SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, did the defense just represent that murdering Maggie delayed refinancing, asking rhetorically how that puts AM ahead?

Whatawhatawhatawhata?

JMO
Hard to ignore the fact that RMIII died June 10, so presumably if there was any share of inheritance from his estate due to PM and/or MM (and to their surviving heirs, at least one of whom would presumably be AM), then those assets would have been available to either liquidate or encumber with debt.

Hard to ignore the fact that RMIII died June 10, so presumably if there was any share of inheritance from his estate due to PM and/or MM (and to their surviving heirs, at least one of whom would presumably be AM), then those assets would have been available to either liquidate or encumber with debt.
Yes! He was playing a numbers game. Used events, theatrics, (false) sympathy to buy time. Until he ran out of time.

So he took Maggie's.

JMO

Another reason they may not want Tinsley to testify (“if“ there is anything in those videos)…

Details of the videos and them being turned over to state police come from attorney Mark Tinsley, who originally revealed the information in a March 16, 2022, court hearing for a lawsuit tangential to the Murdaugh criminal investigations.

Waters paints the Labor Day roadside shooting as part of a pattern with Murdaugh - trying to make himself a victim to cover up his crimes. “When the hounds are at the door … for Alex Murdaugh, violence happens.”

Griffin: “This concept that Alex committed murders to cause a delay in the firm investigating the fees was debunked by her own testimony” … that Seckinger stopped investigating when she learned Alex’s father was going to the hospital.

Griffin continued: “That’s what stopped her inquiry on June 7, by her own testimony.” He's saying the PMPED inquiry into Alex was already delayed by late morning 6/7/21, so it makes no sense for Alex to kill Maggie/Paul to delay the inquiry.

Griffin: “It’s all just a theory. There’s no facts. Their theory is the best way out is for him to murder his wife and son” and put himself in the middle of a murder investigation?

Griffin is arguing the financial crimes present undue prejudice. “They’ve got a whole lot more evidence about financial misconduct than they do about murder. … That’s what this is all about.”

Judge Newman said he wants to hear from the attorney for Mallory Beach’s family, Mark Tinsley, and then hear arguments from both sides about the admissibility of all the financial crime evidence before making a final ruling. Tinsley is available to testify Monday morning.

Griffin said they have filed a motion arguing Mark Tinsley should not be allowed to testify. The defense is prepared to argue that tonight or tomorrow morning.

Newman says he won't take up arguments about Tinsley until he is available to testify. Court will begin tomorrow morning at 9:30. (I'm guessing with financial stuff). Then the jury returns at 11:30 a.m.

Waters said Murdaugh's "consciousness of guilt" and "fear of detection" makes the financial crimes admissible. Griffin employs a highly technical legal argument: "I don't know what he's talking about.”

We are done for the day. I will endeavor to write a story about whatever it is that happened today. Stay tuned for that. Or don't. I don't know anymore.

My brain is a mess and I don't think I can safely consume any more caffeine today. Send thoughts and prayers.

I have a feeling AM tried to get his part of the inheritance into a protected trust or given to someone else so it could not be seized. His retirement accounts are protected against seizure.

MOO

Very impressed with this judge. WHATEVER he decides on the admissibility of evidence of AM's financial wrongdoing, I'm inclined to believe he will make a wise judgment.

I do wonder, IF evidence relating to AM's alleged misappropriation of funds is not allowed (or is severely limited), why can't motivation be introduced based upon the following converging events which clearly represented severe financial pressures? (ETA: And reputation-destroying pressures.)

• PM had been indicted by a grand jury and was going to be tried criminally for felony crimes relating to boat crash, with outcome uncertain.
  • Settlement mediation between defendants AM & BM, and the plaintiff had failed on the wrongful death civil case relating to the boat crash. The Court had ordered an accounting of assets held by the defendants by June 10.
  • The Murdaugh’s Insurance company (that had underwritten their blanket policy) had recently declined any claim relating to the boat crash. Any settlement would be from BM's and AM's (and as his spouse, MM's) assets.
  • RMIII was terminally ill and near death (he later died on June 10). His death would trigger inheritance issues; any portions of the inheritance going to AM, BM, or MM (as AM’s spouse), and not into any kind of protected trust, would likely be required to be included in an accounting of assets for the purposes of the wrongful death civil suit and so would be exposed to the potential for loss.
Note that if PM and MM died before RMIII died, then - depending upon how the will was written - the distribution of RMIII’s estate would likely go to either surviving heirs only OR to those plus surviving heirs of PM and MM ( it would be nice to know which as that could indicate motivations by others. Did anyone else’s inheritance share increase as a result of deaths of PM and MM?).

Also if PM died before the wrongful death suit went to trial, then there would be no findings from a criminal trial (since PM would no longer be living to be tried) that a jury might consider when deciding whether to find for an award (and how much) in the civil case.

Also, if PM and MM were to die, since AM and BM would have recently suffered the losses of PM, MM, and RMIII, a jury in a wrongful death civil suit might be less inclined to further injure them by awarding a civil settlement against them.

So, if PM and MM were to die before RMIII did, then AM (and BM) might monetarily benefit from inheritance of increased shares of RMIII’s estate and they might also benefit because the plaintiff in the wrongful death civil suit might be motivated to dismiss the civil suit against them or to settle for a relative minor sum.

So.... the confrontation by the CFO of PMPED about the discovery of AM having misappropriated funds increased pressure by adding the risk of exposure of that wrongdoing, which would likely be followed by demands for repayment, but there was plenty of pressure already present before that confrontation.

ETA: Are there just too many "what if's" to consider these factors, even when simply trying to get into the defendant's head on June 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1