton Fleming (former attorney)
Chris Wilson (attorney)
Curtis Edward Smith
Charles A. (“Charlie”) Laffitte, Jr. (banker, family member)
Gray Laffitte Henderson (banker, family member)
Jerry Rivers
Spencer Anwan Roberts

Latest twists in Murdaugh murder mystery: ‘More like ‘Ozark’ every day’​

Two men who are “cousins” to some of the Walterboro Cowboys, a violent Bloods-affiliated street gang that originated in the so-called “Eastside” of this small city right off I-95, are the latest characters dragged into the notorious Murdaugh murder mystery — and one said he is being “railroaded.”

Meanwhile, one member of the gang told The Post that “Alex Murdaugh runs half the drugs in this county.”

<snipped>

South Carolina Assistant Attorney General Creighton Waters said in court that money “misappropriated” by Murdaugh went through his alleged accomplice, Walterboro resident Curtis “Cousin Eddie” Smith, 62, who’s in jail after being indicted with Murdaugh in late June on sweeping drug and conspiracy charges. From Smith, the AG said, the money “continued downstream” to [Jerry] Rivers and [Spencer Anwan] Roberts.

<continues>

<snipped>

…. Lisa Smith of Walterboro, who used to be married to Smith’s brother, Bill Ray, said “Cousin Eddie” was a hard-working logger and good guy until he was injured on the job and developed a painkiller addiction.

“Then he started changing,” Lisa said. “We also thought it was really strange when Eddie showed up at a relative’s funeral some years ago with Alex Murdaugh. We were like, what’s that about? What are these two doing together? Now we know.”

But Lisa said she knew something was going on with Smith when he began coming to the bank where she worked in Walterboro to cash big checks that he never deposited into his account.

“I couldn’t cash them because I was kin,” she said. “But I asked him, ‘What are you doing, where is this money coming from?’ and he never answered...” <snipped>

She, like a number of other residents of Colleton and Hampton counties interviewed by The Post last week, wonder if Murdaugh’s alleged drug-running could involve smuggling by sea as well. …

Alex’s Drug Connections Intensify | 20 Sept. 2022

1) Seton Tucker mentions she recently called JMM to ask if he participated in the SLED search of the river area near his property. JMM stated he was driving by and saw the SLED folks searching. He stopped to speak with them but he says he did not participate in their search. (BBM)
Interesting? Contradiction with what’s been published by MSM.

2) There are now three people that the state is trying to tie to Alex Murdaugh and his alleged drug dealing. The NY Post brings the Walterboro Cowboys gang back up in the conversation.

And more …

Last edited:
‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Scrutiny Of Greg Alexander Ramps Up

In recent years, Yemassee, S.C. police chief Greg Alexander has emerged as a staunch ally of of the family. In fact, Hampton County residents have referred to him as the Murdaughs’ “fixer.”

Just over a month after his wife and son were murdered, Murdaugh wrote a $5,000 check to Alexander (above) – which I first reported on back in March.

Alexander told me at the time the money was intended as a loan for his parents and that he was just a “pass-through.” He declined to say whether the money had been repaid.

During the conversation, Alexander referred to Alex Murdaugh as a “longtime friend” who had helped his family in the past.

This wasn’t the only money Alexander received in recent months from his many Murdaugh connections. As I also reported back in March, Alexander raked in at least $5,500 in contributions to his failed bid for Hampton County sheriff from Murdaugh family members and allies.

The “Murdaugh” family name was mentioned more than forty times during the investigation into Smith’s death – and Alex Murdaugh’s brother and former law partner, Randy Murdaugh, has been linked to at least three potential attempts to manipulate the course of the original investigation.

To her credit, Sandy Smith has steadfastly maintained she does not care who is ultimately charged in connection with her son’s murder, only that charges are brought and justice is served.

As for Alexander’s role in the Smith saga, sources familiar with the situation claim he was tasked with “keeping tabs” on the family for someone – although they could not say for sure who allegedly made this request.

“Everyone assumed it was the Murdaughs,” one Hampton, S.C. source told me. “But there were a lot of people in (Stephen Smith’s) little black book.”

One thing is clear, though: Alexander stayed very close to the Smith family.

How close? Multiple sources familiar with the situation say the police chief fathered a child a few years ago with 26-year-old Stephanie Joyner, Stephen Smith’s twin sister – a family secret that has reportedly surfaced as the probe of Smith’s death approaches a point of critical mass.

