SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder would could cause a linear fracture 7" long that wasn't a baseball bat? She mentioned the fracture not being similar to baseball bat blows. When I look it up in medical journals and writings by MEs, it looks like the only difference they state is baseball fractures show depression of the skull. But some reports state that if the head is free to move when the blow occurs, there can be minimal depression.

I'm just trying to imagine what would be able to create that length of a skull fracture without depression.

I wonder would could cause a linear fracture 7" long that wasn't a baseball bat? She mentioned the fracture not being similar to baseball bat blows. When I look it up in medical journals and writings by MEs, it looks like the only difference they state is baseball fractures show depression of the skull. But some reports state that if the head is free to move when the blow occurs, there can be minimal depression.

I'm just trying to imagine what would be able to create that length of a skull fracture without depression.

Did she rule out a truck mirror causing that injury? It seems to me that the edge of a mirror could potentially do that.

If that is the case, it is a bit of a mystery as to why this case wasn't more vigorously investigated, but that could have to do with the victims orientation and lack of interest but it seems like they are right back to where they started.

If the story of Connolly and Wilson are true, are they the ones perhaps who started rumors to draw attention away from themselves?

@TheEricBland

Regarding the Steven Smith investigation, my frustration regarding the slow pace got the best of me this week so I called Chief Keel with Sled. He was straightforward with me. He told me that unfortunately Stephen’s investigation got sidelined this fall because of all the Alex Murdaugh machinations regarding alleged jury tampering and preparations for the November 27 Gloria Satterfield trial. He said now that Alex Murdaugh has pled guilty to the financial crimes charges on the state level, SLED will turn its attention back to Stephen’s investigation. Chief Keel told me that the investigation is “very much active” and that “there are a number of issues and leads they are pursuing”. I have found him to always be honest with me so I will take him at his word. EB

6:04 PM · Nov 22, 2023

Did she rule out a truck mirror causing that injury? It seems to me that the edge of a mirror could potentially do that.

From that NY Post article that gets its info from the clip they have access to from the upcoming 48 hours special:

"Because of the location and size of the fracture, she believes he was killed in the roadway, but denies the possibility that Smith was struck in a head-on."

A bit surprising to me. A blow to the forehead. How on earth could a vehicle sneak up on you if it was coming towards you and not behind you? JMO

A bit surprising to me. A blow to the forehead. How on earth could a vehicle sneak up on you if it was coming towards you and not behind you? JMO
He's walking in the dark, hears a car behind him approaching but it doesn't sound like it's in the correct lane / driving toward him.and turns around to look last second?

If that is the case, it is a bit of a mystery as to why this case wasn't more vigorously investigated, but that could have to do with the victims orientation and lack of interest but it seems like they are right back to where they started.

If the story of Connolly and Wilson are true, are they the ones perhaps who started rumors to draw attention away from themselves?
No road rash on the victim or vehicle debris on the road. A mirror would shatter glass and plastic pieces on the road from the force, we experienced that with a glancing blow with a roo years ago. It trashed our mirror.

MOO

No road rash on the victim or vehicle debris on the road. A mirror would shatter glass and plastic pieces on the road from the force, we experienced that with a glancing blow with a roo years ago. It trashed our mirror.

MOO
Those large mirrors with metal housings that are used by people who tow trailers (horse trailers, rvs, etc) could withstand some impacts, and would not leave plastic shards around.

Edited to add: one day many years ago, I was driving a work truck through the woods (on a logging road) and grazed a pine tree with one of those mirrors. It crumpled the door (heavy metal body, Dodge 350 panel truck), but the mirror was undamaged. I was driving slowly, but it shows you how sturdy those mirrors are. And, ironically, this happened in Hampton County, SC!!!

