SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per some posts on the previous thread, there are thoughts that the Murdaugh family still has enough influence that some local people would be scared to cross them.

If that's the case, they wouldn't even need to get a "good ol' boy" on the jury. If any jurors worry that things said in the jury room may get back to the ears of the Murdaugh family, some jurors may self-censor their thoughts, ideas, etc. For sure Murdaugh and family will also know who the jurors are; would that info come into play long after a verdict? Basically, they don't need someone in person on the jury pushing for "not guilty" or arguing that things are not proven beyond reasonable doubt. Fear is a great motivator & may sway the jury even if there's not a Murdaugh ally in the jury room.

I'm surprised the prosecution didn't push for a change of venue.

MOO.
I am shocked the State didn't seek a change of venue as well. You're right about the prospect of 'fear' rather than an actual good ole' boy. Interesting.

Moo

I am shocked the State didn't seek a change of venue as well. You're right about the prospect of 'fear' rather than an actual good ole' boy. Interesting.

Moo

This request (change of venue) typically comes from the defense. For the prosecution to motion, they would have to show the court they believed they could not seat a jury here, and without evidence showing this to be true, the motion would be denied.

I think we know why the defense did not request a change -- they are exactly where they want to be! MOO

GREENVILLE, S.C. (FOX Carolina) - The murder trial for disbarred South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh began on Monday. The week will start with jury selection, which is expected to take several days.

Judge Clifton Newman has permitted news outlets including FOX Carolina to live stream audio from the jury proceedings. We will carry this live in the FOX Carolina News streaming and mobile apps, and on the FOX Carolina website.

Livestream audio available at the top of this article. Please note, the live stream may be muted for several minutes at a time when attorneys or potential jurors approach the bench to discuss confidential information.

They have asked a handful of potential jurors from the first group to stay back. Attorneys have some additional questions that will be handled one at a time in a back room with the court reporter. No audio. #AlexMurdaugh

Sounds like there were about 45 potential jurors in this first group …. That got whittled down pretty quick

This request (change of venue) typically comes from the defense. For the prosecution to motion, they would have to show the court they believed they could not seat a jury here, and without evidence showing this to be true, the motion would be denied.

I think we know why the defense did not request a change -- they are exactly where they want to be! MOO
I know, but it might have been worth a shot. :)

Last edited:

3:00 p.m.
– Judge Newman began asking questions specific to the case.

Anyone who had heard about the case, read about the case, or knew anything about the case was asked to stand. Over 30 people stood. Most said that they got their information from news coverage, podcasts, online sources, social media, or word of mouth.

He asked whether they had formed an opinion based on their knowledge and whether they could put that opinion aside and come to a verdict based only on the evidence presented in court. Several said yes and were excused.

Judge Newman asked everyone who had not heard of the case to stand up. Less than 10 jurors stood.
_________

Can you imagine our responses to the question of where did you heard about the case? Podcasts, Websleuths, YouTubers, documentaries, news, Facebook, Twitter ... and then the Judge's reaction LOL

In South Carolina— the judge is the only one who can question the potential jurors. That is different than some other states where lawyers can directly ask questions during jury selection. Here in SC — the lawyers submit the questions to the judge to ask. May make process faster.

Very interesting. I wonder if the judge is required to ask every question submitted by each side or if he is allowed to skip asking questions he may deem inappropriate or not pertaining to the issue of juror bias or ask the attorneys to rephrase a question.

Very interesting. I wonder if the judge is required to ask every question submitted by each side or if he is allowed to skip asking questions he may deem inappropriate or not pertaining to the issue of juror bias or ask the attorneys to rephrase a question.
Answered my own question...

Page 49........
"(B) Voir Dire. Except in death penalty cases, voir dire of prospective jurors shall be conducted by the court. Proposed voir dire must be submitted in writing at or before the case is called for trial. Proposed voir dire properly submitted and not asked by the court shall be made a part of the record at the request of the party submitting the questions."

South Carolina Criminal Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member