SC SC - Stanley Kotowski, 60, Hilton Head, 16 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, thank you for posting. The family received that footage *today*. I do not know why it took a week to obtain it, but before now all they had was the screenshot everyone else has seen. It turns out he was last seen walking in the opposite direction (to the Northeast) of where the investigators had been focusing (the South).

That said, apparently you can leave in the direction Stan was last seen walking in on the footage and still wrap around to head South, so who knows how helpful the footage actually is. (And the entire island has been looking for him, regardless of direction, so...)

Jackie also noted Stan does not own a personal cell phone, and he left his work phone in his home office in MA.

Appreciate all the out-of-the-box thinking on this thread, it's why I've been a long-time lurker of this forum. I do not believe rabies or animal bites are involved here. As for alligators, anything's possible at this point. It would be nice to have some answers, that's for sure. We're all so puzzled.

It turns out he was last seen walking in the opposite direction (to the Northeast) of where the investigators had been focusing (the South).
Thank you for being here @Orange And Purple , it’s always nice to have those who know the family and missing involved in these discussion.
Re: the direction he was last seen going on the Ring video- I found it interesting that he seemed to walk from the front door and down the porch with a fairly clear purpose, although he didn’t look particularly rushed or stressed. But when he got to the street, his certainty really seemed to falter, and he almost seemed to walk in a small circle, slowly, before slowly walking out of view.
Seems like this may help focus the review of available surveillance footage, but now seeing how far the street was from the front door, I doubt that the majority of motion-activated Ring doorbell cameras (or similar brand devices) would pick up his motion if he stayed in the street where it appears he was walking. I know these have different settings but I don’t think many would pick up motion that far out from the front doors on a residential street.
Just my opinion and speculation based on my own personal doorbell camera.

Their rental is/was at the extreme southern end of the Island. There's a marina rather close by, the Salty Dog cafe, otherwise pretty much residential. Their rental is rather close to the beach. There's really no way to go any further around that southern tip as the cove enters there. I've been there several times, on the beach, riding my bike. It's a dead end around there, and often a couple folks fishing. The whole area around there is pretty active with people moving about, walking, riding bikes, hanging out on the beach, etc.

I'm inclined to speculate he's either nearby in an unused, moored boat, or possibly lying in a concealed area among thick vegetation, but both these idea to me are hard to imagine given the immediate area and the number of folks that are normally out and about.

Possibly in a concealed location among trees at the edge of the dunes where the trees begin? A gator is unlikely as he'd most likely have been seen/heard, or at minimum, found. Possibly swept out to sea on currents? Walked in to the water never to be seen from again?

Maybe a boat ride to Daufuskie Island, which has lots of remote area to get lost in.

Lastly, it's possible to enter and leave Sea Pines without going through the main gates, but it's difficult to do so. He may have hitched a ride out of there? But if that were the case, the person driving him out would likely come forward, unless of course, they were unaware he is missing.

I’ve just noticed this case and am trying to catch up.

I’m not very familiar with HHI and have nothing to offer but my prayers for a happy resolution, with Stan found safely and soon.

I feel the dagger through the heart of the family. I understand Stan does not have dementia but is enduring a mental health crisis. My mom is older than Stan and does have dementia—-she’s in Florida and was a middle of the night wanderer until we just recently had to put her in memory care.
We were always petrified of her falling into the lakes in her gated community because of the many alligators in Florida.

I grasp that Stan’s situation is different, but my heart aches and breaks for this very loving and involved family.

Thank you, @RedAndBlue and @Orange And Purple for your efforts to inform us about your relative Stan.

Prayers for Jackie and their sons. God willing he is found safe. A week is too long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back