I lived in Walterboro for a few years a while back and heard rumors about the Murdaugh family running drugs through airstrips located on their extensive land-holdings. As a previous poster has mentions, in many small Southern towns, any person or wealth is routinely rumored to have gotten wealthy by drug distribution. In fact, when I lived in South Georgia, a local jeweler successfully sued several posters on a local internet forum for slander for alleging he was distributing drugs.

The people I heard the rumors about were not Alex, and more likely cousins of some sort. I have always discounted these rumors, and still do.

Even if the currently reported rumors are accurate, AM's involvement would not likely be that of kingpin. If he were a bigwig, there should be millions of dollars floating around that doesn't seem to have been located. It has been discussed on this forum that his poor financial state is due to the high cost of his drug use ... but wouldn't a kingpin be able to get cheap/free drugs? If he were representing these people, I would suspect he was looking out for his suppliers ... not running a vast drug distribution empire.

I lived in Walterboro for a few years a while back and heard rumors about the Murdaugh family running drugs through airstrips located on their extensive land-holdings. As a previous poster has mentions, in many small Southern towns, any person or wealth is routinely rumored to have gotten wealthy by drug distribution. In fact, when I lived in South Georgia, a local jeweler successfully sued several posters on a local internet forum for slander for alleging he was distributing drugs.

The people I heard the rumors about were not Alex, and more likely cousins of some sort. I have always discounted these rumors, and still do.

Even if the currently reported rumors are accurate, AM's involvement would not likely be that of kingpin. If he were a bigwig, there should be millions of dollars floating around that doesn't seem to have been located. It has been discussed on this forum that his poor financial state is due to the high cost of his drug use ... but wouldn't a kingpin be able to get cheap/free drugs? If he were representing these people, I would suspect he was looking out for his suppliers ... not running a vast drug distribution empire.
I agree that the state of AM's finances is puzzling and that if he was drug running in addition to stealing money from clients AND getting revenue from whatever legit lawyering he was doing AND from his partnership in the law firm, AND was the beneficiary of a trust -- where was all the money going? I do not believe it all went to drugs. It's probably the biggest mystery in the case, but given some of the things he hinted at on the phone with Buster, I think some of it is stashed someplace, and that Buster either already knows where it is, or will be told in due course.

My mind is going to things like blackmail or mob protection money -- my opinion/speculation only.

Does this boat, "Bad Boys" (a 30 foot Grady White), belong to Alex Murdaugh?

Not sure but per The Daily Beast (dated Oct 2021)

Their motions, which were filed last week, all maintain that Murdaugh has been hiding money by shifting it between several unknown accounts and potentially even selling off property—including a Grady White boat named "Bad Boys"—after he turned all his affairs over to Buster Murdaugh.

And, there's this

Boat Directory 30-34 feet, in Edisto Beach, Sc

There is an interesting tidbit if you tap on the boat's name "Bad Boys" and then from the page you are taken to, tap on "Grady-White Boats, Inc" and go down to "Contact."

ETA: The same ES? Or, just a common name?

There is an interesting tidbit if you tap on the boat's name "Bad Boys" and then from the page you are taken to, tap on "Grady-White Boats, Inc" and go down to "Contact."

ETA: The same ES? Or, just a common name?
About ES and this case, I have read almost every word on this site and linked MSM and I am certain I never saw anything about “our” ES and marine work/boats. He was in lumber and trucking, stuff like that, but please correct me if I’m wrong. MOO.

My recollection is that “Bad Boys” is AM’s boat. I find this listing interesting because I was under the impression the boat had been sold, but I guess it’s still on the market.

Backing up here on this question, @Diddian and @Skigirl, the listing has an ES as “contact.” That’s too much of a coincidence!

Was “our” ES asked to handle this deal to take it a step away from AM? Or was he given this task as a payoff? What’s going on here? Wonder if receiver attorneys have seen this? SLED?

Last edited:
The sale listing for a 2007 Grady White 306 motorboat (V.I.N. # 1W7B13231F1002871), reportedly owned by Alex and/or Murdaugh, for sale on www.boattrader.com for $115,000.

i am serious when i say that i would be afraid to buy it; for fear of it later being seized for some reason or another. (not to mention the bad juju).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz