SC SC - Sophia Vandam, 20, and Matayo Vandam, 2, Beaufort, 24 Jun 2023 *last seen in Beaufort before driving to Sumter*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
wach.com

Sumter Police searching for missing mother and toddler last seen in Beaufort

[...]

Sophia Vandam, 20, and Matayo Vandam, 2, were last seen on June 24 in Beaufort before driving back to Sumter.

[...]

Officials say her car is at her home.

It is not clear where they may have gone, if they are riding with someone else or walking, according to officials.

If you see them or know where they can be found please call the Sumter Police Department at 803-436-2700

JUN 30, 2023
It’s been six days since anyone saw a Sumter woman and a 2-year-old - and details surrounding the investigation remain limited.

[...]

Officers spoke with Sophia’s mother, who told them she had not seen or heard from her daughter in several days.

Her car, however, was at that Sumter home. News19 crews drove by on Friday, and it was not there. Sumter Police said it’s in their custody.

One neighbor who lives near the home said the Vandams were quiet and kept to themselves. The mother regularly mowed the lawn while the 2-year-old ran back and forth on the front porch.

[...]

JUN 30, 2023
It’s been six days since anyone saw a Sumter woman and a 2-year-old - and details surrounding the investigation remain limited.

[...]

Officers spoke with Sophia’s mother, who told them she had not seen or heard from her daughter in several days.

Her car, however, was at that Sumter home. News19 crews drove by on Friday, and it was not there. Sumter Police said it’s in their custody.

One neighbor who lives near the home said the Vandams were quiet and kept to themselves. The mother regularly mowed the lawn while the 2-year-old ran back and forth on the front porch.

[...]
Why isn't this headline news, cops took her car. That tells us something ...
I found an old facebook page from years ago, but nothing recent. Does Sophia work? Cell phone, purse - were they in the home too?

Sophia's mother speaks on her daughter and grandson's disappearance.
Well, now we know why the car was impounded. :(

From the article:

[...]

Theresa said she got a call from her daughter the Sunday before Father’s Day.

“It was between her and her boyfriend. Something must’ve happened she felt scared or whatever, so she wanted to come home, her, and Matteo. So, we told her to come home,” she said.

Theresa said Sophia and Matteo came home to Beaufort that next day and had plans to stay and live with her parents but was unsure what to do with her home in Sumter. Vandam says

Sophia and Matteo were in Beaufort up until June 22, according to Theresa.

“When I came home from work on the 22nd all the stuff that we had brought down for her and Matteo, that would fit in our cars we brought it down. She was setting her room back up and we were preparing for them to be there for a while. Came back from work at 3:30 the doors were locked, and all of their stuff was gone,” said Theresa.

[...]

Several other wellness checks were done before police released a missing person’s report on Thursday, June 29.

[...]

A neighbor who did not want to be identified told WIS about the last time he saw anyone inside Sophia’s car.

“It was two guys and a little kid, but it wasn’t the kid, that I’ve been seeing on the news,” the neighbor said.

The police impounded the car on Thursday for forensics.

[...]

After reading this latest story, I don't know what to think. Sophia packed up all the stuff which had been moved to her Mom's and left, that speaks to her leaving on her own accord. What kind of "crazy things" was she saying to her Mom on June 24th?

What did her boyfriend witness? Was he with her on June 24th - or at all after June 22 when she went to her Mom's in Beaufort? Why aren't police speaking about him?

I have some suspicions, but I don't want to say them out loud :(

After reading this latest story, I don't know what to think. Sophia packed up all the stuff which had been moved to her Mom's and left, that speaks to her leaving on her own accord. What kind of "crazy things" was she saying to her Mom on June 24th?

What did her boyfriend witness? Was he with her on June 24th - or at all after June 22 when she went to her Mom's in Beaufort? Why aren't police speaking about him?

I have some suspicions, but I don't want to say them out loud :(

I question whether Sophia was the one who packed up all her stuff and removed it from her mother's home. Or if she did, that she did it willingly.

Her mother said Sophia's car hadn't moved in several days. Several days since when? And when were the two men and the kid seen near Sophia's car?

I also wonder if the texts sent to her mother sounded crazy because they weren't sent by Sophia at all.

I certainly want to believe that she left of her own accord and is holed up somewhere safe, but I'm not convinced at this point. MOO

Last edited:
I question whether Sophia was the one who packed up all her stuff and removed it from her mother's home. Or if she did, that she did it willingly.

Her mother said Sophia's car hadn't moved in several days. Several days since when? And when were the two men and the kid seen near Sophia's car?

I also wonder if the texts sent to her mother sounded crazy because they weren't sent by Sophia at all.

I certainly want to believe that she left of her own accord and is holed up somewhere safe, but I'm not convinced at this point. MOO
Not "near" her car, witness said "in" her car. Most concerning, the boyfriend had help it sounds like? Does he also have a car? Why use Sophia's?

I assumed Sophia was safe at her mom's house, therefore if the items were missing it would only be her that removed them. Her Mom didn't seem to have any concerns about particular issue. Maybe she has cameras?