If he was upright like walking or running and was struck with a bat or even a piece of wood or tire iron, maybe then less depressinon as the head/upper body would move WITH the momentum of the blow to the head - as opposed to someome flat on the floor/ground where there is resistance to the blow and no give to the head/body AGAINST the resistance, JMO

I have thought from the beginning that it was one blow with a baseball bat. She is basing her opinion on 'blows' made with a baseball bat. There appears to be just one blow from a baseball bat. What I'm visualizing is that the truck was coming towards Stephen's front and maybe someone if the back bed of the truck swung the bat as the truck was passing closely by him. JMO.
I'm very curious as to what, at the Murdaugh house, prompted LE to open the investigation into Stephen's death. JMO

Last edited:
I have thought from the beginning that it was one blow with a baseball bat. She is basing her opinion on 'blows' made with a baseball bat. There appears to be just one blow from a baseball bat. What I'm visualizing is that the truck was coming towards Stephen's front and maybe someone if the back bed of the truck swung the bat as the truck was passing closely by him. JMO.
I'm very curious as to what, at the Murdaugh house, prompted LE to open the investigation into Stephen's death. JMO
I’ve always thought this too…

In my opinion — You got it!

Exactly what I’ve always thought — kids in the back of a truck with a bat. And what did LE find back in June 2021?

Hope one day we will learn and there will be Justice for Stephen.

"There was no vehicle debris, no broken headlight … paint scrapes or anything," Hampton County Guardian editor Michael DeWitt Jr. tells "48 Hours."

"The injuries can tell us so much about what happened," says Dr. Michelle DuPre, a former investigator and forensic pathologist who oversaw the examination of Smith's body. DuPre spoke to "48 Hours" contributor and CBS News national correspondent Nikki Battiste. Just as important as what they found, DuPre says, is what they didn't find.

Like his mother Sandy, Stephen Smith was born a fighter.

Sandy Smith: He was a preemie. He weighed two pounds, 12 ounces. And —

Nikki Battiste: A twin?

Sandy Smith: Yeah, a twin.

Born at 27 weeks with his sister Stephanie, Sandy says Stephen couldn't breathe on his own. After several months, she was told he might not make it, and she was finally allowed to hold her baby for the first time.

Nikki Battiste: How was that moment?

Sandy Smith: Oh my gosh, it was amazin'. … it was supposed to be my goodbye. But he started breathin' on his own.

Nikki Battiste: 'Cause he felt you?

Sandy Smith: Yeah. … That's why he was my heart.

Sandy never dreamed she'd one day be fighting for answers in her son's death.

Nikki Battiste: How would you describe … the journey that you've been on for justice?

Sandy Smith: It's been a hard journey – just living day by day and fighting day by day.

Instead of a bat, could it have been a machete? The barrel of a rifle? Length of pipe? I agree that Stephen may have been struck by someone in a truck bed.

I, too, wonder what was discovered at the Murdaugh house to cause SLED to reopen the case. I think it had to be fairly obvious it was related to Stephen's case because, iirc, SLED made that announcement very soon into the investigation of Paul's and Maggie's murders. And it's not like they probably had Stephen's case at the front of their minds when investigating PM's and MM's murders.

Imo.

@TheEricBland

I am in Philadelphia with my son Davis to watch the Eagles v Bills today but we were able to watch 48 hours last night on Stephen Smith. I thought they did a real good job of explaining the frustration we all feel that Stephen’s death has not been solved after 8 years. Sandy Smith was so good. Just a caring mother who is dogged about finding out what happened to her son. I was surprised how much CBS focused on the Murdaughs in connection with Stephen’s story. What did you think? EB

8:53 AM · Nov 26, 2023

Instead of a bat, could it have been a machete? The barrel of a rifle? Length of pipe? I agree that Stephen may have been struck by someone in a truck bed.

I, too, wonder what was discovered at the Murdaugh house to cause SLED to reopen the case. I think it had to be fairly obvious it was related to Stephen's case because, iirc, SLED made that announcement very soon into the investigation of Paul's and Maggie's murders. And it's not like they probably had Stephen's case at the front of their minds when investigating PM's and MM's murders.

Imo.
JMO but whatever hit him also left blue paint chips behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back