SC SC - Stanley Kotowski, 60, Hilton Head, 16 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you @Curiousobserver for posting this. Of course this news begs the question why today's search was called off just before it was to start. Hopefully, LE or the family will post an update later today. From your article is also this:

"On Saturday, the sheriff’s office released video of Kotowski leaving his vacation rental on South Sea Pines Drive. It was the last confirmed sighting of the man, who has now been missing for over a week. The doorbell camera video, just over a minute long, shows Kotowski, barefoot, walking down the front steps to the condo and out onto the path toward the parking lot. Halfway through the video, Kotowski stands in the parking lot with his hands on his hips facing away from the rental. After a few seconds, he turns right and walks out of frame."

I don't recall seeing a full minute of that video, so perhaps this written description could offer more subtle clues about SK's odd disappearance and where he might have been headed. OPs with maps, what was to SK's right from the vacation unit?

My heart is so heavy for your family and all of you are in my prayers.

Something I’ve been wondering: I just can’t imagine why a public CCTV like at a restaurant or near a stop light hasn’t picked him up at some point. Sounds like Ring cams on private homes have too much set back. I’ve never been to HH — maybe “low tech” is part of the appeal? Not into CCTV?

Could he be hiding *under* a home? I know with potential for bad coastal storms, many beach houses in Wrightsville, Sea Island, around the Outer Banks, etc. don’t have basements and are elevated off the ground with that gap surrounded with lattice. Great place to hide.
Sadly, you were right @LetsSolvIt.

"BCSO said Kotowski was found deceased on Monday under a house in the Sea Pines neighborhood after receiving a call about suspicious activity."

For anyone else following, the local stations are reporting that he was found deceased in a nearby home today.
How incredibly tragic, and so deeply sorry for his family. Although we don't know if it is the case, but if he was determined to take his own life, then they wouldn't have been able to find him in time. May he rest in peace now from his struggles. And deepest sympathy to his wife and children, other family members and friends.

WJCL ABC 22 has additional information from the family.

His family confirmed the news Monday afternoon, saying his body was found four houses down from their rental unit underneath that home.

According to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office, authorities were alerted to the rental home around 11:30 a.m. Monday. Kotowski's body was found underneath the home.

Last edited:
I wonder if the phrase "Under the home" is misleading in this instance, as so many beach-front homes are stilted. In any case, my condolences for his family. :(
I am wondering if he was looking for a house that he could get underneath when we see him looking around on the video?

I'm so sorry for this sad outcome and my sincere condolences to his family.

jmo

Thank you so much for the kind words and for keeping it classy on here. The local FB groups began turning it into some True Crime Murder Mystery aimed at the family the past couple of days and it was truly awful to witness some of the comments being made.

While this is obviously not the outcome any of us were hoping for, I can say for myself it is somewhat relieving to have answers. Stan was a truly high quality, kind, caring, loving person. All the good things. Our collective family loves him and is going to miss him very much.

Thanks again for all the civilized discussion and creative idea sharing here. It's meant a lot to our family.

Thank you so much for the kind words and for keeping it classy on here. The local FB groups began turning it into some True Crime Murder Mystery aimed at the family the past couple of days and it was truly awful to witness some of the comments being made.

While this is obviously not the outcome any of us were hoping for, I can say for myself it is somewhat relieving to have answers. Stan was a truly high quality, kind, caring, loving person. All the good things. Our collective family loves him and is going to miss him very much.

Thanks again for all the civilized discussion and creative idea sharing here. It's meant a lot to our family.
You have my sympathies, and while it was painful knowing one of our members was going through this stressful situation, I appreciated your posts and looked for them.

jmo

So sorry for this tragic outcome. My heart goes out to @RedAndBlue and @Orange And Purple and in particular to Stanley’s immediate family.

How terrible that he was just four houses away.

I hadn’t seen the video previously, so thank you, @Curiousobserver. I watched it just before scrolling down to see he’d been found deceased. At the tail end of the video I felt he looked confused, not purposeful, but that is beside the point now.

I wonder if the phrase "Under the home" is misleading in this instance, as so many beach-front homes are stilted. In any case, my condolences for his family. :(

I grew up on a beach. No Hilton Head but not far from there. Stilted beach homes were often wrapped in lattice to make an enclosed, private space on the ground floor. Speaking from experience, they can be difficult to find your way out of if you aren't thinking clearly (such as after a late night college party). I wonder if in his mental state he found himself trapped?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obamna
Back