Bottom line, not looking good Pommy :(

Wow, how brazen do you have to be to roll up with another dude on your gf's family home with intent to take her from there whether it be willingly or not? Add to the fact that this was done while Sophia's family was not there tells you that this wasn't something that had any good behind it whatsoever

It just hit me. Why no mention of the boyfriend on whether or not he has been spoken to or if he has cooperated with LE? Is he missing as well?
Sophia Van Dam, 20, and 2-year-old son Matteo have not been heard from in 12 days, since June 24 when they were seen by a family friend in Beaufort. Mother and son were reportedly returning to Sumter, where they had recently moved with Van Dam’s boyfriend, Jonas Jerry Washington, Jr. of Burton.

Sophia grew up in Beaufort and graduated from Battery Creek High School. Her parents are Theresa and Henry (Jim), former Parris Island drill instructors who own Abba Construction.

“We’re not being given a lot of information, for whatever reason, and that concerns me,” Theresa Van Dam says. Tonyia McGirt, a spokesperson for Sumter police, said the case is continuing. “We are continuing to work it,” McGirt said Wednesday.

The last time Theresa Van Dam saw Sophia and Matteo was 1 a.m. Wednesday, June 21 in Beaufort. She seemed confused and Theresa wanted to take her to the hospital but her daughter was gone when she returned home on Thursday.

Desiree Pevey, Sophia’s sister, says calls to her cell phone have been going to voicemail since June 26.

“That’s highly unusual. This girl always had a cell phone,” Pevey said. “It was always on. It was always in her hand.”

To Pevey, it doesn’t seem as if the disappearance of her sister and her son is getting as much attention as higher profile cases. She understands it’s an active investigation, she said, but it would be nice if authorities provided “a couple crumbs here and there.”

“My mom, she’s on a verge of a breakdown,” Pevey said. “None of us are sleeping at night.”

Read more at: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/community/beaufort-news/article277062903.html#storylink=cpy

BEAUFORT COUNTY, Sc. (WTOC) - Beaufort authorities have joined in the search for a missing South Carolina woman and her two-year-old son.

The Beaufort County Sherriff’s Office is helping Sumter police in the search for a missing woman and her son. The woman recently moved to Sumter but was planning to move back to her parent’s house in Beaufort.

20-year-old Sophia Van Dam and her two-year-old son Matteo have not been seen by her family since late June. According to Van Dam’s mother, Sophia went missing before she was supposed to move back to Beaufort. Because of this, the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office has appointed an investigator to assist Sumter Police with the search, including running down leads and interviews.

Good!! I hope the BCSO investigator has the time and resources to make some progress in this case!

JUL 12, 2023
“Sophia no matter what has happened. We love you. You and Matteo and we’re here for you and we want you to come back,” Van Dam’s mother, Theresa Van Dam, said, according to WIS News.

“Matteo is just like any 2-year-old. He’s very inquisitive, wants to be outside, wants to explore. Sophia is 20 years old she would be 21 on October 21st. She was very bright, very smart, very street smart. So, I’m hoping whatever happened her instinct kicked in to protect her child.”

Theresa says she thinks her daughter may have been afraid of her boyfriend, which prompted her to want to move back home in June.

“It was between her and her boyfriend. Something must’ve happened she felt scared or whatever, so she wanted to come home, her, and Matteo. So, we told her to come home,” she said.

1689337299833.jpeg

20-year-old Sophia Van Dam and her 2-year-old son Matteo have not been heard or seen since June 24, after they were last seen by a family friend Beaufort. The family says the mother and son were returning to Sumter. The two had recently moved there with Sophia’s boyfriend, Jonas Jerry Washington, Jr.of Burton, South Carolina.
1689337275893.jpeg
24-year-old Jonas Jerry Washington, Jr.
Sumter police are leading the investigation and assisted by the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office. Sophia’s mother, Theresa Van Dam, said she and her family had not received much information about the investigation.

This article has more information, including the fact that her car is still at her boyfriends house. Based on this article, it sounds like they have searched the area around the house, however, not clear or if they have search the inside.

Although there was a inmate photo of Jonas Jerry Washington, her boyfriend, after an inmate search for South Carolina it looks like he is not being held at this time.

Regardless, hoping for news different than what I think it will be.

Moo

JUL 16, 2023
[...]

"She called on the fourth and said she wanted to come home, that she had talked to my husband and said she wanted to live at home," said Van Dam.

Van Dam believed the call may have stemmed from the relationship with her boyfriend who had been physical in the past.

[...]

"She called me up and said mom if I ever call you up in the middle of the night, no matter what time and say mom I need to come home, is it okay," said Van Dam explaining what her daughter said in phone call to her in May.

Van Dam says while her daughter was living at home, she seemed fine until the morning of June 21.

That's the last time Van Dam would see her daughter and grandson.

"She wasn't acting right, she was talking out the side of her head, repeating herself like five times and she just wasn't acting right," said Van Dam.

She says in their last conversation she worried her daughter may have been having a mental breakdown.

"I said Sophia, I think you are having some sort of psychotic breakdown let me take you to the hospital... she refused to let me do that," said Van Dam.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back