SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I am to weak to look away. This is in the top 3 threads I have followed. I'm addicted to audio books (and I mean 3 or more a week) and mysteries are one of my favorite. This case tops any fictional books I've read or listened to. I think everything that comes out has been twisted for so long that finding out the truth will never happen. We will only know what is feed to the public. JMHO

well...your audio book would have already let us know about the affairs!

I’m traveling today so can’t check until this evening, but I am fairly certain there were reports around the time of the double homicides that AM drove his father to a hospital in Charleston before stopping to talk to his mother and then returning to Moselle the night of June 7.

Anyone else here remember or have a link (I’m thinking it was either Island Packet or Post and Courier...but cannot recall whether their source was family or someone close to LE)?

Savannah not Charleston.

Alex Murdaugh told the S.C. Law Enforcement Division that he had been visiting his sick father, Randolph III, in the hospital in Savannah and returned to his family’s rural estate in Colleton County to find his wife, Maggie, and youngest son Paul killed.

Murdaugh slayings: Two killed in prominent Hampton, SC family

“Everybody took the word of Alex Murdaugh because when Gloria Satterfield fell down the stairs she had a traumatic brain injury, so she never woke up. She was in coma for 3 weeks in the hospital and died so was never able to explain. Mr. Murdaugh was the one who said their dogs were the one that caused her to trip and fall,” says Eric Bland the attorney for Gloria Satterfield’s estate.

Attorney for Gloria Satterfield’s estate comments on Murdaugh arrest, future prosecution | WCBD News 2

Murdaugh was willing to agree to a waiver of extradition in order to attend drug rehab out of state. The location of that rehab center was handed on a sheet of paper to the judge, but not released to the media. Asked after the hearing which state, Harpootlian said "none of your business — ever heard of that state?"

Alex Murdaugh bond is $20,000, no plea, after arrest in Hampton County

I agree......but I don't know that he really had any of those injuries, esp since the same person who said that also said that you don't flatten your own tire to commit suicide and is now claiming that he did exactly that. I don't see anything, from any of today's photos or videos that would show that kind of injury at all. MOO

The head shot in his jail booking photo shows no head/facial injury at all. Just a slight resemblance to Chad Daybell.

“If Alex Murdaugh and his family goes down, there’s a lot of people – maybe a whole system – going down with them,” one Hampton native told FITSNews. “There’s nobody who didn’t want to be on the Murdaughs’ payroll.”

Bingo. And I imagine that that works up the ladder as well as down, as I suggested in a previous post. A big, tangled web of corruption could be unraveled, if there is sufficient political will and public pressure to do it.

Bingo. And I imagine that that works up the ladder as well as down, as I suggested in a previous post. A big, tangled web of corruption could be unraveled, if there is sufficient political will and public pressure to do it.

May explain the silence from hampton residents to speak against them.

I mean, just anything they get in, they get out of,” Cook said of the Murdaugh family. “I’ve always been told that.”

He said he was scared of the Murdaughs because of “who they are.”

According to witnesses, Alex Murdaugh appeared to be more concerned with “orchestrating” a plan in the criminal investigation than he was about finding Mallory Beach.

This^^^^

‘Anything They Get In, They Get Out Of’: Bombshell Deposition Filed In Murdaugh Case

When South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh appeared in court Thursday on fraud charges, his lawyer spoke of his life deteriorating and his opioid addiction spiraling.

But the lawyer for a family suing Murdaugh said they were "casting a defense that doesn't exist."

Eric Bland, who is representing the estate of Murdaugh's former housekeeper -- whose death is now being investigated by police -- told CNN's Erin Burnett: "They have lied to them, they have taken money from them, they have misled them."
Alex Murdaugh's legal team is 'casting a defense that doesn't exist,' lawyer for his former housekeeper says

Friends remember homicide victim Maggie Murdaugh on her birthday

"Maggie has kind of gotten lost in all of this," said Welch. "She was a good friend and I really miss her a lot. Her mom and dad are wonderful people, I feel so bad for them, and I think about them a lot. I know the whole family is going through a lot."

"She is remembered as such a kind and gentle, funny lady who was such a big part of my sons' childhoods, and I’m thankful for that," she said. "She honestly never had a bad word to say about anyone. She was just genuinely so kind. But mostly, she was just so proud of her sons. She was a great mom to them — and to all their friends."

In an earlier statement to The Guardian, not long after Murdaugh's death, Tuten said, "I remember her to be the most loving devoted mother. She was always active in all of their activities and supportive in every way. She was always so hospitable, welcoming, and friendly."

"She supported local businesses and people," Tuten added. "She was a wonderful, beautiful person."
Yes, I couldn't agree more, poor Maggie has gotten lost among all of the "Bad Boys" Murdaughs.

Really is a shame for her and her family. I hope there are some answers for them in the very near future!

So you need only two of the 35 defined offenses to charge. Thank you, I totally read that too quickly and wrong! My apologies to all.

Since it's only 2, do you think SC is up for labeling crimes uncovered in these Murdaugh investigations as RICO and charge them under RICO?

Do you know if it has to be charged within the jurisdiction like the 14th Circuit or can a State's Attorney General Office charge RICO anywhere within the state themselves, since the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office has recused itself.

Now that a Hampton County bank, via it's Vice President, has been brought into one of the lawsuit/investigations touching the Murdaughs, can the Federal Government, because they insure it's depositor's money open a RICO investigation?
First, it can be the same type of crime/racketeering activity committed twice. For example mail fraud committed twice, once in September and once in October is enough. As long as it meets the other requirements -- e.g., committed within a ten year period and committed in connection with a criminal enterprise. The 35 crimes listed are just the type of crimes covered by the law. RICO is a federal law so I think any RICO charges against a defendant would be brought by the Feds. I'm not a RICO expert by any means. But that's my understanding. JMO.

Last edited:
Gloria Satterfield lawsuit is saying the Vice President of Palmetto State Bank assisted Attorney Fleming in filing the claims. That doesn't bode well for him I suppose, in the thick of it?

"The suit states that, following Satterfield's death on Feb. 26, Murdaugh acknowledged that he was at fault and introduced her family to his "good friend, Corey Fleming, so that Fleming could assist the sons in filing legal claims against Murdaugh for the wrongful death of their mother, with the assistance of a banker friend, Chad Westendorf."

Alex Murdaugh case: Death of Gloria Satterfield under investigation

Imagine both attorneys on your case are in it just to make money for themselves. AM gets to ‘appoint’ the other attorney to file the claims so the results can be just like he wants them to be. In reality she was sold out before it was ever filed.

Did she really need another attorney? Seems like AM could have filed the claim himself.

It makes you wonder how many other cases like this took place over the many years.

Kinda like everything Dick blathered on about today in the courtroom?? I was like, “Bro! Save it for the trial.” Talk about laying foundation (A John Prior favorite from the Vallow/Daybell case). MOO

That was sooooo obvious! He laid it on thick with gusto. It really seemed like he was at an audition for a speaking part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest