SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He testified PM's passcode was associated with his dob, not his exact dob.
I see. So, I guess that suggests PM might have used a derivative of his dob. Like, for example, if PM was using month and date, he might have added a digit to each. (Like instead of a code of 0101 for January 1, he'd use 0202. I don't know PM's own dob, so that is just an example.)

I would expect that if an individual does this, they tend to do it consistently for various passcodes.

But the tech guy said it took until March 2022, that's 9 months, to open PM's phone. Wouldn't the person's birthdate be the first code you'd try?

I thought the tech guy said he didn’t get the phone until March 2022, if so he only had it for a few days. Maybe I heard wrong.
I do think it’s interesting that Alex made a big deal, in one of his interviews, about how secretive Paul was so nobody knew his passcode, but his passcode was his birthday. Really? That’s not so secretive.
Also, the last tech guy just put to rest all the bluster about faraday bags from the defense.

Controversy in court now about whether AM uttered in front of LE "I didn't do right by you, Paul."
Defense asking if it could have been misheard and supplying sound alike phrases.
That slowing down of AM saying that reminded me of the OJ glove…but imo this time it didn’t work in the defense’s favor…not a Johnny Cochrane moment.

Agent Croft testified that there was a third interview of AM on August 11, 2021. Regarding the August 11 interview and whether he followed up with AM about his purported statement of "I did him so bad" in the prior interview, Croft said "We didn't get that far." Did AM stop cooperating with LE during that third interview?

Interesting to note that the same day as that third interview Solicitor Duffie Stone (AM worked as a part-time volunteer solicitor in Stone's office) recused himself from prosecuting the Murduagh murders and asked the State AG to take over. Stone's August 11, 2021 recusal letter said this:

"Given the the events today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself in prosecuting these cases."

Last edited:
Agent Croft testified that there was a third interview of AM on August 11, 2021. Regarding the August 11 interview and whether he followed up with AM about his purported statement of "I did him so bad" in the prior interview, Croft said "We didn't get that far." Did AM stop cooperating with LE during that third interview?

Interesting to note that the same day as that third interview Solicitor Duffie Stone (AM worked as a part-time volunteer solicitor in Stone's office) recused himself from prosecuting the Murduagh murders and asked the State AG to take over. Stone's August 11, 2021 recusal letter said this:

"Given the the events today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself in prosecuting these cases."

Yes, I think this was when Alex started to realize he wasn't fooling LE or maybe they implied he was a suspect at that time. Alex officially lawyered up for interviews right after their 3rd 'informal chat'. Griffin was with him when they went to speak to Maggie's family..

MOO

Yes, I think this was when Alex started to realize he wasn't fooling LE or maybe they implied he was a suspect at that time. Alex officially lawyered up for interviews right after their 3rd 'informal chat'. Griffin was with him when they went to speak to Maggie's family..

MOO
Yes, maybe LE's questions finally got more pointed and confrontational at the third interview. JMO.

Jan 31, 2023 -- DAY 7, LIVE TRIAL, AM

First witness: Jeff Croft returns to the stand​

Croft returned to the stand and the defense started the day with their cross-examination. Attorney Jim Griffin led the questioning.

He is a senior special agent with SLED and was first dispatched to the crime scene on Moselle Road on June 8, 2021, the day after the murders. He assisted in evidence collection from there on.

Griffin began by going over the guns entered into evidence in court Monday. Those were guns collected from the Murdaugh's property, including their gun room.

In summary, Croft conceded that none of the guns were loaded similarly to the one alleged to have been used to kill Paul.

It came out that Paul was killed with a steel shot. Croft said he found no steel shot shotgun ammo or fired shells at Moselle.

Croft said Maggie's phone was located using "Find My iPhone" about 2,100 meters (or 1.3 miles) from the murder scene. Alex gave police Maggie's passcode.

He also said the phone wasn't secured in a Faraday Bag (which blocks cell signals) and to his knowledge, one wasn't requested.

When asked, Croft said SLED did look into Alex Murdaugh as a person of interest. He said they started their investigation with a "small circle" of those in the crime scene- Maggie, Paul and Alex. As the only living person in that circle, Croft said he was looked into.

Griffin asked Croft if he knew of any SLED agents going to Alex's mother's house outside Hampton to check on Murdaugh's alibi the morning after the shootings and Croft said he isn't aware, that he didn't personally go.

Griffin insinuated nobody went to investigate at Alex's mother's house until September. Griffin asked wouldn't it have been wise to go to the mother's house immediately to rule Alex out as a suspect? Croft wouldn't commit.
<modsnip- copyright violation>

Court recessed for lunch at 1 p.m. with a return time of 2:15 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member